View Full Version : Commuteless + Running Trail Req!

Casey
03-26-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm moving to OKC in July, and need to find somewhere to live.

I have a couple requirements that I'm looking for, and would like your input on cities that fit the bill:

1) <15 minute commute to Tinker AFB, even during rush hour.
2) Nice running trail very nearby. Where I'm currently living I have to get in my car and drive in order to go running. Seems a bit counterintuitive. Bonus points for having a running trail along the water.
3) Close to a downtown area. I've lived in the burbs for so long that I'd love to be able to have a restaurant/bar/shopping area nearby.

I'm also looking for a house, not a condo.

oktober969
04-04-2010, 10:42 AM
IF you need to be by Tinker, you are looking at the Midwest City/Del City area, Moore, or South OKC. Some of the neighborhood parks have running trails, but you are more likely to find a nice surface street for running if you don't want to drive anywhere. You will not meet requirement #1 if you live downtown OKC and 'downtown' anywere else is the burbs. GL in your search.

Midtowner
04-04-2010, 01:50 PM
IF you need to be by Tinker, you are looking at the Midwest City/Del City area, Moore, or South OKC. Some of the neighborhood parks have running trails, but you are more likely to find a nice surface street for running if you don't want to drive anywhere. You will not meet requirement #1 if you live downtown OKC and 'downtown' anywere else is the burbs. GL in your search.

Lots of folks run in downtown OKC. I've never been a runner (knees), but when I lived downtown, I used to take nice long walks every morning. I'd walk from my old apartments at Sycamore Square, down Park Ave, down to Bricktown (whatever that street north of Sheridan is), down to the canal, all the way around the canal, back on Sheridan, through the Myriad Gardens, then up Walker, back to R.S. Kerr, thence home.

Go early enough in the morning and there's really no traffic, the homeless people leave you alone. Since moving to the burbs, I really do miss the scenery on my daily walks.

Casey
06-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Alright, so I didn't quite meet the criteria I was looking for.

I looked at a few houses in Midwest City area, and didn't find anything I liked.

I ended up in Edmond, which is definitely not <15 minutes from the base. I drove it in 25 mins during non-rush hour.

Guess you can't always find exactly what you're looking for.

Spartan
06-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Edmond will be at least an hour during rush hour, and is not near downtown. There might have been some potential to meet all your requirements in Lincoln's Terrace by the Capitol, though it's expensive..

xoxotiffanynicole
06-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Edmond is NOT a hour during rush hour. It's 35mins at the MOST. I drive it every morning and every evening.
You could have tried looking in the Choctaw and Shawnee area.

Casey
06-09-2010, 06:32 PM
I work long ass days, so I wont be travelling during rush hour.

Spartan - where were you three months ago? Dang.