View Full Version : OKC Urban Renewal Authority, The Hill, The Triangle

metro
02-23-2005, 10:56 PM
I know there has been some discussion and after yesterday's Journal Record article and today's Daily Oklahoman article in regards to the article, I'm sure there will be much more discussion. Today I attended what was thought to be the final Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority (OCURA) meeting in regards to choosing the developer of "The Hill".

Three finalists were chosen months in advance for their final proposals today. The first firm was led by Anthony McDermid of TAP architecture and his partners (Walnut Hill Redeveloper Partners) in the project. The presentation was quite professional and they did their homework. Their financing was more than sufficient and was already backed. The proposed project would be named "Ellison Park on the Hill" after the historic Ralph Ellison of the original Deep Deuce area. This project perfectly incorporated the "town center" theme common in larger cities. It perfectly blended retail, ownership, rental uses as well as covered parking. It also included parklike common areas, picnic and outdoor ampitheatre areas which I think are essential to downtown. One thing TAP failed was to keep the presentation under the requested time frame of 30 minutes.

The second firm, The Hill at Bricktown, LLC I personally strongly did not like in the least bit. It was a collection of different partners. The presentation was week and constantly encountered problems. Another thing they lacked was the use of rental units and retail (2 of the 3 requested components asked for by OCURA in the project). The proposed development would be all ownership. Additionally, I did not like the layout they had proposed. They definetely did not do their homework and kept dodging questions by steering off course. There is a possiblity that this could end up a gated, private community with no public areas. A Very influential boardmember and person in the OKC Business community strongly denounced the other proposals and publicly interrupted the 3rd presentation trying to persuade the board to vote for this proposal despite public concerns. Another concern of mine regarding this project is no financing was guaranteed, they were asking for public or government assistance, and they wanted to name the project Hill at Bricktown. In my opinion this area is not Bricktown and I think this project must realize the "Deep Deuce" historical value.

The 3rd and final proposal , Wood Partners, a Bricktown architectural partnership for over 20 years in Bricktown. They also had an excellent presentation, had solid financial backing with no request for government funds or assistance, and had done their homework in all aspects. The design was okay however they proposed 300 apartment units with no retail or ownership. A rebuttal mentioned is that a similar project in downtown Atlanta was converted from rental to ownership as the market generated interest and could also be done in OKC. I didnt care for the siding on apartments, it was something you would expect for the Quail Springs area. The layout was okay and like the first firm, considered road noise from I235 into their plans. Additionally, Bob Minders (owner and developer of the Steel Yard) was in a symbiotic relationship with this group. Mr. Minders has no ownership interest in this project however the two projects would flow together the area of "The Hill" into the Steel Yard area creating a central theme. The Steel Yard would incorporate a similar design but offer mixed use such as condos, retail, rental units, ownership, lofts, entertainment venue, etc.

I strongly encourage each of you to contact OCURA and voice your concern as they seemed to dismiss the young, twentysomething professional voice, as well as the empty nester and our interests and opinions, yet throughout the presentations expressed how our demographics would be pivotal in the success of building something like this. This decision will have a huge, Economic Development impact on the area. The second proposal would generate no additional income to the city other than property taxes. Additionally, I personally think creating what could become a potential private, gated community with no public access would be detrimental. Fortunately, OCURA decided not to make the decision today and to recess for a week or two. If you can, you also may want to show up at the Special Meeting when the decision will be made. I will try to keep you all posted. One thing I might add, this project will be the first, of many in the Triangle district. This will be a fractional piece over a portion of time. I do not think this area will be fully developed for probably a decade just to elaborate more on a previous thread. Below is an excerpt from the "Triangle" thread.

QUOTE: The 3rd Oklahoma City's largest inner-urban residential project in decades is planned and waiting for city approval.

A team of local developers, real estate experts and architects plans to develop an area known as The Triangle in downtown Oklahoma City. The group filed a request to establish a planned unit development Monday, just 48 hours shy of interviewing for the rights to develop a city-owned, 11-acre tract known as The Hill, which borders The Triangle.

Their plan is threefold.

