View Full Version : Old Car Interest

RealJimbo
04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Not trying to sell anything on this forum, but I am interested in the opinions. Lots of brain cells looking at any given time.

I have a 1964 Buick Electra 225, black. I have thought about restoring it to its former glory, maybe just selling it, can't make up my mind. How much interest do you think there is in old cars, not necessarily muscle cars?

skyrick
04-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Not trying to sell anything on this forum, but I am interested in the opinions. Lots of brain cells looking at any given time.

I have a 1964 Buick Electra 225, black. I have thought about restoring it to its former glory, maybe just selling it, can't make up my mind. How much interest do you think there is in old cars, not necessarily muscle cars?

Boy is this timely! I have a 1965 Pontiac LeMans 4-door. NOT a muscle car. I've had it for almost 9 years. I love it because it's mine, but not sure I could get what it's worth to me from anyone else. I paid $1995 for it on Bay and drove it from Morgantown, WV home to Arlington,TX. I haven't restored it, just kept it running; I figure I've spent close to $10k on it to date. All new brakes; new suspension and steering; shocks; gas tank; auto trans rebuild; etc.

I've come to the decision that it's a zero return situation to keep it much longer, but I've received a lot of enjoyment from it and feel I've got more than my money's worth from it. I'd be happy if I could get $5000 for it, but I'm wondering (as are you) if that's likely.

A black Deuce and a Quarter! I bet it's a sweet ride. Could you post a pic? Here's mine.

Well crap, inserting or attaching a photo is not working for me. Oh well!

stick47
04-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Back in the 90s I belonged to the BCA (Buick Club of America). Look them up on the net, send in your fee and you'll start getting the magazine and a copy of the owners registry. What I'm saying is, get closer to ppl who share your hobby and your perspective will sharpen as to what direction is best to take with the 225. It may turn out that your model isn't that desirable and won't increase in value but if it isn't worth fixing up you may find a cheap run down convertible, etc of the same year that your car could be the parts donor for.

ronronnie1
04-14-2010, 06:15 PM
I have a 1964 Buick Electra 225...

Cars from the 1960's are the most beautiful, in my opinion.

skyrick
04-14-2010, 08:03 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/nostalgia-memories/353d1254596909-old-car-trucks-you-have-show-em-tell-em-p8230352.jpg

Hey RealJimbo! My uploads exceeded my allowance, that's why I couldn't post a pic. Here's it is from another car thread a few months ago. Let's see that Deuce!

gen70
04-14-2010, 08:49 PM
One of my bros. had a 65 Ponty LeMans 2-door but, he totaled it. Got a good story about a 64 Deuce and a 1/4 (land arc) but, can't tell it here.

sam greenroyd
04-15-2010, 07:47 AM
The car market is down just a bit due to the economy and it cost a lot to restore so selling as is would be the best opt. in my opinion for what thats worth

USG '60
04-15-2010, 08:46 AM

You mean you never saw any cars in the 50s. That's kinda sad.:Smiley181

RealJimbo
04-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Boy is this timely! I have a 1965 Pontiac LeMans 4-door. NOT a muscle car. I've had it for almost 9 years. I love it because it's mine, but not sure I could get what it's worth to me from anyone else. I paid $1995 for it on Bay and drove it from Morgantown, WV home to Arlington,TX. I haven't restored it, just kept it running; I figure I've spent close to $10k on it to date. All new brakes; new suspension and steering; shocks; gas tank; auto trans rebuild; etc.

I've come to the decision that it's a zero return situation to keep it much longer, but I've received a lot of enjoyment from it and feel I've got more than my money's worth from it. I'd be happy if I could get $5000 for it, but I'm wondering (as are you) if that's likely.

A black Deuce and a Quarter! I bet it's a sweet ride. Could you post a pic? Here's mine.

Well crap, inserting or attaching a photo is not working for me. Oh well!

Saw the pic. Nice! Back about 40 years ago, an airman from Tinker advertised a '65 GTO for sale. $2500. I went to look at it with the cash in my pocket. The guy was out shining it up. It was maroon with black vinyl top, tri-power (factory), hurst 4-speed. Awesome! But I could see the way he was shining on it he had changed his mind. I was right. Boy, I wish he had been a little more desperate. It was a beauty.

I'll get a pic of my 225 up as soon as I can.

MsDarkstar
04-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Join a car club and restore it to show quality!

