View Full Version : AOL to sell or kill Bebo

metro
04-06-2010, 02:52 PM
What is it with AOL and bad decisions? They lose out on owning the broadband ISP game, and then pay $850million for a service they will kill 2 years later.

AOL Says Bye-bye to Bebo - PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/193578/aol_says_byebye_to_bebo.html)

Midtowner
04-06-2010, 02:57 PM
AOL has some really awful management.

gmwise
04-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Aol is "lead" by people who is incapable of living in the now, with a eye to the future.
Living today on the victories of the past.
I am almost sure that the phrase "we have never done that before" which translates as we will not', is often spoken by the leadership.
This is the same leadership that will blame their incapability to turn a profit,not on their leadership and "vision", but on "the government, the market,their competitors,anyone else but them.

venture
04-07-2010, 01:13 AM
Ever since they got greedy and bought Time Warner, the company has been in a nose dive. I remember watching my stock options with a purchase price of $60 be worth no more than $19 when i got out of that place. So much potential thrown away.

gmwise
04-07-2010, 09:58 AM
I remember a friend of mine worked at the OKC call center.
He was excited about his job and what they're doing...
Then he lost that and he left.
Glad he cashed out when he did.
Back in the day it was like learning the Internet with training wheels.

mireaux
04-08-2010, 01:22 AM
Bebo??? that golden robotic owl from Clash of the Titans??

gmwise
04-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Bebo??? that golden robotic owl from Clash of the Titans??

yea, its all Hollywood.
When they do a remake they like to destroy all the vestiges of the original.

metro
04-09-2010, 08:46 AM
I remember a friend of mine worked at the OKC call center.
He was excited about his job and what they're doing...
Then he lost that and he left.
Glad he cashed out when he did.
Back in the day it was like learning the Internet with training wheels.

Yeah I worked there during it's heydey, wish I wasn't young and dumb and spent all my money in investing in their stocks and then cashing it out. I know several people who made out big, but most lost the majority. They were paying well, tons of benefits, ridiculous dot.com days benefits. Was a good college job.

gmwise
04-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Yeah I worked there during it's heydey, wish I wasn't young and dumb and spent all my money in investing in their stocks and then cashing it out. I know several people who made out big, but most lost the majority. They were paying well, tons of benefits, ridiculous dot.com days benefits. Was a good college job.

Oh he was just high on that job, (loved it), he would call me and tell me all about the new roll outs, the bonuses, the pay, then one day he called me and said he is done with it,he got out, and sold it all (the stocks).
To this day I dont know what happened.