The Triangle, which consists of approximately 30 acres - owned by about 10 proprietors - and borders Interstate 235 to the east, Bricktown to the south, Broadway to the west and 10th Street to the north, is set to be developed into a residential, commercial and retail district with land and street scaping.

The team - Anthony McDermid, principal at TAParchitecture; Ronald Bradshaw, of Colony Partners, a real estate development and investment company, who represents Kerr-McGee's holdings in the area; William Garrett, manager of real estate firm Garrett and Co.; and Bert Belanger, president of ORB, a development firm and manager of OKC Town Center - will attend an Oklahoma City Planning Commission meeting in mid-April to talk about rezoning the area to allow development of the three land uses in the same corridor. The information will be reviewed in May and if all goes well, construction of the first phase - brownstone-style townhouses on NE Third Street - will begin later this year.

"The vision for The Triangle is to create a city within a city where the neighborhood has been thoughtfully planned; from having a pharmacy and grocery store within walking distance of the homes to designing retail spaces that complement the look and feel of the neighborhood," McDermid said.

While specific construction plans remain undetermined, the team envisions hundreds of owner-occupied townhouses, condominium units and high-rise condominiums. The buildings will primarily be three and four stories tall with access to Bricktown and the medical center.

"It's not only about the opportunity to create a legacy but an awesome responsibility of what Oklahoma City is about in 2005," McDermid said. "We're ready to raise the bar against other communities we compete with."

The project would be in Ward 7, represented on the City Council by Willa Johnson.

"I think the time has come for us to make the property on The Hill productive and The Triangle project looks very promising to me," she said. "I'm glad (they're) putting a denser population close to downtown that can take advantage of our cultural amenities."

Currently, the property is vacant.

"In the next five years, you'll see the area change a great deal in appearance," Bradshaw said. "We want to complement what we already have, not pull away from it."

When finished, the entire project will have cost hundreds of millions of dollars and will be paid for by private investors, the team said.

Whether or not the Metropolitan Area Projects (MAPS) is responsible for The Triangle project, is debatable.

"It's fair to say that development on some basis, sped up the process," Bradshaw said.

McDermid agreed.

"There's speculation that MAPS enhanced this," he said.

In November 2004, the team was one of about a dozen that applied to the Urban Renewal Authority for the rights to develop The Hill, which is bordered by I-235 and Stiles Avenue on the west and east and NE Second Street and a railroad right of way to the north and south. A decision granting the right to develop that area will be made after Wednesday.

Patrick
02-24-2005, 10:05 PM
Here's the article metro was referring to:
------------
"Three teams make plays for downtown hill

By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

Three development teams wanting to build on a hill overlooking Bricktown and Deep Deuce were questioned Wednesday about their ability to start construction quickly as Urban Renewal commissioners seek to boost downtown housing.

With each proposal, commissioners were told construction could begin within a year on what would be an expansion of existing housing in Deep Deuce.

Of the three proposals presented Wednesday, one, by The Hill at Bricktown LLC , seeks $4 million in public financing for a proposal to build 141 owner-occupied town homes.

Commissioner Fred Hall warned he would vote against a second proposal by Atlanta-based Wood Partners to build 300 apartments because they would not consider converting part of the project into condominiums. Hall questioned whether the third competing developer, Walnut Hill Redevelopers, was committed to building all 272 units of a proposed mixed loft and town house project without completing it in phases.

The Urban Renewal-owned 12.6 acres, on what is known as the "hill" at NE 1 and Stiles, is considered to be one of most desired spots for downtown housing because it within walking distance of Bricktown and the health sciences district, and has a view of the downtown skyline.

Selection of a developer is expected within the next month.

The proposals range between $22 million and $39 million. Consultant Lawrence Good provided commissioners with an evaluation that raises concerns with each proposal.

Wood Partners was given high marks for its track record, which includes building 16,000 units in the past six years, but Good said the proposal had "poor" diversity in the types of apartments proposed, and "marginal" architectural design, public space and street layout.

Good gave a favorable review to the street design and diversity of product offered as part of the Ellison Park on The Hill proposed by Walnut Hill Redevelopers. He said he could not judge design because the proposal only included rough sketches. He described the development track record of the team as "marginal overall."

