View Full Version : Mel's Towing

wsucougz
04-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Looks like Mel has cleared out and they are renovating the interior(on 9th, next to Iguana Lounge). Someone had previously mentioned that it will be a live music venue and, from taking a peek in the window, it looks like they are setting up a little ticket booth/bar kind of thing.

Anyone have the inside scoop?

Side note: I wonder if this had anything to do with the Community Foundation's new parking lot. Steve Mason is president of their board, I believe. Strikes me as a mutually beneficial thing to have just occurred.

Side side note: The cars are still up there.

Spartan
04-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Steve Mason was actually very personally peeved that the board he is president of destroyed the building. The surrounded-by-urbanity environment of Iguana took a hit when they demo'd the building behind it.

wsucougz
04-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Good to know. If the parking is just for the Community Foundation it's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen done.

soonerguru
04-05-2010, 10:04 PM
What is it with this city? It's like a sickness. Even our own city benevolent foundation wants a sea of surface parking.

It's disturbing and, I dare to say, so common in OKC as to rise to the level of cliche.

We seem perpetually doomed to taking two steps forward, two steps back here until the end of time. That means it will take thirty to fifty years before we actually see the infill development and pedestrian-friendly environment we want.

It's frustrating and -- when you reach your forties -- it makes you seriously consider just moving somewhere else that has these kinds of basic city amenities.

betts
04-05-2010, 10:30 PM
A while back I was told there will be an Italian restaurant called Romeo in the building, that BD Home would be moving there and that there would be a music venue with food ala VZDs. Don't know if any of that is still planned. At the time I was told Mel was refusing to leave any of the cars.

John
04-05-2010, 10:56 PM
'Paint the Town Robert' will be held @ Mel's on Saturday...

Eep
04-06-2010, 08:20 AM
that BD Home would be moving there
When I was in there a few weeks ago, they said that they would hopefully be moving into the upstairs area. I think that would be a better space for them - what they have is awfully small their line of business.

metro
04-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Yes, they use it for musical acts and catering. They are having some 40th B-Day celebration coming up for someone named "Robert", I'll see if I can find the flyer again and scan it in.

Platemaker
04-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Yes... it's Robert Painter's birthday... BUT it's mainly a benefit for Other Options and Friends food Pantry... an HIV/AIDS organization.

jbrown84
04-10-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm interested to see what they do with the space.

LordGerald
04-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Sounds like a great place for a maintenance facility for the streetcar.