View Full Version : Edmond Elementary Schools

mmitch1031
04-21-2010, 10:04 AM
We have a daughter that will start kindergarten in the fall. We live in the Will Rogers district but would really like for her to go to Clegern. As you are probably aware Clegern is a choice school and the attendees are selected by "lottery". We didn't get selected in the lottery, and are on the waiting list. My question for you all is to ask if this is a true lottery. Of course it is filmed for integrity, but we had several (at least 4) sets of parents tell us well before the lottery they were going to Clegern (or Russell Daugherty). There were not sibling attachements there or anything of the like, do you all know whether there is an alternate method to gaining admission to these choice schools in Edmond?

jdcf
04-21-2010, 02:42 PM
When our son was younger, we too lived in the Will Rogers area and opted for Clegern. We are fans of smaller schools. We still have ties to Edmond schools, and I believe both Clegern and Russell Dougherty provide outstanding opportunities for most students. Frankly, of the two I might lean more toward Russell Dougherty at this time.

My strong hunch is that the lottery system is quite legitimate. I would think however that there would be a good shot for alternates to be admitted because of many reasons. Some people will move and needs and circumstances change.

I do want to hear the thoughts of others on this subject.

Best wishes. I hope your child is able to attend Clegern.

Be very involved in his or her education. Be very involved in the parent group at the school. Be supportive of the staff but do not be reluctant to ask questions either.

Will
04-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Not as far as I know. Our daughter was just selected in the lottery to go to Russell Dougherty (she's 38th on the waiting list at Clegern, which was our preference). Our neighbor was close friends with whoever does the lottery at Clegern, and they inquired with her about getting their son in a couple of years ago, but they ended up on the waiting list. If anyone could have guaranteed a spot, I would think it would have been them.

You didn't mention where your child was on the waiting list, but our neighbor's son was 22nd on the waiting list a few years ago and he still got in.

calitook
04-21-2010, 04:27 PM
This is from the FAQ section of Clegern's website:

"I live in the Clegern neighborhood, do I still have to go through the lottery?

* Yes. Only those who lived in the original Clegern neighborhood before Clegern became a choice school (in August 1998) have preference and do not have to lottery. Proof must be presented. The original Clegern neighborhood is within the following borders: 2nd St. on the north, 15th St. on the south, Broadway on the west, and Rankin on the east.

So there is a very limited residence area that can auto. go to Clegern.

mmitch1031
04-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the feed back; we are actually #1 on the wait list... so our fingers are crossed.

sacolton
04-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Someone said that Edmond Santa Fe High School has become ghetto. Is this true?

EdmondBrad
04-29-2010, 07:37 AM
what does that mean?

hipsterdoofus
04-29-2010, 09:54 AM

Sounds like something a student from a competing high school would say. All of Edmond's high schools have reputations of some sort and the funny thing is, Santa Fe has had a similar reputation by outsiders I think since about 5 minutes after its doors opened. I know plenty of have graduated from Santa Fe and seemed to enjoy attending there just fine. Not to mention the fact that I live a stone's throw away from the school and have never seen anything that indicates that there are any problems.

Midtowner
04-29-2010, 10:30 AM

I subbed there back in the early 00s. I also subbed at North and Memorial. There's no difference in the kids, 'cept Santa Fe has a better football team.

Debzkidz
05-01-2010, 07:41 AM
When we moved here a few years ago both my kids were in high school. We were told by several people that Santa Fe was the high school to go to if you were interested in athletics, Memorial was the school if you were interested in music, and North was the school most focused on academics. Also, Santa Fe was ghetto (whatever that means), Memorial was the poor school, and North was rich and snobby. As far as I can tell, none of these stereotypes are true. There's plenty of rich and poor, artistic, athletic, and brainiac kids at all three. As for us, we just bought the house we liked best, and didn't worry about which high school they would attend. They ended up at North. We're not rich, and they aren't brainiacs.

hipsterdoofus
05-01-2010, 07:20 PM
When we moved here a few years ago both my kids were in high school. We were told by several people that Santa Fe was the high school to go to if you were interested in athletics, Memorial was the school if you were interested in music, and North was the school most focused on academics. Also, Santa Fe was ghetto (whatever that means), Memorial was the poor school, and North was rich and snobby. As far as I can tell, none of these stereotypes are true. There's plenty of rich and poor, artistic, athletic, and brainiac kids at all three. As for us, we just bought the house we liked best, and didn't worry about which high school they would attend. They ended up at North. We're not rich, and they aren't brainiacs.

Pretty much the story that always goes around....pretty silly - like I said, Santa Fe had that reputation essentially as soon as it was open.

andimthomas
05-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Memorial has a great band program. Santa Fe has a pretty good football team. Both North and Memorial are National Blue Ribbon Schools. So that bit of the stereotype is true. Kind of.

hipsterdoofus
05-03-2010, 06:48 AM
I believe academically, all the Edmond High schools are not too shabby.

jdbells
05-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Don't forget that Edmond North has a great ROTC program. This year alone their seniors have earned over $3 million in scholarships.

KarNut
06-08-2010, 01:10 AM
Some of the elementary schools are really too big. More need to be built. Although funding for education in Oklahoma is in a major crisis right now, Edmond is fairing better than most. They also have passed every bond issued for the schools which is worth noting!

The administrators of the district work very hard to keep the schools moving forward with current trends. Not just the newest gimmick but those based on quality research. They are proactive rather than reactive. The downfall of the district is technology. Putnam City is really the leaders in education technology.

soonerfan_in_okc
06-09-2010, 01:14 AM
the words "ghetto" and "edmond" do not belong in the same sentence.

shadow42
08-11-2010, 06:47 AM
What is the benefit of those choice schools? The curriculum is the same, so why bother taking a child out of their neighborhood school when most of them are very good anyway? Just wondering as I have a 5 & 7 yr old. Thanks.

calitook
08-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Clegern uses the "Core Knowledge" program and is a small school- I believe limited to two classes per grade level. Russell Dougherty is an "A+" school with expanded arts curriculum. There is more info about these programs on the schools' individual websites.

Midtowner
08-11-2010, 11:32 AM
the words "ghetto" and "edmond" do not belong in the same sentence.

Every town has its parts. Edmond is no different.

Edmond Earl
08-15-2010, 04:58 PM
If you think there is any ghetto in Edmond you might want to get out of midtown and branch out a bit.

hipsterdoofus
08-15-2010, 07:10 PM
If you think there is any ghetto in Edmond you might want to get out of midtown and branch out a bit.

its more about semantics - maybe there isn't a ghetto in Edmond - there are some parts of town that are lower income and not as nice.