View Full Version : Rock N Oklahoma

ljbab728
04-08-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet.

NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com/oklahomas-80s-rock-festival-is-making-some-noise/article/3452272?custom_click=headlines_widget)

This looks to be a significant high profile event that will bring many visitors along with their money into OKC. This music isn't from my generation but I still appreciate the large crowds that will attend.

I find it interesting that this kind of event is embraced now. I still remember not long after Woodstock there was a huge rock festival planned at Turner's Falls. I had tickets for it. Our wonderful governor, Dewey Bartlett, succeeded in getting it cancelled because of all of the bad publicity that rock festivals were getting in the 60's.

SkyWestOKC
04-09-2010, 05:46 AM
DAS SCORPIANS!!!! Can't wait! RATT! Wooooo!

EBAH
04-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Ahhh, so I guess this is why the lineup seems to have changed wildly @ Rocklahoma. Rocklahoma originaly had a "whos who" lineup of hair metal bands, and got a HUGE profile from it. But from this little article, it seems they had a split in management, which would explain this years lineup of "trucker rock" bands, and lack of a concise theme (@Rocklahoma that is). I guess it's good news, I always thought that fest would make a bit more sense a little closer to a city. If it is anything like Rocklahoma it will be a pretty epic/zany event.

gen70
04-09-2010, 10:40 AM
I think Turner Falls would be a great place for a large rockfest.

Grant
04-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Is there any connection here between Rock N Oklahoma and Rocklahoma? I always thought Rocklahoma was an 80s rock fest, but this years lineup features a lot of new (though very good) rock n roll bands like Taddy Porter. Either one of these festivals would be awesome in the new outdoor theater in the new park.

Also, anybody know who was slated to play at this huge rockfest at Turner Falls?

EDIT: Oops. According to EBAH's post, the management split. So is Rocklahoma going for more of a pure rock n roll feeling, with Rock N Oklahoma going for the 80s rock crowd?

ljbab728
04-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Also, anybody know who was slated to play at this huge rockfest at Turner Falls?

Grant, unfortunately, after over 40 years I don't remember what performers or bands were supposed to appear. It was a major event, however, with many big name acts. It likely wouldn't have drawn a Woodstock crowd but could have easily been over 100,000 people.

SoonerBent
04-10-2010, 05:54 AM
Someone advertising for this on the radio was saying how this event would change the face of the concert future of OKC. If an event of aging 80s hair bands changes OKC, I'm scared.

SkyWestOKC
04-10-2010, 03:01 PM
"concert future" = what performers would be attracted here.

Apples to oranges. He is talking about perception of the city, not changing the city itself.

SoonerBent
04-10-2010, 03:48 PM
"concert future" = what performers would be attracted here.

Apples to oranges. He is talking about perception of the city, not changing the city itself.

Even so. I don't want the perception of OKC being that having a bunch of bands that haven't had a hit between them in 20 years doing a festival together is a major deal. Selling out the Ford center in minutes for current artists is a good perception of our great city. This thing at the zoo is not so much. BTW, we go to at least 3 to 4 concerts at the zoo every season. I love the zoo amphitheater. It's just not a venue to judge OKC's concert draw viability by.

SkyWestOKC
04-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Are you kidding? I have friends from as far away as Amarillo and Lubbock, one from Houston, who is absolutely pumped about this and can't wait to come and see this show.

Urbanized
04-10-2010, 04:11 PM
I think the involvement of the ACM@UCO might have more positive effect on OKC than anything. Whether you like this particular brand of music or not, most of these bands have done something to manage to stay around this long. They undoubtedly bring a lot of collected wisdom regarding the industry, which they can share with ACM students via the Masters Class program, which seeks to give veteran industry insight to ACM students. These guys will be able to give unvarnished advice that might help those students become more successful and also help them avoid some of the pitfalls of the industry.

Also, the ACM students will be interning during the festival, gaining real-life experience in how the concert industry works.

I think the valuable experience they gain will help grow the local music scene by leaps and bounds, and also perhaps set the stage for other types of festivals of the non-hairband variety.

But like others have mentioned, this looks to be THE 80s hairband revival show of this season and maybe more, which will bring tons of people (many of them fully-functional grownups) to town, which will have a very nice direct and indirect economic impact.

okcpulse
04-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Are you kidding? I have friends from as far away as Amarillo and Lubbock, one from Houston, who is absolutely pumped about this and can't wait to come and see this show.

I am definitely going. Any excuse to get back to okc!

ljbab728
04-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Even so. I don't want the perception of OKC being that having a bunch of bands that haven't had a hit between them in 20 years doing a festival together is a major deal. Selling out the Ford center in minutes for current artists is a good perception of our great city. This thing at the zoo is not so much. BTW, we go to at least 3 to 4 concerts at the zoo every season. I love the zoo amphitheater. It's just not a venue to judge OKC's concert draw viability by.

As I said in my original post, Brent, this music isn't of my generation and I have little interest in it. My point is that it can bring significant dollars into OKC from those who do. I also would never attend an OKC Grand Prix but think it is great for the City because of the publicity and money it would bring. There obviously is a large market for something like this and I don't think we want it going to Austin instead of us. Austin embraces all types of music and I'm sure would be happy to have it. I don't think that hurts Austin's public perception.