View Full Version : Today was a very good day

Ssath
02-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Ok, let me start by giving a little bit of background. I have a daughter who is 19 months old. I don't get to see her near as much as I would like, since she lives with her mother. Her mother and I split up just after Thanksgiving. I didn't fight for custody because my ex has government benefits and makes considerably more money than I do, so I know she will be better off there, at least as far as those things are concerned.

Ok, on to why it was a good day... Lexi (my daughter) and I spent the whole day together. We went people watching at the mall, drove around just looking at the city, and of course eating lunch. Then we went to the new Books a Million up by Quail Springs Mall, and proceeded to look at nearly every book in the children's section. She loves books!! She also loves Dora the Explorer, and Blue's Clues. Put those things together, and you have one extremely happy baby girl. In the end, I let her pick out whichever book she liked the best, and I bought it for her.

By then, it was time to take her home. I would have loved to have brought her to my house to stay the night, but unfortunately I don't have the cash to baby-proof here, or to get her a bed yet. (but I am working on both)

So we got back to my ex's house, and she and I played for a while longer. While she was eating, my ex and I had quite the conversation. I'm very glad that she and I still get along as well as we do, since it would be so easy for one or both of us to be bitter.

After Lexi finished eating, we played for about another half hour or so, then I had to say goodbye. That is still the hardest thing for me to do. It tears me up inside every time I have to leave her, because I know that it will be at least a few days before I get to see her again. While that may not seem like very long to most people, keep in mind that for the first 16 months of her life, I was a stay at home dad. So she and I became very close.

So that's why today was such a good day for me.

mranderson
02-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Now there is a mighty proud dad. Good for you. We need more dad's who are that proud of their kids.

:yourock:

Ssath
02-19-2005, 08:26 PM
You got that right. I am so absolutely proud of my baby girl. Thank you for the kind words.

Patrick
02-19-2005, 10:14 PM
I praise you for being such a wonderful father. Most single mothers wish they had fathers for their children like you. Being able to tolerate and get along well with your ex is also a good thing, especially for your daughter.

Don't ever feel bad about not fighting for cutody for your children. Because your wife has the better job right now, it was probably for the best. Plus, you still get to see your daughter whenever you want.

Thanks for sharing this with us! It's great to hear about someone's "good day" every once in awhile! Just listening to the news, it would be easy to get down about things. But reading your post is uplifting!

Keep up the great job parenting! And keep being a wonderful supportive ex! It will pay off dividends in the future for both you and your daughter!

Hope you have another great day tomorrow!

Feel free to share with us anytime!

Keith
02-20-2005, 07:29 AM
What a heartwarming story. Anytime a relationship is split up, it makes it very hard on both patries, however, it is the hardest on the party that didn't get custody of the kid(s).

I am so happy to hear that your ex and yourself get along so well, and that you do get to spend some time alone with your daughter. I really enjoyed the way you explained what you did with your daughter during the day. It is also good to hear that you have such a close relationship with your daughter.

I know that it makes it very difficult to have to take her back to your ex-wife, however, I also have the utmost respect for you because you are allowing her to stay with her mother because of the good benefits that her government job has to offer. I know it is hard to do, and it is a huge sacrifice on your part.

Enjoy every minute that you can get with your daughter because they grow up very fast. You seem like a very humble man who is willing to sacrifice anything for his daughter, and that is the true sign of a very loving dad.

As Patrick said, anytime you want to share with us about a great day with your daughter, feel free too.