View Full Version : New List of Oklahoma billionaires

metro
03-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Oklahomans make Forbes list of world’s billionaires
Oklahoman
March 12, 2010

Four Oklahomans were listed on Forbes latest compilation of "The World’s Billionaires.” George Kaiser, 67, of Tulsa was No. 64 on the Forbes list with an estimated worth of $10 billion. Kaiser is chairman of BOK Financial Corp. and CEO of Kaiser-Francis Oil Co. Oklahoma City’s David Green, 68, founder of Hobby Lobby, had an estimated net worth of $3 billion. Lynn Shusterman, 71, of Tulsa had an estimated fortune of $1.5 billion. Oklahoma City’s Aubrey McClendon, 50, co-founder and CEO of Chesapeake Energy Corp., ranked 937 with an estimated worth of $1 billion.

Read more: NewsOK (http://newsok.com/oklahomans-make-forbes-list-of-worlds-billionaires/article/3445857?custom_click=headlines_widget#ixzz0hyYBHRT o)

onthestrip
03-12-2010, 08:42 AM
I figured Harold Hamm was one as well.

metro
03-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Glad to see Aubrey got back on the list, he took a big hit and went to like 600-700mil when he got cash calls for stock.

Spartan
03-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Glad to see Aubrey got back on the list, he took a big hit and went to like 600-700mil when he got cash calls for stock.

Our empathy definitely goes out for him and his rough experience in the last year. I'm sure he's sick and tired of ham and cheese by now..

rcjunkie
03-12-2010, 12:55 PM
I still can't believe I'm not on this list, oh well, there's always next year.

Thundercitizen
03-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Missed it by $182.37.

Bjbholloway
03-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Harold Hamm was number 136 on the list at 5.5 billion. Strange that the Oklahoman would leave out the 2nd highest Oklahoman.

Spartan
03-13-2010, 04:39 PM
He's an Enid guy, right?

Jethrol
03-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Hmm...guess Forbes doesn't know 'bout me. gonna hafta make some phone calls and educate them...be right back.

ThePlainsman
03-13-2010, 08:29 PM
He's an Enid guy, right?

Yeh man, he is a Plainsman. He's the founder and CEO of Continental Resources and really honest to goodness self-made success story. And, tough, but a helluva guy too. I thought it a major oversight that the DOK left out Oklahoma's number 2 billionaire as well. Him and George Kaiser are far and away our most wealthiest.

Spartan
03-13-2010, 10:16 PM
I can't wait to see the next attempt to be clever in this thread..

fuzzytoad
03-13-2010, 10:21 PM
I can't wait to see the next attempt to be clever in this thread..

the previous posts were "clever"?

Spartan, would you like to buy an ancient indian burial ground near I-40? i'll sell it cheap

Spartan
03-13-2010, 10:31 PM
And there she be.

fuzzytoad
03-13-2010, 10:33 PM
And there she be.

is that a yes? you can drive under it.. there's a tunnel

Spartan
03-13-2010, 10:39 PM
It better not be across I-40 from Downtown OKC. If that's the case, then no thanks..

fuzzytoad
03-13-2010, 10:45 PM
It better not be across I-40 from Downtown OKC. If that's the case, then no thanks..

why? are you racists towards downtown OKC indians and their historical monuments?

Spartan
03-13-2010, 11:58 PM
No, but if there was a Downtown OKC Indian Tribe, I would definitely be one of its warriors..

http://www.native-americans.org/postcard/images/indian-warrior-medicine-wheel-old-guy-winters.jpg

And they would call me Walker, Downtown Ranger .. not to confuse cowboys with indians.

Larry OKC
03-14-2010, 03:02 AM
Harold Hamm was number 136 on the list at 5.5 billion. Strange that the Oklahoman would leave out the 2nd highest Oklahoman.

Apparently an editing mistake or oversight, they ran this on Saturday

NewsOK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-business-briefs/article/3446213)

Oklahoma business briefs (Oklahoman, 3/13/10)

Forbes’ list of wealthiest people includes Enid oilman at 136th.

Enid oilman Harold Hamm was among five Oklahomans ranked among the world’s billionaires in Forbes’ annual listing. Hamm, 64, was listed as the world’s 136th-wealthiest person with an estimated net worth of $5.5 billion. Hamm founded Continental Resources, a publicly traded oil and gas company, and last year took his gas processing firms, Hiland Partners and Hiland Holdings, private by purchasing the outstanding shares.

Wishbone
03-14-2010, 05:50 AM
No E.K. Gaylord on the list?

Jethrol
03-14-2010, 08:40 AM
He died

Urbanized
03-14-2010, 12:47 PM
In 1974.

geterdone
03-14-2010, 05:20 PM
I wonder what guys like Bob Funk, Larry Nichols and others are worth. Why hasn't Mr. Nichols ever been on the list.

kd5ili
03-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Why hasn't Mr. Nichols ever been on the list.

