View Full Version : "Who Killed Kelsey?" (Book Release)

possumfritter
04-05-2010, 04:33 PM
I just found out that Britten Follett's and Cherokee Ballard's book, "Who Killed Kelsey?" is now available online.

Go to: Who Killed Kelsey? - Home (http://www.whokilledkelsey.com)

PennyQuilts
04-05-2010, 04:50 PM
That looks interesting. I read the other book about her. I like Cherokee and may pick this one up.

possumfritter
04-05-2010, 05:21 PM
I knew that would catch YOUR eye Penny :-)

Midtowner
04-05-2010, 06:47 PM
More capitalizing on this poor kid's death. If the profits aren't donated to a not-for-profit, my opinion of all involved will be low.

PennyQuilts
04-05-2010, 07:19 PM
More capitalizing on this poor kid's death. If the profits aren't donated to a not-for-profit, my opinion of all involved will be low.

From the link:

10% of the profits go to the Kelsey Briggs Foundation

The Kelsey Briggs Foundation is a non-profit organization committed to the prevention of all forms of child abuse and neglect. Central to the mission is the promotion of healthy, nurturing relationships between children and adults. Through education, collaboration, and advocacy, the foundation provides programs and events which foster the well-being of children and families throughout the nation. Child abuse prevention is accomplished through education, training, and promoting public awareness.

possumfritter
04-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Penny is 100% correct. And even if that wasn't the case, Britten Follet is just about the only investigative reporter in the Metro that isn't afraid to knock on the door of Howard Hendricks.

I for one look forward to reading what she may have uncovered.

Midtowner
04-06-2010, 10:58 AM
From the link:

10% of the profits go to the Kelsey Briggs Foundation

The Kelsey Briggs Foundation is a non-profit organization committed to the prevention of all forms of child abuse and neglect. Central to the mission is the promotion of healthy, nurturing relationships between children and adults. Through education, collaboration, and advocacy, the foundation provides programs and events which foster the well-being of children and families throughout the nation. Child abuse prevention is accomplished through education, training, and promoting public awareness.

Woo. 10%. Thank ya Ms. Rockafeller.

Scumbaggery confirmed. These people are lining their pockets by retelling the story of a little girl who was beaten to death.

PennyQuilts
04-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Woo. 10%. Thank ya Ms. Rockafeller.

Scumbaggery confirmed. These people are lining their pockets by retelling the story of a little girl who was beaten to death.

I understand where you are coming from and I always have those sorts of concerns with true crime sorts of books. With a local child, it hits even sharper. I like Cherokee, personally, so I tend to give her more the benefit of the doubt but, again, I hear you.

I read the story written by the judge in the case. I thought it was odd that he would write one but it answered a lot of my questions about the legal posture which was interesting to me because of what I do, professionally. What he wrote in explanation rang true, to me as a guardian ad litem. Based on the facts he presented, it is hard to really see why the decision was second guessed by the public other than that people were hurting and wanted someone to blame. Based upon what he wrote about the case, I completely understand why he made the decision he did although, hindsight certainly shows it was the wrong one.

I think that, for me, reading a second book might give me more facts to try to figure out if the judge left something out or if the public just needed someone to blame - I am still trying to make sense of the situation. Not that it matters but there but for the grace of god go so many children. I used to have to make decisions concerning recommendations. Fortunately, I had the option of following my gut if I could make a good faith argument that something was in the child's best interests. I didn't have to make the actual decision - that was left to the judge. I could follow my instincts and let him overrule me and still sleep at night. It is harder for a judge.

Midtowner
04-06-2010, 11:30 AM
I understand where you are coming from and I always have those sorts of concerns with true crime sorts of books. With a local child, it hits even sharper. I like Cherokee, personally, so I tend to give her more the benefit of the doubt but, again, I hear you.

Do you actually know her? Does her being a nice person make it better or worse that she's getting paid to capitalize on this family's grief and then penning a 'tell-all' novella concerning what happened?

I read the story written by the judge in the case. . . It is harder for a judge.

Sure it is. Anyone around the family system knows that this kind of thing can happen. Given that the courts are forced to make so many decisions every single day, it's a statistical certainty that some decisions are wrong and that some of those decisions will lead to tragedy. The folks I work with who are on the bench or have been there are generally at peace with that.

The court system is a good one, but it's not a machine of precision. It is still inhibited by massively overcrowded dockets, human biases, fraudulent representations by parties, etc. We do the best with what we have. That's always been the Oklahoma way. Sometimes our best isn't good enough.

possumfritter
04-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Penny...what is the title of the Judges book?

possumfritter
04-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Midtowner...I have to agree with you, the dockets are indeed overcrowded. I check the OSCN almost daily for the number of new Divorce cases being filed, particularly those invoving children. It is staggering!!!

