View Full Version : Thunder’s success helps alter perception of OKC

urbanity
04-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Thunder?s success helps alter perception of OKC | OKG Scene.com (http://www.okgazette.com/p/12834/a/6068/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=LwBEAGUAZgBhAHUAbAB0AC4AYQB zAHAAeAAslashAHAAPQAxADIANwAzADEA)

mugofbeer
04-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Nice article. I hope the Ford Center is deafening for the next 2.....the Thunder need it (along with a defensive center).

Laramie
04-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Nice article. I hope the Ford Center is deafening for the next 2.....the Thunder need it (along with a defensive center).

...and a good cardiac and stroke unit inside the Ford Center.

earlywinegareth
04-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Good stuff, although I cringe when I hear someone say "Okie City". Worrying about a city's "perception" is overblown. I mean seriously, the people with misconceptions about a city are those who have never or rarely visited. Enlightened people know this and they also know every city has it's good points and bad points. I've read that America has become so homogenized that the cultural differences from one city to another, from one region to another, are growing fewer and fewer. It's good we have a unique western ("cowboy and indian") culture and that's what we should cultivate as our identity.

IMO, of course. ;)

OKCMallen
04-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Good stuff, although I cringe when I hear someone say "Okie City". Worrying about a city's "perception" is overblown. I mean seriously, the people with misconceptions about a city are those who have never or rarely visited. Enlightened people know this and they also know every city has it's good points and bad points. I've read that America has become so homogenized that the cultural differences from one city to another, from one region to another, are growing fewer and fewer. It's good we have a unique western ("cowboy and indian") culture and that's what we should cultivate as our identity.

IMO, of course. ;)

Nothing wrong with Okie City, IMO. It's unique. Own it. We're a big ol' cowtown with a good NBA team.

SkyWestOKC
04-21-2010, 08:07 PM
You would hate the FAA then. The official radio callsign for the TRACON at OKC (The facility that gets departures out of the airport airspace after takeoff and gets arrivals lined up on the runway before telling them to talk to the tower to land) is "Oke City Approach (or Departure). Pronounced "Oak City" or "Okie City".