View Full Version : Traffic Lights

sgray
04-04-2010, 08:39 PM
So what is up with the gradual re-programming of the traffic light delay times (to be S-L-O-W) at intersections throughout the city? I've noticed the changes take place over a period of time, starting last year. I'm primarily speaking of the sensor-based intersections where I've recently timed all the way up to 45 seconds after all four corners have turned red where there is nothing but a long a** hold. I've also noticed a great deal of sensor-based intersections where they might as well be time-only lights because they cycle through in a set order at times when there is NO ONE on the road, like in the middle of the night--lights that have always been sensor-type and fairly quick/efficient.

As if it's not bad enough having so many intersections with lights everywhere, now coupled with these changes???

What say the city about this?

Larry OKC
04-04-2010, 08:53 PM
There was a recent article talking about this (last week?) that the city is gradually upgrading all of the traffic signals to be "smart" ones...will try to find and post...

Larry OKC
04-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Oklahoma City’s traffic link project gets a green light again
Wi-Fi will connect 700-plus signals on city roads for shorter stop times (Oklahoman 3/29/10)

An upgrade that would link and coordinate all of Oklahoma City’s traffic lights to cut down on commute times has fallen behind schedule, but will begin this summer, city officials said.

Staff members had originally hoped to have the project done by the end of 2009. Public Works Director Dennis Clowers said putting together a plan and soliciting proposals from contractors who could implement the project has been far more complicated than expected.

"We were a little premature with that time frame,” Clowers said. "It has taken us significantly longer to get to this stage.”

The system will link traffic lights through a citywide wireless Internet network. The network was installed years ago for use by police and firefighters.

"It will be the largest Wi-Fi implementation of this type in the world,” Clowers said. "It will involve all 700-plus traffic signals in the city.”

Other cities have linked a couple of dozen lights, but nothing approaching the scale of Oklahoma City’s plan.

City Manager Jim Couch said the public safety Wi-Fi network is the key to the project. Few cities have a similar network in place.

"We didn’t have to duplicate those communication costs,” Couch said.

Clowers compared it to an air traffic control system at an airport.

All lights will send information to a central hub, which will coordinate the lights to give motorists more green lights and shorter wait times when they do hit a red light.

City officials estimate motorists will see 5 percent fewer red lights and 5 percent shorter wait times at red lights once the upgrade is finished.

"It will also allow for automatic error reporting,” Clowers said. "We can bring up any individual intersection at the central headquarters and see exactly how that intersection is functioning at any time.”

Money for the project comes from the last voter-approved general obligation bond issue. Clowers said he won’t know the exact cost for the upgrade until a contract is awarded, but he expects it could cost between $8 million and $10 million.

The city sent out a request for proposals from contractors in December. Four companies responded. The city finished interviewing those contractors Thursday.

"We will select one, two, three or possibly all four to do an installation on selected corridors in April or May then have demonstrations in June and award a contract in August,” Clowers said. "The installation will be made over a three-year period.”

mobstam
04-04-2010, 09:17 PM
I really think the city should consider having the traffic lights at some of the less heavily traveled intersections throughout the city turn to blinking yellow lights (in one direction) and blinking red lights (in the other direction) after a certain time each night (say 10 or 11 o'clock). I think doing so would increase convenience and decrease (albeit minimally) fuel consumption as well by eliminating having to stop at and idling at empty intersections.

sgray
04-04-2010, 09:56 PM
So is the new goal to be able to take short naps at each intersection?

OKCisOK4me
04-04-2010, 11:16 PM
I was sitting at the traffic light by the Hawthorne Suites today going eastbound on NW Expressway and we were just sitting there FOREVER! No traffic coming from any other directions. I think they still have a few kinks to get out...

Larry OKC
04-04-2010, 11:20 PM

According to the article, you should be taking 5% fewer naps and they will be 5% shorter...LOL

LakeEffect
04-05-2010, 05:59 AM
The project has not been implemented yet - the changes sgray is seeing are system faults, not programmed changes. The problem with sensors is that, once one of the loops is broken, the signal switches to a timed default. If nearby construction (such as NW Expressway) has broken a loop, the signal will then start operating as a timed signal.

OKCTalker
04-05-2010, 08:29 AM
According to the article, you should be taking 5% fewer naps and they will be 5% shorter...LOL

I've been able to send 20% more text messages than usual!

metro
04-05-2010, 08:37 AM
I've noticed it too at numerous intersections. I'll be waiting there forever, even if no one is around. Ridiculous.

fuzzytoad
04-05-2010, 08:44 AM
It seems like its getting worse every week at almost every intersection in the city.

Its almost like someone is intentionally screwing them up so that if they ever go back to normal(or even somewhat improve), someone can declare his or her project a "success"

OKCisOK4me
04-05-2010, 09:40 AM
I have a suggestion. We could all drive slower than whatever the speed limit is where ever you are & that should allow for no wait times cause you'll magically catch the cycles. J/K... I can't stand Sunday drivers--even on Sundays!

mmonroe
04-05-2010, 10:06 AM
I have to sit and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and i eventually, check for cross traffic, cops, and then go.

Dave Cook
04-05-2010, 01:49 PM
This is such a timely thread. I was just telling someone today about how great the traffic signals are in Oklahoma City. I always thought we had the best system I've ever seen. Albuquerque and Houston have the worst traffic light system I've ever encountered.

Here in Okinawa, they have no trigger system at all. Red lights are the norm and you'll be idling for 3 minutes with no traffic from either direction. Ridiculous.

mobstam
04-05-2010, 02:56 PM
I think that the city should consider having blinking yellow lights (in one direction) and blinking red lights (in the other direction) at the less heavily traveled intersections throughout the city every night, say past 10 or 11 o'clock (and arranging them so that the bigger, more busy streets get the blinking yellow lights). I've been to a few cities that do this and I think that it really makes traveling late at night more convenient and probably wastes less gas for the drivers.

Kerry
04-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Do any of you ever encounter a green light at any time?

fuzzytoad
04-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Do any of you ever encounter a green light at any time?

Never.. I get around the city using nothing but right turns at intersections.

Kerry
04-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Never.. I get around the city using nothing but right turns at intersections.

lol - somone that drives like I do. Red lights are for suckers. Just because somone puts up a red light everyone thinks they have to stop.

They should try that on Survivor. Just put a stop light in the jungle on the trail to the water hole and see if the contestants will stop when it turns red. If they do stop then see how long they stand there.

NikonNurse
04-06-2010, 02:46 PM

Or play words with friends on your respective device.