View Full Version : Thunderstorms

PennyQuilts
04-10-2010, 06:40 PM
One of my dogs is terrified of thunderstorms (and loud noises). I was told by a friend that she uses a homeopathic remedy Anxiety TFLN by HomeoPet, (which frankly, doesn't sound all that nice :LolLolLol) and that it has worked well.

Has anyone else tried this? Any other remedies? I've put a snug shirt on her and I think that has helped but there is only so much that can do. She is one and a half but it has been my experience that dogs who get freaked out don't just get calmed with age. She is calm, already, for her age except for this.

TOWNHERO
04-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Penny I have a 14 year old girl that is terrified of thundetstorms. Living in Okla you know we get them. She jumps into my bathtub when they come along. One time, in the morning, I was taking a shower, getting ready to go to work and we had a thunderstorm. Well she decided to jump into the shower with me. I've tried all kinds of remendies. Nothing has ever worked. I've put cotton in her ears with mineral oil and it didn't work. I guess we need to be patience with them

dismayed
04-10-2010, 08:02 PM
I have some of that for my dog, Penny. It comes in a little eyedropper bottle and depending on your dog's weight it tells you how many drops to give your dog.

I read the ingredients on the bottle and it is pretty much all alcohol. Basically it gets your dog sloshed, taking the edge off a bit. It does work, but it is kind of hard to figure out the right amount to get your puppy feeling something, but not too much.

I'd say maybe give your dog some of that when the storms roll through, and then just stay close to her and pet her a lot, especially on the back of her neck. Dogs are carried by their moms in their mouths by the scruff of the neck when they are little, and rubbing them kind of hard in this area sometimes reminds them of the security of being with their mom. Hope that helps.

PennyQuilts
04-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks. I picked up some of it, yesterday, and plan to try it. Dismayed, my husband pretty much said the same thing as you re the alcohol (he suggested getting some everclear, instead, but was teasing - our girls are his babies). She climbs up in my lap and trembles, usually. If I put the snug shirt on her, she doesn't need to be right in my lap but will hide under my husband's desk and dart around like the devil himself is on her tail. I feel bad for her.

I had a big old lab, years ago, who was terrified of storms. He dug through sheetrock more than once in a panic if a storm hit and we were at work.

kevinpate
04-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Our current pooch is a bit over a year old now.
While storms are not his preferred weather, he's progressing better
with each one that passes through.

Hadn't thought of sharing a nip with him. Hmmmmm.

HewenttoJared
04-22-2010, 10:19 PM
homeopathic

You should look up what homeopathy really is. Then you won't try it again for anything, ever.

HewenttoJared
04-22-2010, 10:20 PM
The easiest way to disconnect the fear-response loop is with distraction. Find somewhere with an ebb and flow of loud sounds and play ball or something regularly. That's how you fix those kinds of issues with birds anyways.

JohnDenver
04-26-2010, 12:26 PM
You should look up what homeopathy really is. Then you won't try it again for anything, ever.

Good link... How Does Hompeopath Work? (http://www.howdoeshomeopathywork.com/)

Joking aside, my one dog has this problem too. Since my dogs are so small, I just stack feather pillows on her until she can't hear the rain/thunder. She then sleeps it off. I know that won't work for your large dogs.. Find a well insulated laundry closest and put in noise padding on all the walls?

PennyQuilts
04-26-2010, 12:39 PM
When they hit at night, she gets up in bed with me, then jumps down and hides in the bathroom. 30 seconds later, she is back on the bed pressed up against me. Repeat.

During the day it is better. She stays close and trembles or hides under my husband's desk. I hope that once she gets used to Oklahoma thunderstorms it will get better but I sorta doubt it.

FritterGirl
04-26-2010, 12:48 PM
I've tried and used Richard's Pet Calm, which is an herbal supplement and has really done the trick for one of my terriers, who has social anxiety, and my beagle mix, who is terrified of storms.

You can find it at PetSmart (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3240333#prodTab1).

Active Ingredients: Valerian, Chamomile, Hops, Passion Flower, Scull Cap. Inert Ingredients: Deionized Water, Fructose Sodium Benzoate.

Directions: Shake well. Administer into pet's mouth with dropper. May be used every 6 hours. Do not use for pregnant or nursing animals.

Dosage (1 dropper = 1 ml):

Up to 40 lbs: 1-4 ml
Over 40 lbs: 3-6 ml

It just kind of puts them in a bit of a more mellow state and takes away the anxiety.

You might also look at the Drs Fosters and Smiths catalogs (just do an online search for Fosters and Smith). As I recall, they have a wide variety of products and herbal supplements, including calming additives for anxiety and other disorders.