View Full Version : Oklahoma City receives $5.4 million in stimulus funds to ‘green’ the city

urbanity
04-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Oklahoma City receives $5.4 million in stimulus funds to ?green? the city | OKG Scene.com (http://www.okgazette.com/p/12776/a/6071/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=LwBEAGUAZgBhAHUAbAB0AC4AYQB zAHAAeAAslashAHAAPQAxADIANwAyADkA)

metro
04-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Awesome. I'm stoked to hear about the following.

A bike-share program downtown will allow people to walk up, swipe a credit or debit card and take a bicycle for up to a two-mile trip. It would be free for the first hour, with a small charge for each additional hour.

“We could see a downtown worker, for example, taking a bicycle to Bricktown for lunch,” Radle said.

Three new recycling drop-offs will be added to augment existing drop-offs, with two in downtown and one in rural Ward 4.

CaseyCornett
04-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Cool idea and I hope it works...but as a downtown worker in the demographic that would use this, I wouldn't in the context of the quote. MOST downtown workers won't/can't ride a bike in a suit and on top of that come back to the office sweating.
I would definitely use something like this after hours or weekends but not during the day to go to Bricktown and back.
I think the streetcars are finally going to be the missing piece to get downtown workers into B-town during lunch.
Are these bike-shares connected to Midtown/Automobile Alley/Film Row too? I think those are the places that bike riders would want to take a bike b/c 95% of people don't want to walk those distances but those places have so much to offer.

earlywinegareth
04-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Reduced glare streetlamps...can't see the milky way anymore.

lonestarstatesux
04-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Awesome. I'm stoked to hear about the following.

The program in Tulsa has worked modestly at best - the racks have signs asking for help identifying people that have taken the bikes without return and I rarely ever see any of the pink bikes out on Riverside. I'd be curious to see what improvements would need to be made to make it work.

metro
04-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Cool idea and I hope it works...but as a downtown worker in the demographic that would use this, I wouldn't in the context of the quote. MOST downtown workers won't/can't ride a bike in a suit and on top of that come back to the office sweating.
I would definitely use something like this after hours or weekends but not during the day to go to Bricktown and back.
I think the streetcars are finally going to be the missing piece to get downtown workers into B-town during lunch.
Are these bike-shares connected to Midtown/Automobile Alley/Film Row too? I think those are the places that bike riders would want to take a bike b/c 95% of people don't want to walk those distances but those places have so much to offer.

Casey, I think you'll be surprised on who would use them. I've rode a bike DT in a suit many times, even in summer. Heck, your dad was even there when us at Urban Neighbors dedicated our bike racks and several of us were wearing suits on bikes. We're talking leisurely rides to BT or across DT for lunch, not a 30 mile bike race. You'd sweat more walking to BT or a few blocks than riding a bike at a leisurely pace creating your own breeze. I do agree though that when we get the streetcars most will ditch the bikes in favor of the streetcar, however hopefully tourists will like to use them to ride to attractions, etc. Also as the article stated, it sounds like Midtown is getting at least 1 of these bike-share racks. I am ASSUMING it will be at Plaza Court, or nearby.

The program in Tulsa has worked modestly at best - the racks have signs asking for help identifying people that have taken the bikes without return and I rarely ever see any of the pink bikes out on Riverside. I'd be curious to see what improvements would need to be made to make it work.

DT Tulsa is DEAD compared to OKC, especially if you're talking streetlife, walkability, connectivity, etc. You're comparing apples and oranges. Also, does Tulsa's program work the same way where you have to swipe your credit card? I imagine they get charged for the bike on their credit card if they don't return it in "x" amount of hours, at least I'm assuming that is how OKC's will work based on the article and other bike shares in other cities.

fuzzytoad
04-21-2010, 11:26 AM
2 things in that article sound completely idiotic to me, which makes me think the rest of the plan for this money isn't well thought-out:

1. “We could see a downtown worker, for example, taking a bicycle to Bricktown for lunch,” Radle said.

