View Full Version : "Going Green"

Peach fuzz
04-08-2010, 09:36 PM
First of all, I am a 20 y/o student who has no clue what political party im tied to (Conservative rents, liberal sister, girlfriend and friends), didnt vote last election :Smiley078 because I didn't like either nor wanted either to represent me :( ...

Could care less about Gores "truth" or tree hugging and all that crap, hell 2 years ago I could throw out styrofoam cups all day and not give a hoot. But, for some reason lately, Ive been doing the little things here and there to do my good turn daily and maybe leave my path better than before. I dont care for all the "Go Green" shananagins, nor do I listen to the people that say "climate change" isnt happening because I know for damn sure that smog I used to breathe back in long beach doesn't help polar bears.

Anyone else trying to help out? if so what kind of things do you change or what would you suggest others try to do? I like the thought of the world being enlightened, and try to conserve as best we can. I know okc is very conservative in most areas, and our resorces arent going to let us change easily, but does anyone see us working on it here as much as they do in other parts? or are we always going to back the arguement of "well they aint proovn nuthin bout globular warmins" no offense to anyone who actually talks/types like that :D

Im not trying to save the planet, but eventually, weather you're conservative or not, this will catch up to us someday..

just wondering

LeethalDose
04-10-2010, 09:11 PM
if so what kind of things do you change or what would you suggest others try to do?

I'll give my two cents and give this a bump since no one else has responded.

Recycling the styrofoam cup is better than throwing it out the window but best is to reduce your consumption so there is no styrofoam cup to recycle or toss away.

Find all the ways possible to reduce the size of your footprint. Find all the ways you consume and see if you can consume less.

When dining out informally bring your own containers for bringing leftovers home from the restaurant.

Support local business when given the opportunity - the greenest stuff is often grown/produced/manufactured locally.

Learn to compost and grow some stuff - if only in a few pots.

Walk whenever possible - up the stairs - to the store - whatever.

You are right - it's not the planet that needs saving - we do.

IMHO - "Greening" the heart trumps "Greening" the evironment! Don't neglect it - get to know yourself - the most important commodity / consummable / recycle-able material you have. The environment and all those around you will benefit more from that than anything else.

Peach fuzz
04-11-2010, 12:07 AM
I don't see myself ever bringing my own leftover containers to a restaurant but it makes sense like your own grocery bag. They always try to give me a bag at 7 eleven and walmart for 1-3 small items which can be a huge waste on a grand scale

LeethalDose
04-11-2010, 08:03 AM
but it makes sense like your own grocery bag.
That's what i use to carry the containers: Brown: the new green (http://www.browntoearthbagco.com/) - a local entrepenuer

gmwise
04-11-2010, 10:38 AM
First, my respects for seeing what YOU can do.
It takes some time to look for ways to cut back on your footprint.
Looking for items you do buy, with less packaging.
I started by the lights..seeing what is left on and why....then I started on the thermostat...and actually go down or up a degree at a time...I then started by sitting in the dark and looked around to see what is lit, putting those on a power strips to turn off when I leave for the day or the night/extended time.
I replaced the lights thats on at night with CFLs, (now LED).
One of my friends loved the fast food at one place, but then drive to another for the sides, and yet another for the dessert.lol
I usually prefer to cook at home.
I budgeted my car trips to be more efficient, use mass transit or carpools, if possible.
I hope this helps in yours.

Peach fuzz
04-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Looks like I might buy a pair of puma :)

Puma saying goodbye to shoe boxes - Retail - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36459587/ns/business-retail/?gt1=43001)

gmwise
04-13-2010, 03:01 PM
I wished more companies would do that.

mugofbeer
04-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Why shoeboxes? They are biodegradable, can be made of recyclable material and can be put to a million alternative uses once you get your shoes home. Focus on CD/DVD boxes, lethal molded plastic packaging, styrofoam lunch containers, Sonic's styrofoam drink cups, 5 different yellow pages automatically put on your doorstep, etc.

PennyQuilts
04-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Good for you! I grew up in the days where trash littered the sides of the roads and people thought absolutely nothing of tossing their garbage out the car window - it is great how far we've come.

Lots of good tips, here. I can't add too many other than that we recycle, try to avoid using too much plastic (like bottled drinks), decline sacks unless it is absolutely necessary, read online or with my kindle or iphone, compost heap, home garden, unplug applicances I am not going to use for awhile (and my iron most of the time when I'm not using it - it is an energy drain). I could do a lot better but try to keep these sorts of things in mind to choose the smaller footprint when offered a choice.

gmwise
04-14-2010, 02:53 AM
Why shoeboxes? They are biodegradable, can be made of recyclable material and can be put to a million alternative uses once you get your shoes home. Focus on CD/DVD boxes, lethal molded plastic packaging, styrofoam lunch containers, Sonic's styrofoam drink cups, 5 different yellow pages automatically put on your doorstep, etc.

Mugs its a start.

LeethalDose
04-14-2010, 07:53 AM

Mugs its a start.

Recycling is second line defense - 1st line is *not* creating the recyclable. Maybe if Puma made CD/DVD boxes, lethal molded plastic packaging, styrofoam lunch containers, Sonic's styrofoam drink cups, 5 different yellow pages - they would address those issues. Cheers to Puma for a small step <grin?>

But look at the entire footprint <grin?> - think outside the box <ouch! - okay i'll stop> How *green* are the shoes (the materials and the manufacturing process)?

Can i compost them? Sorry (offtopic) - saw paper dresses on Antiques Road Show - set of 4 stewardess outfits are worth a grand.

gmwise
04-14-2010, 08:30 AM
The threee r's...
Reduce
reuse
recycle.

LeethalDose
04-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Recycling is second line defense...

The threee r's...
Reduce
reuse
recycle.
I stand(sit) corrected. Like i said - recycling is a third tier strategy...

gmwise
04-14-2010, 10:48 AM
snap! lol