William Canfield, lead partner of The Hill at Bricktown LLC., acknowledged his team doesn't include any "major" developers. Canfield was founder of Novazyme Pharmaceuticals, and his partners include oilman and contractor Steve Clark.

Good said the lack of a development track record was a "weakness" in Canfield's proposal. But Good also described the experience of the development team overall as "excellent."

Canfield also agreed to consider whether he could add more residences to his proposal. Good recommended commissioners require a minimum of 200 units for the hill's development.

Good said Urban Renewal commissioners will have a tough choice. He said he will update his evaluation based on Wednesday's presentations.

"All three proposals are good ones," Good said.
---------------
1. The Hill at Bricktown
Number of units: 141.

Development team: Oklahoma City historic preservationist Marva Ellard; William Canfield, founder of Novazyme Pharmaceuticals, oilman and contractor Steve Clark; Humphreys and Planners Architects.

Financing: Development team equity.

Investment: $34.4 million.

Land purchase offer: $2,003,800.

Public financing: $4 million Tax Increment Financing.

Average rent or sale price: $275,000 (sale).

Retail: None.

--------------
2. Ellison Park at the Hill

Number of units: 272.

Development team: Bert Belanger, former vice president of ERC Properties and developer of the Breighton Apartments in Paseo; Anthony McDermid, principal of TAParchitecture; and William "Pat" Garrett, president of Gulf Exploration and director of Heartland Homes.

Financing: Trammell Crow.

Investment: $39 million.

Land purchase offer: $1,306,800.

Public financing: Reinvestment of land purchase funds back into project.

Average rent or sale price: $1.15 per square foot for lofts, $249,375 for town home sales.

Retail: Ground floor retail.
------------------

3. Alta Bricktown

Number of units: 300.

Development team: Wood Partners; Architectural Design Group.

Financing: Westplan Investors.

Investment: $22 million.

Land purchase offer: $1.5 million.

Public financing: None.

Average rent or sale price: 93 cents per square foot.

Retail: None.

Patrick
02-24-2005, 10:07 PM
metro, thanks for attending the meeting. And thanks for sharing the information with us. Please give us any information you may have on the next meeting....i.e., times, places, etc?

Patrick
02-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Just to remind everyone....here's a good review of the 3 proposals. This has been posted before, but I thought I'd post it again.

"Three groups pitch housing for coveted downtown area
By Steve Lackmeyer
Staff Writer

Three development groups are pitching residential projects valued between $22.1 million and $36.7 million for one of Oklahoma City's most coveted downtown properties. The 12.6 acres, on what is known as the "hill" at NE 1 and Stiles, overlooks Deep Deuce, Bricktown and the health-sciences district with a view of the downtown skyline.

Two of the proposals delivered Wednesday to the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority are linked to other nearby developments.
------------
(1) Atlanta-based Wood Partners, listed No. 6 among the country's top 50 apartment complex builders by Builder Magazine, proposes building 300 lofts in a series of three- story buildings.

The project would be designed by Architectural Design Group and would be planned to connect with a $12 million residential, retail and office development by Robert Meinders on Sheridan Avenue dubbed "the Steel Yard."

Project architect Scott Dedmon said the two projects would be owned by different developers, but would be designed as part of one master plan.

The apartments would be lofts, he said, featuring stained floors, exposed duct work and 10-foot-high ceilings.

Dedmon called the hill one of downtown's most valuable sites for new housing.

"It's in the core of everything right now with everything going on in Bricktown, downtown and the health sciences center," Dedmon said.
-----------
(2)Walnut Hill Redevelopment Partners, meanwhile, would build 84 lofts and 134 brownstone residences in conjunction with a development just north of the property dubbed "Oklahoma City Town Center."

The team includes Town Center developers Pat Garrett, Bert Belanger and Anthony McDermid, and Somerset Partners, which bought the existing 294-unit Deep Deuce Apartments last year.

As part of the proposal, Somerset promises to build new for-sale brownstones on several Deep Deuce properties the company owns but has not been developed.

Project architect Hans Butzer said the proposal also suggests the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority consider buying adjacent land owned by the Oklahoma Transportation Department to allow for possible development of an $11 million residential high-rise.