My parents used to be members of the CC Riders Car Club here in OKC, an absolutely great bunch of folks. Daddy started out in the same way as you, really. He acquired a 1953 Chevy & wasn't sure what he wanted to do with it. A friend of his was a member of the CC Riders & encouraged him to go to a few car shows & meet the participants. He was hooked! His baby ended up being a 1939 Chevy (dubbed "the Panther" because it was pink panther pink & had a small Pink Panther on the trunk). But I digress! lol. Car clubs are alot of fun & there are so many car shows around the State during the summertime, it's easily possible to have one to go to every weekend (if you so choose). Plus there's the fun of driving them in parades too. I guess I just think that with the right environment, that car can be more than just a financial sink...it could be a really fun social outlet!

MsDarkstar
04-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Here are my dad's cars...53 Chevy & the 39 Chevy he no longer owns (health issues forced him to sell) and the other is a 1935 Olds that he still owns, I've called dibs on it lol. Fiance & I are going to restore it.

RealJimbo
04-15-2010, 02:39 PM
More to the story...my wife owned this car when we married in 1972. It was her first car. We drove it on our honeymoon in the Lake Dardenelle, Ark. area. Lots of great memories.

decepticobra
04-15-2010, 03:57 PM

nah, 57 Chevy Bel-Air is the most beautiful vintage car out there.

of course, the most beautiful of cars of alltime are always Italian sportscars, everyone knows that.

sam greenroyd
04-15-2010, 04:24 PM
nah, 57 Chevy Bel-Air is the most beautiful vintage car out there.

of course, the most beautiful of cars of alltime are always Italian sportscars, everyone knows that.

I beg to differ you can't beat american muscle, thats the reason you see so many in car shows

sam greenroyd
04-15-2010, 04:31 PM
More to the story...my wife owned this car when we married in 1972. It was her first car. We drove it on our honeymoon in the Lake Dardenelle, Ark. area. Lots of great memories.

Now your talkin a different story, you better get her involved with this decision. lol.

rcjunkie
04-15-2010, 05:06 PM
My son is a young man after his dear dads heart, he turned 16 today, passed his drivers test, and we drove to Fairview Oklahoma looking at a couple of cars he's wanting to buy/restore. His dream car is a 1951, chopped top Mercury.

skyrick
04-15-2010, 05:24 PM
I beg to differ you can't beat american muscle, thats the reason you see so many in car shows

This is the only pic I can find of my old muscle car. 1971 Plymouth GTX 440. This was circa 1976 in front of the only place I lived on Southside. 1974-1984.
Speedo went to 150. On I-35 in Kansas (80 mph speed limit then) I got it up to 147 mph before I couldn't feel the road in the steering wheel anymore.:ohno: Yeah, stupid, but what'reyagonnado? I was in my 20s. Not an excuse though, it WAS stupid.
http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/nostalgia-memories/402d1266075286-old-car-trucks-you-have-show-em-tell-em-sc0005433a.jpg

gen70
04-15-2010, 07:03 PM
My son is a young man after his dear dads heart, he turned 16 today, passed his drivers test, and we drove to Fairview Oklahoma looking at a couple of cars he's wanting to buy/restore. His dream car is a 1951, chopped top Mercury. I think if your son's dream car is a 1951 chopped top Mercury at age 16, he is probably for sure a "car guy". (and that's a good thing)

rcjunkie
04-16-2010, 03:21 AM
I think if your son's dream car is a 1951 chopped top Mercury at age 16, he is probably for sure a "car guy". (and that's a good thing)

He's definitely a car guy, we plan are vacations around his racing and car shows.

Prunepicker
04-16-2010, 01:10 PM
I have a 1964 Buick Electra 225, black. I have thought about restoring it to
its former glory, maybe just selling it, can't make up my mind. How much
interest do you think there is in old cars, not necessarily muscle cars?

I'd start restoring or repairing it in a heart beat. For every car made there's a
collector and an interest. Interest in old cars, regardless of what they are, is
always going to be on the rise. Muscle cars are a small niche of the
excitement.

A '64 225 is quite a looker. Now get to work!

Prunepicker
04-16-2010, 01:13 PM
My current avatar is the 1931 Model A standard coupe we're restoring.
As far as we can tell, after removing 5 or 6 layers of paint, it's the same color
as when it drove off the lot in 1931.

skyrick
04-16-2010, 03:43 PM
My current avatar is the 1931 Model A standard coupe we're restoring.
As far as we can tell, after removing 5 or 6 layers of paint, it's the same color
as when it drove off the lot in 1931.

What's the timetable for finally taking full possession? When it's all yours are you gonna keep it in your garage or a storage unit?

Prunepicker
04-16-2010, 04:14 PM
What's the timetable for finally taking full possession? When it's all yours are
you gonna keep it in your garage or a storage unit?
We're waiting for someone who does incredible stainless steel work, the
radiator shell has some dings.

