View Full Version : Best movie theatre in the okc metro?

kwash
04-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Ive been now to just about all the movie theatres in the metro area, and im finally able to say for sure which one is the best overall, and even the worst theatre. #1 Warren in moore wins this by a long long shot, very nice and unique and not a lot of teeny booper rift raft. 2 balcony auditoriums with a bar and restaurant, wow it dosent get any better.
#2 Bricktown harkins- very nice place, good customer service, and the cine capri offers largest screen. After your movie plenty to do before or after and also not a lot of rift raft mostly because not to many under 21 yr olds go downtown.
The worse thatre without a doubt have to be the amc crossroads. its trashy, not well kept up and you might as well put a sign on your car window that says "take me". Also AMC quail use to be at the top of this list some yrs ago, but now amc quail has got the hoodlums, and despite them having an imax, the place has just gone downhill. What do my fellow okies think?

Easy180
04-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Can't argue with any points in your post....not sure how the crossroads theater has made it this long...10 or so vehicles in the lot on the weekends

MikeOKC
04-14-2010, 07:52 PM
The only thing I differ with you on is the Quail Springs AMC. I keep reading here that it's gone downhill, but I have zero problems there and haven't noticed any hoodlums or anything. No, it's not a brand new theater, it's not The Warren or Harkins, but for a mall theater, it seems still very nice to me. What am I missing?

cindy
04-15-2010, 11:29 AM
The main problem with Quail Springs is the parking. If i want to just see a move, I don't want to have to walk all through the mall just to get to the theater. I like the prices at Tinseltown. Haven't had any problems with rift raft there, but I don't usually go to the movies on Friday or Saturday night.

hipsterdoofus
04-15-2010, 01:34 PM
AMC Quail doesn't have what I'd call hoodlums (not sure what your definition is). I'd more say it has a lot of little twerps...actually to be truthful, I've never had a problem there, I just don't like how crowded it is, the parking situation, and the way they make you go through the little like maze thing like rats.

MikeOKC
04-15-2010, 01:37 PM
AMC Quail doesn't have what I'd call hoodlums (not sure what your definition is). I'd more say it has a lot of little twerps...actually to be truthful, I've never had a problem there, I just don't like how crowded it is, the parking situation, and the way they make you go through the little like maze thing like rats.

I don't either. I was quoting the original poster who used that term. I just don't run into any trouble at Quail AMC. It's not the greatest, but those saying it's gone so far downhill and all....I just don't see it.

hipsterdoofus
04-15-2010, 01:52 PM
No...I don't think the theater as gone downhill - I just don't think it has the best movie-watching atmosphere, since a lot of parents use the mall and movie theater as a baby sitter.

Richard at Remax
04-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Tinsletown during the day during the week. Can't beat the prices and there is never anyone there.

hipsterdoofus
04-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Tinsletown during the day during the week. Can't beat the prices and there is never anyone there.

Yeah I would agree to some extent. I did have a bad experience there recently though - Friday night that Alice in Wonderland came out, they didn't have near enough staff to handle the concessions - did get money from us cause we would have missed the movie.

Is usually pretty good to get in and out there.

EBAH
04-16-2010, 06:39 AM
If I want to go to a nice theater I go to Harkins or Quail, depending on the movie (Quail still gets movies that literally no other theater in the metro gets). But Im a tinseltown man through and through. The prices are just crazy good. As for Warren, I cant say, Ive never been, too much in Moore and too much $$.

hipsterdoofus
04-16-2010, 06:45 AM
If I want to go to a nice theater I go to Harkins or Quail, depending on the movie (Quail still gets movies that literally no other theater in the metro gets). But Im a tinseltown man through and through. The prices are just crazy good. As for Warren, I cant say, Ive never been, too much in Moore and too much $$.

I went to the Warren for a special treat once, but certainly wouldn't go there frequently - not to mention it is on the opposite side of town from me.

circled9
04-16-2010, 10:06 AM
I personally liked the old theatres downtown----criterian, harbor, midwest, centre. People even got dressed up to go. I remember seeing the movie version of Oklahoma at the Harbor. Too bad that they all were tore down for "urban progress". At least they saved the Centre which is now part of the museum of art.

G.Walker
04-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Warren is the best! Especially for big premier movies,with balcony seats, and you can order drinks, and you have your choice of eating real food, instead of just nachos and popcorn!

dismayed
04-16-2010, 02:59 PM
I'd rate Warren as #1. The audio/video experience is about as close to perfect as can be. The parking is quick, the food is good, and they have a bar. Not to mention reserved balcony seating, a baby cry room, and cell phone use is banned. What more can be said.

#2 would be quite a distance from the Warren, but still a good theater. I'd probably go with the Harkins because it is in Bricktown, has a pretty good food selection, and has the Ciene Capri.