My concern is that when these individual cases come to Court, the Judge, having heard so many before, just pert much rubberstamps the orders and calls the next case. I am pert sure that is the way it is with one Judge...or was, because I believe she has moved out of Family Court. I know one Judge that hears Family/Divorce cases and he appears to hear everyone out before he makes is order. But, their are a couple Judges, it's more like an assembly line rather than a court room.

PennyQuilts
04-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Do you actually know her? Does her being a nice person make it better or worse that she's getting paid to capitalize on this family's grief and then penning a 'tell-all' novella concerning what happened?

Sure it is. Anyone around the family system knows that this kind of thing can happen. Given that the courts are forced to make so many decisions every single day, it's a statistical certainty that some decisions are wrong and that some of those decisions will lead to tragedy. The folks I work with who are on the bench or have been there are generally at peace with that.

The court system is a good one, but it's not a machine of precision. It is still inhibited by massively overcrowded dockets, human biases, fraudulent representations by parties, etc. We do the best with what we have. That's always been the Oklahoma way. Sometimes our best isn't good enough.

I don't know her well but she has worked with my husband and is always helpful, competent, friendly and down to earth. What I've seen I've appreciated.

And you are spot on with the description of the courts and it is that way, everywhere - not just Oklahoma. I used to tell my guardian ad litem parents that the court system is a poor substitute for families working correctly but it is all we have once that breaks down.

PennyQuilts
04-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Penny...what is the title of the Judges book?

Amazon.com: Deadly Game of Tug of War (9781600373114): Craig Key: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Game-Tug-War-Craig/dp/1600373119/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270580646&sr=8-1)

Here is a link on Amazon.

possumfritter
04-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Thank you Penny. Mixed reviews at Amazon. On my way to the Warr Acres Library...it's on the shelf.

PennyQuilts
04-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Thank you Penny. Mixed reviews at Amazon. On my way to the Warr Acres Library...it's on the shelf.

I'd loan you mine but the dog ate it.

possumfritter
04-14-2010, 07:50 PM
I just finished reading 'Who Killed Kelsey." I highly recommend this book to anyone that is interested in the details of what happened. It is very well written and easy to read. It is one of those kind of books that you can't put down ubtil your done. There were a couple of difficult chapters to get through...8 and 13. Let me just say they were heartbreaking.

I purchased the paperback because I wanted to read it now. I understand the hardback copies are available now. I also believe that both authors will be signing books sometime this weekend or next.

If you want more info, I think I have the right link:

Who Killed Kelsey? - Home (http://www.whokilledkelsey.com/)

possumfritter
04-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Child Abuse Prevention Day!
When: Saturday April 17 10am-3pm
Where: Woodland Park in Shawnee, OK (corner of Highland and Broadway) Home (http://www.kelseybriggsfoundation.org)

possumfritter
04-15-2010, 04:14 PM
"Who Killed Kelsey?" ranked No. 13 on Amazon.com today!

Midtowner
04-16-2010, 08:11 AM
That's a lot of money. Wow.

Dead babies = chaching.

possumfritter
04-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Midtowner...Actually, it is a good book. I also read Greg Key's book. "Who Killed Kelsey?" gets into the personal side, the raw emotions of what everyone involved was going through.

When you type in the word "caching," the first thing I think of is "broken families, custody battles, lawyers...big time CACHING!"

Midtowner
04-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Midtowner...Actually, it is a good book. I also read Greg Key's book. "Who Killed Kelsey?" gets into the personal side, the raw emotions of what everyone involved was going through.

When you type in the word "caching," the first thing I think of is "broken families, custody battles, lawyers...big time CACHING!"

I don't want to get too much into my philosophy in family law, but long story short, what you allege is simply not the case. Marriages end and sometimes kids are caught in the middle. There's a right way and a wrong way to go about getting your client on the right path to do the best job as a parent they can, and that's what I (and mostly everyone) try to do. And yes, I get paid for my trouble.

Now, if I wrote books for voyeuristic losers who wanted to get in touch with the drama and raw emotion involved in what should be a private family tragedy that I get to deal with as a matter of course, I'd be just as bad as these authors.

I don't put Judge Key's book into the same category. He donated all of his proceeds to charity. His book was written to explain how the system could let this happen -- to better the system by informing the public. This more recent book is purely (minus 10% or so) for profit.

possumfritter
04-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Hmmmmm...most likely you don't know the lawyers I have dealt with. The first one literally took my money and ran. The Oklahoma Bar can't even find him. The second one wanted to bring in all kinds of experts...unnecessary. The third one wanted way too much money. The fourth one...I'm waiting to see how she does.

Anyways...I do "hear" what you are saying, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Still, it's an excellent book.

