View Full Version : ATTN: OKC residents and Thunder fans your needed DT tonight!!

Northsider
04-22-2010, 10:54 AM
first off i don't believe this belongs in the sports section , off the sure factor of the tax dollars that will be pumped into DT tonight by my friends,co-workers and family alone.

every since I started reading this board (way long before I became a memeber) I used this board to keep me informed of what's going on in OKC

Ya'll first informed me about the Seattle Supersonics being purchased, the move the first season ..everything

to be honest with all the things that where happening in OKC I had to move back to Oklahoma City.

Now for a second season I am happy that tonight is the night
the first playoff game in Oklahoma City are u friggin kidding me am I dreaming if so don't awake me.

We talk so much about DT, Core to shore , Devon tower, 180, riverfront developments, new hotel proposals....all of that takes backseat to the Oklahoma City Thunder at least for tonight.

tonight is our boys night and tonight they and DT needs your support and presence somewhere downtown i don't even care if your walking the streets as a matter of fact we need that presence also.

The world will be watching OKLAHOMA CITY and for the first time in a long time its something positive and to be honest World class (my favorite OKCTALK term).
this is our introduction to the world as a elite sports city
I just got back from Las Vegas and everytime I told someone that I was from OKC they didnt give me the usaual "where's that" or "yeah the bombing place."

they said yeah yall got KD he is a animal i bet you guys are fired up down there. were changing folks
one guy even went as far as to say he is an olympic rower and he whats to see how DT OKC will look on an elite world stage tonight
the NBA commissioner loves us he will be watching his latest team.

where will you be ?

what are your preperations ?

how do you feel the overall preception of OKC will be after this ?

are you a thunder Fanatic ?

on that note this thread is open for discussion.........

metro
04-22-2010, 10:58 AM
I'll be glad to go support "our boys" if someone would sell me some tickets for a reasonable price and not scalp them for 5-10 times face value. On a side note, as a downtowner I'll be down supporting street life as always no matter what.

okclee
04-22-2010, 11:07 AM
And to add to the festivities, ....Banjos!!

Admission is free today and tomorrow at the American Banjo Museum as it prepares to celebrate its annual hall of fame ceremonies tonight. Bricktown will be in on the festivities from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday with free performances at Nonna’s, the Bourbon Street Cafe, Bricktown Brewery, and an open jam session at the Spaghetti Warehouse.Ready for Some Free Banjo Performances? | OKC Central (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2010/04/22/ready-for-some-free-banjo-performances/)

Midtowner
04-22-2010, 11:19 AM
I love banjo music... good stuff.

stephy
04-22-2010, 11:31 AM
And to add to the festivities, ....Banjos!!

Ready for Some Free Banjo Performances? | OKC Central (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2010/04/22/ready-for-some-free-banjo-performances/)

Um, doesn't that just make us look even more like a hick town?

Is there going to be a hootenanny later? Or maybe a tractor pull out in front of the Ford Center?

Northsider
04-22-2010, 11:38 AM
lol... stephy but on the flip side we cant be proud of our future and not our past

I just hope TNT,ESPN, or MSNBC doesnt find some drunk bumkin and ask him a question like "what does this mean for your city."

okclee
04-22-2010, 11:41 AM
TNT is staying at the Skirvin and they did a 3 min. video segment about the hotel being haunted.

Top 5 of Inside the NBA - No. 1 - NBA Videos and Highlights (http://www.nba.com/video/channels/tnt_overtime/2010/04/21/20100421_inside_1.nba/index.html)

okcpulse
04-22-2010, 11:42 AM

Is there going to be a hootenanny later? Or maybe a tractor pull out in front of the Ford Center?

Actually, it is a historical mistake to associate banjos with anything "hickish", as the instruments are traced back to European culture.

And as mentioned before, is actor Steve Martin a hick? He is a huge banjo fanatic and plays them often. Not joking either.

stephy
04-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Actually, it is a historical mistake to associate banjos with anything "hickish", as the instruments are traced back to European culture.

And as mentioned before, is actor Steve Martin a hick? He is a huge banjo fanatic and plays them often. Not joking either.

yeah, historical signifigance is wonderful and all, but when most people think of banjo players, they think of the inbred mountain-folk in Deliverance.

I seriously doubt there will be someone on TNT or standing near the banjos proclaiming how non-hickish they are to a bunch of NBA fans.

