View Full Version : Gun training?

circuitboard
03-17-2010, 10:38 PM
I am interested in learning how to shoot a gun. I have never shot a gun before and I typically get really nervous around guns and have fears of them. I would like to get over my fears and own a gun. Any recommendations on where to learn? Now with me being an androgynous male..LOL Looking for somewhere that won’t be to ruff on me.

SoonerBent
03-18-2010, 05:18 AM
Go to H&H Gun Range/Store off of I40 & Meridian. They do beginner classes and are great people.

PennyQuilts
03-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Go to H&H Gun Range/Store off of I40 & Meridian. They do beginner classes and are great people.

What he said...

circuitboard
03-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the info! I will check it out.

USG '60
03-18-2010, 11:06 AM
I would downplay the androgony while there, though. :doh:

fuzzytoad
03-18-2010, 11:21 AM
I would downplay the androgony while there, though. :doh:

Or play it up.. you never know...

circuitboard
03-18-2010, 12:17 PM
haha, I will try, but I am really afraid of loud noises. Hope I don't scream.

PennyQuilts
03-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Screaming is okay but try not to squeal... <g>

Wear ear protection. And leather.

USG '60
03-18-2010, 02:48 PM
And stand up straight, tuck your shirt tail in, keep your stomach in and your shoulders back ........and don't wear hose with flats; you'll look silly while squealing. :)

Patricia Stevens :D

MadMonk
03-18-2010, 04:18 PM
H&H is great. Their range has a wide variety of loaner guns to play around with and find one you like. If you are as skittish as you say, you might start out with something light, like a .22 or .32. They don't pop too much and are fun to plink around with, plus the ammo is cheap so you can practice a lot without breaking the bank. Once you're ready for more firepower, look at a .38 or a 9mm. Then, once you've got the full-on addiction working, step up to a .40 or a .45. :tiphat:

circuitboard
03-18-2010, 04:25 PM
I really appreciate all the good advice! Can't wait to give it a try!!

USG '60
03-18-2010, 04:35 PM
I really appreciate all the good advice! Can't wait to give it a try!!

For heaven's sake, have someone video the experience. It could be a youtube smash. :LolLolLol

PennyQuilts
03-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Have fun. I haven't been to H & H since it grew up (expanded) but Husband was there recently and was very impressed.

circuitboard
03-18-2010, 06:05 PM
For heaven's sake, have someone video the experience. It could be a youtube smash. :LolLolLol

Lol yeah it should be videotaped! I am sure the place is gonna get a kick out of me.

Lauri101
03-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Does H&H have concealed carry classes also?

I'd like to have some lessons, buy a weapon and get my permit. Our neighborhood is starting to show some evidence of unsavory activity and the DH's 9 mil is too much of a gun for me.

PennyQuilts
03-20-2010, 11:04 AM

I'd like to have some lessons, buy a weapon and get my permit. Our neighborhood is starting to show some evidence of unsavory activity and the DH's 9 mil is too much of a gun for me.

Dunno, but if you are worried about break ins, you don't need a CC for that. You aren't planning to patrol the neighborhood, are you? :LolLolLol

Lauri101
03-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Dunno, but if you are worried about break ins, you don't need a CC for that. You aren't planning to patrol the neighborhood, are you? :LolLolLol

LOL - you never can tell!

If I want to take it with me - whether walking, driving, etc - I'd need one then, right?
So I don't need a CC permit as long as I stay on own property with weapon?

PennyQuilts
03-20-2010, 11:22 AM
LOL - you never can tell!

If I want to take it with me - whether walking, driving, etc - I'd need one then, right?
So I don't need a CC permit as long as I stay on own property with weapon?

All I can tell you is that my goofy husband used to strap it on in plain sight and wander around the yard. He lived in a bad neighborhood.

kevinpate
03-20-2010, 12:24 PM
... I am sure the place is gonna get a kick out of me.

Better that than you getting kicked by them. Should be no worries. The most burnt of neck folks don't tend to pay to shoot; they jus' drive around takin' aim at mailboxes, road signs, stumps, pumpkins, bottles and such.
:LolLolLol

PennyQuilts
03-20-2010, 12:37 PM
The ones at the range tend to be pretty law abiding.

OKBound
03-20-2010, 12:41 PM
If you're worried about breakins, my Dad always says a shotgun is what's needed. Just point. Shoot if you have to. When they see it, they may run before you have to fire. :elmer3:

I like the idea of being able to use different kinds to get a feel of what you're most comfortable with, especially before buying one. Thanks for the info.

SoonerBent
03-20-2010, 03:23 PM

Yes. In fact I took the CCW class in January. It's very good. They do it in two sections. The first is an attorney that discusses the law and how it applies in real life. The second is classroom gun safety followed by range time to demonstrate that you got it during the safety training. They offer classes on week nights split into two nights or Saturday all in one day. I really enjoyed it.

TOWNHERO
03-20-2010, 06:35 PM
I am interested in learning how to shoot a gun. I have never shot a gun before and I typically get really nervous around guns and have fears of them. I would like to get over my fears and own a gun. Any recommendations on where to learn? Now with me being an androgynous male..LOL Looking for somewhere that won’t be to ruff on me.

There is no big mystery in learning how to shoot a gun. Just need to learn the basics of gun safety. A gun is not to be afraid off, but respected. It's not going to shoot you by it self, it takes a human to do that. I've had guns all my life. I retired from the Marines so I've always had training. It drilled into to you. Taking a class would be great to learn. Some ladies where I work took a class for ladies only a couple of months ago. They came back just talking my ears off about it. Shooting paper is fun. You never get as good as you want to be. Like someone else said in this thread, start with a 22 and build up from there. Shooting can be an addictive hobby. Have fun.

TOWNHERO
03-20-2010, 06:51 PM
BTW, I taught my girls how to shoot when they were 9 and 7. They are 24 and 22 now. They love to go out to the range. They are better shots than me and they do rube it in. LOL I have a new grand son and if I live long enough I plan on giving him my Ruger 10/22 rifle and teach him how to shoot. I bought my 1st rifle when I was around 11. I'm not one of those crazy gun nuts. I do believe in the 2nd Amendment. I live by myself and I have no problem using deadly force when my life or someone elses life is in danger. I've done it before. But, even if you have a CCW, you have to understand deadly force and be willing to use it. I personally think that is the biggest problem with CCW, the understanding of deadly force and willing to use it. Do you shoot someone that is stealing out of your utility building or you car? Me NO. but someone breaking in my house, well, they are fair game to me. Just my opinion.

metro
03-29-2010, 11:01 AM
How much does a CC class run?

fuzzytoad
03-29-2010, 11:31 AM
How much does a CC class run?

$60 for the class at H&H.

there's additional costs if you actually do everything to get the license: H&H Gun Range - Oklahoma Shooting Sports - Learning Center (http://www.hhgunrange.com/learning_center/Conceal_Carry.htm)