View Full Version : Restaurant memories .

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

lt14life
04-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Does anyone remember Tonys via Roma ? it was located on N.W. Expressway & in the 80's this was the best Italian food in the city it was run by an Italian family, very nice people .

gen70
04-11-2010, 02:24 PM
The last time I ate there was in 1969 and I still remember the olive salad. (very good)

Hammondjam
04-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Here's a question for ya'll. Does anyone remember the spagetti restaurant that Foreman Scotty would advertise for on the show? Sometimes, he would make special appearances at the restaurant to sign autographs and yank the eyelashes out of little kids eyelids. I never got to see him there but I once ate dinner with him so I was happy anyway.

I keep getting the name Nicolosis's. Spelling is probably wrong.

mugofbeer
04-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Here's a question for ya'll. Does anyone remember the spagetti restaurant that Foreman Scotty would advertise for on the show? Sometimes, he would make special appearances at the restaurant to sign autographs and yank the eyelashes out of little kids eyelids. I never got to see him there but I once ate dinner with him so I was happy anyway.

I keep getting the name Nicolosis's. Spelling is probably wrong.

I don't recall the Foreman Scotty connection but Nicolosi's was down on NW 10th street somewhere, I want to say, west of Meridian and was great. That's where I had my first pizza and saw my first restaurant mouse. (LOL)

Hammondjam
04-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks Mug. I think I might know the building. I used to go past it and think it looked familiar. I think it's a kitchen for senior citizens now but I'm not sure.

PennyQuilts
04-11-2010, 04:18 PM
The last time I ate there was in 1969 and I still remember the olive salad. (very good)

I loved that place. Also loved the salad and I am not even a big olive fan.

corpsman
04-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks Mug. I think I might know the building. I used to go past it and think it looked familiar. I think it's a kitchen for senior citizens now but I'm not sure.

About the 5000 block of NW 10, south side of the street. It became a Jimmy's Round Up for a while after it was Nicolosi's. :hungry:

bluedogok
04-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Nicolosi's was a block west of Ann Arbor on the south side of NW 10th, across from Parr Automotive. The building is still there, there are empty lots on both sides from what I remember. JR's Chicken Ranch was on the SE corner of NW 10th & Purdue, there is an empty lot between them.

Generals64
04-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Nicolosi's was a block west of Ann Arbor on the south side of NW 10th, across from Parr Automotive. The building is still there, there are empty lots on both sides from what I remember. JR's Chicken Ranch was on the SE corner of NW 10th & Purdue, there is an empty lot between them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you'll go back to about page ten of the OKC memories...There is a complete story from everyone about all those places....Nicolosis made the best lasagna in OKC....They knew just how long to leave it to make the cheese on the outside "Crunchy"

papaOU
04-11-2010, 08:21 PM
If you'll go back to about page ten of the OKC memories...There is a complete story from everyone about all those places....Nicolosis made the best lasagna in OKC....They knew just how long to leave it to make the cheese on the outside "Crunchy"

I was under the impression that the building burned some while back.

papaOU
04-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Does anyone remember Tonys via Roma ? it was located on N.W. Expressway & in the 80's this was the best Italian food in the city it was run by an Italian family, very nice people .

Tony's via Roma had the best Italian sausage there was.

Tony's on Penn had the best linguine with clam sauce. And juke box!!

If you have not been, the Bella Vista, 5801 S. Western has tremendous Italian food.

Generals64
04-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Tony's via Roma had the best Italian sausage there was.

Tony's on Penn had the best linguine with clam sauce. And juke box!!

If you have not been, the Bella Vista, 5801 S. Western has tremendous Italian food.

================================================== =========
I too give my electoral vote to Bella Vista....It's a little hard to find but, it's a Gem....Right next to Capitol Hill Florist....

corpsman
04-12-2010, 11:23 AM
I too give my electoral vote to Bella Vista....It's a little hard to find but, it's a Gem....Right next to Capitol Hill Florist....

