View Full Version : Big Night for Okla City.

okclee
04-21-2010, 09:59 AM
This could go in the sports section but to me it fits in "Okc Metro Area Talk".

Thursday night Okla. City will host it's first ever NBA playoff game the Okc Thunder vs Los Angeles Lakers.

Also Thursday night the NFL draft takes place. According to most NFL experts quarterback Sam Bradford will be the #1 overall pick and defensive lineman Gerald McCoy will be the #3 overall pick.

Both Bradford and G. McCoy are both from Okla. City and both will be instant multi-millionaires after Thursday night.

Good luck to the Okc Thunder and good luck to Bradford and McCoy.

mugofbeer
04-21-2010, 10:40 AM
I saw something a few weeks ago that said i Bradford and McCoy were to go #1 and #2, it would be the first known time in the NFL draft that 2 players from the same college team AND the same home city went 1 and 2.

Pretty cool for a city that, overall, has sub-par public school football programs (referring specifically to the OKC Public Schools).

stratosphere
04-21-2010, 10:54 AM
OKC really is on the up and up. A city in transformation, our very own NBA team, big name concerts coming to town right and left, Sammy B & Gerald Mc C, and yes hosting the first ever NBA playoff game.

earlywinegareth
04-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Don't forget the #1 NBA draft pick last year was Blake Griffin...ok so he graduated from Oklahoma Christian School in Edmond...but he was born in OKC.

metro
04-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Only Bradford went to PC North, not OKC Public Schools. According to Dallas Morning News, NO Oklahoma players were in their Top 10 list (no surprise) and 2 Texas players, but the NFL Poll showed 5 players from Oklahoma in the list, with NO Texas players.

Oh, and who says Okla. City besides the national media, all us locals say OKC don't we?

CaseyCornett
04-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Since Blake Griffin didn't play a game this season and will be registered as a rookie next season...The NBA's AND NFL Rookie of the Year could both be from OKC after next year. So cool.

okclee
04-21-2010, 12:16 PM
I believe that I heard Gerald McCoy plans to open up a couple of urban youth centers in Okc with his newly acquired Millions.

Both Bradford and McCoy seem like two excellent individuals to represent Okc. The same could be said for the Thunder players too.

stratosphere
04-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Only Bradford went to PC North, not OKC Public Schools. According to Dallas Morning News, NO Oklahoma players were in their Top 10 list (no surprise) and 2 Texas players, but the NFL Poll showed 5 players from Oklahoma in the list, with NO Texas players.

Oh, and who says Okla. City besides the national media, all us locals say OKC don't we?

well if you were from Norman you would just say "the city" :tiphat:

okclee
04-21-2010, 12:19 PM

I normally say Okc, not sure why I didn't this time. Maybe listening to to much national media as of late with the Thunder and national coverage of bombing memorial too.

LIL_WAYNE_2012_PREZIDENT
04-21-2010, 08:10 PM
well if you were from Norman you would just say "the city" :tiphat:

anytime im not in OKC thats what I call it

HOT ROD
04-22-2010, 04:39 AM
- Thunder playoff games (and wins); first EVER
- NFL draft (2 OKC boys, top pick); first EVER
- Kevin Durant, NBA Scoring title; first EVER
- Scotty Brooks, NBA Coach of the Year; first EVER
- S Presti, NBA Exec of the Year (anticipated); first EVER
- Oklahoma City Thunder, NBA most improved team; first EVER
- Oklahoma City Festival of the Arts
- Oklahoma City National Memorial - Anniversary, Marathon
- any other events/awards?

could this be the best (most active) week/month in Oklahoma City's history?

CaseyCornett
04-22-2010, 07:36 AM
"OKC Mayor Bets L.A. Mayor Villaraigosa on NBA Playoff Series" TwitDoc.com - TwitDoc is the EASY way to share your documents on Twitter (http://twitdoc.com/c/wq4nnm)

metro
04-22-2010, 07:41 AM
- Thunder playoff games (and wins); first EVER
- NFL draft (2 OKC boys, top pick); first EVER
- Kevin Durant, NBA Scoring title; first EVER
- Scotty Brooks, NBA Coach of the Year; first EVER
- S Presti, NBA Exec of the Year (anticipated); first EVER
- Oklahoma City Thunder, NBA most improved team; first EVER
- Oklahoma City Festival of the Arts
- Oklahoma City National Memorial - Anniversary, Marathon
- any other events/awards?

could this be the best (most active) week/month in Oklahoma City's history?