#3 would be Tinseltown. The audio/video is good, and they often have unique showings, but cons would be the location and the available food... more your old-school movie faire. Also although I am glad that they often have a large police presence there, it gives the impression that the theater is not safe even though that may not actually be the case.

Somewhere down the list would be the AMC Theater at Quail Springs. The thing I hate about it is this: in at least two of their large theaters some of their speakers are blown. Listen carefully and you can hear crackling. Even worse, I am pretty sure I can sense increased harmonic distortion. Add to that the fact that many of their projection screens have (poorly) repaired rips and other "hot spots" on them, and I have to wonder why I paid $10 for such a sub-par experience every time I go there. As for the kids, often times I have been and had no problems, but I can think of at least one experience where a teenager decided to yell out cuss words as the lights went out in an attempt to be funny. And there is way too much texting going on in that theater... it's distracting.

Honestly I'd almost rate various dollar theaters over the AMC, because at least with those you know that you are getting what you pay for. The AMC is a technologically impaired theater trying to pass itself off as top notch. No thanks.

MrZ
04-18-2010, 10:38 AM
I go to at least one movie a week and most of the time it is at Warren, the theater that far and away gets my vote for #1 theater in the metro. The audio and video is so much better than the other theaters that there is no comparison in my mind.
The only time I go to another theater is when Warren isn't playing what I want to see (rarely, but it happens with some limited releases), or I want to go after 10pm since Warren doesn't have late showings.

#2 would have to be Harkins, but only if I go to the Cine Capri. The smaller screens there are not much better than Quail Springs or the Crossroads AMC. I saw Kick-Ass there Friday night because I went out after 10:30PM and Warren's last showing was 10PM. There was quite a few "hoodlums" around as well as a lot of teenie-boppers, but the people in the ticket stand were doing a good job of asking for ID's for any R-rated movie. I am 39 and I was asked for ID lol. There was a kid in front of me that was 17 and he had a date that didn't have her ID on her and they were denied a ticket to an R movie. Kudos on that! During the movie there were some unintended laughs when a moth kept flying right in front of the projector making it look like Mothra was attacking, but I can't blame the theater for that. Not much they could do in that situation.

#3 would have to be Quail Springs, even though I only go there when I want to see a limited release and that is maybe only 2-3 times a year. The presentation there is decent, but the limited releases and late showings make up for it. I live in Moore so I REALLY need to want to see something there to make the trek.

Theaters I avoid like the plague:
AMC Crossroads: Who the hell thought it was a good idea to put handles you have to pull on the doors? A pain in the ass to handle when you have an armful of drinks and popcorn. Screens are pretty lame for the most spots. Last time I went there a couple years ago there was a large stain of some sort on the screen that I could see the whole movie. Also, I saw The Phantom Menace there in 1999 and that ruined that theater forever for me!

Spotlight in Norman: Smells like pee in areas and Warren is only 10 minutes away. Nuff said.

rcjunkie
04-18-2010, 01:01 PM

How can you say it cost too much $$ if you've never been.

Caboose
04-18-2010, 02:14 PM
The Warren is #1 and there is no debate. Nothing else in the metro is remotely close to it's league. Any ensuing debate would be for a very distant 2nd.

Ginkasa
04-18-2010, 02:26 PM
#2 would have to be Harkins, but only if I go to the Cine Capri. The smaller screens there are not much better than Quail Springs or the Crossroads AMC.

Theaters I avoid like the plague:
AMC Crossroads: Who the hell thought it was a good idea to put handles you have to pull on the doors? A pain in the ass to handle when you have an armful of drinks and popcorn. Screens are pretty lame for the most spots. Last time I went there a couple years ago there was a large stain of some sort on the screen that I could see the whole movie. Also, I saw The Phantom Menace there in 1999 and that ruined that theater forever for me!

So, do you avoid the "not Capri" Harkins screens like the plague, or, as I assume you must be since the opposite could not possibly be true, were you possibly exaggerating a bit? I can't imagine you've had any issues at Harkins similar to "large stain on the screen" or whatnot.

Also, something I think is odd, when it first opened Harkins was widely lauded as the "nicest theatre ever" etc. like Warren is now. Now that Warren is open not only are they only the "second" nicest, but don't even rate it that much higher than the AMCs or Tinseltown. Do people think its actually done down, or have they just gotten used to it?

Personally, I prefer Harkins, Ciné Capri or not. Sure, Warren is nice and new and they've got a lot of things that other theatres don't, but I think the "base" theatre experience (seeing a movie, getting concessions, etc.) is a little less exciting and the service has never been super fantastic, IMO. As for the balcony and diner and whatever, its nice every once in a while but I don't want to empty my wallet every time I want to see a movie just so I can trade people talking behind me about random things for people talking behind me about their order.

Matt
04-18-2010, 02:28 PM
How can you say it cost too much $$ if you've never been.

