View Full Version : Gardening Thread

Pages : [1] 2

rondvu
03-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Thought and suggestions on a gardening thread?

fire121
03-24-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm in.

ewoodard
03-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Same here. Really could use some tips and tricks for my garden.

gmwise
03-26-2010, 12:59 PM
I have a few questions maybe someone can help.
I used to use shredded newspapers as compost.
Is the Oklahoman safe to use? (ie biodegradable ink and so forth)
And does anyone use a local reputable top soil company/person?
Thanks all.

Thunder
03-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks all.

The Oklahoman papers was rated very high in radioactive found in the ink they uses.

gmwise
03-26-2010, 03:46 PM
The Oklahoman papers was rated very high in radioactive found in the ink they uses.

well thank gawd i did that in California and not here.

FFLady
03-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Definitely FOR IT!!

bandnerd
03-30-2010, 09:24 AM

Source?

ewoodard
03-30-2010, 10:30 AM
I've been having problems with tomatoes. I can't get them to put on, and when they do they don't get very big, and what varieties does anyone suggest?

gmwise
03-30-2010, 12:09 PM
I've been having problems with tomatoes. I can't get them to put on, and when they do they don't get very big, and what varieties does anyone suggest?

Last year we tried that gawd awful topsy turvy bag.
It would grow maybe 4 feet, then gave up 2 tomatoes as small as cherry ones from a beefsteak plant.
We shall see this year what happens.
Good luck to us all.

On a earlier note, I received an email saying its (the Oklahoman) printed with soy based ink.
Thanks Bobbie @ the Oklahoman for getting a answer.
Saying that it doesnt speak on its suitability of it as composting material.
Anyone can help?

Edmond_Outsider
03-30-2010, 12:38 PM
I think it's ok as long as you don't use the editorial page...

Anybody have any experince fighting leaf spot on tomato plants? It's been plaguing me for the past few years.

ALso, heat resistant tomato varieties. Last June killed my early crop.

gmwise
03-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Someone told me dont use the colored ink pages...
No idea how that works..

ewoodard
03-31-2010, 11:19 AM
I tried that too. The plant grew great but only put on three tomatoes that were eaten by the birds before they ripened.

Hammondjam
04-04-2010, 05:37 PM
I've done the upside down method for growing tomatoes too. Two years of it with less than a dozen fruits for my trouble. My wife's thinking is that it's not for this region. The roots get way too hot in our summer sun and the water dripping down the stalk and leaves just begs for disease.

Don't waste your time and money! :doh:

gmwise
04-06-2010, 05:17 AM
I was told I needed to fil the thing with soil and SOAK the soil...
if its dripping its over watered..lol
OH and i needed to hang it way up on a pole...good grief.

Hammondjam
04-06-2010, 05:38 AM
Soaking the soil in a container that has a hole in the bottom without it running out through that hole is quite a difficult task.

I think that in areas where the summer sun doesn't get so brutal, the idea could work. I'm back to planting them in the ground, this year. Using three heirloom varieties. Can't wait to see how they taste!

gmwise
04-06-2010, 05:46 AM
^same here

I'm also planting 3 rows of various veggies for the Food Bank.

rondvu
04-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Anyone in need of plants or have plants to give away. I just has a friend come over and I loaded them up with a box of iris, rubeckia and day lilies. Try recycling your unwanted plants. I have even put a box or two on the curb and marked free plants and they are always picked up within a short time.

nik4411
04-06-2010, 03:27 PM
my parents live in fort smith, good soil over there. their tomato plants always grow massive and produce way more than they can eat. they tried the upside down method, didn't work so well.

gmwise
04-07-2010, 09:45 AM
I have friends whose REALLY big in hydroponics, raises alot of their food that way.
And they canned , and then sells what they have left, and makes gloobs of money.
But to start they spent gloobs of money and time.
From what I see now its so much easier.

airplane777
04-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Maybe try a fertilizer with more phosphorus, it is the ingredients for creating blooms/fruit. It is noted as the middle number on a bag of fertilizer (10-20-10.) Here is an article that can explain it in more detail.