2. $320,000 for three staff members in the Office of Sustainability

Grant
04-21-2010, 11:26 AM

Couldn't you just use a credit card to rent a bike? No charge for the first hour or two. But if you return it late, you're charged a late fee. If you never return it, you're charged the cost of the bike.

Use the movie rental system.

metro
04-21-2010, 11:27 AM
2 things in that article sound completely idiotic to me, which makes me think the rest of the plan for this money isn't well thought-out:

1. “We could see a downtown worker, for example, taking a bicycle to Bricktown for lunch,” Radle said.

Explain...

metro
04-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Couldn't you just use a credit card to rent a bike? No charge for the first hour or two. But if you return it late, you're charged a late fee. If you never return it, you're charged the cost of the bike.

Use the movie rental system.

This is how they typically work, and the article stated they'd have to swipe a credit or debit card.

fuzzytoad
04-21-2010, 11:29 AM
This is how they typically work, and the article stated they'd have to swipe a credit or debit card.

pre-paid debit cards would be perfect for stealing the bikes then.

Grant
04-21-2010, 11:39 AM

True. I wonder if that would work, though. I've heard that you can't use pre-paid cards in a Redbox.

fuzzytoad
04-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Explain...

well for the bike part, there's a number of reasons..

Someone already pointed out the fact that lots of suit-wearing DT workers won't want to get sweaty, ruin pant legs, etc..

Yes, I know there are dedicated bike riders who already wear suits while bike-riding, which means they probably already ride a bike to work, own the necessary safety equipment(helmet, vest) have the leg cuff things to keep pant legs from fouling the chain, and whatever else a bike rider typically needs. The average joe isn't going to have all that stuff on-hand to just do a spur-of-the-moment lunchtime ride to BT..

I also don't think the bikes will last more than a month due to vandalism, theft and routine damage.

They have to be maintained for safety reasons, and I'm sure there will be some sort of liability insurance cost the city will have to pay to cover damages caused by mechanical failures or cover the expenses of jackasses who get on them and immediately crash into other vehicles.

As for the $320k for three new staff positions? Why? Why would anyone need to be hired to oversee this one-time 5.4 million payment? Isn't this part of the city manager's job? If not, fine, but $320k????? for 3 people?

Midtowner
04-21-2010, 12:07 PM

My guess is that the kiosk will authorize a certain purchase (the cost of the bike) on the card, so that in the event that the bike is not returned, the kiosk will know the money is there to charge, charge it and be done. I'm sure theft is built into the equation though.

Platemaker
04-21-2010, 12:24 PM

Pink bikes... I'm no marketing major but I bet this has something to do with the modest success. I wouldn't ride a pink bike.

okclee
04-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Pink bikes... I'm no marketing major but I bet this has something to do with the modest success. I wouldn't ride a pink bike.

I was thinking the same.

Pink bikes? .........No thanks I'll walk.

Maybe we can get them with handle streamers too?

BG918
04-21-2010, 01:41 PM
I was thinking the same.

Pink bikes? .........No thanks I'll walk.

Maybe we can get them with handle streamers too?

They are pink because they were donated by St. Francis Hospital and their signature color is pink. The bike stations aren't downtown but along the river trails. TU also has a similar program with yellow bikes. Some of the problems with the program are outlined in this Urban Tulsa article: Not Down with Tulsa Townies - Borrow-a-bike program looks good on paper, if not on pedal - News - City, State, County, Education - Urban Tulsa Weekly (http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A24307) Maybe OKC can see what about Tulsa's program needs improving and create a better system.

