View Full Version : Having trouble finding Passover goods?

JerzeeGrlinOKC
03-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Not sure which thread to post this on, and maybe this is more of a gripe than a question, but we're having much trouble finding passover items (i.e. Matzoh and other items kosher for Passover). I guess I'm not shocked, but anyhow. For those of you who don't know, Passover starts Monday evening. We have been to three grocery stores in the metro area before giving up and calling the local Reform temple, Temple B'Nai Israel (they are so nice and helpful!) and they told us next time you need to shop early because only two stores really carry anything, the Crest on Rockwell and Homeland on May (they are probably out by now). Or they said, better yet, like most people in the OKC metro, go to Dallas to stock up.

I just feel like if there are enough people that have to go to Dallas to get these items (or that have to go to Dallas to get anything for that matter that they can't get in the metro) that somebody would make some arrangements to stock up on items that people need. Supply and demand right? I know its not that simple, but still...

Oh well I guess there is also purchasing things online ahead of time. Arg!!!

:fighting3

MsDarkstar
03-26-2010, 07:33 PM
You might try Homeland on 104th & S. Penn. When it was Albertson's they usually had a small selection of kosher items. I've also found matzoh at Atkin's on 63rd & May & at the Crest in Moore before. You might also try one of the International grocery stores. There's one in Norman, or give Oma's Pantry (23rd & Council) a call.

possumfritter
03-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Is it possible Wal-Mart has overlooked this?????

bluedogok
03-27-2010, 12:35 PM
I think Crescent Market has typically carried quite a few items in the past, that is where my friends bought theirs.

ksearls
03-27-2010, 12:53 PM
The Homeland at north May and Britton has a large section just across from the veggies.

metro
03-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Yes, as ksearls said, I've seen a Kosher selection at that Homeland on May and Britton. I've also seen some at SuperTarget and even walmart.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
03-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks guys!

I did end up finding a decent selection at the Homeland on May and Britton, everything was kosher for passover (some items that are kosher are not necessarily kosher for passover), they even had a special wall of Matzoh! And they had egg Matzoh, which is great, because honestly, regular Matzoh is really blah IMO.

possumfritter, I don't shop at Walmart so its possible that one of the stores carries products too, if I couldn't find it at the rest I guess I would have dragged myself to enter the blue and white beast, although the people we talked to didn't mention a Walmart that reliably stocked the items.

Now they have to work on getting a decent selection at a store on southside/Norman because that was quite a schlep! :Smiley199 or maybe I'm the only Jewish person in far SE OKC, I dunno...

JerzeeGrlinOKC
03-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Yes, as ksearls said, I've seen a Kosher selection at that Homeland on May and Britton. I've also seen some at SuperTarget and even walmart.

SuperTarget northside? Or Norman?

JerzeeGrlinOKC
03-27-2010, 03:47 PM
You might try Homeland on 104th & S. Penn. When it was Albertson's they usually had a small selection of kosher items. I've also found matzoh at Atkin's on 63rd & May & at the Crest in Moore before. You might also try one of the International grocery stores. There's one in Norman, or give Oma's Pantry (23rd & Council) a call.

Oh hmm the Homeland in SW side? I'll look for it if I'm there, that's not quite so far. I've not seen anything at the Crest in Moore recently. I was just there about a month ago. I didn't ask though. Will make a note. Thanks.

gen70
03-27-2010, 11:00 PM
I remember when my step-gradfather had to have "bagels" shipped to OK from NY city back in the sixties. Kinda weird..Jewish and Irish grand parents in Ardmore Ok.. Maurice Bridge was not a practicing jew but. did wear a skull cap at Christmas.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
03-28-2010, 07:37 AM
I remember when my step-gradfather had to have "bagels" shipped to OK from NY city back in the sixties. Kinda weird..Jewish and Irish grand parents in Ardmore Ok.. Maurice Bridge was not a practicing jew but. did wear a skull cap at Christmas.

Was he wearing the yarmulke (skull cap) for Hanukkah by chance?

I'm tempted to ship bagels here from NY anyhow (Old School does a decent job though).

You'd be surprised where you find Jewish populations in the US. We're at least in every major city and then some. Just not too many of us in some places ;-).

I did find a neat link to some of OK's Jewish history from the OK Historical Society: JEWS (http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/J/JE009.html). Says the first congregation started in 1890 in Ardmore.

gen70
03-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Was he wearing the yarmulke (skull cap) for Hanukkah by chance?

I'm tempted to ship bagels here from NY anyhow (Old School does a decent job though).

You'd be surprised where you find Jewish populations in the US. We're at least in every major city and then some. Just not too many of us in some places ;-).

I did find a neat link to some of OK's Jewish history from the OK Historical Society: JEWS (http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/J/JE009.html). Says the first congregation started in 1890 in Ardmore. Don't know about the cap thingy and will check out the link. Thanks! (By the way, my wife is from Jersey)

possumfritter
03-28-2010, 11:09 AM
I did find a neat link to some of OK's Jewish history from the OK Historical Society: JEWS (http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/J/JE009.html). Says the first congregation started in 1890 in Ardmore.

JerzeeGrl,

Have you ever researched the Jewish history in SC? Fascinating. I miss my ole Jewish friends, Ben and Ros, back in Sumter, SC. :-(

Edmond_Outsider
03-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Walmart does carry a small amount of Kosher foods but having never particapated in those rites, I wouldn't know how to rate the quality. I'm trying to remember what they call the section you find it in. I know on the rare occasion I can find tahini, it's around the kosher stuff.

mark
04-05-2010, 01:23 PM
been to that homeland. they also had quite a selection of items in the dairy and freezer sections. i remember seeing miller's cheese. picked up farmers cheese and made blintzes the last time i was there. homemade blintzes are the best.

as for bagels, there's a bagel place on hefner and may with ny style bagels. best i've had since leaving ft lauderdale!

scootinger
04-05-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm not Jewish, but do any stores here carry the "Kosher for Passover" Coke? It's made with sugar (instead of corn syrup) and I know that it's commonly sold in cities with large Jewish populations...but I'm not sure about OKC.