View Full Version : Anyone Know When the new Crest at S.W. 104th and May is Opening?

Pages : [1] 2

will77
03-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Does anyone know when the new Crest Foods is opening? I live in Norman, but go to church right down the street from the new Crest, so it would be a convenient and viable alternative to making my weekly visit to Wal-Mart hell for groceries.

SkyWestOKC
03-23-2010, 06:52 AM
I was told April-may a few months ago. However, I would say with the weather and such, May-June would be a good guess.

PennyQuilts
03-23-2010, 06:59 AM
I'm looking forward to checking it out. We don't have a lot of selection in this sector. Not that I am complaining - I enjoy semi-rural.

AAC2005
03-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Does anyone know when the novelty will wear off, so I can go shop without feeling the urge to throttle someone?
:fighting3

andy157
03-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Does anyone know when the novelty will wear off, so I can go shop without feeling the urge to throttle someone?
:fighting3Yes. Studies have shown that the novelty will be worn off entirely at 12:01 a.m. 176 days after the official "Grand Opening". Give or take a minute or two.

Thunder
03-28-2010, 09:39 PM
It will open in the Summer. Employees at that store will be wearing green (and thinner) shirts.

The shirts cost $30 each... More if you are taller or fatter. Just imagine the huge chunk of paycheck(s) lost when getting more than one shirt.

Crest's excuse for high price (which I believe is bullsh!t) is that the shirts cost $60 each to custom order/make. They claim to pick up half the price. Like I said, bullsh!t, and that it is actually a way to help cover the cost of building a new store.

rcjunkie
03-29-2010, 03:59 AM
It will open in the Summer. Employees at that store will be wearing green (and thinner) shirts.

The shirts cost $30 each... More if you are taller or fatter. Just imagine the huge chunk of paycheck(s) lost when getting more than one shirt.

Crest's excuse for high price (which I believe is bullsh!t) is that the shirts cost $60 each to custom order/make. They claim to pick up half the price. Like I said, bullsh!t, and that it is actually a way to help cover the cost of building a new store.

Seriously, help pay for the new store. If they had 500 employees and each bought 2 shirts, that's $30,000, which wouldn't even cover the cost of the shopping carts.

Thunder
03-29-2010, 04:46 AM
Seriously, help pay for the new store. If they had 500 employees and each bought 2 shirts, that's $30,000, which wouldn't even cover the cost of the shopping carts.

$30,000 is still a lot to cover expenses. Don't forget the high turnovers. Who would want only 2 shirts? It's better investment to buy at least 4 to lessen the wash and the shirts will last longer. I been there a year now and I have 4 shirts. I know some only have one shirt, so they either wash it every day or every few days...

PennyQuilts
03-29-2010, 05:00 AM
Thunder, don't forget the cost to make them. I honestly can't imagine that this is a something they do to make a profit to pay for the store. If they are relying on that, the store is going under, anyway. But I grant you, thirty (sixty?) dollars a shirt seems fairly pricey, expecially for new employees who've just been hired. Maybe they are super nice shirts, although from your description, you don't think so.

metro
03-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Wow, that's pretty crappy if they are $30 bucks, especially if they are claiming those cheap polo's cost them $60. If this is true, I'll definitely think differently of Ed Harroz, not that my opinion of him was that high to begin with, but he does run a clean operation though.

oneforone
03-29-2010, 01:01 PM

Join the club... only a handful of employers provide uniforms anymore. The few that do require you to return the uniform regardless of the condition when it changes or you leave the company.

andy157
03-29-2010, 01:01 PM
If the shirts are custom made, and cost $60.00, and the employee pays $30.00, and Crest picks-up the other $30.00, how is Crest making money to cover the cost of building the new store?

metro
03-29-2010, 02:08 PM
andy, do you seriously believe a crappy polo shirt with an embroidered crest logo costs $60? They better be Ralph Lauren polo shirts for that price.

andy157
03-29-2010, 06:17 PM
andy, do you seriously believe a crappy polo shirt with an embroidered crest logo costs $60? They better be Ralph Lauren polo shirts for that price.Not for second do I believe they cost $60.00. But whether they cost $60.00 or .60 cents I don't see how Crest is making money if they are in fact picking-up half of the cost. Maybe I misunderstood what Thunder was saying.

oneforone
03-30-2010, 12:01 AM
andy, do you seriously believe a crappy polo shirt with an embroidered crest logo costs $60? They better be Ralph Lauren polo shirts for that price.