Watson410
04-21-2010, 08:49 PM
How many bicycle stations will the city be getting?? They should consider putting a bicycle rental station at Boathouse Row.. That would be perfect, rent the bike for an hour or two and ride along the river. The city should definitely think about it anyways..

redrunner
04-21-2010, 09:13 PM
So everyone's going goo goo gah gah over this but no one wants to mention the $5.4 million is coming from the federal stimulus funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act which Obama signed into law. Don't mean to rile everyone up but if certain members are going to spew their poison over Obama and stay silent when his agenda benefits OKC, well that's just hypocritcal.

soonerguru
04-21-2010, 09:50 PM
As for the $320k for three new staff positions? Why? Why would anyone need to be hired to oversee this one-time 5.4 million payment? Isn't this part of the city manager's job? If not, fine, but $320k????? for 3 people?

That's not really that outrageous. The money is not just for salary. Benefits, workers' comp, etc. add to the base.

Larry OKC
04-21-2010, 10:10 PM
While I can appreciate that it covers benefits too, a 6 figure "salary" seems extreme and a tad ironic/oxymoronic since it is for the "Office of Sustainability"...LOL...how the heck to you sustain that salary?

Never mind, I'm not going to complain about it, where do I fill out the job application?

ljbab728
04-21-2010, 11:19 PM

Someone already pointed out the fact that lots of suit-wearing DT workers won't want to get sweaty, ruin pant legs, etc..

Yes, I know there are dedicated bike riders who already wear suits while bike-riding, which means they probably already ride a bike to work, own the necessary safety equipment(helmet, vest) have the leg cuff things to keep pant legs from fouling the chain, and whatever else a bike rider typically needs. The average joe isn't going to have all that stuff on-hand to just do a spur-of-the-moment lunchtime ride to BT..

I also don't think the bikes will last more than a month due to vandalism, theft and routine damage.

They have to be maintained for safety reasons, and I'm sure there will be some sort of liability insurance cost the city will have to pay to cover damages caused by mechanical failures or cover the expenses of jackasses who get on them and immediately crash into other vehicles.

Fuzzy, this works in many cities especially in Europe. Why shouldn't it work here? Do we have more thieves and vandals than other cities?

venture
04-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Does any of the $320K go towards things like...i dunno...office space, employment taxes, utilities, transportation if they need to provide any, supplies, etc.?

metro
04-22-2010, 08:13 AM

I've already debunked that in my post before you posted these concerns. These are cruiser type bicycles, not street touring bikes or mountain bikes. Geez, people you act like it's running a marathon to leisurely ride a block a few bikes. I don't wear all this protective gear and get special suit wearing rider gear, I know several people who leisurely ride DT in dress clothing on a regular and non-regular basis. I think/hope you all will be proven wrong.

How many bicycle stations will the city be getting?? They should consider putting a bicycle rental station at Boathouse Row.. That would be perfect, rent the bike for an hour or two and ride along the river. The city should definitely think about it anyways..

As the article stated, 3 stations, 1 might go to Midtown. Probably a good idea too.

That's not really that outrageous. The money is not just for salary. Benefits, workers' comp, etc. add to the base.

Exactly, not to mention office space, utilities, insurance, benefits, and who knows, maybe that money is for multiple years of salary, not just one year!!

While I can appreciate that it covers benefits too, a 6 figure "salary" seems extreme and a tad ironic/oxymoronic since it is for the "Office of Sustainability"...LOL...how the heck to you sustain that salary?

Never mind, I'm not going to complain about it, where do I fill out the job application?

See answer above. This city is way behind the times with just now getting an office of Sustainability. You act as if they just oversee bike racks that "won't be used" according to most of you. It goes far beyond that, and frankly, this City is embarrasing and way behind the times on a sustainability level. I'm thankful we've seen a big push for sustainability this last year, but still have miles to go and are playing catch up.

Does any of the $320K go towards things like...i dunno...office space, employment taxes, utilities, transportation if they need to provide any, supplies, etc.?

Exactly, see my above answer.

fuzzytoad
04-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Fuzzy, this works in many cities especially in Europe. Why shouldn't it work here? Do we have more thieves and vandals than other cities?