Anyone can do that, if they follow these three simple steps:

1. Go here: http://www.warrentheatres.com/moore.asp

http://i42.tinypic.com/28taoox.jpg

3. Decide if that's too much $$ or not

Andrew4OU
04-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Anyone can do that, if they follow these three simple steps:

1. Go here: Warren Theatres (http://www.warrentheatres.com/moore.asp)

http://i42.tinypic.com/28taoox.jpg

3. Decide if that's too much $$ or not

Uh... that's how much it is at Quail and Harkins. Acutally, now that I come to think of it, I think I paid $9.50 the last time I was at Harkins. Even if the Warren costed $10, I think I would pay that just because the quality of everything and the experience of going there.

hipsterdoofus
04-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Tinseltown is a lot cheaper than the other locations - and experience is comparable to the other "regular" theaters.

MrZ
04-19-2010, 12:08 PM
So, do you avoid the "not Capri" Harkins screens like the plague, or, as I assume you must be since the opposite could not possibly be true, were you possibly exaggerating a bit? I can't imagine you've had any issues at Harkins similar to "large stain on the screen" or whatnot.

I don't avoid the smaller screens at Harkins, but I live in Moore and if I know I am going to have to watch a movie on the smaller screens then I will just go to Warren. The large size of the Cine Capri and the late showing are what make the trip downtown worth it for me. If I know I am going to have to watch it on one of the smaller screen there I will just wait to see it at the Warren.
The digital projection at Warren, even on the smaller screens, is so much better than any of the other film projection screens in town. No scratches, no lines, no hairs, dust, spots, etc, that you normally find on film projection showings.
I simply put Warren 1st because they are closest to me and feature the best projection/sound in the city. There is no arguing with that fact. For me the "base" theater experience is just as nice as the Harkins. The diner, the design of the lobby, the murals, they all seems more cinematic to me than Harkins lobby.
If I find myself up late wanting to see a movie after Warren has had their last show then I go to Harkins if I can see what I want in the Cine Capri. If not then I will save my $ and see it at Warren the next day. Simple as that.
I'm not saying Harkins is bad by any means, not when there is the AMC Crossroads to compare it to, but why should I settle for #2 when #1 is just down the street. Even if I lived on the North side of town I would most likely make the trek to Warren. I travel a lot and have checked out theaters all over the country and Warren sticks out as one of the best anywhere.

ourulz2000
04-19-2010, 01:15 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3612/3472057607_e373d091c2.jpg

zuluwarrior0760
04-20-2010, 12:53 AM
I would agree that Warren and Harkins are tops in the Metro.
I will go to Quail because it's close, but I'd rather drive to Bricktown
or Moore.

However:

Warren nickels and dimes you to death on things like "butter 50cents?"....
on top of a 7.00 bucket of popcorn?????

Also:

With all the money that Warren brings in, they don't take American
Express, which to me is insane! You are a high end movie theatre.
Accept whatever card a guy wants to whip out and shut up
about it!

Their ticket retrieval kiosk is also very amateur.
It's two kiosks in an enclosed little room that people
have to wait outside if someone's in there. For what they spent
on the kiosk outhouse of sorts, they could have bought 8 more portable
kiosks like all the other theatres and then people would actually
be able to pick up tickets instead of stand in line to get in the
little ticket hut.....

All things considered, I try to frequent Bricktown to support the
area that's important to me.......I'd go to Warren as well if they'd
just make some tweaks to what I think are weakening points for them....

HOT ROD
04-20-2010, 04:05 AM
drivein is the best! blasts from the past!

BigBadBen
04-20-2010, 12:13 PM
The Warren is far and away the best Theater.
It is more that just going to a movie, it is an experience.

The Harkin is nice, and probably a given for #2. I haven't been there often enough to give too many props or dislikes.

We still love Tinseltown. Granted, we like going to matinee's there because the prices are great, and not as many thugs hanging around. But even when we have gone at night, we have never had a problem (other than slow concessions).

hoya
04-20-2010, 03:03 PM
The best thing about the Warren is that they don't have commercials before their movies! If I'm paying ten bucks to see a movie, I don't want to be forced to sit through commercials.

dismayed
04-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Oh I totally forgot about that. Yeah no commercials.

Ginkasa
04-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Do any of the metro area theatres show commercials, like, within the "showtime?" I know Quail and Harkins have a "preshow" that plays up until the start time for the movie (and I know Warren doesn't), but does anyone play them after the start time? Like, the movie is supposed to start at 7:00. Instead, at 7:00 you get 5 minutes of commercials and then the trailers and then the movie rather than just trailers and movie?

Cause 1) that sucks and I would stay far away from a theatre that did that and 2) if not I don't see how not having anything before the scheduled start time of the movie does anything to hinder my experience at the movies. If I'm going to be sitting in a theatre for 15 minutes waiting on a movie than I'd probably prefer to have something to watch before showtime.