View Full Version : DHS and Fox News

possumfritter
03-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Some of you that have been on OKCTalk for awhile may remember Dana and the problems she was having with OKDHS. Well, for the latest:

"Grandma Fights to get Grandson out of DHS Custody"

KOKH FOX 25 :: Top Stories (http://www.okcfox.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/kokh_vid_1219.shtml)

PennyQuilts
03-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Lots of information but doesn't answer the questions I would ask. I recall from Dana's posts that she originally insisted that DHS took the child to the an adoption subsidy. We went round and round on that and she was convinced it was all a ploy to steal that baby and, in so many words, sell it. No matter how it turns out, I feel sorry for that baby.

Midtowner
03-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Sounds like she's trying to hang her hat on the fact that dad was convicted of a felony -- well he was, but it was non-violent felony, transporting a firearm according to the Fox report.

It sure seems like a screwball way for dad to get custody, but in all reality, mom lived in a group home while dad had his own roof over his head. Without getting much deeper into this abyss, that's big points for dad and big points against mom.

This underlying assumption that mom gets custody no matter what is bunk. And I don't really buy Dana's explanation. It doesn't really add up. Falling asleep with your child on your shoulder is one thing. Being essentially homeless and unable to provide a home for the child is quite another thing.

Sounds like mom in this case is running to grandma rather than manning up and taking responsibility for the situation. Why was she homeless? Did she have a job? Was she just expecting DHS to provide for her? I don't have a hell of a lot of sympathy for someone who is crying for help when they haven't even done the bare minimum to help themselves.

possumfritter
03-17-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm just curious why the Father filed a paternity action (FP-2010-21) on January 14, 2010?

PennyQuilts
03-17-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm just curious why the Father filed a paternity action (FP-2010-21) on January 14, 2010?

I'm not - pretty routine.

Whenever I had young ones arguing over a child, I always insisted on a paternity test. The young ones would object but the grandmas were always relieved. Most of the time the daddy was who she said it was but plenty of times it wasn't. Better to find out early than late.

The fact is, monogamy just isn't practiced the way it used to be and having a fight (which young ones do, alot) is deemed by many as the equivalent of a short term break up where other partners aren't considered "cheating." In the days when you didn't jump into bed with someone inside of fifteen minutes, an argument didn't mean much. These days, an argument frequently involves an immediate fling that is quickly glossed over when the flowers arrive with an apology the next day. So there is frequently plenty of doubt as to paternity for some groups.

I feel so sorry for the kids coming up with these foolish children for parents.

possumfritter
03-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Penny,

But the child was born in what, 2007 or 2008. Why would the Father do that now.

P.S. Are you aka EastCoastOkie?????

PennyQuilts
03-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Penny,

But the child was born in what, 2007 or 2008. Why would the Father do that now.

P.S. Are you aka EastCoastOkie?????

Yes - Pete changed my name for me when we moved back. I posted about it but not everyone saw that.

I routinely had people come back and do paternity tests, even years later. It may just mean that was the first time they were actually back n court. If he wanted to file for custody, he'd want to prove paternity to be able to establish he had a legal right as a parent. It is possible DHS told him they couldn't place the child with him absent proof that he was a parent.

Thank god for DNA tests. I wish they were routine at birth...

possumfritter
03-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Penny,

I thought I recognized your writing. I have always enjoyed your posts (most of them). I was offline for about 6 months (unemployment and health issues).

Welcome back to Oklahoma! :yourock:

PennyQuilts
03-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks! I am so thrilled to be home, I can't express it.

I hope you are feeling better and find the right job!

StopDHS
04-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Amazing what DHS will do to keep the kids a ward of the state

Midtowner
04-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Amazing what DHS will do to keep the kids a ward of the state

It's not even a DHS case anymore.

Looks like a pretty run-of-the-mill paternity action. It's in front of Judge McGuire who I've appeared in front of a number of times. She's a good judge. She'll make the right call.

While the caseworker who made the original placement with dad might be subpoenaed and examined in court as to why that happened, this whole case is now out of DHS' hands and in the hands of the parties, their attorneys (both are fine lawyers) and the judge.