View Full Version : While OKC is investing our taxes to improve the Downtown area...

possumfritter
04-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Putnam City School District is spending our taxes to create a garbage dump in our neighborhood (directly/immediately south of the Roxboro subdivision. I am in the process of finding out if there is any truth to the "rumors" that this property is leased to the School District by Humphreys Real Estate Investment.

http://www.okctalk.com/members/possumfritter-albums.html

Pete
04-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Humphreys owns the land the fronts Council (south of Grace Presbyterian) but PC Schools own the 57 acres behind it and directly south of the subdivision.

possumfritter
04-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Humphreys owns the land the fronts Council (south of Grace Presbyterian) but PC Schools own the 57 acres behind it and directly south of the subdivision.

Thanks! Is that info from the County Assessors website (where I was about to go)?

Pete
04-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Yes, it's from there.

mugofbeer
04-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Why would PC Schools need their own garbage dump?

possumfritter
04-16-2010, 05:18 PM
That, my friend, is the exact question I intend to ask Councilman Ryan (first), and then when I don't hear from him (as usual), I'll submit that question to Mayor Cornett (his office always responds).

sgray
04-16-2010, 06:48 PM
This is great, possum! Pics are so valuable, but the GARBAGE BAGS thrown out there on the ground just tops it all off! "NO TRESPASSING!" Ha ha... What's next? an 8' fence that you can't see through lined with barbed-wire at the top? And/or security cameras to catch the concerned trespassers (read: residents) who are trying to see where the influx of rats and bugs in the area is coming from.

I assume the chair is for the well-deserved break the over-worked personnel must take on our dime as well. One 30-minute break for every bag hauled to the site! Ha ha...

Do keep us updated on what comes of this.

Larry OKC
04-16-2010, 08:58 PM
That, my friend, is the exact question I intend to ask Councilman Ryan (first), and then when I don't hear from him (as usual), I'll submit that question to Mayor Cornett (his office always responds).

Not sure how much this will help you since the City of Oklahoma City has no official connection with the various school districts (MAPS for Kids non-withstanding).

But that brings us back to the question as to why a SCHOOL DISTRICT would need a dump?

possumfritter
04-16-2010, 09:31 PM
But that brings us back to the question as to why a SCHOOL DISTRICT would need a dump?

I hope to get that question answered next week.

flintysooner
04-17-2010, 04:59 AM
Seems like asking Putnam City School Board might be more appropriate?

rcjunkie
04-17-2010, 07:37 AM

Why would you ask your City Councilmen or the Mayor ?, if this is Putnam City School property, call/ask them.

rcjunkie
04-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Putnam City School District is spending our taxes to create a garbage dump in our neighborhood (directly/immediately south of the Roxboro subdivision. I am in the process of finding out if there is any truth to the "rumors" that this property is leased to the School District by Humphreys Real Estate Investment.

http://www.okctalk.com/members/possumfritter-albums.html

If the "rumors" about Humphrey Real Estate Investment Co. owning this property were true, that would matter because __________, or are you just a Humphrey hater?

possumfritter
04-17-2010, 08:40 AM
rcjunkie,

Thank you for the questions. No, I am definitely not a Humphreys hater. One thing I have noticed about the parcels of land the Humphreys own out this way (especially along Hefner where the younger Humphreys owned the Storage facility) are the most poorly maintained and most often tagged properties by the City Inspectors. In some sections you can't even make out the sidewalks anymore. Since they don't live there...Well, you know how that goes.

I called the PCSD several years ago when the "heap pile" got so big it really had become an eye sore (you can see it on yahoo maps). The rest of the property was free of garbage at that time. They leveled that heap pile, and have since commenced to "dump" along the tree line (those trees have grown considerably since 2005, and much is out of direct view from the street).

As for contacting Councilman Ryan, I'll just say it is another test of what he can and cannot do or will or will not do. However, given the feedback on this on okctalk, I will call the PCSD first and see what they have to say.

BTW...google maps shows the area (11100 Roxboro Ave) before 2000, and yahoo maps is about 2004-2005.

I hope that answers your questions.

flintysooner
04-17-2010, 09:47 AM
As for the dumping issue I have had experience with owning undeveloped land in Oklahoma City and having people dump stuff on the City right-of-way. Then the City fines the property owner.