It doesn't work in Tulsa

fuzzytoad
04-22-2010, 10:02 AM
I've already debunked that in my post before you posted these concerns. These are cruiser type bicycles, not street touring bikes or mountain bikes. Geez, people you act like it's running a marathon to leisurely ride a block a few bikes. I don't wear all this protective gear and get special suit wearing rider gear, I know several people who leisurely ride DT in dress clothing on a regular and non-regular basis. I think/hope you all will be proven wrong.

Ah, I wasn't aware that the specific type of bicycles had been detailed out in this plan. I'd be curious to see where that information exists.

I also wasn't aware that the 1999 OKC ordinance requiring helmets for all ages had been repealed.. I looked online, but can't find anything..

As for getting sweaty, soiling outfits, etc.. Are you really suggesting that people will rent these things to ride a few blocks?(I know you said "ride a block a few bikes" but I'm assuming you meant "ride a bike a few blocks")

That seems a little ridiculous, especially since the quote from the article insinuated that DT workers would be riding them to BT for lunch.. That's a bit more than a few blocks, especially in 90-100+ degree weather.

It just seems like a complete waste of $200k to me. Money that could easily be spent on retrofits or replacement of inefficient systems in the city.

Granted, I haven't actually seen the bikes which you state are "cruiser-type" bikes, so I'm just assuming that they aren't rainbow-powered green machines that use gaia-enhanced anti-vandalism/theft shields. So yes, I could be wrong...

Maybe Tulsa needs these magical bikes.

metro
04-22-2010, 10:51 AM
It doesn't work in Tulsa

see the post several above yours on WHY it doesn't work. Not to mention, DT Tulsa has virtually zero streetlife and nearby dense districts like DT OKC does. DT Tulsa has a sea of surface parking, way more than we do.

Not Down with Tulsa Townies - Borrow-a-bike program looks good on paper, if not on pedal - News - City, State, County, Education - Urban Tulsa Weekly (http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A24307)

metro
04-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Ah, I wasn't aware that the specific type of bicycles had been detailed out in this plan. I'd be curious to see where that information exists.

I also wasn't aware that the 1999 OKC ordinance requiring helmets for all ages had been repealed.. I looked online, but can't find anything..

As for getting sweaty, soiling outfits, etc.. Are you really suggesting that people will rent these things to ride a few blocks?(I know you said "ride a block a few bikes" but I'm assuming you meant "ride a bike a few blocks")

That seems a little ridiculous, especially since the quote from the article insinuated that DT workers would be riding them to BT for lunch.. That's a bit more than a few blocks, especially in 90-100+ degree weather.

It just seems like a complete waste of $200k to me. Money that could easily be spent on retrofits or replacement of inefficient systems in the city.

Granted, I haven't actually seen the bikes which you state are "cruiser-type" bikes, so I'm just assuming that they aren't rainbow-powered green machines that use gaia-enhanced anti-vandalism/theft shields. So yes, I could be wrong...

Maybe Tulsa needs these magical bikes.

Yes, I consider riding a bike from say, Chase Tower to Bricktown is 3-4 blocks tops. If this makes you sweaty in a suit, a person should probably be riding one more often anyways. Again, bikes create a breeze, versus the sweat you'd create WALKING to Bricktown for lunch. I guess some of you people have never seen one of these successful bike programs. Don't use Tulsa for comparison, apples & oranges.

stephy
04-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Yes, I consider riding a bike from say, Chase Tower to Bricktown is 3-4 blocks tops. If this makes you sweaty in a suit, a person should probably be riding one more often anyways. Again, bikes create a breeze, versus the sweat you'd create WALKING to Bricktown for lunch. I guess some of you people have never seen one of these successful bike programs. Don't use Tulsa for comparison, apples & oranges.

They're putting a bike share kiosk at the Chase building? Awesome!

I can't wait for this.

When I lived in Cambridge the UK government put in lots of those kiosks around the city with around 50 bikes each. It was wonderful for the first few weeks until the the bikes got slashed tires and twisted frames every other night. Then they went to a subscription based system but that meant you had to do a safety training course that cost more than buying a new bike. Most of the people I knew who still used it after that quit after getting citations for not wearing safety vests.

