View Full Version : Sprint 4G Expansion Plans to Stretch Coast-to-Coast from Los Angeles to Miami

UnFrSaKn
03-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Sprint 4G Expansion Plans to Stretch Coast-to-Coast from Los Angeles to Miami | Business Wire (http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100323005849&newsLang=en)

4G Wireless Broadband Network from Sprint (http://www.nextel.com/en/solutions/mobile_broadband/mobile_broadband_4G.shtml)

Been wondering when we might get 4G in the city. They have a ton of coverage in Texas. I'm with AT&T so it doesn't really matter, but still.

OKC@heart
03-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Well unfortunately OKC is not on the list of expansion cities if you look at the links. But hopefully they will add us soon! I know that we have a good system there, but they are probably working in the largest population based markets first to maximise thier marketshare the fastest, before other competitors can compete.

circuitboard
03-23-2010, 05:39 PM
I hope we get sprint 4g soon! Either way this phone is 3g backwards compatible!

HTC EVO 4G is Sprint's Android-powered knight in superphone armor, we go hands-on -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/htc-evo-4g-is-sprints-android-powered-knight-in-superphone-armo/)

HewenttoJared
03-23-2010, 07:38 PM
no iphone

yawn

td25er
03-24-2010, 07:21 AM
no iphone

yawn

Android > Iphone

bombermwc
03-24-2010, 07:53 AM
iphone - waste of cash

mattjank
03-24-2010, 09:35 AM
We've been thinking of jumping ship from At&t (cash drain) to Sprint. Live in Norman, work in OKC. How's coverage for other Sprint users in the metro area?

king183
03-24-2010, 10:59 AM
We've been thinking of jumping ship from At&t (cash drain) to Sprint. Live in Norman, work in OKC. How's coverage for other Sprint users in the metro area?

My coverage has always been excellent. I've been with Sprint about 8 years and the only place coverage was spotty was in downtown Norman (there was one spot that would cut out service). But that was up until about 2 years ago and it's now fixed. Overall, very good coverage.

bluedogok
03-24-2010, 11:28 AM
The problems that I have seen from others with Sprint or T-Mobile is the coverage sucks once you get out of the metro areas or off the major interstates, AT&T and Verizon have better (but not great) coverage outside of the major areas. If you tend to stay in those areas most are pretty happy with either service.

Most of my motorcycle riding is out in the Hill Country away from the metros or interstates so I have stayed with AT&T just in case I need it, I also carry an older tri-mode phone with a car charger on the bike just in case a 911 call is needed.

mattjank
03-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Most of my motorcycle riding is out in the Hill Country away from the metros or interstates so I have stayed with AT&T just in case I need it, I also carry an older tri-mode phone with a car charger on the bike just in case a 911 call is needed.

That is one of my concerns. My folks live in the Hill Country and we also travel to Arkansas frequently, but my understanding was that Sprint has roaming capabilities on the Verizon network. That being said, even with At&t both of those places tend to be pretty spotty.

Thanks for the responses.

bluedogok
03-24-2010, 12:52 PM
The 3G coverage can be spotty out there, Edge pops up at times. There have been places where my phone didn't work but someone's Verizon phone in our group did and vice versa, the Sprint/T-Mobile folks had nothing past US-281. I know that AT&T had a press release a few months back about a large amount of rural 3G upgrades out there planned for this year. I never really had a problem in Arkansas but most of my time was in the Little Rock or NWA areas where they more than likely had the most coverage.

bigjkt405
03-24-2010, 01:53 PM
With the Sprint everything plans... you can easily roam on Verizon's network (where it is beneficial to do so) when you have spotty coverage at no extra charge. I've had Sprint for 10 years, and the claims of spotty service are all but over now. I've used it on the backroads of Alabama,to the backroads of Oklahoma....

brownb01
03-30-2010, 08:29 PM
iphone - waste of cash

not any more than any other phone...and a heck of a lot more usable.

hands down..best phone currently available! See sales numbers.

Superhyper
03-30-2010, 10:10 PM
not any more than any other phone...and a heck of a lot more usable.

hands down..best phone currently available! See sales numbers.

