View Full Version : Best Street in OKC?

G.Walker
04-13-2010, 03:04 PM
What is the best street in OKC? Re quality, traffic, and view, I am excluding NW Expressway.

My Pick: Lincoln Blvd, its a very well kept 6 lane street, with nice government buildings for a nice view.

okcpulse
04-13-2010, 03:25 PM
LHP from nw 63rd to memorial. 18 years old, in good shape with a nice view of lake hefner and the nw skyline.

metro
04-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Shartel

Architect2010
04-13-2010, 03:30 PM
My pick would have to be Broadway from NW 4th to NW 23rd. After more infill occurs between 23rd and 10th and fills the vacant lots, that will be an impressive street. A splendid view of Downtown, bi-sects many historic districts, is home to Automobile alley, and has the potential to be incredibly urban. It is also has an interesting streetscape and is well-maintained.

skyrick
04-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Paseo. Or Walker or Dewey between NW 17th to NW 11th.

lasomeday
04-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Mine is May Ave! All of my favorite restaurants are on it from Cafe 7 to Tana Thai to Okura Sushi to Zorbas.

jstanthrnme
04-13-2010, 08:35 PM
I think the best street in OKC is Carey Place.

OKCDrummer77
04-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Not sure if this counts as a "view", but I nominate Park Avenue from Harvey to Broadway, the best stretch of "urban canyon" in the city.

hipsterdoofus
04-13-2010, 09:26 PM
My Pick: Lincoln Blvd, its a very well kept 6 lane street, with nice government buildings for a nice view.

Read: your taxpayer money in full view? :ohno:

stlokc
04-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Classen Blvd with Western a close second.

The prettiest street is Grand Blvd. in Nichols Hills. (I know, not technically OKC)

EBAH
04-13-2010, 11:09 PM
I have to side with stlokc, Classen is great, historic neighborhoods, multiple iconic buildings, Asian district, (after seemingly endless resurfacing) good road quality, good plantings, and some of the overall best urban views in okc. When I've been gone a while, nothing makes me feel like I'm home like N Classen.

gen70
04-14-2010, 12:24 AM
I have to side with stlokc, Classen is great, historic neighborhoods, multiple iconic buildings, Asian district, (after seemingly endless resurfacing) good road quality, good plantings, and some of the overall best urban views in okc. When I've been gone a while, nothing makes me feel like I'm home like N Classen. I like Classen Blvd.. It might not be the best but, could be as "great" as it was in the olden days.

Kerry
04-14-2010, 06:11 AM
Not sure if this counts as a "view", but I nominate Park Avenue from Harvey to Broadway, the best stretch of "urban canyon" in the city.

I agree. Second best is California Ave just east of the train tracks looking east.

adaniel
04-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned Walker, from about 10th street to 23rd. At one end you have Plaza Court and surrounding areas, which is a microism of the rebirth of OKC. And once you get north of 13th, you see the beautiful tree lined streets of Heritage Hills. Even the areas south of 10th, which need some work still, have a great view of dowtown and provides the best vantage points for all the cranes of the Devon site. Looks like something you would see in Dubai, pre-bailout days.

Also, I would rate Lake Hefner Parkway b/w NW Expressway and Kirkpatrick Turnpike as a close second. It has convinced me that somewhere in ODOT's Hq's there's some troll that knows how to design and build good freeways yet they keep him locked in the basement and the last time they let him out was when LHP was planned. Also, there's great views of the lake and the "second skyline" of OKC.

CuatrodeMayo
04-14-2010, 08:39 AM
also, i would rate lake hefner parkway b/w nw expressway and kirkpatrick turnpike as a close second. It has convinced me that somewhere in odot's hq's there's some troll that knows how to design and build good freeways yet they keep him locked in the basement and the last time they let him out was when lhp was planned. Also, there's great views of the lake and the "second skyline" of okc.

x2

skyrick
04-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned Walker, from about 10th street to 23rd.

Actually I did, but my section was from 17th to 11th. Same strip on Dewey.

autoMATTic
04-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Exchange Ave from Stockyards to downtown. Great view and a reminder of how neat things once were, could be, and will be.

Matt
04-14-2010, 11:30 AM
The best street in OKC is the one upon which the ticker-tape parade will travel two months from now.

fuzzytoad
04-14-2010, 12:13 PM
SE 59th

gen70
04-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Exchange Ave from Stockyards to downtown. Great view and a reminder of how neat things once were, could be, and will be. Agreed..

BDP
04-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned Walker,

I agree with this. In addition to the views in Mid Town, which I love, you have Heritage Hills, which has some of the best tree lined sidewalks in the city along with some amazing houses. Mid Town and Up Town also provide the best potential for us to develop a real urban walkable shopping experience. Mid Town really is close. The Plaza Court is there with new housing coming online and there is a ton of undeveloped land that, if developed correctly (dense mixed use), could create OKC's first true urban neighborhood.

My second choice would be Western from 36th to I-44. Not as dense as it could be, but it has a nice truly local atmosphere and is surrounded by very diverse neighborhoods.

Kerry
04-14-2010, 02:27 PM
All these positive posts and no self-haters saying I-35 South. Or did I just jinx it?

I am also partial to N. Meridian north of NWE. Golf course on side and sailboats on the other. I also like I-44 between Penn Sq Mall and I-35.

