View Full Version : Where do you work

mranderson
02-23-2005, 06:52 AM
Here is a getting to know you.

Where do you work, what do you do there, how long have you been there, and do you like it (why or why not)

Most know I am at Dell, and have been since November. Do I like it? Not the job, but I do like the company. I am a customer service senior agent.

Midtowner
02-23-2005, 07:55 AM
I have a pretty short Resumé.

I worked all through HS and college (starting days after my 16 birthday) at RadioShack. I did do a 1 year stint at The Sharper Image though. At RadioShack, I worked at Quail Springs, then was sent to Penn Square until it closed, then I worked at 23rd and Penn, 23rd and Meridian, 63rd and May, and finally, Rockwell & NW Expressway.

After graduating college, I subbed in Edmond Schools for a year.

Then I landed at a local law firm (name withheld) and am working as a Legal Assistant. I got what one might be considered a job (only I pay them) as a Law Student at OCU, and will start their evening program in the Fall. That makes me the OCU Law Class of '09.

1adam12
02-23-2005, 12:23 PM
OKC Police Dept. 10 years

dirtrider73068
02-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Well I work for the wonderful City Of Norman in the parks and rec department. I take care of all the parks around town keeping them mowed and trashed picked up so the kids and everybody can enjoy them. We have heard that we hav ethe best looking parks some peopl have ever seen, even hav eheard that ours are better than okc's parks. Can't say that for sure myself haven't seen okc's parks to know.

Keith
02-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Well, I work in the water/wastewater division for the City of Okla. City as an emergency services dispatcher, and am currently the senior dispatcher (special title...no extra money). I have been with the City for 14 years. Our office operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including all holidays.

I sit at a computer all day long, receiving and sending e-mails from other city departments, researching legal claims, looking at maps to find water main and sewer main locations, assisting contractors, and dispatching water and sewer emergency calls to crews in the field.

I am very happy with my job, and I have an excellent boss that I work for. When he is gone, I am the one who gets the priviledge to "act" in his position. Yep, that means double duty. Oh, did I mention that I work with 7 women?:fighting4 . They are always in a good mood...yeah, right:LolLolLol

Ms.Relaxationstation
02-24-2005, 01:23 PM
I teach private piano in my home and have been teaching privately for about 8 years (work for self). I also work for a speech pathologist in Edmond as an office manager. This is a part-time job and I have been here a little over a year. Lastly, I do massage therapy in my home (work for self) and have been doing this off and on since '92. I love all of my jobs and the flexibility of them. It really has been a blessing to be able to do something I love to do, make $$, and have flexible schedule.:bright_id

dirtrider73068
02-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Wow massage therapy, I would be interested in that. I would like to have a massage done but they can be so expensive. I found a at home place but its way up north side she wanted 40 hour 25 half hour. Ms. R what would you charge to do massage therapy, and would be willing to do a massage?

cddws2000
02-24-2005, 03:58 PM
I work for Oklahoma County. Don't really want to go into too much detail about my job, but I do love it. I have a wonderful boss and wonderful co-workers. The only bad thing is working with elected officials. I swear we have been in the news here lately just about every week. It's crazy. Luckily the elected official that I work for isn't a bad one. The funny thing is, I live in Cleveland County, so I can't even vote for him/her.

Curt
02-24-2005, 04:22 PM
I work for Roush Industries and am an Engineering Tech., I build and test experimental vehicles for Ford's up here. All in all, it is not bad. The job marekt up here is very competetive and hard to keep up. I would much rather be somewhere else.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
02-24-2005, 05:10 PM
I stare at a door. That's my job.

Karried
02-24-2005, 06:58 PM
I am basically self employed - Realtor. I love my job but it is sometimes so hard! (but what job isn't?)

When I was younger I spent 13 years in the grocery business, this was in California and we had great benefits and salaries - union, but I worked nights and weekends my entire time there and that was difficult.

I was lucky enough to become a Stay at Home Mom while my kids were young - now that is a hard job! It didn't look that hard until I was actually doing it! After years of that...I needed some variety and extra income.

I've worked with a mortgage broker as an Admin. Assistant and now am a Realtor. I love helping people get into a home but I don't like that people sometimes think of us along the lines of Used Car Salesman ( sorry to the salespeople out there). I don't like to be aggressive or pushy which is why I'm probably not a multi-million dollar producer! :-)

But, I always wanted to be in the medical field helping people heal and I never did, so I think the moral of this story for the younger people reading is follow your dreams.... pursue them no matter what happens in the process.

Patrick
02-25-2005, 01:33 AM
My resume is similar to Midtowner's, only in a different field. Throughout undergrad and high school, I worked mostly at different hospitals (mostly file room), and research labs (did a few lab tech jobs). Being a full time medical student there's no time for work. Fortunately, I've taken some time off now to help plan a wedding and give my body some TLC, but other than that, I'm ready to return to medical school this summer.

nurfe75
02-25-2005, 08:53 PM
I'm an insurance adjuster. I get to hear people tell lies all day and try their hands at committing fraud. It's the most rewarding job you could ever dream of having. Oh well. At least it pays okay.

Rev. Bob
02-28-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm an education minister at a moderate size Baptist church in Oklahoma City. I coordinate our Sunday School and Small Group classes.

MasterWolf
03-05-2005, 11:13 AM
I stare at a door. That's my job.

Awesome Job, But do you love it?

MasterWolf
03-05-2005, 11:16 AM
I work for an insurance company as a mail clerk. Do I love it? NO WAY!! This company treats their employee's like crap. Why do I work there? Well, It pays the bills until I find something better.

mom2des_n_nate
03-05-2005, 02:46 PM
I am a full time mom taking care of 2 little ones.. Part time as a temp thing I do tax prep for Jackson Hewitt..

workman45
03-05-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm a journeyman semi-trailer mechanic for U S Foodservice. I've been there 3 months and definitely consider it an improvement in jobs. So I keep people safe on the road and help get our product there on time. Yes, I can take it all apart and put it back together again. lol

Curt
03-05-2005, 08:49 PM
I work for an insurance company as a mail clerk. Do I love it? NO WAY!! This company treats their employee's like crap. Why do I work there? Well, It pays the bills until I find something better.

As Jimmy Buffett says "Every job sucks....you just have to find one that sucks less", I like what I do when I am at a Ford facility,they treat you like a human being, but back at a Roush building it sucks, they treat you as an object.

travis
03-06-2005, 10:54 PM
I work for a civil engineering firm in Dallas. I do roadway design; currently finishing up a highway in Lubbock, and starting one in San Antonio. I graduated from OSU in 2000, and have been here ever since. I haven't had a chance to do in work fo oklahome yet.

Midtowner
03-07-2005, 12:06 AM
travis -- that's an excellent engineering school. Unfortunately, that's what happens to a lot of our OSU engineering grads... not enough demand for labor here.

travis
03-08-2005, 06:56 PM
I could have gotten a job with ODOT, but the private firms down here offer better pay and advancement oppurtunities. OKC and Tulsa just do not have very many large firms. There are a lot more road construction projects in Texas, simply because of a larger population. I do watch for job openings back home though, so I might move back to OKC someday. I would much rather live there than Dallas.