"It's a high profile site, immediately adjacent to the highway, and while it's not a part of this property, it really would make a great location for a high rise," Butzer said.

The proposal by Butzer's team calls for a mix of rental lofts, live/work spaces along Stiles Avenue, townhomes for sale.

"This project needs to re-establish our standard for downtown housing," Butzer said. "While Deep Deuce was good, it's not at a quality we're all looking for."
-------------
(3)The third proposal by The Hill at Bricktown LLC. suggests building 141 upscale homes in a development that would make a strong connection to Deep Deuce's history as a former black business and entertainment district.

Homes and streets would be named after historic figures and places, while all three developments propose memorials to Deep Deuce literary legend Ralph Ellison.

Those involved with Hill at Bricktown LLC include Oklahoma City historic preservationist Marva Ellard; William Canfield, founder of Novazyme Pharmaceuticals, and oilman and contractor Steve Clark.

Ellard said Canfield became interested in the development after trying to recruit scientists to work in the nearby health research park.

"The lack of downtown housing for sale became a drawback in getting people to move here," Ellard said. "A lot of professionals were accustomed to living in an urban environment."

Ellard said homes would sell between $175,000 and $340,000.

JoeVan Bullard, urban renewal director, said representatives from surrounding areas will be asked to review the proposals, with presentations to be made to the agency's commissioners in January.

"With the proposals that came in, I think we definitely do have a market for homes for sale," he said.

Bullard said commissioners want to see construction started by late 2005.

"One of the discussion points with the commissioners as they visit with the three teams will be, 'Are you ready to go?'" Bullard said. "We believe the market is there, and the sooner we can hit that, the better."
----------
The proposals

(1) Alta Bricktown
Developer: Wood Partners.
Designer: Architectural Design Group.
Cost: $22.1 million.
Proposal: 300 loft apartments leasing between $735 and $1,035 a month.

(2)The Hill
Developer: Walnut Hill Redevelopment Partners.
Designer: TAParchitecture.
Cost: $36.7 million.
Proposal: 84 loft rental apartments, 134 Brownstone residences for sale.

(3)The Hill at Bricktown
Developers: The Hill at Bricktown LLC.
Designer: Humphreys & Partners Architects.
Cost: $34.4 million.
Proposal: 141 upscale homes for sale. "

Patrick
02-24-2005, 10:53 PM
I also want to comment on metro's post.

First off, wow! Who would've ever thought 10 years ago that today we would be arguing over which "residential" development would be best for the downtown area? This is absolutely amazing.

I think it's obvious that McDermid's proposal should be chosen. It's the most agressive of the proposals, and it meets all of the requirements set by OCURA. It also ties in nicely with the Town Center concept. If this proposal is chosen, the Town Ceter concept moves forward. If another proposal is chosen, it sets that Town Center concept back.

Why should McDermid's proposal be chosen? Easy! It will include a mix of rental and purchase real estate. It would also include retail and blend in with the Town Center concept.

Fred Jones Hall's comments scare me somewhat. I agree that the Wood Partners Alta Bricktown concept might not be the best fit, simply because it only includes rental apartments. But, I disagree with his assessment of the Walnut Hill Partners proposal. He questioned whether they'd complete the entire townhouse concept. I suppose this is the VERY INFLUENTIAL board member that metro was referring to. Don't be surprised if he persuades the board to choose The Hill at Bricktown. He had his way when his business partner Rnady Hogan was selected for developing Bricktown. Only he had it a little easier there......Hogan seemed to have the best financial backing. Here, the selection will be a little tougher, because The Hill at Bricktown doesn't seem to have the best financial backing...in fact, the financial backing is in question.

Urban Renewal officials, if you're reading, don't side with Fred Jones Hall this time! Go with McDermid!

Seems like right now they're leaning towards The Hill at Bricktown, which I feel would be a drastic mistake, probably the worst of the 3 proposals. The Hill at Bricktown is nothing more than a suburban style gated community. There's nothing urban about it...at all! Heck, choosing 3 story apartments by Wood Partners would be more urban than a subruban style gated community.

If The Hill at Bricktown is chosen, I will surely question if Good ole Boy politics is involved. They're the only ones seeking public investment. Why should we choose them? Especially when their project isn't urban by any means!

