View Full Version : could someone please confirm...

BigD Misey
04-22-2010, 11:31 PM
it is 12:09 and the Daily OK still hasn't made the Thunder Win the lead story!
I understand that Bradford went # 1, which is a rarity for any program and that IS a big deal, but equally important on this most important/impactful night for OKC in sports history was that the thunder won an NBA Playoff game! As of 12:05 the thunder win is the 4th story on the main page behind the draft, the arts fest, and...BEN STILLER! Come on!
Please confirm that its just me!!!

Dustin
04-22-2010, 11:45 PM
wait an hour or two.. it'll be there..

ronronnie1
04-22-2010, 11:51 PM
I just went on over to some lame "Sonix/Seattle" forum. Those people are absolutely deranged. Reminds me of a jilted lover 10 years on and still not over it.

Is it wrong to take pleasure in others' bitterness? Loves it.

BigD Misey
04-23-2010, 12:16 AM
1:10 am and story is still behind Ben stiller and the arts fest...that site is so disappointing! I've mentione this to them a couple of times that they lag when it comes to thunder coverage, while college news gets thrown up front much more often. Scrolling down to the end of the page to get the scoop! Almost thought they didnt have it all together. WOW!
Ben Stiller....WOW! So disappointing!

HOT ROD
04-23-2010, 02:49 AM
here in China, the Oklahoma City Thunder win was the top Sports story (on CCTV, the country's main national network). Kevin Durant gets GREAT coverage here, as does Kobe and LeBron (of course).

I checked, and LA Times, ESPN, and SI also had it pretty quickly after the game ended.

Im so glad I get to watch the games while I am here. This may not have happened if OKC were higher up in the seeding, but then again - they might have still showed one game.

But since it's LA vs OKC, they are showing every game (actually, Wednesday we didn't get the game because the country mourned the earthquake victims the entire day - but the LA/OKC game had been scheduled, just not shown due to the national mouning). CCTV-5 (the national sports channel) will show all remaining games of the OKC/LA matchup, also most of the CLE/CHI matchups - which is very nice and very good exposure for OKC.......

Larry OKC
04-23-2010, 03:55 AM
by 5 am, the DOK had bumped the Thunder win above Bradford and Stiller...happy now? LOL (congrats to the Thunder and Sam)

chuckdiesel
04-23-2010, 04:52 AM
I just went on over to some lame "Sonix/Seattle" forum. Those people are absolutely deranged. Reminds me of a jilted lover 10 years on and still not over it.

Just wait a couple years until this team plays for/wins a championship. They will meltdown in an unprecedented manner.

Kerry
04-23-2010, 05:49 AM
here in China, the Oklahoma City Thunder win was the top Sports story (on CCTV, the country's main national network). Kevin Durant gets GREAT coverage here, as does Kobe and LeBron (of course).

I checked, and LA Times, ESPN, and SI also had it pretty quickly after the game ended.

Im so glad I get to watch the games while I am here. This may not have happened if OKC were higher up in the seeding, but then again - they might have still showed one game.

But since it's LA vs OKC, they are showing every game (actually, Wednesday we didn't get the game because the country mourned the earthquake victims the entire day - but the LA/OKC game had been scheduled, just not shown due to the national mouning). CCTV-5 (the national sports channel) will show all remaining games of the OKC/LA matchup, also most of the CLE/CHI matchups - which is very nice and very good exposure for OKC.......

HotRod I have two words for you. Sling Box. You can watch your home tv from anywhere in the world, even on your cell phone. Couple it with a DVR at home and you will never miss anything ever again.

Slingbox.com - Watch Your TV Anywhere with a Slingbox (http://www.slingbox.com)

BG918
04-23-2010, 07:49 AM

I had a Chinese professor at OU who went home and when he told people he lived in Oklahoma they immediately asked about the "Thunder team". NBA has really become popular in China and since Durant is one of the superstars they know about us. I'd almost say the NBA gets more national exposure in China than it does here where playoff games aren't even shown on the major networks. Case in point is how the NFL Draft, locally and nationally, was a bigger story.

