View Full Version : Why no development on I-240 Corridor?

G.Walker
03-30-2010, 08:47 AM
I travel on I-240 on a daily basis, and see that there is prime real estate for commercial and industrial development in that area. But I don't understand why there are no companies taking advantage of this area. Now I am not talking about the I-240 corridor from I-35 to May Ave, that area is already developed. I am talking about from Post Rd. to I-35, this portion of I-240 has dense traffic on a daily basis, and you would think companies would take advantage of this area, but so far they haven't. There are only a few companies and hotels in this area. This area could be bustling with new hotels, restaurants, and low-rise office buildings, so why hasn't anyone took advantage of this area, your thoughts?

mugofbeer
03-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Well, right now there's no development much of anywhere because developers can't get financing. Secondly, you have a failed GM (yes, I know the Air Force is using it now) and a failed Crossroads mall just down the hiway. Development feeds off itself and when you have a failed project nearby, its going to be very hard to attract new development. Third, hiway traffic doesn't necessarily translate into development. Its nearby population and the wealth of the nearby population. I don't see enough of that to warrant much in that zone. Location, Location, Location.

OKCTalker
03-30-2010, 09:58 AM
There are fewer residents east of I-35 who would support retail businesses, and Crossroads serves as an eastern boundary to what is more successful to the west. Kind of like a geographic boundary that no-one wants to go beyond.

adaniel
03-30-2010, 10:08 AM
The development of the MWC Town Center and the Riverwalk in Moore will probably discourage any new development along 240 for some time. Also, there could be some encroachment issues with Tinker depending on where you build.

Spartan
03-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Far SW OKC's zip code, 73170, is the highest income zip code in the metro.

Caboose
03-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Two words - Mount Trashmore

dmoor82
03-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Didnt they just build a new hospital on Sooner and I-240!and a Budweiser facility a while ago! and lots,and lots of resedential neiborhoods right off The highway!

oneforone
03-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Why do we need to develop every square inch of the metro? I say leave the area as it is and use it as wildlife refuge and rural city park. I would much rather see blighted areas redeveloped before we develop the open areas.

Besides didn't the city plan for a sister lake for Draper. It was supposed to be part of a flood control project for that area and a secondary water source for drinking water for further city growth.

dmoor82
03-30-2010, 10:28 AM
I heard That around Draper was to be a golf course and high-end residential!thats why they paved streets around Draper??? just what I heard from a resident around there! but this was years ago!

G.Walker
03-30-2010, 10:32 AM
This area has a nice suburban district arount Sooner Rd., Post Rd., low rise office buildings and restaurants will do good in this area, more development, more development!

Spartan
03-30-2010, 11:11 AM
This area has a nice suburban district arount Sooner Rd., Post Rd., low rise office buildings and restaurants will do good in this area, more development, more development!

No.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
03-30-2010, 11:53 AM

I would say the nice suburban district is between around Sunny and Sooner (and why? Because I live here and I know!). With the new Heart Hospital there is prime real estate just laying wide open across the street. Many new jobs have come or are coming to this area, and I scratch my head as to why there are not more eating choices for example (if staff wants to go to lunch, they can go to McD's, Popeye's, Sonic, or Billy Craig's BBQ - hardly a lunch, especially for staff at a heart hospital!). Also we are in a grocery desert, as they call it. The land lease signs are up, just no takers at this time (unless someone knows something I don't?)

I just hope when the economy picks back up that those empty lots across from the hospital will fill soon. I think there is great potential!

venture
03-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Why do we need to develop every square inch of the metro? I say leave the area as it is and use it as wildlife refuge and rural city park. I would much rather see blighted areas redeveloped before we develop the open areas.

Besides didn't the city plan for a sister lake for Draper. It was supposed to be part of a flood control project for that area and a secondary water source for drinking water for further city growth.

Definitely agree. Urban sprawl away from the core needs to stop...but it won't. Thanks to Memorial and other areas on the fringes. I will say Moore and Norman have done a decent job from keeping things going to crazy, but even now they are starting to spread out more.

earlywinegareth
03-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Compared to 10 years ago, there's been a ton of development in that area, mostly from Air Depot to Sunnylane on the south side of I-240...residential, industrial, and hospitality. There's Mid-America industrial park, and the heart hospital just opened recently. A lot of the traffic thru there is commuter and they aren't in a mood to stop til they get home. Still, I could see a Cracker Barrel & Braum's doing well along there.

mmonroe
03-30-2010, 06:48 PM
There is plenty of failed development as well. Joe Atkinson is selling off a lot of the land over there he was going to develop but never got the funding for. Check out the site: North Sar Companies, LLC, Dominus, LLC, Dominus Construction,Copper Creek Market Place, Tinker (http://www.nsxco.com/)

G.Walker
03-31-2010, 07:06 AM
Exactly, you have your general fast food places, but you don't have any nice sit down restaurants in that area. Middle-Class family oriented restaurants will do go in this area, like a Cheddar's, Red Robin, or Chilli's. Also a Wal-Mart will do good in that location, there is not a Wal-Mart in like a 5 mile radius of that area.