Garden Article: Understanding Fertilizer Numbers: N-P-K (http://www.learn2grow.com/gardeningguides/fertilizer/basics/understandingfertilizernumbers.aspx)

FFLady
04-07-2010, 11:17 AM
..........and with the patchy frost expected tonight, does anyone know where the golden rule "never plant anything until after April 15" actually comes from? Is it the Almanac?

cindy
04-07-2010, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=gmwise;312419]Last year we tried that gawd awful topsy turvy bag.
It would grow maybe 4 feet, then gave up 2 tomatoes as small as cherry ones from a beefsteak plant.
We shall see this year what happens.
Good luck to us all.

We had the same issue with that topsy turvy bag!!!

bandnerd
04-07-2010, 02:50 PM
..........and with the patchy frost expected tonight, does anyone know where the golden rule "never plant anything until after April 15" actually comes from? Is it the Almanac?

I don't know, but it's a date that my mother instilled in my mind when I was just a little girl!

nik4411
04-07-2010, 03:16 PM
anybody know where to see some nice tulips

gmwise
04-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Western and 63rd NW

LeethalDose
04-08-2010, 03:10 PM
"never plant anything until after April 15" actually comes from? Is it the Almanac?

Couldn't find April 15th at the Farmer's Alamanac (http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2007/02/14/average-frost-dates/). But the Victory Seed Company (http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/ok.html) uses that date and states: Source: "Climatography of the U.S. No. 20, Supplement No. 1", 1988, National Climatic Data Center, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce."

I always thought it was just like "an old wive's tale" - but watch out - that average doesn't hold true every year - more like early May recent years (hold off on putting those tomato plants outside!). Most all your cool weather crops should be in before that, starting around St. Pat's Day (as the old saying goes) - even earlier if you use cold frames or such.

anybody know where to see some nice tulips

Hafer Park in Edmond has a few.

I'm also planting 3 rows of various veggies for the Food Bank.

Awesome! If that's the big one over southside between McArthur & Ann Arbor - check out their aquaponics - like hydroponics except they use fish tanks in the loop to fertilize the plants. Did the biodynamics compost pile over there last year.

On a earlier note, I received an email saying its (the Oklahoman) printed with soy based ink.
Thanks Bobbie @ the Oklahoman for getting a answer.
Saying that it doesnt speak on its suitability of it as composting material.
Anyone can help?

Link to source: (http://www.weblife.org/humanure/chapter3_12.html) "Yes, newspaper will compost, but there are some concerns about newsprint. For one, the glossy pages are covered with a clay that retards composting. For another, the inks can be petroleum-based solvents or oils with pigments containing toxic substances such as chromium, lead and cadmium in both black and colored inks. Pigment for newspaper ink still comes from benzene, toluene, naphthalene, and other benzene ring hydrocarbons which may be quite harmful to human health if accumulated in the food chain. Fortunately, quite a few newspapers today are using soy-based inks instead of petroleum-based inks. If you really want to know about the type of ink in your newspaper, call your newspaper office and ask them. Otherwise, keep the glossy paper or colored pages in your compost to a minimum."

Good job - gmwise!

Basically you compost carbon and nitrogen about 50/50 - check around (http://www.eartheasy.com/grow_compost.html#a) to find which is which (newspaper is carbon).

fire121
04-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Great resource here for Oklahoma gardening.

Oklahoma Gardening - GardenWeb (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/okgard/)

rondvu
04-12-2010, 01:27 PM
I went to Grandpas on NW 50th (have been going for 7yrs) was disappointed with their selection or I guess I should say lack of selection. My sister told me about Lomans at the old Phillips service station at Memorial and N. Western. I stopped by and surprising enough they have a great selection of trees, perennials, annuals, vegetables and ornamentals.

gmwise
04-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Great resource here for Oklahoma gardening.

