View Full Version : Skyline Battle: OKC vs. Tulsa vs. Little Rock

Pages : [1] 2 3

G.Walker
04-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Which of these cities skylines do you think is best? All three have their own qualities, but which one stands out? Given the population size, Little Rock has a great skyline that might slide under some people's radar.

Tulsa

http://www.okctalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=451&stc=1&d=1271423692

OKC

http://www.okctalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=452&stc=1&d=1271424122

Little Rock

http://www.okctalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=453&stc=1&d=1271424410

Kerry
04-16-2010, 07:59 AM
I think OKC still has the best but I was in a bookstore the other day and they had a coffee table book of Skylines of America. Little Rock was in it but OKC and Tulsa were not.

BTW - I think the Sandridge building would have looked a lot better if the big windows were at the bottom and small windows at the top.

Rover
04-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Little Rock isn't nearly as nice as OKC and Tulsa. It is more competitive with Wichita. Nice little town, but not a city. Heck, Midland, Texas has a better skyline than LR.

Kerry
04-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Little Rock isn't nearly as nice as OKC and Tulsa. It is more competitive with Wichita. Nice little town, but not a city. Heck, Midland, Texas has a better skyline than LR.

I had no idea Midland had a downtown like that. Wow.

http://www.redwingaerials.com/images/740_740_MKT_MIDLAND_IMG_1839.jpg

G.Walker
04-16-2010, 09:39 AM

Little Rock's population is only 189,515, this skyline is very impressive for a city that size.

Platemaker
04-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Enter ronronnie. ;) j/k

khook
04-16-2010, 11:37 AM
ask the same question in a couple of years..... say 2013

BG918
04-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Tulsa has the advantage of having the condo/apartment towers just south of the downtown CBD that add to the overall skyline. So it looks a lot bigger if you are looking at it from that angle but not nearly as impressive if you are viewing it from the north. I'd say after Devon is complete OKC will have the more impressive skyline from afar. Tulsa will need a new tower to pass OKC at that point.

ourulz2000
04-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Birmingham is nice:

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles23840.jpg

Grant
04-16-2010, 01:15 PM
The angle of that picture makes OKC's skyline look like it's more than like 3 blocks deep. Impressive, though.

Little Rock's population is only 189,515, this skyline is very impressive for a city that size.

Yes but their metro area population is close to 700,000....I'm surprised by Midland's skyline, too. I never knew that metro had over 250,000 residents.

shane453
04-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Tulsa is pretty great:

Flickr user Fiveholer
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1385/1362728482_9569486b2f_o.jpg

Little Rock is ok:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3266/2804248539_80fbcf15d5_o.jpg

I think you could make an argument for Tulsa or OKC being the best, but I think they are both better than Little Rock. Little Rock is a nice skyline though.

Architect2010
04-16-2010, 04:01 PM
I also find Little Rock's skyline incredibly impressive for it's size.

I am torn between OKC and Tulsa. I think they're both beautiful in their own regards. Tulsa seems more outdated and less dense, but it's towers are the tallest and the most beautiful. OKC's is much more eclectic and modern, not to mention dense, but is also short and boxy.

RockChalk
04-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Kerry,
As for the windows on the Kerr-McGee/Sandridge tower,....when I was in architecture school at OU in the 70's, I learned that the arrangement and sizing of those windows was no mistake. Here's the deal: If you are on the street level, and look up at other towers, it appears that they get smaller as they go up, which is typical perspective. The Sandridge building with windows getting larger, the higher they are on the building, gives an optical illusion of just the opposite. Check it out in person, and I think you'll see what I mean.

dmoor82
04-16-2010, 04:43 PM

^^^ Ahhh NO! Wichita has a small skyline and thier tallest is under 375',and Little Rock, on The other hand is Damn nice for The population it boast,Little Rocks tallest is taller than OKC's(for now) until Devon is done,I am in Wichita once a week and OKC's NW Exp skyline compares to dt WHC!

z28james
04-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Midland is oil money, when I worked for Toys R Us, it was interesting because the 1 TRU they had there would be like one of the biggest in sales and volume when oil money is rolling in, but when its down, that place would be like a ghost town.