If you want a group of mis-informed people who think you're a buffoon to take you seriously, you don't don a clown outfit and scream "I am not a clown!" at the top of your lungs.

Northsider
04-22-2010, 11:54 AM
does the sheraton still offer free parking to tickets holders or those driving a lexus ?

okcpulse
04-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I highly doubt anyone on TNT is going to cover banjo performances anyway. I am not a fan of banjos either (to me they are as exciting as a recorder), but if the first image that comes to mind are inbred mountain folk in Deliverance, then we get most of our education from Hollywood, not the library.

America is so misinformed it's daunting.

Anyhow, I wouldn't worry. TNT is covering the game, not Bricktown.

stephy
04-22-2010, 11:55 AM
They covered the Skirvin.

Northsider
04-22-2010, 12:00 PM
TNT is covering the game but ESPN,CNN and MSNBC are down here already prepping for the game and you know those reporters like to build up a "what's it like Living in (enter the city's name here) story."

HOT ROD
04-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Get out there people!

A very big day for Oklahoma City!!!

Northsider
04-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Get out there people!

A very big day for Oklahoma City!!!

yeah I feel like its a few hours before the prom or new years or something...thats the only way I can express what i'm feeling right now.

Midtowner
04-22-2010, 12:22 PM
yeah, historical signifigance is wonderful and all, but when most people think of banjo players, they think of the inbred mountain-folk in Deliverance.

I seriously doubt there will be someone on TNT or standing near the banjos proclaiming how non-hickish they are to a bunch of NBA fans.

If you want a group of mis-informed people who think you're a buffoon to take you seriously, you don't don a clown outfit and scream "I am not a clown!" at the top of your lungs.

Nah, it's actually more trendy to take in something like bluegrass music. As a musician, I really can appreciate the fact that bluegrass players are typically very skilled musicians. I like the sound, etc.

OKCisOK4me
04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
lol... stephy but on the flip side we cant be proud of our future and not our past

I just hope TNT,ESPN, or MSNBC doesnt find some drunk bumkin and ask him a question like "what does this mean for your city."

And as long as they don't go in the smoking rooms at the Ford Center, our city shall not be tarnished...:ohno:

okclee
04-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Would like to see the banjo players play along side the Thunder drummers for a pre-game music special.

shane453
04-22-2010, 01:39 PM

Or also one of the indie world's most awesome and talented musicians:
(Sufjan Stevens)
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/119/286527878_442691a470.jpg

Folk music, including banjos, ranks pretty highly on America's "cool" and "trendy" list right now

FritterGirl
04-22-2010, 01:45 PM

While the idea of the banjo museum might seem "hickish" to some who live here - and perhaps to the few snobbbish ESPN/SI/TNT sports journos who manage to find negative things to say no matter what we do, the truth of the matter is, most tourists who visit OKC come here expecting some kind of "hick" experience, if you will. They want the draw of the Old West. We may be strong in our resistence to it (myself included, I must admit), but if it's part of our culture, we need to embrace it for what it is, and use that to our advantage.

There's a reason that the CVB has an ad campaign going right now that highlights both our "City" and our "Country" appeal. It shows both sides of our very unique coin.

As for tonight, I'll be downtown and inside the Ford Center happily cheering our team along.

Pete
04-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Looks like they've laid out free blue t-shirts for everyone in the lower bowl...

And check out the playoffs logo on the floor!

http://static.ow.ly/photos/original/1cXa.jpg

Thundercitizen
04-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Someone needs to let a chicken (with the name "Barkley" painted on it) run rampant outside the Ford Center.

okclee
04-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Tonight is an unbelievable night for our city. To sit back and take in the progress and improvement this city has made in such a short amount of time is remarkable.

The sky is the limit. We just need to keep the momentum going.

No matter the score, our city is the real winner.

Dustin
04-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Driving home from Edmond, seriously, every other car had thunder flags in the back windows!! It was awesome to see!!

Steve
04-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Lot's of Thunder on display downtown

hipsterdoofus
04-22-2010, 02:38 PM
I'll be doing my civic duty - eating at the arts festival then going to the game :tiphat:

okcpulse
04-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Can you guys make me anymore jealous. I'll just be stuck in Houston watching the mildew encroach the concrete some more.

At least I have my wife and kids to keep me sane in H-Town.

Rover
04-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Austin is famously cool for being a country cool city. Plenty of backwoods country music being played. The difference is, they embrace it and publicize it and we in OKC appologize for it. Western Heritage Museum is always the favorite place of my out of country business collegues who come here. Indian Heritage Museum and Center will be another.