Uhm...maybe because he is not a billionaire? Just venturing a guess...:LolLolLol

-Chris-

metro
03-15-2010, 07:36 AM

No, Gaylords aren't even close. Same with Funk and others.

Spartan
03-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Funk's ex-wife, maybe...

Thundercitizen
03-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Didn't see Nichols Gallardia on the list, either.

metro
03-16-2010, 12:27 PM
????

Urbanized
03-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Sports Animal joke.

Wishbone
03-16-2010, 02:43 PM
The Gaylords own the Oklahoman and Opry Land I believe. Surprising not to see them on it or Clay Bennett for that matter.

metro
03-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Clay Bennett isn't close to being a billionaire, however he's closer than any of us ever will be.

Larry OKC
03-17-2010, 12:30 AM
As mentioned, they aren't billionaires (just as much separating a millionaire from being a billionaire as the rest of us from being a millionaire). If you are talking about the Gaylords collectively, they may be in the group, but when you sub-divide it among all the heirs...

As a side note, does Opry Land (the amusement park) even exist any more? Thought I had read that it had been sold/closed several years ago. Seems like it was about the same time of the PTL scandal (totally unrelated) and the closing of Heritage USA.

Opryland USA (later called Opryland Themepark and typically called simply Opryland) was a theme park located in Nashville, Tennessee. It operated from 1972 until 1997. During the late 1980s nearly 2.5 million people visited the park annually.

The park closed permanently on December 31, 1997, following the “Christmas in the Park” season. The decision to close the park and replace it with a mall was made public in October 1997. The 1997 “Christmas in the Park” season was billed as a “last chance” for Nashvillians to see Opryland, though it came as a shock to many to see the larger attractions already being dismantled. The rides were sold and the park demolished; the site is now occupied by the Opry Mills mall, which now has no connection to Gaylord other than the licensed “Opry” name and shared parking, roads, and pedestrian thoroughfares between Simon’s mall and the Opry and Hotel properties.

All five roller coasters and many other large attractions were sold to Premier Parks and moved to a field near Indianapolis, Indiana where the company was to build a new theme park. Those plans were soon scrapped when Premier Parks purchased Six Flags. The pieces of Opryland’s attractions sat rusting in the Indiana field until 2002, when the site was sold. Some of the flat rides were sold for scrap metal, while the fate of many of the larger attractions remains unknown, although at least two of Opryland’s former coasters (The Hangman and Rock n’ Roller Coaster) found new life at Six Flags parks around the United States under different names. One of the Wabash Cannonball’s cars appeared at a park in Europe as part of a Halloween display.

Most traces of the park are gone, and even the hills and valleys of the park are now flattened into mall parking lots. The front gate is now the back wall of the former Tower Records location, and the Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster’s spot is now partially occupied by Regal Cinemas. However, along the sidewalk in the trees between the Opry Mills parking lot and the Gaylord Opryland Resort, sections of the old “Grizzly River Rampage” water ride are visible. The conveyor belts and mechanicals are gone but it is discernible where the ride began and ended. A hotel expansion is slated to overtake the site, but the project has been put on hold due to the Late 2000s recession. The long low concrete levee wall which once separated the park’s New Orleans, Riverside and State Fair areas from the Cumberland River is still a part of the mall grounds, and visitors who enter the mall property from the McGavock Pike/Music Valley Drive entrance can still view remnants of the graded railroad embankment which once supported the tracks of the park’s short-line railroad. The entrance to the former WSM Radio Gaslight Theater stands directly across the mall parking lot from the Regal Cinema mall entrance.
[edit]

OKCMallen
03-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Our empathy definitely goes out for him and his rough experience in the last year. I'm sure he's sick and tired of ham and cheese by now..

Losing that kind of worth still sucks.

metro
03-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Yeah, and besides Spartan, Aubrey loosing HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS affects many of the thousands of workers he employs and affects the companies stability, thus job insecurity, thus possible less spending in the local economy, thus industry related layoffs, tax revenue shortfalls, etc. etc.

Shake2005
03-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Yeah, and besides Spartan, Aubrey loosing HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS affects many of the thousands of workers he employs and affects the companies stability, thus job insecurity, thus possible less spending in the local economy, thus industry related layoffs, tax revenue shortfalls, etc. etc.

Here's the thing, and why he's so slimy. Chesapeake Energy is a publicly traded company, he doesn't own it, the shareholders do. He's just an employee, like everyone else. He doesn't personally employ anyone at Chesapeake, they are all employees of the company. His personal wealth or lack thereof has zero bearing on the company, or should have zero.

But in Aubrey's case, it's a company that bailed out Aubrey when he got margin called by suddenly making him the highest paid exec in the nation. Chesapeake isn't really a very large company, and it's a company that isn't doing so well due to lackluster (being kind here) gas prices and even worse than that it is very highly leveraged company. Yet it has the highest paid exec in the country. Why?