I may sound like a yardbird but I like the OKC one better because it look more modern. Tulsa has a nice downtown though but to me its really boring. Little rock is indeed impressive for its size.

architect5311
04-16-2010, 11:07 PM

I am torn between OKC and Tulsa. I think they're both beautiful in their own regards. Tulsa seems more outdated and less dense, but it's towers are the tallest and the most beautiful. OKC's is much more eclectic and modern, not to mention dense, but is also short and boxy.

What exactly is more outdated about Tulsa's skyline relative to OKC, and what is more modern and eclectic about OKC's skyline?

ljbab728
04-16-2010, 11:22 PM
What exactly is more outdated about Tulsa's skyline relative to OKC, and what is more modern and eclectic about OKC's skyline?

I don't have any problem with the design of buildings in either skyline. They are what they are and were designed based on the budgets, trends, and needs of the developers at the time they were built. Neither city will ever have the historic skyline buildings of New York or Chicago or the newer trends such as Dubai or Shanghai. Traditional is what works in Oklahoma like it or not.

edcrunk
04-17-2010, 01:17 AM
tulsa's buildings are a tad more artsy and interesting than okc, but i have always felt our downtowns were very similar. i've dj-ed in little rock countless times and was never impressed or thought their skyline compared to okc or tulsa.

Wishbone
04-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Amarillo is also not bad for it's size.

http://www.amarillo-cvb.org/Gallery/skyline_01.jpg

Rover
04-17-2010, 12:51 PM
There are two issues....which has the most appealing PICTURE of a skyline, or which has the better skyline. If you actually go to LR, it is not all that impressive. Amarillo? Please....

Tulsa's is enhanced because the downtown sits on a hiltop and therefore sites up higher from the river. OKC starts at a low spot.

architect5311
04-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Neither city will ever have the historic skyline buildings of New York or Chicago or the newer trends such as Dubai or Shanghai. Traditional is what works in Oklahoma like it or not.

Relative for it's size Oklahoma City has had a historic skyline with the First National Tower, Ramsey Tower(City Place), Biltmore(razed), Petroleum Building(razed) and others, which between 1931 and the early 1970's was one of the more impressive skylines west of the Mississippi.

I would definitely put the Devon Tower in the newer trend category.

BG918
04-17-2010, 08:07 PM
There are two issues....which has the most appealing PICTURE of a skyline, or which has the better skyline. If you actually go to LR, it is not all that impressive. Amarillo? Please....

Tulsa's is enhanced because the downtown sits on a hiltop and therefore sites up higher from the river. OKC starts at a low spot.

That is very true, which is why you often see the Tulsa skyline photographed from the river so it appears much taller because it sits a good hundred feet higher than the river itself. Go from Riverside into downtown on Denver Ave. and you see how much higher it is than the valley below.

okcpulse
04-17-2010, 08:13 PM

The modern/eclectic boost to Oklahoma City's skyline lies in Leaderhsip Square, it has shape and form. Oklahoma Tower isn't eclectic per se, but having to angled sides on the NW and SE corners of the tower makes a difference.

First National and City Place have a lot of shape and form. That leaves Chase Tower and Sandridge Tower in the boring category with its minimalist international style.

In Tulsa, four of the five tallest towers are essentially boxes. Mid-Continent Tower, however, is awesome, to say the least. One of my favorite buildings, and it is a classic Tulsa icon.