Ever notice how the really really good food places are the family owned and operated ones? Bella Vista, Tony's on N. Penn, Ned's, Nicolosi's, Leo's (while he was still alive), Jamil's,...........And so what if they are/were a little hard to find, the food was and is worth the search and their location is part of the allure.:Smiley077And one was /is made to feel welcome, not that hurry up, we need the table for the next group feeling.

RealJimbo
04-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Ever notice how the really really good food places are the family owned and operated ones? Bella Vista, Tony's on N. Penn, Ned's, Nicolosi's, Leo's (while he was still alive), Jamil's,...........And so what if they are/were a little hard to find, the food was and is worth the search and their location is part of the allure.:Smiley077And one was /is made to feel welcome, not that hurry up, we need the table for the next group feeling.

Agreed. Now go try Roma on Division Street in Guthrie. Awesome Italian food, made by real Italians. Just go. Go! Whattayadoin? Get up and go!

CarltonsKeeper
04-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Anyone ever eat at the Italian restaurant (pronounced) Gee-O-sep-ees) in Marlow, Ok. The building is a 110 yr old bank bldg, GREAT food...

Generals64
04-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Anyone ever eat at the Italian restaurant (pronounced) Gee-O-sep-ees) in Marlow, Ok. The building is a 110 yr old bank bldg, GREAT food...

We're afraid to go down there.....If your buying we'll try....

papaOU
04-12-2010, 06:14 PM

Is it anywhere the Marlow Townhouse Roller Rink? That place always comes to mind when I see or hear Marlow. KOMA commercial about sock-hops.

papaOU
04-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Agreed. Now go try Roma on Division Street in Guthrie. Awesome Italian food, made by real Italians. Just go. Go! Whattayadoin? Get up and go!

Bella Vista is owned and operated by Greeks! Great Italian food.....

CarltonsKeeper
04-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Is it anywhere the Marlow Townhouse Roller Rink? That place always comes to mind when I see or hear Marlow. KOMA commercial about sock-hops.
No, right in the middle of town!!

Hammondjam
04-12-2010, 08:08 PM
There used to be a restaurant(like Dodson's) in the Capitol Hill area but I cannot remember the name. It was in a small, enclosed mall and right across the hall from a shoe store. I believe the building was on the south side of 25th and the restaurant was on the west side of the (s)mall.

It's eating my brain trying to remember. Please help, Mr. Wizard.

gen70
04-12-2010, 08:22 PM
There used to be a restaurant(like Dodson's) in the Capitol Hill area but I cannot remember the name. It was in a small, enclosed mall and right across the hall from a shoe store. I believe the building was on the south side of 25th and the restaurant was on the west side of the (s)mall.

It's eating my brain trying to remember. Please help, Mr. Wizard. Was it right next to the Knob Hill Theatre?

papaOU
04-12-2010, 09:11 PM

It's eating my brain trying to remember. Please help, Mr. Wizard.

It was Cattleman's Cafeteria.

Hammondjam
04-13-2010, 05:27 AM
That's right!! As a kid, I used to wonder how and why it was so different than the OTHER place called Cattleman's. They had really great fried chicken and the pies were out of this world. My first pair of Justin ropers(that I saved up and paid for myself) came from the Florsheim shoe store across the hall.

Thanks PapaOU!

Generals64
04-13-2010, 07:55 AM
That's right!! As a kid, I used to wonder how and why it was so different than the OTHER place called Cattleman's. They had really great fried chicken and the pies were out of this world. My first pair of Justin ropers(that I saved up and paid for myself) came from the Florsheim shoe store across the hall.

Thanks PapaOU!