My argument is that the City should find the people who dump their refuse, unwanted animals, broken furniture, and who knows what else and punish them. Of course that never happens.

possumfritter
04-17-2010, 10:15 AM
flintysooner...In this instance, there's no possible way anyone can drive a vehicle onto this property. However, I noticed just this morning that someone has dumped quite a load of tree limbs at the end (dead-end) of Roxboro Ave.

flintysooner
04-17-2010, 10:46 AM
flintysooner...In this instance, there's no possible way anyone can drive a vehicle onto this property. However, I noticed just this morning that someone has dumped quite a load of tree limbs at the end (dead-end) of Roxboro Ave.The City can and will fine the property owners if the debris is not removed even if the debris is entirely on City right of way.

possumfritter
04-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Okay...just sent an e-mail to the PCSD Supt., Dir. of Operations, School Board Pres, Mayor, and Ward 8 Councilman.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll keep ya posted.

possumfritter
04-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Just rec'd an e-mail from the District Superintendent. He wrote...

"Thank you for the notice of this matter. I am having some inquiries made. Either I or someone in our operations department will be back with you. Thanks again."

possumfritter
04-19-2010, 08:26 PM
I receieved another e-mail this evening. Seems the Supt. passed this issue on to the Executive Director of Operations; he passed it on to the Director of Buildings and Grounds; he passed it on to the Lead Grounds Manager who is scheduled to inspect the property on Tuesday morning.

MikeOKC
04-19-2010, 09:23 PM
I receieved another e-mail this evening. Seems the Supt. passed this issue on to the Executive Director of Operations; he passed it on to the Director of Buildings and Grounds; he passed it on to the Lead Grounds Manager who is scheduled to inspect the property on Tuesday morning.

Good work! We'll see. Maybe you've at least spawned a new reality series:

SCHOOL BOARD
Real people. Real Problems. Real action.

(In all seriousness, good job!)

possumfritter
04-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Just rec'd this e-mail...

"I have investigated your concerns about the garbage dump off Council and Hefner and the problem is being corrected. We value your patronage and you friendship in this matter and the you should see results soon. Please contact me with any other concerns or questions I can answer for you."

Tim Wall
Director of Building & Grounds
405-495-6182 ext. #1428

I have to say, PCSB has been very responsive. Thank you for the suggestion rcjunkie.

mugofbeer
04-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Very responsive, but what does that mean? They are backing off the dump issue?

Larry OKC
04-21-2010, 12:39 AM

Although the thread title and the lead post might make it sound like the PCSB was using tax dollars and trying to get a dump built, if I have read the read correctly, it looks like it was an "accidental" dumping ground that happened to be on district property.

rcjunkie
04-21-2010, 03:48 AM
Although the thread title and the lead post might make it sound like the PCSB was using tax dollars and trying to get a dump built, if I have read the read correctly, it looks like it was an "accidental" dumping ground that happened to be on district property.

I think your correct Larry, it sounds like a few lazy employees that decided to dump here instead of driving to the landfill on S. Council road, or maybe they were instructed to do so to save dump fees.

okclee
04-21-2010, 09:24 AM
What type of materials are being dumped here?

Also there could be some legal action that could be taken. It doesn't seem like the city should be able to just start dumping trash onto a piece of property that is owned by the city.

Do you have any pictures of this area with the trash?

Midtowner
04-21-2010, 09:35 AM

Also there could be some legal action that could be taken. It doesn't seem like the city should be able to just start dumping trash onto a piece of property that is owned by the city.

Truth.

Dumps are heavily regulated by the EPA.

possumfritter
04-21-2010, 12:24 PM

okclee...go to the very first message in this thread.

okclee
04-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Truth.

Dumps are heavily regulated by the EPA.

That is what I was thinking. We could be talking about some serious violations especially with this being next to a residential neighborhood area.

okclee
04-21-2010, 12:39 PM
okclee...go to the very first message in this thread.

Wasn't able to view the pics from phone I was online with. I have seen them now.

I think I could use those picnic tables.

possumfritter
04-21-2010, 12:45 PM

mugofbeer...I take the last e-mail I rec'd to mean that there will be someone out to clean up the property and haul off all the trash. I will be watching the area to see what they do indeed get done.

possumfritter
04-21-2010, 12:49 PM

Larry OKC...Is that anything like "plauseable deniability?"

Larry OKC
04-22-2010, 12:15 AM
something like that...LOL

As suggested definitely follow up on it...your post where they said "Seems the Supt. passed this issue on to the Executive Director of Operations; he passed it on to the Director of Buildings and Grounds; he passed it on to the Lead Grounds Manager..." could definitely end up being a passing the buck and in the end no one ends up doing any thing...but hopefully, they were just correctly following the chain of command (and it was passed to the appropriate person and it gets resolved).