View Full Version : apparel: your fave brands of yesterday

decepticobra
04-15-2010, 01:47 PM
what brand of clothes did you like thats no longer on store shelves that much, or at all?

i have a few:

no fear
cross colours
genera hyper colors
levis silver tab jeans (early 90s style)
british knights sneakers
yaga
mossimo
rude dog
big johnson shirts
starter sports team jackets
marithe francois girbaud

skyrick
04-15-2010, 05:27 PM
h.i.s. jackets

bluedogok
04-15-2010, 08:55 PM
I remember the Silver Tab jeans back before they had anything other than a silver instead of a red tab. Had a few of those along with the Girbaud jeans.

A little bit further back was Sedgefield jeans.

dmoor82
04-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Dr. Martens and JNCO jeans and Tommy hilfigger and Mossimo!

ronronnie1
04-22-2010, 08:53 PM
what brand of clothes did you like thats no longer on store shelves that much, or at all?

i have a few:

no fear
cross colours
genera hyper colors
levis silver tab jeans (early 90s style)
british knights sneakers
yaga
mossimo
rude dog
big johnson shirts
starter sports team jackets
marithe francois girbaud

Child of the 80's like moi? For me, it was Guess Jeans and Swatches. Oh the memories.

decepticobra
04-23-2010, 07:09 AM
my high school was a total fashion show. ...i forgot to mention these spanish-inspired ponchos that peeps used to wear, they were kinda cool i guess. i never owned one, ..the thought of wearing a burlap sack used for potatoes never quite appealed to me.

then there was the constant yaga vs. mossimo battles, some kids took up with yaga, others mossimo. i still see mossimo, but its at target now (or pronounced in french as tar-jay if youre really stylish)

the silliest fashion trend of the 90s, hands down, had to be those braided leather belts that kids wore on their waist and they let the end of the belt dangle...almost looked rather crudely phallic. -lmao

skyrick
04-23-2010, 04:15 PM
I would like to know who the marketing genius or scumbag was that figured out that people would pay money to a company to advertise for them. It started way before Aeropostale, Hilfiger, Abercrombie & Fitch, etc.

What a deal for these companies! Charge money for someone to be a voluntary billboard!

decepticobra
04-24-2010, 09:14 AM
I would like to know who the marketing genius or scumbag was that figured out that people would pay money to a company to advertise for them. It started way before Aeropostale, Hilfiger, Abercrombie & Fitch, etc.

What a deal for these companies! Charge money for someone to be a voluntary billboard!

I think the real answer to your question lies in social classification which can be dated way back to times/places like medieval england, feudal japan, chinese dynasties, etc.

your rant doesnt just stop at apparel. why do people pay thousands of dollars more for a more expensive automobile when a car that costs so much less will more than suffice their transportation needs?

whats with all the conservative soccer moms who chat endlessly on their cell phones while driving their lexus suvs, without a single caking of mud on them, just to pick their kiddos up from the game?? dont these silly moms realize they can save lots more money by buying the much less expensive dodge caravan to haul their kids around in and put their savings away in either their own retirement fund and/or college savings fund for their kids?

the same people that flaunt their bmw, mercedes, porsche, etc logos on their cars so arrogantly while on the road are the same people that flaunt their tag hauer, rolex, bulova watches while wearing their ping golf caps to accent their ralph lauren, prada, armani, etc wardrobes.

the cool concept of "im better than you cause im more stylish and/or have more money" is a style concept that will never fade, and to rub it down in someone's face with a large cool branded logo across your threads makes it that much more hip.

skyrick
04-24-2010, 11:21 AM
I think the real answer to your question lies in social classification which can be dated way back to times/places like medieval england, feudal japan, chinese dynasties, etc.

your rant doesnt just stop at apparel. why do people pay thousands of dollars more for a more expensive automobile when a car that costs so much less will more than suffice their transportation needs?

whats with all the conservative soccer moms who chat endlessly on their cell phones while driving their lexus suvs, without a single caking of mud on them, just to pick their kiddos up from the game?? dont these silly moms realize they can save lots more money by buying the much less expensive dodge caravan to haul their kids around in and put their savings away in either their own retirement fund and/or college savings fund for their kids?

the same people that flaunt their bmw, mercedes, porsche, etc logos on their cars so arrogantly while on the road are the same people that flaunt their tag hauer, rolex, bulova watches while wearing their ping golf caps to accent their ralph lauren, prada, armani, etc wardrobes.

the cool concept of "im better than you cause im more stylish and/or have more money" is a style concept that will never fade, and to rub it down in someone's face with a large cool branded logo across your threads makes it that much more hip.

All true, and I understand the status symbol aspect, but a BMW logo on the trunk, or an IZOD 'gator on the breast is still several orders of magnitude less than a t-shirt (a T-SHIRT for God's sake) with "Aeropostale" in 6 inch letters across the chest.

In my first two instances, the logo identifies the status object. In the latter example the logo IS the status object. What a scam.

gen70
04-24-2010, 11:33 AM
I personally don't like to advertise anything that doesn't aid my cause or finances. I don't even like the logos on my Carharts. I do wear OU and OSU gear. (yes, I like both schools)

RealJimbo
04-24-2010, 03:35 PM
I personally don't like to advertise anything that doesn't aid my cause or finances. I don't even like the logos on my Carharts. I do wear OU and OSU gear. (yes, I like both schools)

Remember when anything with a company logo was given away as advertising?

gen70
04-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Remember when anything with a company logo was given away as advertising? Oh yeah! There's still alot of that stuff around but it's mostly junk.

mireaux
04-25-2010, 03:24 PM
All true, and I understand the status symbol aspect, but a BMW logo on the trunk, or an IZOD 'gator on the breast is still several orders of magnitude less than a t-shirt (a T-SHIRT for God's sake) with "Aeropostale" in 6 inch letters across the chest.

In my first two instances, the logo identifies the status object. In the latter example the logo IS the status object. What a scam.

youre disregarding the fact that most of the age demographics that wear aeropostale arent able yet to afford a BMW, and too young to sport IZOD.

bluedogok
04-25-2010, 04:03 PM
..and the fact that Izod and the gator (LaCoste) separated 17 years ago and are two completely separate entities. LaCoste does market quite a bit to the younger demographic now, most of what I see in a LaCoste store are people half my age.

Izod is part of the conglomerate Phillips-Van Heusen Corporation which has Calvin Klein, Van Heusen, Izod, Arrow, Bass as their brands and licenses brands such as Geoffrey Beene, BCBG Max Azria, Chaps, Sean John, Kenneth Cole New York, JOE Joseph Abboud and MICHAEL Michael Kors. In March PVH March 2010, Phillips-Van Heusen acquired the Tommy Hilfiger brand for $3 Billion.