View Full Version : Hidden Fees (Visa Card)

possumfritter
03-21-2010, 06:50 AM
While looking at my online Bank statement this morning I noticed that two of America's largest stores each charged me $1.00 for using my Visa card on my purchases this weekend (March 19 and 20).

It sure didn't show up on the receipts, but it did on my bank account.

What's going on?

old okie
03-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Hmm. Did you make a "minimum" purchase? Some stores charge a fee for using a credit card if the total purchase isn't over a certain amount--although they are 'supposed' to disclose that to you before you use the card.

If you don't mind sharing, which stores? That would give us a chance to check our receipts if we shopped there too. Did the salesperson ask if you wanted to "contribute" to some cause? They will sometimes do that and add your $1.00 to the receipt. [I've had that happen at both Wal-Mart & Walgreens, but with my knowledge and consent.]

You said the $1.00 charge wasn't on the actual receipts, but just on your bank statement? So is it your credit card co. that is assessing the fee, not the store itself? If the charge wasn't on your receipts, then you need to call the credit card co. and see why they are assessing the added charge.

Just some thoughts for you.

Brandon_sharp
03-21-2010, 09:59 AM
sometimes when i make purchases at like 7-11 i'll get like a $1 charge as like a kind of holding charge, it changes to full purchase price eventually. Is that like what you're getting?

possumfritter
03-21-2010, 10:16 AM
7-11 and Virgin Mobile...No mention, notices of minimum purchase, only limit on maximum purchase for gasoline. No probs with Wal-Mart (yet).

Not sure about the Holding Charge until it clears Monday night.

possumfritter
03-21-2010, 11:10 AM
I just mailed 7-11 Corporate office an invoice for $115.00 for loyal patronage (1999 to present) for all the gas and coffee & crullers I have bought from them each week for the past 115 months.

It will be interesting to see what they say...if anything.

windowphobe
03-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Merchants have been known to test an account before posting a transaction; $1 is the typical amount for such a test.

Wait three or four days and see if they disappear. If they don't, then you have an issue.

MikeOKC
03-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Hmm. Did you make a "minimum" purchase? Some stores charge a fee for using a credit card if the total purchase isn't over a certain amount--although they are 'supposed' to disclose that to you before you use the card.

Actually, "minimum purchase" requirements are expressly forbidden by all credit card companies except American Express. It's not a matter of their telling you about it, the practice is forbidden in all merchant agreements.

You can read more at the following links.

What consumers can do when 'minimum purchase' and other credit card rules are bent (http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/merchants-who-violate-credit-card-terms-1275.php)

One of the more common violations, Visa customer service says, is when merchants try to impose minimum or maximum charge requirements on transactions paid with a Visa card. Some rules are not as straightforward. For instance, although asking for supplemental identification is a very common and perfectly legal merchant practice -- vendors are within their rights to ask for identification and proof of a name and signature -- the customer is under no obligation to honor this request, and the vendor cannot make this request a condition of the sale.

As for tacking on fees to credit card purchases, according to a Visa spokeswoman, "To clarify Visa's rules, merchants are not permitted to charge cardholders an additional fee for using a Visa card. However, service stations and other merchants are welcome to offer discounts to consumers who pay with cash or use their debit card with a personal identification number (PIN).""

Sidestep Minimum Credit Card Purchase Requirements - Credit Cards (http://lifehacker.com/5442732/sidestep-minimum-credit-card-purchase-requirements)

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9558/creditcardk.jpg (http://img301.imageshack.us/i/creditcardk.jpg/)