HOT ROD
04-24-2010, 06:27 AM
yes BG, the NBA is HUGE here - especially LeBron, Kobe, and (particularly the past year) Durant. Almost every game shown will be one of those teams (add in a little bit of Boston and Miami and Houston, of course). But yes, when people ask where I'm from - if I say Seattle; they ask about Kevin Durant. If I say, originally from Oklahoma City, they compliment the Thunder and ask about Kevin Durant.

It's almost as if they don't realize the actual city the team plays in or that Seattle is far away from Oklahoma City. They sort of think OKC is close to Seattle, so they don't really see a difference.

As more people here become more educated they will begin to understand things on a more global scale; (trust me, most people don't know much about America or the rest of the world other than what they see on movies, commercials, and the news that gets shown here - very stereotypical; but then to, American media/news has always been stereotypical against Chinese too when there's really not much difference between a China resident or an American other than education....) but that's a different thread/topic.

But yes, the NBA is very big here - almost bigger than in the US. There is the CBA (China Basketball League), but it really doesn't compare to the NBA - but I do notice a number of foreigners play on the more successful teams (especially those with black players - usually always win.. lol).

I never understood why some Seattle fans would always try to claim that the NBA needed Seattle in order to have a link to China. NBA is already here - and Houston was the link, not Seattle. Today, most if not all 'modern' Chinese (those with a tv set) know all of the big players and more or less their teams/cities they play in. As I mentioned, most people here dont realize OKC is different from Seattle, but they do know Oklahoma City Thunder (thunda, they pronounce) and they definitely know about and admire Kevin Durant (du'ranta). ...

And yes, the Thunder victory has been front page sports news here (tv wise) for the past day and half; topping the Chicago or Suns or now Spurs victories. The NFL gets almost NO exposure here; it goes NBA, CBA (China), futbol (soccer), MLB, NHL, various other int'l sports - most particularly if China is involved, then NFL. Very interesting from that prospective, considering in the US it is quite different.

jbrown84
04-24-2010, 05:53 PM
I noticed it buried under the Stiller story as well. So bizarre. At least they have the special logo at the top a la Google.

rcjunkie
04-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Am I a Thunder Fan---YES
Do I have Season Tickets---YES
Is the Thunder the only news worthy subject in Town--NO

The Thunder get and will continue to get the coverage they deserve, surely you don't expect the press to stop everything and report only on the Thunder.

ljbab728
04-24-2010, 11:30 PM
It's almost as if they don't realize the actual city the team plays in or that Seattle is far away from Oklahoma City. They sort of think OKC is close to Seattle, so they don't really see a difference.

I'm sure that's true but try asking people in OKC where Beijing is in relation to Shanghai or Guangzhou and see what kind of response you get. For most it would be an empty stare.

HOT ROD
04-25-2010, 04:07 AM
that's very true too.

China has so many cities, it's unfreaking believable. Mid sized cities here have 4 million people, and almost every province has way more people than California. "rural" areas still have hundred's of thousands of people (the recent earthquake was in rural far western China, in Qinghai province in a rural area where several hundred thousand people live. ...).

the city I am in right now (Chengdu, Sichuan) is considered a 3rd tier city but it's metro area is bigger than Chicago's. Chongqing (300 km away) is arguably the biggest city in the world, it has over 33 million people in it's municipality (that's all of Canada in an area the size of Delaware) and a skyline that looks like New York; but the city is inland so it isn't YET as popular worldwide as Shanghai.

I bet most American's dont even know there's a Guangzhou (but they might know it better as Canton). ... But times are improving for both countries. ...

BG918
04-25-2010, 01:14 PM
that's very true too.

China has so many cities, it's unfreaking believable. Mid sized cities here have 4 million people, and almost every province has way more people than California. "rural" areas still have hundred's of thousands of people (the recent earthquake was in rural far western China, in Qinghai province in a rural area where several hundred thousand people live. ...).

the city I am in right now (Chengdu, Sichuan) is considered a 3rd tier city but it's metro area is bigger than Chicago's. Chongqing (300 km away) is arguably the biggest city in the world, it has over 33 million people in it's municipality (that's all of Canada in an area the size of Delaware) and a skyline that looks like New York; but the city is inland so it isn't YET as popular worldwide as Shanghai.

I bet most American's dont even know there's a Guangzhou (but they might know it better as Canton). ... But times are improving for both countries. ...