That Mall was OKC's first attempt for an indoor shopping mall. The Carfeteria was quite a hit when TG&Y would have their monthly divisional meetings there.
The people that owned it just didn't have the finances to keep the mall up and as it deteriorated they eventually tore it down. Just like on the North side of 25th st....Anyone remember all of those old buildings???

papaOU
04-13-2010, 10:25 AM
That Mall was OKC's first attempt for an indoor shopping mall. The Carfeteria was quite a hit when TG&Y would have their monthly divisional meetings there.
The people that owned it just didn't have the finances to keep the mall up and as it deteriorated they eventually tore it down. Just like on the North side of 25th st....Anyone remember all of those old buildings???

Not sure what you mean by "north side of 25th." There was one between 25th and 26th on the east side of Harvey. It was kind of strange since the east entrance/exit was into an alley.
The only business that I remember i.d. was a "coffee shop" owned and ran by a guy whose name was Doyle. At least that was what I think his name to be. Part of it or maybe all is a Latino sports bar. It seems to be doing quite well. During soccer play offs and championship games the place is packed...

Generals64
04-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Not sure what you mean by "north side of 25th." There was one between 25th and 26th on the east side of Harvey. It was kind of strange since the east entrance/exit was into an alley.
The only business that I remember i.d. was a "coffee shop" owned and ran by a guy whose name was Doyle. At least that was what I think his name to be. Part of it or maybe all is a Latino sports bar. It seems to be doing quite well. During soccer play offs and championship games the place is packed...
On the N.W. corner of 25th/Walker all of those old buildings were torn down...there used to be a mall like shopping area located just to the West of the Knob Hill Theater.....I think there is a Mexican Mercado there now...9southside of 25th/Commerce:....

papaOU
04-13-2010, 02:31 PM
On the N.W. corner of 25th/Walker all of those old buildings were torn down...there used to be a mall like shopping area located just to the West of the Knob Hill Theater.....I think there is a Mexican Mercado there now...9southside of 25th/Commerce:....

A parking lot is now where the mall was. The super Mercado is in the building that housed a carpet store. I think the place was one of Barton's many business's.

CarltonsKeeper
04-13-2010, 02:46 PM
A parking lot is now where the mall was. The super Mercado is in the building that housed a carpet store. I think the place was one of Barton's many business's.
All I remember on the N.W. corner of 25th and Walker was Joe's Texaco!! I thought to the west of him was all residential and all the business's were to the North of him!! Is that not correct???

Generals64
04-13-2010, 03:48 PM
All I remember on the N.W. corner of 25th and Walker was Joe's Texaco!! I thought to the west of him was all residential and all the business's were to the North of him!! Is that not correct???
I was checking to see if you were paying attention to my posting...I meant the N.E. corner. Joe's is now Jose's......Tires and wheels....

papaOU
04-13-2010, 03:52 PM

There were 2 business locations west of Joe's and then the residential area began. South of him was Humpty Dumpty. '64 is talking about the Southside of Commerce in the 400 block.

When I was growing up the southeast corner of Commerce and Walker had a used car lot (Fred Jones?). Heading east was the carpet store, Cattlemen's mall, a small office, the knob hill theater and on the corner a clothing store. I think it was kind of upscale womens store. I remember it to be Mosher-Adams, but it was a clothing store before that.

I have some photos of the Hill on Photobucket: http://s664.photobucket.com/home/papaOU/recentuploads?page=2

gen70
04-13-2010, 06:28 PM
There were 2 business locations west of Joe's and then the residential area began. South of him was Humpty Dumpty. '64 is talking about the Southside of Commerce in the 400 block.

When I was growing up the southeast corner of Commerce and Walker had a used car lot (Fred Jones?). Heading east was the carpet store, Cattlemen's mall, a small office, the knob hill theater and on the corner a clothing store. I think it was kind of upscale womens store. I remember it to be Mosher-Adams, but it was a clothing store before that.

I have some photos of the Hill on Photobucket: Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (http://s664.photobucket.com/home/papaOU/recentuploads?page=2) Peyton-Marcus?

papaOU
04-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Peyton-Marcus?