Spartan
04-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Little Rock is actually a remarkably nice little city, and it deserves some credit in my opinion. They've had a decent amount of mid-rise infill as well, on the eastern edge of the skyline. They also have historic streetcars that link the River Market area with North Little Rock's downtown area..and the River Market is one of my favorite urban areas in the south.

http://downtownontherange.blogspot.com/search/label/Little%20Rock
I've written a handful of posts on Little Rock here..

ljbab728
04-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Relative for it's size Oklahoma City has had a historic skyline with the First National Tower, Ramsey Tower(City Place), Biltmore(razed), Petroleum Building(razed) and others, which between 1931 and the early 1970's was one of the more impressive skylines west of the Mississippi.

I would definitely put the Devon Tower in the newer trend category.

The older OKC highrises were typical of what was being built at the time they were constructed and were, indeed, impressive for a city of our size at that time. The Devon Tower will be equally impressive but won't be as "out there" as some of the high rises being built in some foreign cities. Many of those seem to be being constructed strictly to say "look at me" rather than following form and function.

flintysooner
04-18-2010, 05:42 AM
Little Rock is actually a remarkably nice little cityExcept for all the concertina wire of course. And if you have a business there you find out the reason for the concertina wire pretty quickly.

G.Walker
04-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Might I add that Little Rock was the last of these three cities to construct a skyscraper (Metropolitan Tower) in 1986.

possumfritter
04-18-2010, 11:56 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GovernorsHillskyline.jpg

OUGrad05
04-18-2010, 04:38 PM
The only reason little rock looks even remotely close is because there's no real scale in those pictures.

Little rock has only a few buildings in excess of 100 meters (330ft) and their size drops fairly rapidly at that. Little Rock downtown was surprisingly nice when I was there about 18 months ago. I came away very impressed. The rest of the town I saw was very bad. As downtowns go for hanging out as a young person, I would say OKC>Little Rock > Tulsa.

Keep in mind I work in downtown tulsa...for working I would say OKC > Tulsa > Little Rock. The traffic in downtown little rock was unbelievably bad for the four days I was there. Furthermore i would add in another five years I fully expect Tulsa to pass little rock as a great place to hang out. Joints like McNellies and the addition of a very nice ball parka nd other places to eat will continue to add to the nightlife in downtown tulsa. Additionally Little Rock has NOTHING like midtown in Tulsa which is very cool and very nice area to hang out.

OUGrad05
04-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Found these, probably should have posted them first...
Oklahoma City
Diagrams - SkyscraperPage.com (http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?)

Tulsa

Little Rock

edit: Ok, well none of those links worked, but do a search for the three cities in question and you will see what I am talking about with regard to building height.

OUGrad05
04-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Gotta look at the entire metro area, in which case little rock is about 750k

OKC is definately more modern, and the pictures posted of Tulsa thus far are every unimpressive, hell you can't even see the buildings where I work in the pics.

^^^ Ahhh NO! Wichita has a small skyline and thier tallest is under 375',and Little Rock, on The other hand is Damn nice for The population it boast,Little Rocks tallest is taller than OKC's(for now) until Devon is done,I am in Wichita once a week and OKC's NW Exp skyline compares to dt WHC!I agree wichita has a fairly small skyline for a metro area of their size. I have spent a lot of time in the wichita area and am very underwhelmed with that town.

Little Rock is actually a remarkably nice little city, and it deserves some credit in my opinion. They've had a decent amount of mid-rise infill as well, on the eastern edge of the skyline. They also have historic streetcars that link the River Market area with North Little Rock's downtown area..and the River Market is one of my favorite urban areas in the south.

A Downtown ontheRange: Little Rock (http://downtownontherange.blogspot.com/search/label/Little%20Rock)
I've written a handful of posts on Little Rock here..

You are exactly right, there were two or three buildings all midrise under construction when I was there in sept/oct of 08. I was very impressed with the development going on in the downtown area. The river market is fantastic, we stayed at the peabody for four nights and it was nice and we loved the downtown area. Both came away impressed with downtown but the city overall was not as good as OKC or Tulsa IMO.

Spartan
04-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Yeah, admittedly, 90% of Little Rock looks like North Tulsa -- save for some nice suburban areas far-west and some nice inner areas just west of downtown.

