View Full Version : FireFox Crashing - Is This Common?

RealJimbo
03-29-2010, 10:50 AM
My FireFox browser has begun crashing frequently since the last update. Is this common? Is there something I can do to fix it?

Better yet, do you recommend another browser?

adaniel
03-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Yes! Mine has been crashing on an almost daily basis this past 2 weeks. I've always been a firefox fan but I may be bailing to Google Chrome here shortly. I'm interested to hear what some of the possible causes are.

mmonroe
03-29-2010, 11:57 AM
I too updated and have had numerous crashes.

RealJimbo
03-29-2010, 01:20 PM
So it's not just me. Strangely not real comforting. I may try Google Chrome as well. IE just doesn't perform as well as FireFox (usually) but I haven't tried Chrome yet.

Any input for Chrome?

kevinpate
03-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Haven't noticed any FF issues. Tried Chrome, dinna care for it. If I am not using FF, I use, and like Opera.

I do care for IE. To the point I will not open IE unless where I need to be absolutely will not function otherwise. Even then, I engage in a level of thought on whether I really need to go to that spot or whether I can forego it. Probably a bit overboard, but I'm fine with that.

windowphobe
03-29-2010, 06:13 PM
I've had two crashes under 3.6.2, which is admittedly two more than I had under 3.6.1.

Considering how many versions of 3.0.0 there were - I quit counting after 18 - I suspect that there will be an update out shortly.

In the meantime, I intend to treat all the New! Groovy! Features! as Not Ready for Prime Time until 3.7/4.0 shows up.

flintysooner
03-29-2010, 06:24 PM
No 3.6.2 crashes on any of our machines. Chrome is pretty good I thought but stayed with Fire Fox for reasons I've forgotten.

Actually we did have one Mac where FF 3.6.2 crashed once just after update but no crashes since.

bradzilla
03-29-2010, 06:28 PM
same, its getting to the point where IE was much more stable. i'm getting very tempted to switch back.

mmonroe
03-29-2010, 08:04 PM
IE may be stable, but it's still vulnerable to attack. Didn't care for chrome. I think I may try Opera.

Thunder
03-30-2010, 12:49 AM
Crashes for me and I'm fed up with the almost-daily updates. I say the FF browser is run by a bunch of kids now. Lets switch to Netscape!

fuzzytoad
03-30-2010, 06:36 AM
Crashes for me and I'm fed up with the almost-daily updates. I say the FF browser is run by a bunch of kids now. Lets switch to Netscape!

I've had zero crashes in FF for, well, years.. I'm also not getting "almost-daily" updates..

It looks to me like some of you are using lots of plugins/extensions that are causing instability with FF. Especially with the "almost-daily updates" comment, there'd be no other reason you'd even see those.

try disabling them, or removing the altogether..

oh! and if you haven't already done so, disable the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant add-on that M$ forces you to install(If you're using windows).. it's sole purpose is to make FF unstable.

bandnerd
03-30-2010, 08:44 AM
I have no problems at home or at work, and have 3.6.2 on both machines.

Many things crash on my work computer (mostly server issues and Adobe overload) but almost never Firefox.

hipsterdoofus
03-30-2010, 10:12 AM
I've used FF from the early days and rarely ever experience crashes. I'm on 3.6.2 now. Thinking of checking out Chrome as it gets more developed. I have it but it isn't quite where I want it yet.

Bunty
03-30-2010, 12:09 PM
As much as some people love Apple, I'm surprised that Safari hasn't been mentioned. But I use IE since it's still pretty popular and does my web pages best. I sometimes use Firefox with no problems other than the occasional update. Firefox is pretty good for its bigger selection of plugins and add ons.

gmwise
03-30-2010, 12:19 PM
I use Opera, follow by Chrome, IE, I havent use safari or Firefox much.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers

Thunder
03-30-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm not using plugins.

fuzzytoad
03-30-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm not using plugins.

then you've got spyware or adware infecting your system... There's absolutely no reason why you'd be getting "almost-daily" update requests using a vanilla Firefox build...

Thunder
03-31-2010, 01:12 AM
"almost-daily" was exaggerating because of how constant the updates was.

skyrick
03-31-2010, 05:11 AM
Firefox never crashes on my computers. But then, I use Macs, not Windoze machines.

Bunty
03-31-2010, 07:27 AM
then you've got spyware or adware infecting your system... There's absolutely no reason why you'd be getting "almost-daily" update requests using a vanilla Firefox build...

Microsoft Security Essentials is supposed to be a pretty good to combat that stuff, considering it's free. Meanwhile, if you don't use AOL, you can still stay away from it. AOL 9.5 can still freeze or crash. They'll never fix it after all these years. lol

hipsterdoofus
03-31-2010, 10:26 AM
Bleh - I tried safari when they first came out with the windows version recently...worked like crap. I've not found a reason to switch to something other than Firefox since I started using it several years ago.

skyrick
03-31-2010, 04:47 PM
Bleh - I tried safari when they first came out with the windows version recently...worked like crap. I've not found a reason to switch to something other than Firefox since I started using it several years ago.

Safari sucks, that's why I use Firefox on both of my Macs.

hipsterdoofus
04-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Safari sucks, that's why I use Firefox on both of my Macs.

Yeah my wife had a mac for her teaching job several years ago. It was foreign to her, so the first thing I did was install Firefox and Open Office on it - she was much happier.

demoman2k10
04-25-2010, 05:04 AM
As of late crashing seems to be a very freq occurrence. HOWEVER!! It could be due to a Faulty PLUGIN.. Make sure they are all updated. And try going thru them and disabling them one at a time and see if you can track down the bad one. BETA version of Firefox is out right now that will allow the Faulty Plugin to Crash and not the browser so may want to check that out as well.

ShiroiHikari
04-30-2010, 01:39 PM
I haven't had a Firefox crash in years, yet my friends all constantly complain about how slow and unstable it is. Could it be due to the fact that I use AdBlock Plus, so I don't have to deal with stupid intrusive Flash ads? Back before I started using it, it seemed like anything made with Flash would bog down FF. I can't imagine having several tabs open all with Flash ads plastered all over them.

kevinpate
04-30-2010, 01:44 PM
No issues on FF at home. Do see a lockup issue on a friend's computer. Haven't figured out what the cause is yet, but it won't stay open but 7-12 minutes and then the whole system locks.

Took it down, and do a new install, twice, but no joy as yet. Thank goodness for Opera.

RealJimbo
04-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Found out my FF crashes were related to corrupted memory that was also causing blue screen errors. All fixed now and no more FF crashes.

demoman2k10
05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
FF crashing has been attributed to some of the Plugin's they have released a BETA that doesn't crash when a plug in does. Also some area saying that the .net plug in is the culprit... So good place to start is turning on and off plug in's and other things until you find the one and isolate it. Or get the BETA that's out.