View Full Version : What would you choose to save the world?

PennyQuilts
04-08-2010, 05:16 PM
First ladies have traditionally chosen specific causes that are important to them. Lady Bird Johnson stressed environmental protection and was involved in pressing for wildflower beautification. Pat Nixon encouraged volunteerism. Betty Ford supported women's' rights. Rosalynn Carter's cause was developmental disabilities. Mrs. Reagan was involved in drug abuse issues. Barbara Bush stressed reading. Hillary pushed for healthcare reform. Laura Bush, a librarian, encouraged childhood literacy. And Michelle Obama has taken up the cause of childhood obesity.

If you had a cause you would particularly support, what would it be? Exercise? Global warming? Animal welfare? Child abuse? Higher education? Organic farming? Something else?

I would choose adoption and high risk parenthood as my cause - both encouraging people to adopt, and people to consider allowing others to adopt children they could not care for or weren't ready to raise. I would also encourage organizations who could educate mother-to-be on proper prenatal care, encourage the establishment of homes for unwed mothers, press for early childhood education for mothers-to-be (or parents to be) and encourage teaching financial management skills for your parents and parents-to-be.

ddavidson8
04-08-2010, 06:23 PM
I've already thought about how I could use teleportation to rid our country and the world of it's three biggest threats.

skyrick
04-08-2010, 06:36 PM
I would say there are two causes I would like to support.

1. The fight against illiteracy. I don't mean just the ability to read and comprehend what you have read, I mean the love of reading for reading's sake. I grew up in a house full of readers, had my first library card at 4 yrs old. My youngest daughter only read what she had to in order to get through high school and college. She would never read for pleasure. It's my job to help my granddaughter to become an avid reader.

2. Sex Education. Here in the DFW area there are middle schools that have day care centers for the (just barely) teen mothers so they can stay in school. That is a good thing, but why are they necessary? Teens will have sex. They should know how to do it without ruining their or their potential children's lives.

PennyQuilts
04-08-2010, 07:54 PM
I've already thought about how I could use teleportation to rid our country and the world of it's three biggest threats.

Well then, sounds like something we could all support! :woowoo:

possumfritter
04-08-2010, 08:21 PM
If I could have a real impact on making a significant change in our country...it would have to be something along the lines of helping families to become self-reliant, staying together, and helping each and every member of the family to become the very best person they could possibly be.

LeethalDose
04-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Don't need teleportation to get rid of "I", "Me" and "Mine". :smile:

skyrick
04-08-2010, 08:47 PM

I was hoping this wouldn't turn political.

PennyQuilts
04-08-2010, 08:57 PM
I was hoping this wouldn't turn political.

Always a risk, I'm afraid...

ddavidson8
04-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Really? The OP didn't have any political slant to it at all?

PennyQuilts
04-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Really? The OP didn't have any political slant to it at all?

OP? Original premise? No, not particularly - it had to do with isolating our passions and things we believe are important. But be that as it may, no biggie if some of those things are political. The trollish comment wasn't particularly political - it was just trollish.

ddavidson8
04-09-2010, 06:23 AM
I'm not trying to be a troll. I literally lie in bed awake at night thinking about how teleportation can get us out of this jam.

USG '60
04-09-2010, 06:52 AM
I'm not trying to be a troll. I literally lie in bed awake at night thinking about how teleportation can get us out of this jam.

What have you come up with so far?

gen70
04-09-2010, 10:46 AM
What have you come up with so far? He..He..

mugofbeer
04-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I think preserving the buildings at the Sandridge HQ would save the world. Urbanization is the root of a civilized society, after all.

ddavidson8
04-09-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm afraid to say. People might think I'm crazy. I will say that NO HARM would come to anyone from this.

corpsman
04-10-2010, 08:45 AM
First ladies have traditionally chosen specific causes that are important to them. Lady Bird Johnson stressed environmental protection and was involved in pressing for wildflower beautification. Pat Nixon encouraged volunteerism. Betty Ford supported women's' rights. Rosalynn Carter's cause was developmental disabilities. Mrs. Reagan was involved in drug abuse issues. Barbara Bush stressed reading. Hillary pushed for healthcare reform. Laura Bush, a librarian, encouraged childhood literacy. And Michelle Obama has taken up the cause of childhood obesity.

If you had a cause you would particularly support, what would it be? Exercise? Global warming? Animal welfare? Child abuse? Higher education? Organic farming? Something else?

I would choose adoption and high risk parenthood as my cause - both encouraging people to adopt, and people to consider allowing others to adopt children they could not care for or weren't ready to raise. I would also encourage organizations who could educate mother-to-be on proper prenatal care, encourage the establishment of homes for unwed mothers, press for early childhood education for mothers-to-be (or parents to be) and encourage teaching financial management skills for your parents and parents-to-be.

Hear;hear!. To this I would add extensive education of prospective adoptive parents because abuse and neglect do not necessarily begin post partum and at some point all adopted children will have to deal with abandonment issues.

PennyQuilts
04-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Hear;hear!. To this I would add extensive education of prospective adoptive parents because abuse and neglect do not necessarily begin post partum and at some point all adopted children will have to deal with abandonment issues.

Excellent points.

gmwise
04-10-2010, 09:00 AM
All of mans problems is solvable by man.
The real problem is the problem of WILL.
Political will, society will,personal will...ie motivation
Solve the motivation problem then you will solve alot, if not all of the problems that plague us.

{bows