Quit confusing the western culture for NO culture or for ignorance. Be proud of our western spirit. Our Thunder shows that "don't ever give up" spirit that populated our state.

SkyWestOKC
04-22-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm planning on being in the game tonight....

EDIT: Not in the game as playing, but y'now - at the game LOL! I'm sure you would like to see my 5'9" basketball skills.

Luke
04-22-2010, 05:20 PM
I really, really, really wish I could be back in OKC for this...

Have a blast everybody and I can't wait to hear the crowd tonight. :)

metro
04-23-2010, 08:15 AM
I really, really, really wish I could be back in OKC for this...

Have a blast everybody and I can't wait to hear the crowd tonight. :)

Luke, where did you move to?

dismayed
04-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Last night was incredible. I have been to a lot of sporting events, including Thunder games, and I've never heard anything so loud in my life. My ears are still ringing a bit and my voice is still scratchy from it all. When we started our run at the very end it got so loud that I couldn't hear the officials blowing their whistles and could just barely make out the muffled voice of the announcer. TV did not do it justice, it was just crazy. When we won and the confetti and streamers shot out from the catwalks people were dancing in the isles and strangers were jumping up and down high-fiving each other. After the game and after getting out of the Ford Center, which for me was sometime around midnight, it was amazing seeing 20,000 people walking around the streets of downtown. It was so awesome.

HOT ROD
04-24-2010, 06:01 AM
wow, I wish/hope someone was able to get some pics of that.

Man, this is great for Oklahoma City and downtown!!! Truly, Welcome to the NBA - Big Time.

Go Thunder!!!

gen70
04-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Last night was incredible. I have been to a lot of sporting events, including Thunder games, and I've never heard anything so loud in my life. My ears are still ringing a bit and my voice is still scratchy from it all. When we started our run at the very end it got so loud that I couldn't hear the officials blowing their whistles and could just barely make out the muffled voice of the announcer. TV did not do it justice, it was just crazy. When we won and the confetti and streamers shot out from the catwalks people were dancing in the isles and strangers were jumping up and down high-fiving each other. After the game and after getting out of the Ford Center, which for me was sometime around midnight, it was amazing seeing 20,000 people walking around the streets of downtown. It was so awesome. Wish I coulda been there. Go Thunder!!

Northsider
04-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Part 2 tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luke
04-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Luke, where did you move to?

I got an amazing job promotion/opportunity in Tampa. Been out here for four months now. We are definitely enjoying the beach and Disney, but it's no OKC.

We're planning a summer trip back... can't wait. :)

mireaux
04-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Now for a second season I am happy that tonight is the night
the first playoff game in Oklahoma City are u friggin kidding me am I dreaming if so don't awake me.

"if i am dreaming let me never awake, if im awake let me never sleep"

-excerpt from "Karate Kid Part II" 1986

ljbab728
04-24-2010, 11:15 PM
"if i am dreaming let me never awake, if im awake let me never sleep"

-excerpt from "Karate Kid Part II" 1986

Watched it on ESPN tonight. The publicity that OKC got from this is priceless. There isn't anything we've ever done that would get the positive national exposure that this has brought us. It was like a 3 hour free commercial for OKC. I hope that all of those who opposed any concessions that we offered for the Thunder were watching and appreciate this.

soonerguru
04-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Austin is famously cool for being a country cool city. Plenty of backwoods country music being played. The difference is, they embrace it and publicize it and we in OKC appologize for it. Western Heritage Museum is always the favorite place of my out of country business collegues who come here. Indian Heritage Museum and Center will be another.

Quit confusing the western culture for NO culture or for ignorance. Be proud of our western spirit. Our Thunder shows that "don't ever give up" spirit that populated our state.

Austin was never where "backwoods country music" was played. It was famous in the 1970s for progressive country music -- very different. Now it's famous for rock, Indie and alternative music in general.

Jethrol
04-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Having lived here all my life, I can't wipe the smile off my face right now.

Game 3 was an outstanding, come-from-behind victory that was simply incredible to watch. It was one of those games that make you just love sports. Two teams with world class athletes at the top of their games competing in the playoffs....and we came away with the victory and it all happened right here in OKC.

I was here when MAPS 1 was proposed and I had friends that said, "We don't need some ditch in downtown. That won't do anything for the city." Well....look who's laughing now.