I hope they can figure out how to keeps these things from happening here, especially if there's going to be a kiosk at the Chase tower!

stephy
04-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Oh! I forgot!

I also agree with metro about fat people riding the bikes. If they're too fat and get all sweaty riding them, then they should just stay away until they lose some weight.

I don't want to have to wipe somebody else's nastiness off the seats anyway.

metro
04-22-2010, 11:40 AM
They're putting a bike share kiosk at the Chase building? Awesome!

I can't wait for this.

When I lived in Cambridge the UK government put in lots of those kiosks around the city with around 50 bikes each. It was wonderful for the first few weeks until the the bikes got slashed tires and twisted frames every other night. Then they went to a subscription based system but that meant you had to do a safety training course that cost more than buying a new bike. Most of the people I knew who still used it after that quit after getting citations for not wearing safety vests.

I hope they can figure out how to keeps these things from happening here, especially if there's going to be a kiosk at the Chase tower!

Not necessarily at Chase, I was just using it as an example. There will be 3 downtown at first if you read the above article. Unlike the UK I think the culture is different, people don't have to go to safety class, wear vests, etc. I think we will be smart and learn from other cities successes and failures with these types of programs. The resume/background from the Autumn lady running this program (again in the article) is very impressive.

ljbab728
04-22-2010, 10:36 PM
It doesn't work in Tulsa

lol. Where there you go then. Anything that doesn't work in Tulsa couldn't possibly work in OKC.

andy157
04-22-2010, 10:53 PM
:congrats:
So everyone's going goo goo gah gah over this but no one wants to mention the $5.4 million is coming from the federal stimulus funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act which Obama signed into law. Don't mean to rile everyone up but if certain members are going to spew their poison over Obama and stay silent when his agenda benefits OKC, well that's just hypocritcal.:congrats:

HOT ROD
04-22-2010, 11:07 PM
silence - to redrunner's point.

lol

give Obama credit and Oklahoma (OKC specifically) stop bowing to those conservatives/Republicans who care nothing about your state/city or people. ....

Larry OKC
04-22-2010, 11:13 PM
...This city is way behind the times with just now getting an office of Sustainability. You act as if they just oversee bike racks that "won't be used" according to most of you. It goes far beyond that, and frankly, this City is embarrasing and way behind the times on a sustainability level. I'm thankful we've seen a big push for sustainability this last year, but still have miles to go and are playing catch up.

Maybe you didn't mean to quote me as I haven't taken a position on the Bikes or most of the other things mentioned in the article. The question I have is: doesn't $300K + for 3 people seem a little high? Especially for an "Office of Sustainability"? How do you sustain that? what happens when the Fed money runs out? This is sort of like using the Use Tax to fund the fire/police positions. What happens when the use tax ends? The positions probably go away.

I have nothing against being more energy efficient etc. But you have to weigh the cost to the benefits. Will it ever "pay for itself"

For example, when they 1st came out with the compact florescent bulbs, the advertising hype on the back of the pack showed that the $10 bulb would pay for itself over the lifetime of the bulb due to lower energy usage. Sounded great on paper but in reality, to get the same light output in a room, one had to upgrade the the bulb (what they claimed to be a 60 watt light equivalent wasn't, had to get a 100, 150 or even a 200 watt equivalent...thus not near the energy savings on the back of the pack.

Add in to it that the expected life expectancy of the bulb was no where near what was on the package. I replaced the light bulbs in two identical lamps, one a 89 cent regular bulb and the other with the $10 CF. Both lasted about the same amount of time before burning out (within a week of each other). Both were on the exact same amount of time (plugged into the same extension cord controlled by a wall light switch). The $10 bulb never did pay for itself before it died. Not sustainable.

This is just for replacing bulbs (multiply by the number of fixtures in you home or place of business), if you have to replace the fixtures too...