Aubrey acts like it is his company and his piggy bank, but it's not, and some day soon it's going to be a problem, I hope it doesn't kill the company.

progressiveboy
03-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Yeah, and besides Spartan, Aubrey loosing HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS affects many of the thousands of workers he employs and affects the companies stability, thus job insecurity, thus possible less spending in the local economy, thus industry related layoffs, tax revenue shortfalls, etc. etc. That is why I believe that OKC needs to be "much more diversified" besides energy jobs as this will help soften the blow in the event that energy prices plummet even worse. I find it hard to believe that Oklahoma has diversified from the oil and gas industry as OKC Fortune 500 companies Devon, Chesapeake, OG&E are all energy related. Also l hear that Sandridge is levereged quite heavilly and not doing well even though they are doing a major facelift on their DT digs. Simple and plain: do not put all your eggs in one basket. Perhaps if OKC can follow this strategy, then they may perhaps one day have lots of billionares!

metro
03-17-2010, 12:24 PM
OG&E? I imagine we'll be relying on electricity for quite some time in the future. CHK is another story. Sandridge, well they don't employ that many people DT, about 300. They also haven't got approval for their $100 demolition, uh I mean makeover.

Jethrol
03-17-2010, 05:52 PM
The Gaylords own the Oklahoman and Opry Land I believe. Surprising not to see them on it or Clay Bennett for that matter.They own all kinds of stuff. In the past, I think they owned and/or still own The Grand Ole Opry, hotel in Denver....Biltmore I think, a golf course, the daily disappointment...err oklahoman, gaylord entertainment, etc.

The old man was a billionaire but I'm not sure any of his kids are.

Jethrol
03-17-2010, 05:57 PM
His losing money only impacts the employees because he lost so much stock. The margin call really hurt the share price for the company stock. His normal losses won't impact the employees.

Jethrol
03-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Here's the thing, and why he's so slimy. Chesapeake Energy is a publicly traded company, he doesn't own it, the shareholders do. He's just an employee, like everyone else. He doesn't personally employ anyone at Chesapeake, they are all employees of the company. His personal wealth or lack thereof has zero bearing on the company, or should have zero.

But in Aubrey's case, it's a company that bailed out Aubrey when he got margin called by suddenly making him the highest paid exec in the nation. Chesapeake isn't really a very large company, and it's a company that isn't doing so well due to lackluster (being kind here) gas prices and even worse than that it is very highly leveraged company. Yet it has the highest paid exec in the country. Why?

Aubrey acts like it is his company and his piggy bank, but it's not, and some day soon it's going to be a problem, I hope it doesn't kill the company.
This is what detractors want you to believe. You have to look into the nature of the deals to understand how wrong you are.

Deals in which he was intimately involved in will be worth greater than $10 billion dollars to the company.....these deals will take time to play out but they are quite good for the company as a whole.

He was one of the first to realize that there was a HUGE market for shale gas play leasehold and positioned the company he runs to be either the #1 or #2 player in this acreage. Then he pursued deals with other companies that fully paid off the acreage investment while the company retained the majority of the acreage. Not only that, there are drilling carries associated with these deals which means the partners in the deal pay for CHK's participation in the deal.

The map sale is easily a good deal for the company as there are many high quality maps in the collection that were being used as decoration at the company already.

The media likes to paint the picture that he's raping and pillaging the company but you have to be smart to understand the outstanding deals that he has been involved in. When you look into the details, you'll realize the media is wrong.

Jethrol
03-17-2010, 06:06 PM
That is why I believe that OKC needs to be "much more diversified" besides energy jobs as this will help soften the blow in the event that energy prices plummet even worse. I find it hard to believe that Oklahoma has diversified from the oil and gas industry as OKC Fortune 500 companies Devon, Chesapeake, OG&E are all energy related. Also l hear that Sandridge is levereged quite heavilly and not doing well even though they are doing a major facelift on their DT digs. Simple and plain: do not put all your eggs in one basket. Perhaps if OKC can follow this strategy, then they may perhaps one day have lots of billionares!
Agreed....OKC really needs different industries but we can't just make them want to come to OK. We need incentives for companies to be here and we need competent workers to stay.

More and more, this is occurring.

Shake2005
03-17-2010, 08:23 PM
This is what detractors want you to believe. You have to look into the nature of the deals to understand how wrong you are.

Deals in which he was intimately involved in will be worth greater than $10 billion dollars to the company.....these deals will take time to play out but they are quite good for the company as a whole.

He was one of the first to realize that there was a HUGE market for shale gas play leasehold and positioned the company he runs to be either the #1 or #2 player in this acreage. Then he pursued deals with other companies that fully paid off the acreage investment while the company retained the majority of the acreage. Not only that, there are drilling carries associated with these deals which means the partners in the deal pay for CHK's participation in the deal.