I must be getting old, can't seem to ever remember that.

gen70
04-14-2010, 12:16 AM
I must be getting old, can't seem to ever remember that. Yer not old unless you think so. My Grandfather's brother was one of the owners of Peyton-Marcos on"The Hill "and other locations. He was a "Dallas Guy". PaPa what do you think of the SOONER FOOTBALL team this comming year?

papaOU
04-14-2010, 02:47 AM
Yer not old unless you think so. My Grandfather's brother was one of the owners of Peyton-Marcos on"The Hill "and other locations. He was a "Dallas Guy". PaPa what do you think of the SOONER FOOTBALL team this comming year?

Just three questions/concerns. Offensive line? Offensive line? Offensive line?

Pro team=the Vikes: QB? D. Line? Secondary?

Generals64
04-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Yer not old unless you think so. My Grandfather's brother was one of the owners of Peyton-Marcos on"The Hill "and other locations. He was a "Dallas Guy". PaPa what do you think of the SOONER FOOTBALL team this comming year?

Hey gen70:......I'm impressed. Peyton-Marcus was quite a fashion statement throughout town. Steve, if you're reading this you need to see if 70 has any OKC Pictures.....

Generals64
04-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Hey surely someone remembers Glen's Hikry Innn come on...tell some stories. Now there was Cattlemen's Drive-Inn....Very interesting....How about Ellen's Grille....Shipman's.....The original Cocino de Mino:...29th/Central...

Don's Alley on S.e. 29th st....on 15th there was a rib house v\called the crib....surely you ate there at one time of the other.....Pulliaum's;.....Many Stories.....How about the burgers at Nichols Hills Rexall Drug...the real stuff..
everyone reading this knows other places...let's do a monthly gathering for a different type of food....Not leave Coit's...But, let's try something and take our Spouses....I can name a hundred........have you ever eaten in the Mercy Hospotal Cafeteria?????delicious....even the old Presbyterian Hospital....make a monthly date night.....Let's take a vote and majority rules...Gotta Bring a date...there's a foreign wars place that will let us come and dance on Saturday night...called 40 & 8 located on the southwest corner of 119th and May avenue....Nice place inexpensive and hey serve good snacks. I'm in for it and ready to put it all together.....On a Saturday night what'd yu guys think????We need to meet Mom's boyfriend and Pennyquilts has got to bring the federal man

They've been wanting me to Smoke Briskets and Ribs and if you guys will get a few couples together I'll commit for the event....They use it as a fund-raiser....Any Takers or just a bunch of wimps///The changelle has been thrown....

gen70
04-14-2010, 09:18 PM
64.. you made me think.. I worked on a hospital in Macon Ga. in the late 80's and, the food in the cafeteria was really good.

Prunepicker
04-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Tony's on Penn had the best linguine with clam sauce. And juke box!
That was Tony's Italian Specialties! It was great. I took a date there and
when the waiter brought the bill he said they didn't take credit cards. I was
rumaging through my car trying to scrape up enough cash to pay.

The Juke box was fabulous!

Prunepicker
04-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Anyone ever eat at the Italian restaurant (pronounced) Gee-O-sep-ees) in
Marlow, Ok. The building is a 110 yr old bank bldg, GREAT food...
Not me? Is it still there? I remember the Tower on the south side of Marlow.
It was pretty good.

Prunepicker
04-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Does anyone remember the Farmer's Daughter Drive-In?

CarltonsKeeper
04-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Does anyone remember the Farmer's Daughter Drive-In?
Way out on N.W. 10th or 23rd or somewhere in that direction!! It was far West on the Northside. I thought it was called "The Ranchers Daughter."

Prunepicker
04-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Way out on N.W. 10th or 23rd or somewhere in that direction!! It was far
West on the Northside. I thought it was called "The Ranchers Daughter."

It was just east of Meridian on N.W. 23rd street and on the north side.

Hey, didn't Beverly's have an item on the menu called the Farmer's Daughter?
I'm sure it had pancakes!