It is possible if the material is made to dry quickly when drenched with water or reduce tearing. When I worked delivery for a now defunct retail chain the uniforms we woer were snag proof, stain resistent and made to dry quickly when wet. We didn't have to pay for them but, I loved wearing them. I could get soaked in a rainstorm and become instantly dry after being indoors for a few minutes.

Larry OKC
03-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Not for second do I believe they cost $60.00. But whether they cost $60.00 or .60 cents I don't see how Crest is making money if they are in fact picking-up half of the cost. Maybe I misunderstood what Thunder was saying.

I think what he was saying was that there is no way the shirts cost $60 and Crest is only claiming to cover half of it, that the employee is paying for the entire cost (and then some, with Crest keeping the "profit" which while not covering the cost of the new building, certainly doesn't hurt either). Actual cost is probably around $18, Crest claims to be chipping in $30 and keeps the $12 for each shirt (difference between cost and what they are over-charging the employee)

Notice when Golden Corral opened their new locations (in new buildings) the price pumped up a couple of bucks? Supposedly they have more selection (but some things they actually have less selection than before). And if the things they added aren't things you liked, then you are just paying more for the same stuff.

okcpulse
03-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Okay, the shirts debate is useless and has absolutely no bearing on this thread. Can someone give us an opening date or not?

andy157
03-30-2010, 06:46 AM
Okay, the shirts debate is useless and has absolutely no bearing on this thread. Can someone give us an opening date or not?As to your question I can only offer you more useless information. So for what it is worth, the information posted to the sign on the corner of 104th and May claims the store will open in the spring of 2010. The sign says "spring", Thunder says "summer", who knows?

earlywinegareth
03-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Not official, but I drive by there every day and my best guess is June 1st.

Thunder
03-30-2010, 10:08 PM
I thought I saw a sign posted in the store saying Summer or on the sacks. It may be Spring, because we have people in the store wearing green shirts, so they're training for the store.

Green shirts is involved with the new store, so yes, that topic is relevant.

andimthomas
03-30-2010, 10:55 PM
I wonder how much those green shirts are.

Thunder
03-31-2010, 01:11 AM
I wonder how much those green shirts are.

No clue. They are much thinner. Added logo on the sleeves. Was told they are made by Adidas.

Martin
03-31-2010, 06:16 AM
judging by the building progress, i'd say that early summer is most likely. -M

Thunder
04-01-2010, 02:31 AM
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/126/l_5a7e043a8e384fc3bda651ec41fec335.jpg

AAC2005
04-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Not trying to be a smart-aleck, but the store could open on June 20th and it would still be considered "Spring 2010"...just sayin'.:bright_id

oneforone
04-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Summer leaves you a broad time frame to open the store. It could as early as Memorial Day and as late as Labor Day.

Provided we do not have a ton of rain between now and then I predict the store will open sometime between a few days before Memorial Day and no later then July 4th.

I worked in a grocery store for two years. Both of those holiday weekends make just as much money as Thanksgiving and Christmas. Alot of people grilling, picnicking, camping and partying on those weekends. Crest cleans up with huge sales during that time frame.

Thunder
04-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Yeah, they would be smart to open just before Memorial Day.

decepticobra
04-02-2010, 11:48 AM
I was told April-may a few months ago. However, I would say with the weather and such, May-June would be a good guess.

the only real way to know is to pop into the crest in mwc on douglas on any given weekday afternoon and catch ol' nick harroz in the customer service desk over in the corner counting up his money like he always does.... just ask him, he will tell you honestly, cause honestly, he wants more of your money.

thats a typical business man.

SkyWestOKC
04-02-2010, 12:05 PM
I was told by a corporate person I had emailed. But, that was a few months ago and it has changed with the weather.