Last summer I was coming back in from a trip I take every summer to the Blue Ridge Mountains and I stopped in Little Rock to do the Clinton Library. I had lunch in the upscale restaurant on the patio that slopes down overlooking the rusty old rail crossing over the Arkansas River in front of the library and it was really an immersion experience in a place that was a lot more sophisticated than I expected. Got bit by the bug and decided to check out the area before I left.

A lot has been said by myself and others in the past leading up to our streetcar initiative about Little Rock's streetcars--how cost-effective they were, how they've led to investment, and how they greatly exceeded expectations--anything Little Rock can do, hopefully OKC can do better.

chuckdiesel
04-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Skyline--tulsa
potential--OKC
Little Rock--Come on, been a dozen times. I could take a strategic picture of Duncan, Ok and it would look impressive. Little Rock is not competing with us, they are competing with the other metro within their own backwater state, Fayetteville. 460k vs 700k but being outpaced. Within a decade Arkiesaws biggest concentration of population will reside within 45 minutes of Oklahoma and I don't blame them.

G.Walker
04-19-2010, 09:10 AM
Little Rock is our competitor:

http://www.okctalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=454&stc=1&d=1271689750

Kerry
04-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Might I add that Little Rock was the last of these three cities to construct a skyscraper (Metropolitan Tower) in 1986.

Oklahoma City constructed several skyscrapers (Oklahoma Tower, Mid-America Tower, Leadership Sq, Corporate Tower) that completed just before Metropolitian Tower and downtown OKC has seen 2 new mid-rises since (IRS and Renaissance Hotel). I won't mention Devon Tower that is under construction now.

Spartan
04-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Oklahoma City constructed several skyscrapers (Oklahoma Tower, Mid-America Tower, Leadership Sq, Corporate Tower) that completed just before Metropolitian Tower and downtown OKC has seen 2 new mid-rises since (IRS and Renaissance Hotel). I won't mention Devon Tower that is under construction now.

Yeah the OKC skyline has changed so much in the recent past, with the IRS and Renaissance Hotel.

G.Walker
04-19-2010, 11:57 AM

Little Rock has also seen its fair share of mid-rise development, 300 Third Tower (2007) and First Security Center (2004).

Kerry
04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah the OKC skyline has changed so much in the recent past, with the IRS and Renaissance Hotel.

Just stating the fact.

In all honesty, discussing which downtown is the best between OKC, Tulsa, and Little Rock is like MSNBC and CNN arguing who has the most viewers.

You know, on second thought, I take offense to your comment - especially in light of the recent decision to tear down a couple of buildings. The IRS building added to the Robinson Street Wall and the Renassiance took up a surface parking lot. They DID change the urban fabric of downtown OKC.

Spartan
04-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Kerry, lighten up. I didn't realize until now that anyone could argue that the OKC skyline has evolved much since the 70s..

Kerry
04-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Little Rock has also seen its fair share of mid-rise development, 300 Third Tower (2007) and First Security Center (2004).

So there you have it - Little Rock runs about 3-5 years behind OKC in development.

Kerry
04-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Kerry, lighten up. I didn't realize until now that anyone could argue that the OKC skyline has evolved much since the 70s..

You're right - hince my CNN and MSNBC comment. While OKC has added some nice in-fill mid-rises, there is nothing to write home about.

G.Walker
04-19-2010, 12:10 PM
I am not debating on who has more development projects going on, the purpose of this thread was to see who has best skyline at this point in time, not 5 years from now. I just believe people should give more credit to Little Rock's central business district. I live in Norman, and work in OKC, and have no ties to Little Rock whatsoever, but I give credit, when credit is due.

Kerry
04-19-2010, 02:03 PM
I am not debating on who has more development projects going on, the purpose of this thread was to see who has best skyline at this point in time, not 5 years from now. I just believe people should give more credit to Little Rock's central business district. I live in Norman, and work in OKC, and have no ties to Little Rock whatsoever, but I give credit, when credit is due.