Prunepicker
04-14-2010, 11:50 PM
We've discussed this on another thread.

What was the Ogle Special at Dolores' Cafe?

sam greenroyd
04-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Way out on N.W. 10th or 23rd or somewhere in that direction!! It was far West on the Northside. I thought it was called "The Ranchers Daughter."

Farmer, Rancher pretty close.

CarltonsKeeper
04-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Not me? Is it still there? I remember the Tower on the south side of Marlow.
It was pretty good.
It's very good, highly recommend it! Open only on Wed thru Sat... Well worth the drive!!

CarltonsKeeper
04-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Hey surely someone remembers Glen's Hikry Innn come on...tell some stories. Now there was Cattlemen's Drive-Inn....Very interesting....How about Ellen's Grille....Shipman's.....The original Cocino de Mino:...29th/Central...

Don's Alley on S.e. 29th st....on 15th there was a rib house v\called the crib....surely you ate there at one time of the other.....Pulliaum's;.....Many Stories.....How about the burgers at Nichols Hills Rexall Drug...the real stuff..
everyone reading this knows other places...let's do a monthly gathering for a different type of food....Not leave Coit's...But, let's try something and take our Spouses....I can name a hundred........have you ever eaten in the Mercy Hospotal Cafeteria?????delicious....even the old Presbyterian Hospital....make a monthly date night.....Let's take a vote and majority rules...Gotta Bring a date...there's a foreign wars place that will let us come and dance on Saturday night...called 40 & 8 located on the southwest corner of 119th and May avenue....Nice place inexpensive and hey serve good snacks. I'm in for it and ready to put it all together.....On a Saturday night what'd yu guys think????We need to meet Mom's boyfriend and Pennyquilts has got to bring the federal man

They've been wanting me to Smoke Briskets and Ribs and if you guys will get a few couples together I'll commit for the event....They use it as a fund-raiser....Any Takers or just a bunch of wimps///The changelle has been thrown....
I've got an idea!! You have a great big house on a large piece of land!! Why don't YOU throw a big "Whing-Ding" Bar-B-Q with your smoked ribs, brisket, hot links etc. (I kind of like a little cole slaw with mine). Tub's of cold Bud Lite iced down (I prefer the hard stuff myself) and tons of vegetables, liked roasted ears of corn and so forth.. I think you could draw a real large crowd, everyone could have a big time, and we could all stand and stare at all your personal wealth! If I had your money, I'd throw mine away!! What sounds like a good date for this shin-dig now that your obligated to PRODUCE????? Step up to the plate BOY, it's your turn to bat!! P.S. You could even incorporate a small private car show to go along with the eats!!!

Prunepicker
04-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Farmer, Rancher pretty close.
That depends upon whom you're speaking to. Those can be fightin' words.

Prunepicker
04-15-2010, 11:30 AM
... Pulliaum's... Many Stories...

Pulliam's! Oh yeah! Complete with the bubbling sauce in the jugs in the
window. Why were they bubbling? There wasn't any fire under them? Because
it was aged to perfection.

:LolLolLol

corpsman
04-15-2010, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=Generals64;317323]Hey surely someone remembers Glen's Hikry Innn come on...tell some stories. Now there was Cattlemen's Drive-Inn....Very interesting....How about Ellen's Grille....Shipman's.....The original Cocino de Mino:...29th/Central...

Since you asked....before Mario and Leticia took over ownership and operation of the restaurant at 29 & Central it was known simply as Mino's. Owners lived upstairs. When Mario and Leticia took over there were 2 cooks, Mario ran the cash register and helped prepare the plates, Leticia seated the guests and took orders because she could speak English and the 2 waitresses served the appetizers, kept the drinks filled,and served the food. The flour tortillas were made fresh on site. I think they were one of, if not the first in OKC to serve white flour tortillas. They started out with just a few small tables, later had maybe 10 or 12, made a patio on the east side for summertime and then enclosed it for year round use. Best service of just about any restaurant anywhere. After they lost Cocino de Mino's Mario and Leticia opened Adobe Grill in Moore and now operate it at NW 50 and Shartel. Not too much Tex-Mex on their menu, but really good Mexican food, great service, and welcoming attitude that Leticia has always insisted upon. Her ranchera beans can't be topped.