It's been ours for over 40 years and is going to be a driver. But the way it's
looking it might be entered in some shows, but not as 100% authentic.

We'll keep it in the garage at home.

skyrick
04-16-2010, 05:02 PM
We're waiting for someone who does incredible stainless steel work, the
radiator shell has some dings.

It's been ours for over 40 years and is going to be a driver. But the way it's
looking it might be entered in some shows, but not as 100% authentic.

We'll keep it in the garage at home.

Good for you! Trailer queens have their place, but a car like that is meant to be driven. Congrats on the progress!

gen70
04-16-2010, 09:00 PM
This is the only pic I can find of my old muscle car. 1971 Plymouth GTX 440. This was circa 1976 in front of the only place I lived on Southside. 1974-1984.
Speedo went to 150. On I-35 in Kansas (80 mph speed limit then) I got it up to 147 mph before I couldn't feel the road in the steering wheel anymore.:ohno: Yeah, stupid, but what'reyagonnado? I was in my 20s. Not an excuse though, it WAS stupid.
http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/nostalgia-memories/402d1266075286-old-car-trucks-you-have-show-em-tell-em-sc0005433a.jpg Skyrick... I think I remember seeing that car on the southside. What street was that car parked on?

skyrick
04-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Skyrick... I think I remember seeing that car on the southside. What street was that car parked on?

Murray, which was between SW46 and SW47. I was on the 2500 block between May and Villa.

Prunepicker
04-16-2010, 09:28 PM
[quote=gen70;318027
Skyrick... I think I remember seeing that car on the southside. What street
was that car parked on?[/quote]

Of course you saw it.

Hey! Who was the guy with the blue (1969?) Camaro Z-28, who cruised
the southside. If I heard the name I'd know it. A friend of mine raced him
down S.W. 29th street, we were on the curb side. We were going west
and were neck and neck and we were going over 100mph. Every 100 feet
my head hit the headliner. Winner? Are you kidding? 29th wasn't an
official racing strip.

Does anyone remember Rick Goltra(sp)? '69 GTX? 440? Really fast? His
car was so fast that he almost beat my '73 Super Beetle in the 1/4 mile.

yeah. right...

skyrick
04-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Of course you saw it.

Hey! Who was the guy with the blue (1969?) Camaro Z-28, who cruised
the southside. If I heard the name I'd know it. A friend of mine raced him
down S.W. 29th street, we were on the curb side. We were going west
and were neck and neck and we were going over 100mph. Every 100 feet
my head hit the headliner. Winner? Are you kidding? 29th wasn't an
official racing strip.

Does anyone remember Rick Goltra(sp)? '69 GTX? 440? Really fast? His
car was so fast that he almost beat my '73 Super Beetle in the 1/4 mile.

yeah. right...

I didn't grow up on the southside so I wasn't familiar with any of the locals except the Cokers. Todd owned a transmission shop and salvage yard on far west SW29th. His son Terry (Blue '70 Mach I w/428 Super Cobra Jet.
USG graduate, circa '71-'72) and nephew Jody were my main running buddies from 74 to about 79. Todd and his oldest son, Tommy raced Mar-Cars at the fairgrounds. Terry did for awhile 'til he had a wicked wreck and broke his arm and collarbone.

MsDarkstar
04-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Murray, which was between SW46 and SW47. I was on the 2500 block between May and Villa.

Wow, I thought I recognized those houses but though naaaaah not possible. Guess I really did recognize them! My mother grew up at 2532 Murray, my uncle still lives in that house & my great-uncle lives next door at 2540.

skyrick
04-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Wow, I thought I recognized those houses but though naaaaah not possible. Guess I really did recognize them! My mother grew up at 2532 Murray, my uncle still lives in that house & my great-uncle lives next door at 2540.

I was at 2552 from '74-'84. That's my car seen from the porch.

RealJimbo
04-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Trying to bring my Buick pic from the gallery. Guess I need to be smarter than dirt...

Prunepicker
04-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Trying to bring my Buick pic from the gallery. Guess I need to be smarter
than dirt...
You mean you've already restored the "Lead Sled"? That's fast! Is it a
convertible? If not, I have a brother in law that has a 500hp reciprocal saw
and a tarp. He could do the job in in 5 minutes.

No! He hasn't helped with the Model A restoration. In fact he doesn't know
about it.

Prunepicker
04-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Trying to bring my Buick pic from the gallery. Guess I need to be smarter
than dirt...
Jimbo, go to your "Control Panel". It's in the "Quick Links". Select "Pictures
and Albums". Upload your photo by *pwlkc[a thd [p90q8ndk. You have to
*pwlkc[a thd [p90q8ndk in order to upload a photo.

* follow the instructions.