Am sure there will be some sort of press release that will proclaim "$,$$$ saved through conversions" (not mentioning it cost $$$,$$$ to save that amount).

metro
04-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Good questions and I agree with your basis. Perhaps the energy savings along from switching to high energy bulbs to LED alone will be enough to cover salaries, not to mention, I'm sure they are seeking more grants like they did with this one. And if the position goes away, LED bulbs and other energy efficiencies last years, bulbs approximately 10-12 years. So that's much less maintenance on changing them, purchasing replacements, etc. The technology on CFL's and LED's is rapidly changing and has changed a lot from when they came out a few years ago, and the price has gone down substantially.

BG918
04-23-2010, 08:37 AM
see the post several above yours on WHY it doesn't work. Not to mention, DT Tulsa has virtually zero streetlife and nearby dense districts like DT OKC does. DT Tulsa has a sea of surface parking, way more than we do.

Not Down with Tulsa Townies - Borrow-a-bike program looks good on paper, if not on pedal - News - City, State, County, Education - Urban Tulsa Weekly (http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A24307)

You make it sound like we're comparing downtown OKC to downtown Amarillo or Fort Smith. My job affords me the ability to work on a weekly basis in the downtowns of Tulsa and OKC so I am very familiar with both. I am in both cities weekly. Outside of Bricktown which is more developed than any of the downtown districts in Tulsa the streetlife in each city is the same. I know people here want to think downtown OKC is so much more dense and vibrant than Tulsa but it's not.

metro
04-23-2010, 08:41 AM
MidTown is pretty hopping constantly, as is AutoAlley and to a lesser extent, Arts District. We're also much more compact than DT Tulsa.

soonerguru
04-23-2010, 09:11 AM
You make it sound like we're comparing downtown OKC to downtown Amarillo or Fort Smith. My job affords me the ability to work on a weekly basis in the downtowns of Tulsa and OKC so I am very familiar with both. I am in both cities weekly. Outside of Bricktown which is more developed than any of the downtown districts in Tulsa the streetlife in each city is the same. I know people here want to think downtown OKC is so much more dense and vibrant than Tulsa but it's not.

While I don't believe our downtown is particularly vibrant, I at least notice pedestrians walking around on nights and weekends here. Vast number of pedestrians? No. But pedestrians nonetheless.

I also work frequently in downtown Tulsa for my job and I've noticed a dearth of any kind of pedestrian traffic after 5 p.m. on weekdays and/or on the weekends. The exceptions to this of course are people in the fairly vibrant Blue Dome and Brady Districts -- and people going to puffy taco night at Elote downtown. Other than that: deadsville.

stephy
04-23-2010, 10:58 AM
While I don't believe our downtown is particularly vibrant, I at least notice pedestrians walking around on nights and weekends here. Vast number of pedestrians? No. But pedestrians nonetheless.

I also work frequently in downtown Tulsa for my job and I've noticed a dearth of any kind of pedestrian traffic after 5 p.m. on weekdays and/or on the weekends. The exceptions to this of course are people in the fairly vibrant Blue Dome and Brady Districts -- and people going to puffy taco night at Elote downtown. Other than that: deadsville.

Aren't the bikes in Tulsa located along Riverside? What does Tulsa's downtown have to do with this?

BG918
04-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Aren't the bikes in Tulsa located along Riverside? What does Tulsa's downtown have to do with this?

Yes they are, metro was the one who mentioned downtown. The ones in Tulsa along the river are successful but have been plagued by problems. OKC would be wise to see what problems Tulsa has experienced and try to fix those before implementing the system. I think they will work better in downtown OKC than they do along the river in Tulsa as most people who go to the river are there to either jog or have their own, much nicer bikes. They are more suited for quick trips from one side of downtown to another and not several miles of riding along river trails.

PLANSIT
04-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Great news. I'm excited a program like this is coming to OKC.