Now a game 4, dominating victory over last year's champions was OUTSTANDING! You know, at one point we were 29 points ahead of the Lakers.....ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? 29 POINTS?!?! In the playoffs.....WOW.

KD called it last summer and said we have a chance to make the playoffs next year and here we are. It's so awesome to be a part of this great city and the theme of "RISE TOGETHER" is really taking on a life of it's own. I mean it's really incredible to watch and we're seriously a threat to take the entire series....maybe even a championship.

Unbelievable and those of you that moved away, perhaps you should come back and take a look around. You might really be surprised. From Downtown to Midtown...there's cool stuff happening everywhere.

betts
04-25-2010, 01:19 AM
To confirm what is being said about OKC, here's a tweet from someone at Sports Illustrated regarding tonight:

ChrisMannixSI

NBA hit a home run with OKC. Due respect to Seattle (which deserves one, too) but this is an NBA market.

Dustin
04-25-2010, 02:45 AM
To confirm what is being said about OKC, here's a tweet from someone at Sports Illustrated regarding tonight:

ChrisMannixSI

NBA hit a home run with OKC. Due respect to Seattle (which deserves one, too) but this is an NBA market.

After reading that last line.... chills!!!

Northsider
04-25-2010, 03:07 AM
I just left ROK bar and serge,eric,james and K.D was there. I didnt want to get starstruck, but k.d was right by me and i ask for him to sign my Thunder jersey he said he didnt have a pen I went to the bar and they gave me a magic marker.

I saw him agian after I took a pic wit Ibaka . he was on the couch with Eric maynor. I couldn't reach him so eric handed him the jersey and i said "K.D i'm the guy that didn't have a pen." and he said "I remember" and signed it just like that.

Guys I was already sold on him being the textbook example of not just the NBA but OKC (humble but can put its money where its heart is- not mouth)
Kevin Durant is the truth.

Jeff Green took a pic with me at mickey mantle's in front of where Russell Westbrook jag was parked, bricktown-downtown has never been this exciting and I go out down here a lot.

HOT ROD
04-25-2010, 04:27 AM
good to hear.

Was Rok bar (and other bricktown hops) jam packed?

keep the stories comin'

Jethrol
04-25-2010, 07:44 AM
I just left ROK bar and serge,eric,james and K.D was there. I didnt want to get starstruck, but k.d was right by me and i ask for him to sign my Thunder jersey he said he didnt have a pen I went to the bar and they gave me a magic marker.

I saw him agian after I took a pic wit Ibaka . he was on the couch with Eric maynor. I couldn't reach him so eric handed him the jersey and i said "K.D i'm the guy that didn't have a pen." and he said "I remember" and signed it just like that.

Guys I was already sold on him being the textbook example of not just the NBA but OKC (humble but can put its money where its heart is- not mouth)
Kevin Durant is the truth.

Jeff Green took a pic with me at mickey mantle's in front of where Russell Westbrook jag was parked, bricktown-downtown has never been this exciting and I go out down here a lot.
This reminded me of when the Blazers came back to town in the 90s. Now not to disparage the Blazers so please don't take this as negative.....When the Blazers showed up, we were so hungry for pro sports that everyone was really excited and rallied behind the team. After games they would go to bars in Bricktown and party and they were treated like rock stars but they were actually more like AA baseball players.

Now we have the real thing - a bonafide big league All Star player and a playoff, maybe even championship, caliber team and it's right here in OKC. I'm so ecstatic I can't stand it!!

Northsider
04-25-2010, 12:20 PM
good to hear.

Was Rok bar (and other bricktown hops) jam packed?

keep the stories comin'

Hell yes they were packed . any bar,resturant you name.

Hooters had a 45-hr waiting line. Mickey mantles was so packed that jeff green had to wait outside for a min LOL. thats how I got the pic. It looked like aurbrey Mcledon came to the front and let him in (isn't he the CEO with the long gray hair?)

Then on mickey mantle drive everybody was driving by honking yelling OKC !!
What blow my mind is right in front of the canal by mantles the grass area below where people hang out at on opening night, was filled with cars. I didn't even know you could park there WOW!!

I even saw my mom out there with my sister and my mom is 65. I saw her by chelinos walking around at like 11:00 pm. Thats when you know it was jumping. She's normally on her 3 dream by that time.

Greatest OKC night EVER......(until we when the championship)