View Full Version : Visiting OKC in a few weeks, where to Eat?

Markmerg
02-23-2005, 12:52 PM
I lived in OKC from 1989 till 1996. My wife and I are taking 3 or 4 days to spend some time in the city. We gonna visit the Memorial, Bricktown and the Zoo.

I would like some thoughts on other new things to do? I haven't been back since 2000, and my wife has never been to OKC, so I'm not sure what is new or still open.

Restaurants? Ted's, I'm sure its still open. There was a restaurant that was north east of Edmond, out in the country. It was a big white house if I remember right, I just cant remebert he name of it.

Also my wife loves Italian food, Is Spagetti Warehouse still open and good?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

kealmo
02-23-2005, 01:48 PM
I believe the Edmond restaurant you are taling about is Twelve Oaks...and it is excellent!

I would also recommend Mickey Mantle's Steakhouse in Bricktown.

xrayman
02-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Any number of the fine restaurants in Bricktown. If you haven't been back since 2000, you are in for a surprise!

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
02-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Cafe' Pranzo off on N. May just north of Britton is good Italian. I also like Zio's.

Luke
02-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Nonna's in Bricktown is sure to please. It's kind of expensive though.

Sooner&RiceGrad
02-23-2005, 05:43 PM
OKC has changed a lot since not only 1990's, but a few years ago. Memorial looks like all of Dallas in a 4 mile strecth of road, and 74th Street is beginningto look like Memorial. I am the only here that still refers to 240 by it's old name... Bricktown is a monster now. It, I believe, is bigger than Deep Ellum in Dallas. Yeah... OKC has been competing with Dallas a lot, simply because we CAN compete w/ Dallas now. Meridian Avenue is also conglomerating... lots of new fancy chain restaurants. And of coarse... Noman. Don't forget to visit Campus Corner and the Ed Noble Parkway.

zuluwarrior0760
02-23-2005, 08:34 PM
If she loves italian, I would give Olive Garden a try...
they have great salads and breadsticks....

hehehe

No, I'm not serious.....

I would eat at:

Nonna's Bricktown (incredible food and atmosphere)
Cascata in Edmond (wonderful atmosphere and deserts are wonderful)
Mama Lucia's on N. May Ave (great food and a world renowned trumpet player)
Musashi's Steakhouse on Western Ave.
Zio's is sort of chainlike, but the food is actually quite good.....
Mickey Mantles in Bricktown

metro
02-23-2005, 11:18 PM
I'd hit up 23rd st. and also Western Avenue also. These areas offer classic urban, eclectic dining. I would also visit the Museum Cafe in downtown Arts district as well as Nonnas despite my bad experience opening weekend.

Markmerg
02-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!

I lived on South Western down around Westmoore High. I can wait to get back. I loved OKC. Sounds like I'm going to really enjoy myself. Bricktown was just getting off it feet when moved back to Arkansas.

I ran the Hardee's (Carl's JR.) that was at the corner of 89th & South Western for a couple of years. South OKC was very good to me.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
02-24-2005, 11:28 AM
...I ran the Hardee's (Carl's JR.) that was at the corner of 89th & South Western for a couple of years. South OKC was very good to me.
That's still there too. :D

Markmerg
02-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Don't think I'll be visting there!

cddws2000
02-24-2005, 04:08 PM

I lived on South Western down around Westmoore High. I can wait to get back. I loved OKC. Sounds like I'm going to really enjoy myself. Bricktown was just getting off it feet when moved back to Arkansas.

I ran the Hardee's (Carl's JR.) that was at the corner of 89th & South Western for a couple of years. South OKC was very good to me.

I live in SW OKC, Westmoore school district. I know you mentioned Ted's, and they have recently opened a Ted's on Western just North of 89th St. It's always packed, but well worth the wait.

Patrick
02-25-2005, 12:49 AM
Definitely make a trip to Ted's. It's always worth it. By the was, Ted's has 3 locations now...the original, one on the south side, and one in Edmond.

Other unique restaurants.....Sleep Hollow off NE 50th and Kelly, Jamil's Steakhouse off NE 50th and Lincoln, Keller in the Castle (820 N. MacArthur)- great German food, Haunted House (7101 Miramar- hard to find but worth it- call them...very upscale).

Who can forget Cattlemen's Steakhouse in Stockyard's City, always a treat!

Laredo's off Western and 63rd has pretty good Mexican.

Any restaurant on Western Avenue, in the Western Avenue District is good (between NW 36th and Wilshire) off Western Avenue. Deep Fork Grill off I-44 and Western is very upscale and tasty. VZD's is always a treat! Flip's is a pretty nice Italian Restaurant and bar. Terra Luna is pretty interesting.

For more info. on Western Avenue District, check out: http://www.visitwesternavenue.com/
All of their restaurants are on there. You should definitely make a stop there.