Denver just launched their Bike-Share program (http://denver.bcycle.com/News.aspx?itemid=16) yesterday. 500 bikes at roughly 50 stations. It is the largest system in the country. Washington DC's SmartBike (https://www.smartbikedc.com/program_information.asp) was the first to do a larger scale program. Denver was second and much larger. Minneapolis' NiceRide (http://www.niceridemn.com/) is going to launch later this year and will be even larger than Denver's.

The real success of these programs lies in complete saturation. As many bikes and as many stations as possible.

Great job Autumn.

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID36399/images/resized_bcycle.JPG

dismayed
04-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Cool that this is coming to OKC.

I've also been to cities where you could rent those tiny little electric cars at share kiosks kind of like the bike kiosk above. That'd be a nice amenity to have downtown too.

Spartan
04-25-2010, 11:30 PM

I'm not going to lie... you're spot-on.

Most of these greening measures are things that OKC can and should be doing by itself. OKC is a very brown city.

Larry OKC
04-25-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm not going to lie... you're spot-on.

Most of these greening measures are things that OKC can and should be doing by itself. OKC is a very brown city.

Thats why we need more corporate plazas/parks. Go SandRidge!

(I kid)

ljbab728
04-26-2010, 12:20 AM
Thats why we need more corporate plazas/parks. Go SandRidge!

(I kid)

I'm not agreeing with Sandridge but these are two totally different important issues.

metro
05-20-2010, 07:24 AM
Oklahoma City to launch Bike Share Program
By April Wilkerson
The Journal Record
Posted: 09:19 PM Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The city of Oklahoma City is gearing up for its Bike Share Program, which would allow downtown workers to check out a bike for errands or lunchtime travel. (Maike Sabolich)
OKLAHOMA CITY – You work downtown, dutifully parking your car in a multi-level garage and toiling away in the office until you remember that errand you need to take care of today.

It’s in Midtown – far enough that you don’t really want to walk, but a waste of time and gas to get your car.

Soon, you may be able to hop on a bike for the trip.

Oklahoma City is making plans for its Bike Share Program, an initiative sparked by money from the Department of Energy. Autumn Radle, director of sustainability for the city, said she’s preparing a request for proposals for the program, which would place bikes and payment kiosks in several areas. Because of the Project 180 renovations downtown, she said she’ll first place bikes in Midtown and Bricktown, then bring them downtown later.

Bike share programs are popular in Europe, she said, but are starting to appear in the United States. They allow a person to go to a payment kiosk, swipe a debit or credit card and check out a bike. Radle said she wants the bikes to be free for the first hour or two, so people can run errands or ride to lunch, but a small charge will be necessary after that so there’s sufficient turnover of bikes.

“We want people to think of biking as a viable means of transportation,” she said. “We’re seeing that slowly start up in the city, but it’s still new to people – the idea that they could bike to get somewhere rather than just bike for recreation.”

Project 180 will make it easier for people to ride a bike because renovations will include bicycle lanes, Radle said. She’s also investigating a way to make helmets available and easy to use, even though people aren’t required to wear them.

Radle has $200,000 available for the Bike Share Program, part of a $5.4 million grant from the Department of Energy. The department requires that she have someone under contract for the program by December, she said.

Radle said she hopes downtown employers lend a hand to the program as well by sponsoring a bike station or kiosk. “We’re hoping businesses will see the value in this as well,” she said.

The state of Oklahoma also is promoting the use of bicycles. Friday is “Bike to Work Day,” a promotion of Oklahoma’s State Benefits Office, Employee Benefits Council and its OKHealth Wellness Program.

“We’re proud to support and promote ‘Bike to Work Day’ because it’s a fun way to get some exercise,” said Employee Benefits Council Executive Director Philip K. Kraft. “Our OKHealth efforts and studies have shown us active employees are more alert, use fewer sick days and are more productive.”

State employees continue to enroll in the OKHealth Wellness Program, said Brian King, communications officer for the Employee Benefits Council. Since last fall, the group has offered about 20 wellness screenings at state agencies, simplifying the process for employees to get into the program and connect with a wellness coach. Nearly 900 people underwent the screenings, he said, and 663 of them started the wellness program.