Thunder
04-02-2010, 03:12 PM
I don't understand why would Nick be going into stores to be counting money? That just isn't right.

oneforone
04-03-2010, 07:07 AM
I don't understand why would Nick be going into stores to be counting money? That just isn't right.

He was being sarcastic Thunder... besides you work there and you of all people should know the corporate office is at the Edmond store not Douglas. Douglas is the supply hub for Crest.

old okie
06-06-2010, 09:14 PM
We've heard that the new Crest was trying to open by June 15, but it does not look like that will be possible. Maybe right before July 4th holiday? Anyone know?

Also see that a sign in the window of the NE corner of the strip mall on the north side of the store says, "Future home of Subway." Anyone know what else will be going in the other shops there?

linze
06-07-2010, 01:09 PM
I was told today by a friend who went there to apply for a job last week. That the opening date would be June 20. Either way the store is coming right along and it looks like it could open any day now.

Tom
06-11-2010, 09:06 AM
For the first time, they had their lights in the parking lot lit up and the store sign on (at 5:45am this morning). I drive by in the mornings to work and in the afternoons back home. I haven't seen the food vendors yet, mainly construction crews. Also, the parking lot was cleared out of all the trailers and stuff. It's getting close.
My bet is they will open their doors (at the latest) the weekend of 4th of July. A nice start to a summer of shopping with the holiday weekend.
But Fathers day is on the 20th so that would be cool too but only 10 days to get everything stocked and going.
Either way, it will be a nice change from the Wal-Mart crap to deal with.

old okie
06-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Just drove by and saw the "official" sign: the new Crest is opening June 23 at 10 A.M. :kicking: Can't wait!

Spartan
06-13-2010, 12:36 PM
I drive by this new Crest constantly when I have to visit my parents. Every time I drive by I am pretty stunned that Crest of all stores would pull such an impressive looking grocery store off.

oneforone
06-14-2010, 07:59 PM
I drive by this new Crest constantly when I have to visit my parents. Every time I drive by I am pretty stunned that Crest of all stores would pull such an impressive looking grocery store off.

I think all their stores are nice stores. I was really impressed with the work they did with the old Snyders store at 23rd and Meridian and the two former Homeland stores in Moore and Hefner and Rockwell.

All three of those stores were dumps to say the least. They came in and remodeled them to nice clean stores that are packed with customers daily. I love Crest for one reason they are keeping Wal-Mart from owning the grocery market. It was not for Crest I think the local grocery market would have folded a few years ago.

Spartan
06-14-2010, 10:10 PM
This is very true..they compete very well, too. Just wish they had more of a presence down here in Norman. Not a big fan of Homeland.

andimthomas
06-14-2010, 10:17 PM

Will anyone mind snapping a picture? I'm very curious of how it looks...

Spartan
06-15-2010, 01:30 AM
I can next time, it's just where it is situated is not easy to take a pic..no businesses directly across the street or anything, and it's set so far back because I swear the thing has more parking than all of Quail Springs Mall..

There is a TINY rendering of it on their website actually.

http://www.crestfoodsok.com/images/newstore.png

BG918
06-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Here is a bigger pic, great looking store!
http://www.selserschaefer.com/images/crestfoods.gif

Martin
06-15-2010, 08:11 AM
that's pretty much what it looks like. i wish they were required to use more brick in the design.

it's set so far back because i swear the thing has more parking than all of quail springs mall
i'm sure the layout is designed to have outparcels. i've heard a rumor that a chili's may be going in as one of them.

-M

SkyWestOKC
06-15-2010, 10:30 AM
That would be nice to have a Chili's a block from my house!

earlywinegareth
06-15-2010, 12:45 PM
If I had the money, I'd open a nice steak place. This area of town has mega bucks but all we have to show for it is Panera.

oneforone
06-15-2010, 02:18 PM
I am willing to bet they made the parking lot large because they are expecting people from all over that side of the city (Mustang, North Norman, South OKC and possibly Newcastle, Tuttle and Chickasha since the store is roughly a mile from I-44.)

I have several family members and friends that live between OKC and Chickasha. They are all excited about the new Crest because they are not going to have to drive very far into the city for groceries.