Oklahoma Gardening - GardenWeb (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/okgard/)

Thanks Fire

possumfritter
04-13-2010, 04:18 AM
OU Campus

gmwise
04-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Any thoughts on Guerrilla Gardening in Public Spaces?

gmwise
04-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Also what companion plants have you found works best with your vegetable and ornamental gardens?

possumfritter
04-13-2010, 06:07 PM
gmwise...we have so much open space around our apt complex..I would loooooooooooooooooove to do some guerrilla gardening!!!!!

LeethalDose
04-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Any thoughts on Guerrilla Gardening in Public Spaces?

Why is it guerrilla - is it not legal?

gmwise
04-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Why is it guerrilla - is it not legal?

Guerrilla gardening - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla_gardening)

In some cases, yes.
But its done with the mind of making a drab (say a )corner or lot with shrubs, flowers, plants.
But in some extreme cases, making a lot or a parcel into a food productive one.
Usually absentee landlords, who either forgot about it, or dont care if its used like that.
Or "holding out" for the "offer" they deserved.
In a majority of low income urban areas, the lack of anything like fresh vegetable and fruits is not offered which in many cases leads to obesity, and other nutritional related issues.
Not to long ago in Edmond, there was a land owner who "had given tacit approval" to a neighborhood to use his lot as a community garden.
He sold it (years?) later.
The new owner then gave notice he was going to develop it.
And the neighborhood protested it.
But the new owner was talked into waiting till the garden went to harvest.
The neighborhood felt that since it was such a long time, they should be able to continued to use it, or purchased it.
But its a new owner, and he gave notice, and gave I think a year for them to harvest it.
I think they went to the city council to zone it as a community green zone.
But not sure on that.
I lost track of what happened since.
Does anyone have more information on this?

****Just like any military operation get your intelligence about the target (parcel).
Note if there's a possibility of a toxic site.
And if so, dont use it for a edible food garden.

possumfritter
04-14-2010, 10:54 AM
There is (or used to be) an apt complex over near Mercy Hospital on Memorial that let the tenants grow a rather large veggie garden in an adjacent lot to the apts. More landlords should be encouraged to do that. If we could do that here, Tammaron Village, no one would ever have to buy store bought veggies again...except for maybe avacados.

gmwise
04-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Grow your own if you can.
Buy local if at all possible.
Supports the local economy.
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-hasnt-sold-chains-on-its-strong-points/article/3452997?custom_click=pod_lead_business

The other task, (August Partners consultant David) Lobaugh, said, is to persuade local shoppers to spend more of their income locally. His survey shows almost 20 percent say they have shopped elsewhere because of the unavailability of quality stores locally. Another 17 percent said they shopped elsewhere for higher quality.

And most often supports heirloom seeds, not corporate patented seeds.
And buying locally and when in season you lessen, not altogether reduce your greenhouse related production.

* you mean you dont grow your own avocados??!
just kidding...lol

possumfritter
04-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Not only avocados...rhubarb as well :-)

gmwise
04-14-2010, 12:20 PM
lol

StopDHS
04-16-2010, 06:28 AM
It cant hurt I just got my garden planted and will need help from people in the area. I know Texas soil not so much with Oklahoma's soil

LeethalDose
04-16-2010, 08:45 AM
It cant hurt I just got my garden planted and will need help from people in the area. I know Texas soil not so much with Oklahoma's soil
It is not so much Texas vs Oklahoma soil as "live" vs "dead" soil, IMHO.

If you go organic - April at TLC (http://www.tlcgarden.com/locations.htm) on Memorial Rd is a great source, as is Chris or John at Farmer's Grain in Edmond. (The website is having problems - phone 341-3310 - here they are on twitter (http://twitter.com/FarmersGrainMan))

April, John & Chris are not organic purists - they know when chemicals *are* okay and the best thing to use and when chemicals should *not* be used...

Quick story, Chris hired on at Farmer's and told the resident "Dr John" they ought to quit selling chemicals for the customers' own good. John blew up and said you are so crazy i will prove you wrong! Shortly thereafter, long time chemical proponent John, humbly became an advocate for organic gardening.