Let's not forget President Clinton was in town yesterday, as well as the Festival of the Arts, which is expected to draw 75,000 people from all over the world and one of the top festivals in the U.S. is currently going on this week. Devon Tower is being constructed, Memorial Marathon is this weekend.

metro
04-22-2010, 07:43 AM
"OKC Mayor Bets L.A. Mayor Villaraigosa on NBA Playoff Series" TwitDoc.com - TwitDoc is the EASY way to share your documents on Twitter (http://twitdoc.com/c/wq4nnm)

Good PR move from your dad. Even if we lose, hopefully we'll get some good national press out of it.

OSUMom
04-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Good PR move from your dad. Even if we lose, hopefully we'll get some good national press out of it.

Seems like when the govs do the OU Texas bet, the loser usually ends up winning some sort of PR thing.

Northsider
04-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Do we get fireworks !!!!!!!!!
:welcome55:welcome55:welcome55:welcome55
:Smiley051:Smiley051

jbrown84
04-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Don't forget the #1 NBA draft pick last year was Blake Griffin...ok so he graduated from Oklahoma Christian School in Edmond...but he was born in OKC.

He lived in OKC while going to OCS. I've been to his house.

Pete
04-22-2010, 10:22 PM
What a great, great night for OKC!

Not only our first playoff win, but the city was really showcased and on center stage.

Crowd was amazing!!

Luke
04-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Watched it on TV and the crowd sounded AMAZING. "Thunder" and "OKC" are both trending on Twitter. This is AWESOME publicity and everyone loves the Thunder.

LOUD CITY ROCKED IT TONIGHT! Can't wait for Saturday. :)

Dustin
04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
What a great, great night for OKC!

Not only our first playoff win, but the city was really showcased and on center stage.

Crowd was amazing!!

All it took was durant making shots. Once he started doing that.. It was all over for LA!! MAN you cant beat that crowd!

Larry OKC
04-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Congrats on the Thunder and the amazing turnaround from last season (just making the playoffs is a success)...congrats on the win tonight!

HOT ROD
04-22-2010, 11:13 PM
yes congrats to the Thunder AND Oklahoma City. .....

wow - I hope we at least win all of our home games! and steal one of theirs.

Can you imagine, Game 6 in Oklahoma City with the Thunder up 3-2, and especially if the Thunder would win? .......

OMG - that would probably make this the biggest sporting event in OKC history; not because OU is lower, but because this team is OKC!! We're used to OU Football and winning, it's a ritual - but to have an NBA team that wins it's first playoff series and the last win takes place at HOME?

OMG - that's all I got to say to that WISH!!!!!!

but even if not, still very very very good and my wish more likely would come true next year (even OKC next year might actually have the home court)....

People, make sure downtown is PACKED on Saturday (and game 6)... Even if you dont/cant get tickets - get into the energy of the city, go watch at the sports bars and restaurants; enjoy this big city excitement!!!!

I wish I could jump on a plane now and be there myself......

BG918
04-23-2010, 08:19 AM
I remember Chris Paul saying the OKC crowd was like he remembered in college. Oklahoman's have translated that college sports spirit into their support of the Thunder and that was evident last night.

FritterGirl
04-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Someone else might need to verify, but I could have sworn that over the loud speaker last night, I heard them say Shiny Toy Guns would be playing at Saturday's fanfest in Bricktown.

THAT would be very cool!

king183
04-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Someone else might need to verify, but I could have sworn that over the loud speaker last night, I heard them say Shiny Toy Guns would be playing at Saturday's fanfest in Bricktown.

THAT would be very cool!

Yep, that's what they said.

I've never been to a game as energizing as that one. The crowd was INSANE. Parts of the floor were shaking. You could see the look on our players' faces that they were amazed by the crowd. Great job to the team, the crowd, and the city.

mugofbeer
04-23-2010, 10:26 AM
I've not been to a game there yet, do they play claps of thunder during or before the games to make the place shake?

okclee
04-23-2010, 10:29 AM
I didn't realize that yesterday also marked the 1889 Oklahoma Land Run anniversary.

jbrown84
04-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Watched it on TV and the crowd sounded AMAZING. "Thunder" and "OKC" are both trending on Twitter. This is AWESOME publicity and everyone loves the Thunder.

LOUD CITY ROCKED IT TONIGHT! Can't wait for Saturday. :)

Glad to see you're still checking in here, Luke. Hope all is well!

metro
04-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah Luke. Also speaking of lost oldtime members, where did Karried go?

jbrown84
04-26-2010, 02:58 PM
She's been around on facebook. I wondered the same though. Maybe she just got busy with life.

Luke
04-26-2010, 07:19 PM
The move to Tampa and everything that goes along with that kinda shifted my focus to real life. But now that we've settled a bit, I'll be checking in a bit more. :)

jbrown84
04-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Great! And that's totally understandable.

HOT ROD
04-27-2010, 12:35 PM
weird, I saw Karried had posted a recent post on the Thunder forum website, I recently joined.

maybe I'll pm her to see what's up. ...