Spartan
05-21-2010, 06:26 AM

Metro, I think you need to recognize the importance of being realistic about OKC's own flaws. I'm not saying you're not in touch with where OKC is, because you obviously have a better memory of some stuff than myself and others.

metro
05-21-2010, 08:13 AM
expand.....

metro
06-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Denver's Bike Share launched last month, looks like it's doing quite well, maybe we can model after them instead of Tulsa.

The Technology Driving Denver's B-cycle Bike Sharing System | Fast Company (http://www.fastcompany.com/1656160/the-technology-driving-denvers-new-b-cycle-bike-sharing-system?partner=rss)

Spartan
06-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Anyone but Tulsa.

Fishstick1979
06-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Denver's Bike Share launched last month, looks like it's doing quite well, maybe we can model after them instead of Tulsa.

The Technology Driving Denver's B-cycle Bike Sharing System | Fast Company (http://www.fastcompany.com/1656160/the-technology-driving-denvers-new-b-cycle-bike-sharing-system?partner=rss)

You don't read much do you? Already been discussed, see post #42.

okclee
06-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Denver sounds like a very cool bike system, 400 bikes wow! Also I like the I-phone app availability.

How many bikes are we getting?

And where do people want the bike racks located in Okc?

metro
06-04-2010, 12:49 PM
You don't read much do you? Already been discussed, see post #42.

Well you know I do, but fair enough, I dup'd a suggestion, ya got me, and I will admit it as usual. However the article I linked was a new article not posted so others might enjoy it.

oneforone
06-04-2010, 01:14 PM
This is just hilarious...

I could see stolen credit cards being used on these machines and the bikes ending up in the river, on top of billboards, in people's garages, found abandoned somewhere decorated with the tasteful artwork of a tagger, being carried around by homeless people like shopping carts and being sold piece by piece on Craigslist and Ebay.

I think I could make better use of the money by stacking it in a loose pile in the back of my truck and driving as fast as I could down I-40.

At least then the money might go to people that actually need it instead of a bunch of yuppies that could easily afford ten of these bikes.

metro
06-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Well again I don't think it lets you use credit cards, without a $1000 pre-authorization, and in Denvers case, you have to make an account with them and give your information, the bikes are equipped with RFID's that also work as a GPS soo......

fuzzytoad
06-04-2010, 01:23 PM
the bikes are equipped with RFID's that also work as a GPS soo......

http://www.okctalk.com/members/fuzzytoad-albums-toyguns-picture299-2046080058-424a664b4c.jpg

oneforone
06-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Well again I don't think it lets you use credit cards, without a $1000 pre-authorization, and in Denvers case, you have to make an account with them and give your information, the bikes are equipped with RFID's that also work as a GPS soo......

In most cases as we found at my employer recently.... GPS is not turned on until a theft has been reported. By then the bike could be in a million pieces or at the bottom of the river.

Not mention if I lose the bike by theft or carelessness all I have to do is cancel my card and the preauthorization does not go through to my account. I am just waiting for the day to come when a hacker breaks in to one of these credit card ports and runs up thousands of dollars on customer cards.

fuzzytoad
06-04-2010, 02:20 PM
I am just waiting for the day to come when a hacker breaks in to one of these credit card ports and runs up thousands of dollars on customer cards.

It's called skimming..

Happens all the time at ATMs, Redbox kiosks, gas station pumps, etc...

Spartan
06-04-2010, 04:34 PM
This is just hilarious...

I could see stolen credit cards being used on these machines and the bikes ending up in the river, on top of billboards, in people's garages, found abandoned somewhere decorated with the tasteful artwork of a tagger, being carried around by homeless people like shopping carts and being sold piece by piece on Craigslist and Ebay.

I think I could make better use of the money by stacking it in a loose pile in the back of my truck and driving as fast as I could down I-40.

At least then the money might go to people that actually need it instead of a bunch of yuppies that could easily afford ten of these bikes.

I suddenly think this is a great idea.