View Full Version : End Game strategies

Stan Silliman
04-08-2010, 11:43 AM
You've went to overtime on a fast paced game and then had to fly home to play the next day against a team that was in a day early and has been resting and ready to play.

That's an occasional scenario in the NBA and Brooks needs to be ready for it.

Against the Nuggets we go up by 10 early in the fourth and then lose the ability to hit jump shots. Not just miss them, but front rim them badly, a clear sign we've lost our legs and fatigue has set in.

All NBA teams face this possibility late in the season but because our team is so young we don't expect it. Yet it's going to happen. To combat that probability Brooks needs to shuffle the line-up even more, give the starters even more rest and stack the end game roster with players who will attack the basket.

Denver, with a more veteran team, anticipated we might be tiring and adjusted their game two ways: 1) they conceded the defensive rebounds and hurried down to stop our transition game and 2) packed the middle and dared us to shoot from the outside.

I was yelling for Brooks to counter by inserting both Krystic and Ibaka for Green and Collison. Both were rested and would have given us the mid-range threats we needed at the end.

mmonroe
04-08-2010, 12:21 PM
I too have witnessed more than one home game where we were ahead and were just too tired to compete in the last 5 minutes of the game and lost.

JDThurman
04-08-2010, 12:23 PM
As a fan, I was exhausted watching them play a back-to-back. Can't imagine how they were still going. Not sure why he did it the way he did last night though. Maybe Brooks was just as tired.

OU Adonis
04-08-2010, 06:18 PM
I blame part of the Nuggets loss on Brooks.

KD played 43 minutes in the loss to UTAH

KD played 44 minutes in the loss to Denver (Out of 48!!!)

Thats insane minutes, especially in a back to back. Crazy. He should be around the 38 min mark.