SoonerGirl26
04-15-2010, 08:44 PM
.......We need to meet Mom's boyfriend .......

What makes you think mom has a boyfriend??????? :ohno:

~~~

SoonerGirl26
04-15-2010, 08:49 PM

Was JR's Chicken Ranch the place that served food family style and had a roof that could open up above you???

~~~

bluedogok
04-15-2010, 08:49 PM
That was Tony's Italian Specialties! It was great. I took a date there and
when the waiter brought the bill he said they didn't take credit cards. I was
rumaging through my car trying to scrape up enough cash to pay.

The Juke box was fabulous!
That was my favorite in OKC.

One that wasn't open that long but was a pretty good "fast food" type Italian restaurant was Pasta Pizzaz that was in the strip center across from Ted's on North May. He closed it because the wholesale pasta business was much more profitable.

bluedogok
04-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Was JR's Chicken Ranch the place that served food family style and had a roof that could open up above you???

~~~
That was the place....

SoonerGirl26
04-15-2010, 08:56 PM
That was the place....

Thought so..... I liked that place.

~~

Prunepicker
04-15-2010, 08:59 PM
~~~
I know nothing! NNNUT-THING!

FRISKY
04-15-2010, 10:27 PM

~~~The key word here is "a". Everyone knows vivacious cougars discard broken-hearted boyfriends by the dozens.

jdcf
04-16-2010, 12:32 PM

Prior to the location on NW Highway, Tony's Via Roma was located on N May Ave, west side of road, just south of 36th St. I ate there one time as a child and ordered ravioli. I can still recall being disappointed because, at the time, the ravioli was no where near as good as ravioli out of a can. What a dork!

Generals64
04-16-2010, 01:45 PM
The key word here is "a". Everyone knows vivacious cougars discard broken-hearted boyfriends by the dozens.

Yeah and some of them WEAR Homecoming Corsages....(40 years old)...

Prunepicker
04-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Yeah and some of them WEAR Homecoming Corsages... (40 years old)...
At least it looked good.

papaOU
04-16-2010, 01:55 PM
In the magazine, Distinctly Oklahoma, Oct. 2009, there is an article titled "Johnny's Lunch Box and Other Historic Eateries." pgs 72 to 76.

Jack Sussey introduced pizza to Okc. Same pizza is being served at the Nomad II and is considered by many to still be real east coast pizza.

Included in the article are Beverly's: During its peak, there were eight okc locations-Downtown, the Stockyards, Lincoln Blvd, 23rd and Classen, 16th and May, 31st and May, 12th and Walker, and NW Expressway and Independence. (I remember one at SW 29th and May).
Beverly Osborne and the restaurants were featured in a "Time" mag article. By 1950 he had franchised 250 outlets including 1 in South Africa.
The current owner, NW Expressway and Independence, says they recently located the recipe for "Beverly's famous tamales" and are searching for the halibut recipe since there are customers that still ask about them.

Ann's Chicken Chicken Fry House:

Began in 1966. Former name- "Three Bulls Steak House." In 1971, was bought by the 4 Burchett brothers. Needing a name change they put all family members name into a hat and drew one. Ann is wife of one of the brothers.

There is another section on Johnny' s Lunch Box on Sheridan. I like their corned beef and and homemade pies.

In past issues are articles about: Jamil's, The Haunted House, Cattleman's and Junior's.

and sections on places that are no longer with us: Fuzzy's, Herman's Glen's Hickory Inn, and Dodson's, Nicolosi's and the Anna Maude, Bishop's and Sleepy Hollow.