Midtowner
04-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Hmmmmm...most likely you don't know the lawyers I have dealt with. The first one literally took my money and ran. The Oklahoma Bar can't even find him. The second one wanted to bring in all kinds of experts...unnecessary. The third one wanted way too much money. The fourth one...I'm waiting to see how she does.

Hard to second guess the last two. For one thing, experts are often the only way to overcome a he said/she said situation and often that is a costly proposition. As far as wanting "too much" money, it was obviously too much for you, but for someone else, that amount would be just right.

Anyways...I do "hear" what you are saying, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Still, it's an excellent book.

It may be a wonderful book. It's just morally repugnant. That's all. I think the same thing about 90% of the content of the Nancy Grace show.

possumfritter
04-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Journalists write book: "Who Killed Kelsey?" - Shawnee, OK - The Shawnee News-Star (http://www.news-star.com/topstories/x43853959/Journalists-write-book-about-child-abuse-case)

possumfritter
04-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Todays event in Shawnee will most likely be held indoors. If you plan on attending, go to 400 N.Bell, between 10:00 and 3:00.

Matt
04-17-2010, 09:29 AM

Here's the first thing that comes to my mind:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2rmqq2v.jpg

possumfritter
04-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Next signing: Kelsey Saturday, April 24th at Walmart in Moore starting at 10:00 am!

BailJumper
04-18-2010, 09:15 PM
I guess in Midtowner's opinion I'm a scumbag for buying the book and thus aiding in these author's profits? Midtowner, does your narrow mindedness extend to news programs like Dateline and 60 Minutes and the like that 'profit' from retelling tales of murder, child death and general mayhem? What about the local TV and print news media? How about history books that share their perspective of the slave trade, murderers or any event which caused others despair? Give me a break and try not to fall while coming down off your high horse.

Did it ever cross your mind that the book was a result of their reporting and that they felt strongly the whole story had not been properly told in 30 second TV news sound bites? Did it also ever occur to you that family members of Kelsey worked in cooperation with the authors and supported the books release.

Being that the book is self-published I highly doubt they wrote it because they thought they'd be cashing in on anything. The reality is they will most likely make very little money if any compared to the actual costs and time spent on the book.

Midtowner
04-19-2010, 12:37 AM
Slave trade = millions of lives directly affected. This book = less than 10 lives directly affected, the rest were affected via media voyeurism.

possumfritter
04-19-2010, 03:17 PM
If you would like to read some of the reviews of this book, go to:

Reviews - Who Killed Kelsey? (http://www.whokilledkelsey.com/reviews.html)

possumfritter
04-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Meet the authors for Kelsey Saturday at Bass Pro downtown Oklahoma City today from 10-2!

PennyQuilts
04-24-2010, 08:41 AM
I finished reading the book after having read the presiding Judge's book. Maybe it is because I am a lawyer who worked as a guardian ad litem but I had a difficult time not being put off by the authors' bias for/against certain individuals. Given that the mother and stepfather were both convicted of horrible crimes against this child, I understand that they aren't entitled to the benefit of the doubt - nor do I think they deserve it. However, even if that child had never been physically abused by anyone, she was going to be emotionally destroyed by the drama going on in both sides of that family. IMO.

I think the father's side of the family had good intentions but their own decisions and behavior contributed to the situation. They didn't create the abuse - god forbid - but they played lots of games that made them look bad, although I am sure they probably didn't realize it. I so wish they'd shown up for court to fight for custody when the child was returned to her mother. I am not picking on them - or at least not intending to. I guess I am just saddened that so many people don't understand the system and are their own worst enemy. I wish their lawyer (if they had one at that point) had been able to rein them in and give them different advice from time to time (assuming he didn't). And that would have taken it. But at the end of the day, a grandparent vs. a mother is going to have a tough time getting custody short of proven ongoing abuse. It sure looked to me like at least a protective order should have been in place but maybe there was one and I just didn't catch that from the book. I sure wish that child had been given over to the custody of her paternal grandmother.

The book contained a lot of incriminating comments about the judge. Other than the one given under oath by a police officer, it was unclear to me if any of the other alleged ex parte communications were investigated and verfied. As a guardian ad litem, I tend to take hearsay statements with a grain of salt because I heard whoppers all the time. It is not so much that people mean to lie so much as they hear one thing when something else entirely was said. Here is an actual (but typical) example:

Mother: The father is impossible to work with. He doesn't do anything he says he will and whenever he sees me, he starts screaming at me.
Me: Gosh, that is a shame. Have you two thought about going to counseling to help to communicate better? Even though you aren't together, you still have this child and will have to work with each other.
Mother: That's a good idea.

Later...

Father on telephone (yelling): Mother just called and told me that you said I needed to go to a counselor because I'm crazy! I'm not crazy! She just lies about me!

Sigh...

RIP, little darling.