View Full Version : R.I.P. Bob Riggins

RealJimbo
04-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Yesterday the greater Oklahoma City area lost a legend in the world of AM Radio. Bob Riggins passed away, it is my understanding, from lung cancer. Bob had the smoothest, most welcoming voice I guess I've ever heard. I became a fan of his in about 1967, listening to KTOK radio 1000 throughout the work day. Back then the format was pop music - Sinatra, Mills Brothers, Vic Damone, etc. They had features from time to time, such as The Adventures of Chicken Man (syndicated nationally), but most content was local.

Bob had the morning drive program which usually include Captain Jim Purdue in Red Rover for traffic. I think they even operated an airplane for a while, so traffic jams could be observed from the air. Every day Bob poured a cup of "delicious Cain's coffee" near the microphone so that we coffee drinkers just couldn't resist getting a cup of our own.

Bob continued at KTOK long after it made the transition to talk radio and got us to work uncounted times before he hung it up. He has been missed ever since but now there is a pronounced void where that golden voice should be.

buckt
04-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Yesterday the greater Oklahoma City area lost a legend in the world of AM Radio. Bob Riggins passed away, it is my understanding, from lung cancer. Bob had the smoothest, most welcoming voice I guess I've ever heard. I became a fan of his in about 1967, listening to KTOK radio 1000 throughout the work day. Back then the format was pop music - Sinatra, Mills Brothers, Vic Damone, etc. They had features from time to time, such as The Adventures of Chicken Man (syndicated nationally), but most content was local.

Bob had the morning drive program which usually include Captain Jim Purdue in Red Rover for traffic. I think they even operated an airplane for a while, so traffic jams could be observed from the air. Every day Bob poured a cup of "delicious Cain's coffee" near the microphone so that we coffee drinkers just couldn't resist getting a cup of our own.

Bob continued at KTOK long after it made the transition to talk radio and got us to work uncounted times before he hung it up. He has been missed ever since but now there is a pronounced void where that golden voice should be.

I'm kind of new to the area and have not heard of this gentleman. Thank you for giving up insight to who he was. Sounds like he will be missed!

oneforone
04-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Bob Riggins brings back memories of waking up in the morning over at my grandparents house. My grandpa listened to KTOK religiously from 6AM to 7pm.

At 7pm it was WKY (Back when it was Stereo 930) KXY or KEBC.

I always liked his opening line.. "Top of the Mornin' to you..... "