View Full Version : Genetically created significant others

SoundMind
02-19-2005, 10:38 PM
I operate a research lab at the OU Health Sciences Center. So, this explains the thread topic.

What would you think if research allowed you to create designer significant others? In other words, you pick the hair color, chest size, height, eye color, etc.
I suppose this would sort of resemnle Stepford Wives, only instead of robots, these would be real humans.

mranderson
02-20-2005, 12:27 AM
I think they call that a designer baby. I would rather do it the old fashioned way. Let nature take it's course.

dirtrider73068
02-20-2005, 11:49 AM
That would be nice but htne you would have gus tring to build and out do each other wiht who can create the best woman. Thw woman may act the same way, it would be nice to have that picture perfect person but then it wouldn't be the same as finding the at right one and gettingthat magical feeling when meeting that right person either. It would have its ups and downs of course but I would opt to find my other then create it.

windowphobe
02-20-2005, 06:49 PM
If you could program the things she is, rather than the things she looks like, I might be interested. Otherwise, I pass.

Midtowner
02-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Would raise some interesting ethical questions.

Also, what would guarantee that she would be faithful?

Zoedith
02-20-2005, 08:31 PM
I had a fiance pass away a few years ago, and this idea crossed my mind.

People are not a simple blue print. They are created by their surroundings and upbringing. Just by picking their appearance you can not ensure that that person will be compatable or likeable. Even if you could pick their personality traits there are so many factors that come into play. In the case of my fiance, using his DNA would not guarentee that the person created would be the same. Creating his exact childhood is impossible.

This scenerio also leaves out some of the fun of dating, the getting to know someone and loving their flaws and imperfections.