That's quite subjective, my Nexus One is more capable than the 3GS in most respects. How's that outdated and boring hardware working for you? :P

brownb01
03-31-2010, 07:21 AM
That's quite subjective, my Nexus One is more capable than the 3GS in most respects. How's that outdated and boring hardware working for you? :P

I like the Nexus. It won't take off like the iPhone. iPhone will continue to dominate the market.

Apple is are the only company that is driving and caring the about the end user experience. The rest of them are just followers.

And to note...I am NOT an Apple fan! But dang...they do get the end user.

BoulderSooner
04-01-2010, 10:30 PM
just and fyi ... att and Verson 3G will be faster that the sprit 4G for the next 10 years at least ..

Sin Wagon
04-01-2010, 10:48 PM
just and fyi ... att and Verson 3G will be faster that the sprit 4G for the next 10 years at least ..

I've been reading the that the 4G Wimax that Sprint is hyping isn't deserving of the 4G billing and sounds like the markets will be limited initially. T-Mobile will have the fastest network soon with the rollout of HSPA+ over most of there network. Holding out hopes for them in OKC for my next phone. Though the true 4G LTE networks will be mindblowing when they are finally available. Wireless will seriously compete for home internet service

Superhyper
04-02-2010, 03:08 PM
I've been reading the that the 4G Wimax that Sprint is hyping isn't deserving of the 4G billing and sounds like the markets will be limited initially. T-Mobile will have the fastest network soon with the rollout of HSPA+ over most of there network. Holding out hopes for them in OKC for my next phone. Though the true 4G LTE networks will be mindblowing when they are finally available. Wireless will seriously compete for home internet service

That's mostly fair, although in Sprint's defense WiMax still has several new versions ahead of it that will improve performance. It probably won't be anywhere near what LTE is capable of, but it will still be impressive.

circuitboard
04-02-2010, 04:24 PM
That's mostly fair, although in Sprint's defense WiMax still has several new versions ahead of it that will improve performance. It probably won't be anywhere near what LTE is capable of, but it will still be impressive.

Good thing clearwire(sprint's partner in wimax) already announced they are working on making wimax cross compatible with lte to prepare for future speeds if necessary. The bottom line is sprint is the first with 4g, and it is faster than 3g, I have tested in Dallas. Can't wait for the evo to be released!

ljbab728
04-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Yawn. I have a computer in front of me all day at work and one in my bedroom at home. My cell phone can make calls and occasionally I use it for a text message. I'm sure all these bells and whistles are exciting for some people but it leaves me totally bored.

BoulderSooner
04-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Good thing clearwire(sprint's partner in wimax) already announced they are working on making wimax cross compatible with lte to prepare for future speeds if necessary. The bottom line is sprint is the first with 4g, and it is faster than 3g, I have tested in Dallas. Can't wait for the evo to be released!

your wrong its not faster than the 3g upgrade that ATT and ver... are going to have in the next couple of years .. their 3g.5 with existing equ .. will still be faster than the sprint "4g"

progressiveboy
04-03-2010, 11:32 AM
We've been thinking of jumping ship from At&t (cash drain) to Sprint. Live in Norman, work in OKC. How's coverage for other Sprint users in the metro area? IMO I think Verizon is a much better carrier. My contract with Sprint is up this month and I have decided to switch to Verizon much better coverage and wider band area.

flintysooner
04-03-2010, 11:38 AM
I've used that AT&T "Mark the spot" iPhone app. I didn't expect it to make any immediate difference but one location that I frequent that has had intermittent reception drastically improved after my report. Surprised me.

circuitboard
04-03-2010, 10:12 PM
your wrong its not faster than the 3g upgrade that ATT and ver... are going to have in the next couple of years .. their 3g.5 with existing equ .. will still be faster than the sprint "4g"

Umm you are full of ****. Show me these numbers where 3g is faster than 4g.... I am waiting....

Superhyper
04-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Not exactly a quick breakdown, but here: The state of 4G: it's all about congestion, not speed (http://arstechnica.com/telecom/news/2010/03/faster-mobile-broadband-driven-by-congestion-not-speed.ars/2)

The article does a good job of breaking down the alphabet soup that wireless broadband marketing has turned into. Basically comparing "3g" HSPA & HSPA+ to "4g" WiMax networks is mostly irrelevant. The 3g and 4g terms mean very little. Assuming WiMax is faster than HSPA+ because WiMax is 4g and HSPA+ is 3g is not necessarily a correct assumption.