View Full Version : Bethany Drilling

Bigrayok
04-15-2010, 03:24 PM
At N.W. 28th and Rockwell in Bethany there was recent drilling activity for either a gas or oil well. The drilling is completed. Does anyone know if they hit anything? This is the site a worker was killed at.

Bigray in Ok

adaniel
04-16-2010, 11:13 PM
I just did a quick search through an OCC database (sorry can't post any docs or images, site is seriously copyrighted), it looks like Baron Exploration out of Edmond just completed a saltwater disposal well (Carlson #1-20), so it didn't "hit" anything per say. It does like like they recently filed a permit to drill an actual well in that same section. Judging by its name (Carlson #2-20H), it sounds like it will be a horizontal gas well, and a deep one at that.

I don't remember hearing about anyone being killed on a drilling rig around here in OKC.

Bigrayok
04-17-2010, 11:19 PM
This sounds like the well I mentioned. Baron drilled the well I mentioned and the land is owned by the Carlson family. A worker was killed there somewhere around December or January only a couple of weeks after they started drilling. The story was reported in the local papers. They drilled another well a few years ago at N.W. 50th and Rockwell by Wiley Post Airport.

Bigray in Ok

flintysooner
04-18-2010, 05:35 AM
I think it may be this story:

Published: January 2, 2010
Worker dies in Bethany oil rig accident
From Staff Reports
BETHANY — A Cleveland County man was killed Friday morning in an oil rig site accident.

A pipe fell through the roof of a mobile home at the site, killing a worker inside, said Bethany police Lt. Jack Jencks . It happened about 8:30 a.m. near NW 27 and N Rockwell Ave.

Donnie Vickery Jr. , 35, of Noble, who was sitting on a chair inside the trailer, was killed instantly, Jencks said. No one else was in...

Read more: NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com/article/3429223?searched=accident%20oil%20rig&custom_click=search#ixzz0lS0OQG2e)

ultimatesooner
04-18-2010, 08:55 PM
we could see that rig from our backyard, the guy died right before the christmas snowstorm

soonerfan_in_okc
04-19-2010, 12:59 AM
This sounds like the well I mentioned. Baron drilled the well I mentioned and the land is owned by the Carlson family. A worker was killed there somewhere around December or January only a couple of weeks after they started drilling. The story was reported in the local papers. They drilled another well a few years ago at N.W. 50th and Rockwell by Wiley Post Airport.

Bigray in Ok

did they find anything at the nw50th and rockwell drill? i noticed that, and chuckled at how they still pop up around the city

chuckdiesel
04-19-2010, 06:01 AM
It is a common practice to drill a disposal well first when leasing a new field. when drilling a disposal well you are allowed the convenience of observing a complete view of the subsurface as the disposal is likely drilled all the way to the arbuckle. The formation likely above the granite (bedrock). Thus giving indication during the drilling process of probable shows of hydrocarbons in various formations along the way. The prospectors likely had a target formation prior to drilling the disposal and the disposal well only helps to confirm their prognosis as well as providing a proper way to dispose of the naturally occurring salt water that must be displaced when producing "wet" reservoirs.