Aren't we wanting more retail downtown??? Aren't we wanting more of an open, market, public type setting near the Town Center??? The Hill at Bricktown development will completely destroy that.

By all means...everyone, get on the phone...call the Oklahoma City Urban Rewnal
Authority. Express your opinions. We need the right development in place here!

The obvious choice is Ellison Park at the Hill. No question about it.

HOT ROD
02-24-2005, 11:53 PM
who do I call, whats the #, email addresses.

We need to do this right, and not the same old hokey okie pokie (two steps forward, three steps back) crap.

Ellison all the WAY!!!!! The other two proposals arent even in the same league and should not have even been considered!

Patrick
02-24-2005, 11:59 PM
who do I call, whats the #, email addresses.

We need to do this right, and not the same old hokey okie pokie (two steps forward, three steps back) crap.

Ellison all the WAY!!!!! The other two proposals arent even in the same league and should not have even been considered!

Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority
204 N Robinson Ave Ste 2400
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

(405) 235-3771

Sooner&RiceGrad
02-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Looks like the Oklahoman finally reported something, lol.

The proposals

(1) Alta Bricktown
Developer: Wood Partners.
Designer: Architectural Design Group.
Cost: $22.1 million.
Proposal: 300 loft apartments leasing between $735 and $1,035 a month.

(2)The Hill
Developer: Walnut Hill Redevelopment Partners.
Designer: TAParchitecture.
Cost: $36.7 million.
Proposal: 84 loft rental apartments, 134 Brownstone residences for sale.

(3)The Hill at Bricktown
Developers: The Hill at Bricktown LLC.
Designer: Humphreys & Partners Architects.
Cost: $34.4 million.
Proposal: 141 upscale homes for sale. "

Which one is the Triangle?

Patrick
02-25-2005, 02:56 PM
The Hill and The Triangle are actually two different projects.

These 3 proposals are for The Hill. Urban Renewal is wanting a residential/retail complex located between Deep Deuce and I-235, in the area known as the Hill. One of these plans will be chosen.

The Triangle is land owned by McDermid and a few others. It will be the Town Center concept that we've discussed so frequently here. They'll develop the area into residential and retail uses, with open park areas in between.

So, two separate projects going on here, in two separate areas.

I know, it's kind of confusing...2 projects going on in very close areas. What makes it even more confusing is that McDermid, involved in the Triangle/Town Center, is one of the developers putting forth a proposal for The Hill. His proposal is #2. So, if he's chosen for The Hill, he may very well be developing both The Hill and The Triangle.

Sooner&RiceGrad
02-25-2005, 11:35 PM
He is also involved in the Factory... I believe. Right?

Patrick
02-26-2005, 03:39 PM
He is also involved in the Factory... I believe. Right?

Well, McDermid was the architect for the Factory. But, he isn't the owner of that property. Rich McLain is the property owner...he's the one that couldn't secure financing for the project. Property owners often get architects to draw up pictures. But that doesn't always mean those pictures are turned into reality.

metro
02-28-2005, 11:13 PM
If you read my original post again, it will clarify most of your questions.
#1 No, McDermid is not involved with the Factory that is Bob Minders project
#2 The Hill is just one small piece, the first piece of a much larger, triangle district downtown.

Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority
204 N Robinson Ave Ste 2400
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

(405) 235-3771

Lets just say, Fred Jones Hall is not on my most popular list. The good ole boy network must be stopped despite personal interests. I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE everyone on this forum to call OCURA and complain about Mr. Hall's comments and your concerns regarding this project so the wrong project is not selected and set downtown development in the wrong direction.

downtownguy
03-01-2005, 07:56 AM
One correction, Metro: The Factory is the McLain family. Meinders has the Steel Yard, which consists of the old Stewart Steel buildings along East Sheridan. By the way, great detail from the urban renewal presentation.

metro
03-01-2005, 11:33 AM
downtown guy, you are correct, for some reason I typed the wrong name in my reply. thanks for catching that. like i said before, EVERYONE CALL OCURA

Patrick
03-01-2005, 12:14 PM
metro, who did you speak with at OCURA? I'm curious who I should ask for.