Times are changing. In the next 10-20 years China and the US will be much more linked than they are now. People in the US will know more about China and vice-versa. Already many high schools and especially private schools offer Chinese language classes. And you are right about basketball being extremely popular in China. For whatever reason they can't get enough of it. If it wasn't so far I wouldn't be surprised to see NBA teams in Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong and other large Chinese cities.

Andrew4OU
04-25-2010, 03:29 PM

Do you have a link to their forum?

ronronnie1
04-25-2010, 06:12 PM

Supersonicsoul: The unofficial blog of the SEATTLE Supersonics. (http://www.supersonicsoul.com)

the unoffical blog of the SEATTLE(?!?LOL) Supersonics

They really need to move on at this point.

jbrown84
04-25-2010, 06:57 PM
The Thunder get and will continue to get the coverage they deserve, surely you don't expect the press to stop everything and report only on the Thunder.

Again. Ben. Stiller.

kevinpate
04-25-2010, 07:17 PM

Been posted by ronronnie now. fwiw, there's way more interesting info in Hotrod's info about China.

HOT ROD
04-26-2010, 01:53 AM
Yep BG (and Kevin), as I said - China already has a pro-basketball heague; the CBA.

They just finished their playoffs and Guangdong Dragons won it last night.

And yes, the world is really becoming more global and I think the US is leading the way in that the education system and freedoms allow Americans the ability to interpret and discover whereas in China there are still lots of stereotypes, Positive... yes, but still nonetheless, Stereotypes about America.

One stereotype, I am here in China (3rd trip and been in China well over 8 months total) and it is interesting that once someone here discovers where Im from - they automatically assume every American is like they see on TV or movies. This is mainly because China is a homogeneous society (in that there are no significant Westerners living in China) AND most Chinese dont have access or intelligence to Challenge government sponsored propoganda/censorship. It is difficult for most to understand individual freedom, since Chinse ideals are based on society as a whole - first.

Ill give a good example, one day my fiance and I were at a restaurant and they (and many others) played some pretty nice house music. What was interesting was 1) people in the restaurant all gazed at me, to see what was my reaction to such a Westernized vibe and 2) there was comments that the music was American.

As many might know, house music is actually more prevelant in Europe and the particular artists they were playing in the restaurant were actually from Germany, Netherlands, and UK. I informed some people about this and they were surprised, in they thought it was American and that every American listens to this type of music or culture.

if only they knew, that rock and country music is actually America's largest genres, followed by r&b then electronic music. Although Chicago and Detroit 'invented' house music and the derivatives from it (techno, trance, hi nrg, etc), it really has taken off moreso in Europe and become a 'music staple' and is still more or less underground in America, mostly in dance clubs than on the commercial radio. ....

I dont want to turn this into a political debate, but I did want to make a further point that discovery of the True America is taking place moreso but Chinese do have a rather slanted view of America that we are the same as Europeans. In fact, they don't see the difference. What they are hearing or seeing mostly, is actually from Europe but they attribute anything progressive to being American.

anyways - times are changing, just to be able to listen to or see American/western things here in China just would not be the case years ago, and vice versa. but I do have to say the 'Chinese' things in America actually are either Chinese-American (hence, American) OR they are only a small set of 'China' brought from Guangdong (Canton) [see 'chinese food', aka AMERICAN Chinese food vs. REAL Chinese food, from China - big difference] but China isn't as homogeneous as America, in actuality.

America has homogeneoity (sp) in media, ideals, and politics whereas China has homogeneoity in social issues (mostly), education, and influence. Sometimes, it seems as if people over here are robots (haha) because everybody is the same socially. There's little deviance, and if there is - those people are labeled as bad or undesirable.

anyways, I have hope that going forward - both countries can make improvements (yes, both countries have problems) and that will be better for everyone. It is interesting to say the least, and I hope that I and other Americans can be ambassadors over here to what America really is.

HOT ROD
04-26-2010, 01:56 AM
sorry to go away from the original thought, I just wanted to give a bit more on the true Chinese culture (it's far different than the Americanized view in most aspects). ...

but yes, NBA is very big over here. There will not be any NBA teams here but they do have their own top league and I wouldn't be surprised to see the CBA turn into an "NBA Europe" of Asia and more NBA games being shown on Chinese tv. Im not sure most Americans would be as interested in the CBA though. ...