G.Walker - there is no doubt that Little Rock has a nice size downtown, especially for a city their size. I don't think anyone is debating that - but when the title of the thread is Skyline Battle: OKC vs. Tulsa vs. Little Rock then expect a few swings to be taken. On OKCTalk those are fighting words.:elmer3:

An interesting topic might be - Overachieving cities and lackluster cities

Lackluster: Albuquerque, NM and Sacramento, CA. Large cities and small downtowns

Albuquerque, NM
http://muertoderisa.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/06/800pxel_paso_skyline2.jpg

Sacramento, CA
http://webcambiglook.com/california/18.jpg

Over-achievers: Des Moines, IA and Greenville, SC Small cities and nice downtowns

Des Moines, IA
http://www.knowledgerush.com/wiki_image/d/db/Des_Moines_skyline_dusk.jpg

Greenville, SC
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07/05/0524_afflusub_south/image/8-greer-greenville-sc.jpg

BG918
04-19-2010, 02:17 PM
The River Market is a vibrant area of Little Rock in between the CBD and the Clinton Presidential Library. I was there just a few months ago and was impressed. It may be more of a concentrated nightlife district than what currently exists in OKC or Tulsa. It also might be the only nightlife district in LR while OKC/Tulsa have several others outside of downtown, not sure.

Kerry
04-19-2010, 02:30 PM
The River Market is a vibrant area of Little Rock in between the CBD and the Clinton Presidential Library. I was there just a few months ago and was impressed. It may be more of a concentrated nightlife district than what currently exists in OKC or Tulsa. It also might be the only nightlife district in LR while OKC/Tulsa have several others outside of downtown, not sure.

Lt. Dan speaking to Forrest Gump and Bubba

So, you boys from Arkansas?
Well, I been through there.

Little Rock's a fine town.

That's all I gotta say about that.

dmoor82
04-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Little Rock is our competitor:

http://www.okctalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=454&stc=1&d=1271689750

^^ great pic! some people do not realize Little Rock's tallest is taller than OKC's! for now!

metro
04-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Greenville-Spartanburg S.C. isn't much of a downtown, and is more dead than Tulsa's. I used to live a few minutes outside of that area. As someone else said when comparing another downtown, there is nothing of scale, so it looks impressive. One could do the same of any smaller sized city.

Or how about Madison, WI (not tall but dense)
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/3456/msdi.jpg

Bellevue, WA (a suburb of Seattle, about the size of Norman)
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm193/PeopleCore/ForbesPicturestolenfromme.jpg

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/washingtonstate/images/d/d0/Ajmstudiosdowntownbellevueskyline2010.jpg

Midland, TX
http://www.tallcityelectric.us/images/midland_tx_v2.jpg

Fort Wayne, IN
http://www.visitfortwayne.com/images/gallery/CB_Color_Small2.jpg

Sioux City, IA
http://www.paulkirwan.com/images/Page/skyline.jpg

Sunny Isles, FL (population, 15,000+)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3054/2948171392_df07d2b5ff_o.jpg

Richard at Remax
04-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Id add mobile to the over-achievers:

mobile
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/Mobile_Skyline_2.jpg

G.Walker
04-19-2010, 03:24 PM
I am very impressed with Bellevue, WA skyline, for it not to be a large city, and suburb at that, this very impressive.

OUGrad05
04-19-2010, 07:57 PM
I am very impressed with Bellevue, WA skyline, for it not to be a large city, and suburb at that, this very impressive.

When you look at it in totality its not suprrising. They're right across the lake from downtown Seattle.

Rover
04-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Most of the Bellvue projects are for Microsoft. I know because our company was involved in almost all of them. The highrise condo's are really upscale and occupied part time by top MS executives (they stay some nights they work late). If you guys think OKC downtown residences are expensive, you have no clue. When you all will pay what is paid there, then we can have a skyline like that too.