They will pull a lot of traffic to that store especially since they will most likely be open 24/365 like all Crest stores.

The good thing about this that almost every fast food outlet is pretty satured in that area. So only thing will likely build there is dine restaurants and quick service businesses like barbers, salons, cleaners,

The only thing they may open is Jack In The Box, Wendy's or maybe Arby's.

Spartan
06-15-2010, 05:57 PM
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/6109/img01285.jpg
Here you go.

andimthomas
06-15-2010, 09:07 PM
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/6109/img01285.jpg
Here you go.

Thank you! Wow. It looks great!

redrunner
06-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Very nice, doesn't look like a typical box store in Oklahoma.

Thunder
06-15-2010, 09:35 PM
The first few days of the month will be completely full parking.

Spartan
06-15-2010, 10:57 PM
The parking lot alone is at least 5 acres, they will never fill it up. Not even the first week it is open. But I really like the design. I am impressed that Crest stepped it up so much. This will be way above any other regular grocery store in the metro (different league than Whole Foods obviously).

ljbab728
06-15-2010, 11:36 PM
It's not bad but I'm not sure that "wow" is how I would describe it.

Larry OKC
06-16-2010, 12:45 AM
The parking lot alone is at least 5 acres, they will never fill it up. Not even the first week it is open. But I really like the design. I am impressed that Crest stepped it up so much. This will be way above any other regular grocery store in the metro (different league than Whole Foods obviously).

Am surprised you like it, reminds me of a Bass Pro kind of building. A big lean-to shed. I am definitely not impressed design wise.

On a tangent, isn't there already a Crest in the area? Is this a relocation or will there be 2 stores out that way (not unlike the original Crest and the one around the corner on Douglas over in Midwest City).

rcjunkie
06-16-2010, 01:48 AM
Am surprised you like it, reminds me of a Bass Pro kind of building. A big lean-to shed. I am definitely not impressed design wise.

On a tangent, isn't there already a Crest in the area? Is this a relocation or will there be 2 stores out that way (not unlike the original Crest and the one around the corner on Douglas over in Midwest City).

This is the only Crest in this area, the nearest one is in Moore on Eastern (E. ofI-35).

oneforone
06-16-2010, 02:31 AM
There stores in Midwest City are not exactly around the corner either.

The Reno Store is a block east of Air Depot. The Douglas Store is about a mile or two away.

The Reno Store is a more like the stores most of us shopped in years ago before grocery stores started carrying everything under the sun.

It does not have a deli, flower shop, bakery, meat and seafood counter or a bank. It is pretty much a no frills store.

It will always stay open because it is the orginal location of Crest not to mention those of us that live off Reno keep the store packed. It's a great place to go when you just have to grab a few things. You can be in and out just as fast as you can at a 7-11 or Circle K.

Larry OKC
06-16-2010, 04:31 AM
This is the only Crest in this area, the nearest one is in Moore on Eastern (E. ofI-35).

You are correct, I didn't catch the "May" part (was thinking it was off I-35, nearer the Moore store).

Larry OKC
06-16-2010, 04:32 AM
There stores in Midwest City are not exactly around the corner either. ...

It is a relative thing (they are much closer to each other than any of the other Crest stores are to each other)..when in your car, just a few minutes apart.

rcjunkie
06-16-2010, 07:59 AM
You are correct, I didn't catch the "May" part (was thinking it was off I-35, nearer the Moore store).

A very good/close friend that's in the Commercial Real Estate Business tells me that Walmart is looking at property along I-44 between SW 104th and SW 149th for a new Super Center. If built they plan on closing the one at Tri-City.

Jesseda
06-16-2010, 10:05 AM
does anybody know if this crest will carry special things like a fresh fish market or seafood, or anything special or unique like that

metro
06-16-2010, 10:18 AM
does anybody know if this crest will carry special things like a fresh fish market or seafood, or anything special or unique like that

crest corporate office
2200 sw 15th and
santa fe
edmond, ok 73013
405-330-8100

TU 98
06-16-2010, 10:24 AM
June 23rd is the day!