Online Rodale (http://www.organicgardening.com/) & The Dirt Doctor (http://www.dirtdoctor.com/) (from Texas!) are hard to beat.

gmwise
04-16-2010, 10:19 AM
I want to turn a few squirrels into mini rugs..lol

LeethalDose
04-16-2010, 11:39 AM
No respect what so ever from squirrels - i have raised beds - 4 ft wide - i use nylon netting strung over bamboo supports and weighted down around the edges to keep the boogers out. So far so good - I bribe them with corn and peanuts at the other side of the yard. Have heard that cayenne pepper or blood meal works - but haven't tried it myself.

Prunepicker
04-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks all.
Minick's Materials is very reputable. We've used them for years and just got
another ton of Rich Mix.

Prunepicker
04-17-2010, 08:09 PM
I've been having problems with tomatoes. I can't get them to put on, and
when they do they don't get very big, and what varieties does anyone
suggest?
We planted Sweet Sue and Big Boy. Last year we canned about 100lbs of
tomatoes.

Prunepicker
04-17-2010, 09:00 PM
I went to Grandpas on NW 50th (have been going for 7yrs) was disappointed
with their selection or I guess I should say lack of selection. My sister told me
about Lomans at the old Phillips service station at Memorial and N. Western. I
stopped by and surprising enough they have a great selection of trees,
perennials, annuals, vegetables and ornamentals.
Prunette went to Precure's and the OSU extension last week. Also, the big
place at the Farmer's Market is great! Good healthy plants.

possumfritter
04-18-2010, 12:28 PM
I want to turn a few squirrels into mini rugs..lol

I'm thinking this "might" take care of those lil varmits:

YouTube - Beretta Xtrema2 Demonstration (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6bKbqSdNEc)

gmwise
04-18-2010, 07:31 PM
I am dusting with cayenne pepper...

Prunepicker
04-18-2010, 09:15 PM
I am dusting with cayenne pepper...
Where can we get a giant economy size?

gmwise
04-19-2010, 04:15 AM
I really do see how the squirrels impact positively on a forest....BUT blank blank not my garden!

That is suppose to get around a lackluster filter...time to spring for a new one...

lol

Hammondjam
04-21-2010, 05:45 PM
I was at Atwoods yesterday and evidently SOMEONE is addressing the problems associated with upside down grown tomatoes. They(Atwoods) are selling a fibrous bag with loop handles and a hook(complete with a tomato plant inside) and they claim that the bag solves the problems of the roots overheating because it allow better aeration and root growth. The bag, plant and hook sell for $12.99 and you get instructions on everything from how to get them home safely in your vehicle to how to care for them afterward. I'll wait for feedback before attempting this method again.

rondvu
04-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Wonder if Sams would have it. I am sure Ben E Keith would carry it. Do you know someone that owns a restaurant?

gmwise
05-02-2010, 08:54 AM
I had put up a critter net.
And today early I woke up, did my weeding,watering.
Its so relaxing.
I think I'm gonna take a week off from okctalk..lol

Prunepicker
05-02-2010, 01:54 PM
I had put up a critter net.
And today early I woke up, did my weeding,watering.
Its so relaxing.
I think I'm gonna take a week off from okctalk..lol
I stayed off the political threads for a month. THAT was relaxing! But I like
the involvement.

rondvu
05-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Humore is a good product if you need a small amount.

gmwise
05-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Did anyone else lost any plants (lost 4 myself) due to the hail damage?

Prunepicker
05-18-2010, 08:51 PM

We didn't get hail. All's well.

Roadhawg
05-20-2010, 12:27 PM

I had damage to all my tomato plants.... just waiting to see if they recover or not.

gmwise
05-21-2010, 01:20 PM
I had damage to all my tomato plants.... just waiting to see if they recover or not.

I know it rains on the just (ie me), and the unjust, but come on its hail! lol