Spartan
04-19-2010, 09:56 PM
I am surprised that nobody mentioned that the photo of Albuquerque on the last page was actually El Paso.

Gotta love Sioux City. One of my favorite places. Also home of Gateway computers, and many other things. That is just such a cool little town, and the topography is absolutely ideal for an urban setting..steep hills, Missouri River, dense forests, awesome Art Deco architecture. Kind of like a northern small town version of Tulsa.

ljbab728
04-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Greenville-Spartanburg S.C. isn't much of a downtown, and is more dead than Tulsa's. I used to live a few minutes outside of that area. As someone else said when comparing another downtown, there is nothing of scale, so it looks impressive. One could do the same of any smaller sized city.

Or how about Madison, WI (not tall but dense)
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/3456/msdi.jpg

Bellevue, WA (a suburb of Seattle, about the size of Norman)
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm193/PeopleCore/ForbesPicturestolenfromme.jpg

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/washingtonstate/images/d/d0/Ajmstudiosdowntownbellevueskyline2010.jpg

Midland, TX
http://www.tallcityelectric.us/images/midland_tx_v2.jpg

Fort Wayne, IN
http://www.visitfortwayne.com/images/gallery/CB_Color_Small2.jpg

Sioux City, IA

Sunny Isles, FL (population, 15,000+)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3054/2948171392_df07d2b5ff_o.jpg

A lot of what you're seeing for Madison is due to the the University of Wisconsin and the state capitol being in the downtown area.

OKCisOK4me
04-19-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm not gonna try to discover this by viewing it on my cell phone but is this really gonna matter once the Devon Tower is completed? Sorry Tulsa, you're outta the mix come end of 2012, unless, of course, Thunder is correct in his assumptions and we (humanity) cease to exist due to the end of the world, lol.

HOT ROD
04-20-2010, 02:48 AM
yep, Bellevue really sprouted up in the last 5 years and it is solely due to Microsoft. I think Bellevue is a little bit smaller than Norman, though - depends upon where you draw the line. Bellevue is definitely the anchor city of the 'Seattle Eastside', which is home to MOST of Seattle's best known companies.

dt Bellevue isn't directly across the lake from dt Seattle. In fact, there is a ridge in the middle of the city of Seattle and residential that separate dt Seattle from the Lake and dt Bellevue. Also, at the foot of dt Bellevue on the lake is Medina, home to many of the richest people in the United States - including Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer, and the club.

so, keep in mind, dt Bellevue (like dt Seattle) sits on a hill so it looks a bit more impressive than reality. That's not to say it isn't good - heck, it is better than Tacoma - Washington's 2nd largest city; but let's not get too carried away in Bellevue isn't a competitor for OKC.

That said, it is a very nice suburban skyline, Clayton Missouri is another one (and older than Bellevue). I look forward to the day when Norman and/or Edmond/MWC can add some highrises above 20-storeys.

Kerry
04-20-2010, 06:08 AM
Buckhead in Atlanta

http://www.atlantacityhomes.com/properties/hot_new_properties/twelve%201916%20resale/13

metro
04-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Regardless, there are smaller suburbs with better skylines than OKC, Little Rock and Tulsa. Bellevue still has a much broader and diverse skyline than OKC, as does Buckhead, ATL (lived outside of there for a year), and Sunny Isles, FL (population 15,000). Out of the 3 sure OKC has the most impressive and definitely will after Devon is completed.

Kerry
04-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Regardless, there are smaller suburbs with better skylines than OKC, Little Rock and Tulsa...

... put together.

BFizzy
04-20-2010, 12:50 PM
I just hope Devon isn't acquired by a major before the tower has been completed.

G.Walker
04-20-2010, 01:12 PM
I just hope Devon isn't acquired by a major before the tower has been completed.

Acquired by a major? Yea right, Devon is a major, lol...they are the largest natural gas producer in the world!