Spartan
04-14-2010, 02:28 PM
I think the coolest street in OKC is Robinson as it cuts through Downtown. Oh wait, nevermind.....

adaniel
04-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Actually I did, but my section was from 17th to 11th. Same strip on Dewey.

Sorry, I completely missed that. I agree that the scenery tends to "peak" between 11th and 17th. Basically any N/S street in that area b/w Shartel and Robinson is going to be very well groomed.

ronronnie1
04-14-2010, 06:24 PM
The best street is I-35 on the way to Dallas. JUST KIDDING Kerry lol.

Faves:

Lincoln Blvd
Classen esp near 23rd
May around nwexp
NW 23rd from I-44 to Broadway - I LOVE the grit and seediness.
Shields Blvd and I don't care if you call me white trash for picking it.

oh, and N. Meridian with the trees, trees, and more trees.

Larry OKC
04-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Guess I need to get over to Lincoln Blvd again. Last time I was there (a few years ago now) it was nothing to write home about and you definitely didn't want to be there after dark. It was a scary place. A shame really since it is one of the main access points to the State Capitol.

Platemaker
04-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Guess I need to get over to Lincoln Blvd again. Last time I was there (a few years ago now) it was nothing to write home about and you definitely didn't want to be there after dark. It was a scary place. A shame really since it is one of the main access points to the State Capitol.

Slight exaggeration perhaps? ;)

G.Walker
04-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Yes, Lincoln Blvd is really nice, especially between N.E. 13th, and N.E 23rd, around the medical district, research park , and capitol.

skyrick
04-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Yes, Lincoln Blvd is really nice, especially between N.E. 13th, and N.E 23rd, around the medical district, research park , and capitol.

Well it's really changed since I moved away in '88 then. It used to be nothing but hookers and crack dealers. But then, so was Deep Deuce at the time.

jbrown84
04-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Yeah I love the topography on Lincoln north of the Capitol. Very hilly.

oh, and N. Meridian with the trees, trees, and more trees.

Do you mean between 39th and 50th? Or is it between 50th and 63rd? There's a creek running parallel to it I think, so there's a great greenbelt with thick, tall trees.

Larry OKC
04-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Slight exaggeration perhaps? ;)

No exaggeration at all. My former employer held one of our auctions at the hotel that is near the highway end of Lincoln, we were told by the hotel staff/manager not to leave any vehicles overnight. At the least, they would be vandalized or stolen.

This was 2 employers ago, but noticed the Arbys and the Taco Bueno both had earlier than normal closing times. I asked if it was because their business disappeared after 5 when the government offices shut down and that it was for safety reasons, due to the high crime rate after dark.

One night I was driving down Lincoln and came upon a red light. A teenager walked by shaking a can of spray paint. That was the last time I went down Lincoln after dark.

fuzzytoad
04-15-2010, 08:17 PM
One night I was driving down Lincoln and came upon a red light. A teenager walked by shaking a can of spray paint. That was the last time I went down Lincoln after dark.

rofl

did Ward and June have dinner warming in the oven for you?

Jon27
04-15-2010, 08:28 PM
The I-40 crosstown :tiphat:

Northsider
04-15-2010, 08:44 PM
since we cant use Nw expwy i guess i gotta go with Classen or Reno

Thunder
04-16-2010, 02:51 AM
I believe the best streets in OKC is the one connecting 59th to Crossroads, and the streets surrounding the malls. Very nice and pleasurable view.

Platemaker
04-16-2010, 10:38 AM
the hotel that is near the highway end of Lincoln,

Oh!!! Well nobody goes north of the capitol on Lincoln anyway. ;)

Platemaker
04-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Think 16th Street is a great through street. Besides the Plaza District there are potential mini-districts all along 16th at Young's (Aurora), Villa (Crestwood), May (Milam Place), Drexel (Milam Place/Linwood), and Portland (Corbin Hills).

skyrick
04-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Think 16th Street is a great through street. Besides the Plaza District there are potential mini-districts all along 16th at Young's (Aurora), Villa (Crestwood), May (Milam Place), Drexel (Milam Place/Linwood), and Portland (Corbin Hills).

Severl parts of NW 19th that parallels that stretch are nice also.

metro
04-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Well it's really changed since I moved away in '88 then. It used to be nothing but hookers and crack dealers. But then, so was Deep Deuce at the time.

Man if you've been away since '88 you really owe yourself a trip to OKC.

easternobserver
04-17-2010, 01:53 PM
24th Avenue NE/S. Air Depot Blvd from Robinson in Norman to 149th Street in OKC.

skyrick
04-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Man if you've been away since '88 you really owe yourself a trip to OKC.

I've been back dozens of times, just not to Lincoln.

easternobserver
04-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Also Memorial from I-35 to Midwest Boulevard. Very pretty.

Dustin
04-17-2010, 03:32 PM
May Ave. from Hefner to Memorial.. Not because of the view but because they finally got resurfaced!!!

corpsman
04-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Severl parts of NW 19th that parallels that stretch are nice also.

Portland to Meridian is especially stunning in the spring when the azaleas are in bloom.

CuatrodeMayo
04-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Freeway: Crosstown Bridge or Lake Hefner Parkway
City Street: Broadway/AA
Rural: Rt 66 from Edmond to Luther or Hogback Road from Jones to Luther.