G.Walker
03-31-2010, 07:08 AM
I would say the nice suburban district is between around Sunny and Sooner (and why? Because I live here and I know!). With the new Heart Hospital there is prime real estate just laying wide open across the street. Many new jobs have come or are coming to this area, and I scratch my head as to why there are not more eating choices for example (if staff wants to go to lunch, they can go to McD's, Popeye's, Sonic, or Billy Craig's BBQ - hardly a lunch, especially for staff at a heart hospital!). Also we are in a grocery desert, as they call it. The land lease signs are up, just no takers at this time (unless someone knows something I don't?)

I just hope when the economy picks back up that those empty lots across from the hospital will fill soon. I think there is great potential!

A Walgreen's or a CVS will always do good next to a hospital.

ronronnie1
03-31-2010, 09:35 AM

OMG I'm agreeing with you totally here. Somebody please shoot me. Seriously though, yeah, develop the inner ring FIRST! Enough of this damn suburban sprawl! This is one aspect that Okc most certainly shouldn't emulate Dallas aka 50 suburbs strung together with no real city.

G.Walker
03-31-2010, 09:51 AM
OMG I'm agreeing with you totally here. Somebody please shoot me. Seriously though, yeah, develop the inner ring FIRST! Enough of this damn suburban sprawl! This is one aspect that Okc most certainly shouldn't emulate Dallas aka 50 suburbs strung together with no real city.

I disagree, in order to have a strong urban core, you have to have a strong suburban core to support it. We need more development in our "bedroom" cities around OKC. Every city with a strong urban core, has a strong suburban core, i.e. Austin.

ssandedoc
03-31-2010, 09:54 AM

They have their own cafeteria which makes wonderful food. A lot of employees just eat there because they get a discount too.

G.Walker
03-31-2010, 09:55 AM

Edmond, Norman, Moore, Midwest City residents pour more money into the OKC's economy then OKC residents. These cities have a big influence on sales tax in OKC, which will go to fund the MAPS3 projects!

fromdust
03-31-2010, 05:17 PM
Far SW OKC's zip code, 73170, is the highest income zip code in the metro.

where do you get that info from?

mmonroe
03-31-2010, 05:59 PM

If you look at the Copper Creek plans, the building next to Mickey D's was to be a pharmacy.

where do you get that info from?

73170 is the zip with the most money! I work for one of the Odoms, between Rivendell and the Chatney Square area, this is one of the more populated high income areas.

Welcome to P.B. Odom (http://www.pbodom.com/html/riven.html)

fromdust
03-31-2010, 07:50 PM
73170 is the zip with the most money! I work for one of the Odoms, between Rivendell and the Chatney Square area, this is one of the more populated high income areas.

Welcome to P.B. Odom (http://www.pbodom.com/html/riven.html)

i guess its up on the charts.Highest income zip codes in OKLAHOMA (http://wealth.mongabay.com/cities/OKLAHOMA.html)

jbrown84
03-31-2010, 07:56 PM
Edmond, Norman, Moore, Midwest City residents pour more money into the OKC's economy then OKC residents. These cities have a big influence on sales tax in OKC, which will go to fund the MAPS3 projects!

The area you are talking about is mostly in OKC (some of it Del City). OKC as a city has a responsibility to control it's growth by not letting sprawl happen within its limits. It can't control what Midwest City, Edmond, and Moore do, though.

ljbab728
03-31-2010, 10:14 PM
The area you are talking about is mostly in OKC (some of it Del City). OKC as a city has a responsibility to control it's growth by not letting sprawl happen within its limits. It can't control what Midwest City, Edmond, and Moore do, though.

That's exactly why I keep telling Kevin in other threads that deannexation by OKC is no solution to anything.

rcjunkie
04-01-2010, 03:22 AM

Drugstores could not survive just on hospital patients/traffic, they need large numbers of nearby residents which this area does not presently have.

mmonroe
04-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Drugstores could not survive just on hospital patients/traffic, they need large numbers of nearby residents which this area does not presently have.

Your kidding right? This area has no large number of nearby residents?