In Bricktown I'd probably recommend Zios over Spaghetti Warehouse, although both are good. Service is just better at Zios. Abuelos and Chelinos are okay. Might try Earls on the canal if you like BBQ. It's near the Harkins 16 movie theater downtown. Coach's is great for typical American food. Bourbon Street Cafe is excellent...even if you don't like cajun food, they have a great variety of menu offerings. It's pretty upscale. Definitely try the new Nona's on the corner of Mickey Mantle and Sheridan. The Mantel acros the street and Mickey Mantle Steak House are all good. The latter is pricey, but very nice! Crabtown has superb seafood, if you like that! I really wouldn't advise against any restaurant in Bricktown...they're all good.

Even the Aria Grill at the Sheraton downtown is nice, as is the Water Falling Grille at the Renaissance Hotel.

rxis
02-25-2005, 01:17 AM
how do people normally dress at the Haunted House and Mickey Mantels?

Patrick
02-25-2005, 01:22 AM
A shirt and tie at the very minimum. I'd probably wear a blazer and slacks,or maybe even a suit.

Midtowner
02-25-2005, 07:50 AM
A shirt and tie at the very minimum. I'd probably wear a blazer and slacks,or maybe even a suit.

A suit?

It's a bit more laid back than that. A shirt/sportscoat would be fine.

Patrick
02-25-2005, 10:30 AM
A suit?

It's a bit more laid back than that. A shirt/sportscoat would be fine.

Which one are you referring to Midtowner? I was referring more to the Haunted House. I think it's a little dressier than Mickey Mantle Steak House. I suppose a dress shirt and sportcoat would be fine for Mickey Mantle Steak House.

Sooner&RiceGrad
02-25-2005, 02:47 PM

I lived on South Western down around Westmoore High.

Go Moore Lions!!! :tweeted: The Jaguars stink...

Oh, and I would avoid that OKCMA cafe... not worth the cost of food there.

zuluwarrior0760
02-25-2005, 07:37 PM
I've eaten at Haunted House several times and found very casual attired patrons.....
It's hard to find what I would call even a semi formal eatery in OKC.....
Coach House, maybe.........I'm not saying these places see shorts, tee shirts, and
flip flops, but coat and tie is a rare requirement....

Sooner&RiceGrad
02-25-2005, 11:34 PM
Hmmn... The Bourbon Street Cafe is the best Bricktown Steak House.

Patrick
02-26-2005, 01:37 PM
I suppose you guys are right. When I was planning prom several years ago, finding a nice place to wear a tux was difficult. Seems like we don't have a lot of formal restaurants in OKC. Nikz is probably the only restaurant that comes close. And Mickey Mantle Steakhouse and Haunted House don't really come close in regards to formality. From my most recent visit to both Mickey Mantle and Haunted House, it seemed like there was a mix of dress from formal to semi formal. Obviously casual wasn't typically part of the equation. For example, I saw no one at Haunted House wearing jeans! But, I suppose there were a few wearing dockers and a dress shirt. Typical church clothes, I guess.

floater
02-26-2005, 03:03 PM
I still think stick to my fave Mickey Mantle as the best steakhouse overall in B'town. But I agree it seems more of a business establishment for expense accounts, and not so much a special occasion place. Niks, Coach House generally fit the bill, although personally would include The Mantel and The Metro Wine Bar and Bistro. I would like OKC to have that one special place where dress code is strict, but all around the country, places are becoming less formal. Perhaps a members-only supper club is what we need to get back that place where formality is still golden.

izzy
02-28-2005, 11:55 PM
Deep Fork Grill by far the best food and atmosphere of any fine dining in Oklahoma City. Be prepared to spend some money although this is one place that you leave with your wallet lighter, but actually feel like what you paid for was really worth it!!!

Patrick
03-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Hey izzy, first off welcome to the site! We're so glad to have you here.

I agree with you 100%. Deep Fork Grill is a fine restaraunt. I'd put it on my top 10 list for OKC. The food is superb, fresh, and very well prepared. It's definitely a great place for a romantic date! Very upscale. As you mention, it is expensive, but I also think it's well worth the cost for what you'e getting...great food, and a very upscale atmosphere. Couldn't ask for more.

I think it fits well in the Western Avenue District!

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-03-2005, 10:02 PM
I would consider the area around 36th & Western and the area S. of Nichols Hills completely differant- but whatever.

Patrick
03-05-2005, 01:37 AM
36th and Western and 38th and Western are drastically different. Sure, they're only 2 blocks apart, but north of 36th takes you into the Crown Heights area. Seems like that area of Western is starting to come around. John Paul Merritt will be opening an upscale restaurant called the Magnolia soon, where Shoe Gypsy used to be.

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-06-2005, 06:00 PM
I meant more like 38th and Western, and 63rd and Western...

dkaye2005
03-06-2005, 06:11 PM
You have to go to Newton's Steakhouse in the Western Avenue District, beautiful scenery and great steaks. You should make a reservation first.

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-06-2005, 06:14 PM
By the by, I'll bet Mark is already in OKC. Well, when he gets back home, I hope he tells us how it was.

izzy
03-07-2005, 12:55 AM
I know 12 Oaks is not in Oklahoma City, but their food and atmosphere is another dining experience I savor.