View Full Version : U. S. Grant

mrbob
03-23-2010, 06:09 AM
Hey guys what happen to your school. See they never expect us at Capitol Hill to learn anything. LOL Build you a new school and the kids go dumb. Looks like a house cleaning from the top to bottom. Whats wrong with these kids now days, to many video games on their mind. Who is going to run the country in the future, the guy with the D+ on his report card.

smooth
03-23-2010, 08:44 AM
When I went to Grant, it was the elite. There were two high schools that catered to lower upper class, but also had some middle class, and a few lower class. The other was John Marshall.

Today, these schools seem to be havens for trouble. At Grant, the demographics are different. The class of people that were there when I was there have either moved further south, out of state, or died. Some moved North... Me included. In fact, I live in an up scale area far North.

Mexicans (for those who think Mexican is derogatory: I have yet to meet someone from Mexico that did not insist on being called Mexican) who won't learn English have overpowered a lot of the area, gang members have invaded the area, and school staff that lost control.

Does the school need to close? No. That would be a waste of money. Plus, the school would lose federal funds. It could, however, close and reopen as an independent school or charter school.

In all likelihood, they will reassign staff. Will, that help? No. The Mexicans need to either go back where they came from or learn English... And the staff needs to do their job.

bandnerd
03-23-2010, 09:07 AM
They assigned the "reform model" and will cut and replace about 50% of their staff, which may or may not include the principal. This allows them to be able to receive $2 million in Federal funding.

They will not close and open as a charter. I don't think OKCPS wants any more charters at this time...

It's sad that a school has come to that, and it's not the first in the country to fall victim to the many factors that can cause a school to fail. Gran's failure is multi-faceted...it's not just the video game playing kids, the gang members, the teachers, the administrators, or the area...it's so many things. Reforming the school isn't the only thing that needs to be done. But, there are things that we can't do, like force parents to be better, or run off the gangs entirely, for example, that would help.

sam greenroyd
03-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Kinda goes to show ya you can't just throw money at a problem and fix it.

Architect2010
03-23-2010, 09:57 AM
You know, it could probably work well as a magnet school similiar to Southeast or Classen. Those models seem to work pretty well.

Also. Let me tell you how jealous Southeast kids are of Grant's school, especially when they don't deserve it. They can throw all the money they want at John Marshall, Douglass, and Grant, but that money really should have been sent to students at well performing schools. It only seems fair.

possumfritter
03-23-2010, 03:28 PM
One of the students from GHS was interviewed on TV last night and he was asked what he thought of the possibility that the students might have to go to different high shools in the city? He replied, "I don't like it because I won't be able to hang out with my friends."

Oh well.

JIMBO
03-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Perhaps every classroom should have a sign that reads (if you come here to learn; have a seat; if not, don't let the door hit you on the way out.)