The map sale is easily a good deal for the company as there are many high quality maps in the collection that were being used as decoration at the company already.

The media likes to paint the picture that he's raping and pillaging the company but you have to be smart to understand the outstanding deals that he has been involved in. When you look into the details, you'll realize the media is wrong.

Wow, a whole $10 billion? He's making dramatically more than people that run companies that make $10 billion a month. Think on that.

Jethrol
03-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Wow, a whole $10 billion? He's making dramatically more than people that run companies that make $10 billion a month. Think on that.
A) What companies are you talking about that make $10 billion a month?
B) $10 billion is not chump change....that's serious money.
C) $100 million is only 1% of that amount.

If it was given at one time, that would be ridiculous but it's not, it's a compensation deal that will take years for him to realize all this. However, that's inconvenient for the media who like to hype and you bought the hype.....hook, line and sinker.

What to think for yourself Einstein.

Haters are gonna hate.

Shake2005
03-17-2010, 09:53 PM
There are five companies in the United States with sales better than $10 billion a month, they employ a combined 2.5 million people. He makes more than double of any of those companies CEOs.

The CEO of Wal Mart, the largest company in the world, his company takes in more than half a billion dollars a day. Aubrey makes almost TEN times more money than the Wal Mart CEO does.

onthestrip
03-17-2010, 10:00 PM
A) What companies are you talking about that make $10 billion a month?
B) $10 billion is not chump change....that's serious money.
C) $100 million is only 1% of that amount.

If it was given at one time, that would be ridiculous but it's not, it's a compensation deal that will take years for him to realize all this. However, that's inconvenient for the media who like to hype and you bought the hype.....hook, line and sinker.

Yea, because the future is so predicitable.

But you actually think a $75 million salary is justifiable in a year the companys value tanks?

Spartan
03-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Here's the thing, and why he's so slimy. Chesapeake Energy is a publicly traded company, he doesn't own it, the shareholders do. He's just an employee, like everyone else. He doesn't personally employ anyone at Chesapeake, they are all employees of the company.

... which he owns a majority of shares in. So that brings us right back to.. it being his company.

It's been said that CHK is a Fortune 500 that is ran like Aubrey McClendon's personal small business. That comes with Aubrey's ego, but it also makes CHK infinitely more efficient than other publicly traded corporations.

Pete
03-17-2010, 10:59 PM
which he owns a majority of shares in. So that brings us right back to.. it being his company.

Total outstanding CHK shares are 650 million and McClendon only owns about 2 million of those according to Forbes.

That places his ownership at 0.3%.

ljbab728
03-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Evidently, Chesapeake isn't doing too badly.

Best Companies for job growth - Chesapeake Energy (5) - FORTUNE (http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/fortune/1003/gallery.BestCo_job_growth.fortune/5.html)

Spartan
03-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Total outstanding CHK shares are 650 million and McClendon only owns about 2 million of those according to Forbes.

That places his ownership at 0.3%.

For some reason I was under the misimpression that Aubrey owned just over 50% of his company's shares.

Well that just completely discredits anything I might have to say on Chesapeake.

Jethrol
03-17-2010, 11:38 PM
There are five companies in the United States with sales better than $10 billion a month, they employ a combined 2.5 million people. He makes more than double of any of those companies CEOs.

The CEO of Wal Mart, the largest company in the world, his company takes in more than half a billion dollars a day. Aubrey makes almost TEN times more money than the Wal Mart CEO does.
Right but how many created deals that almost equaled the market cap of the company? $10b is much more significant to CHK than it is to larger companies.

Not only that, the companies establish relationships with global companies that will yield far more than $10b over the years and provides a means for taking the company international.

These are not nearly the insignificant deals you would like them to be. If you look at the deals without your hate and judge them on the merits, you would be singing a different tune.

However, it seems like you're far more vested in hating on someone that is doing really well in life.

Jethrol
03-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Yea, because the future is so predicitable.
what? this makes no sense....the future is predictable, they're signed agreements. Yeah gas prices may fluctuate but these are very good deals for CHK and with it's hedging, they're not nearly as exposed to lower prices as other companies are.

But you actually think a $75 million salary is justifiable in a year the companys value tanks?
You're looking at the value based on the stock price. That's a huge mistake.

Jethrol
03-17-2010, 11:45 PM
... which he owns a majority of shares in. So that brings us right back to.. it being his company.
Actually even before he got margined out, his ownership was only around 6.5%. However he was the founder and has been it's only CEO since it's founding. He's literally been the driving force in building a multibillion dollar company in just 20 years. That's quite a difficult thing.

gen70
03-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Oklahoma...government is sad... Aiways has been. You know and i know that something is "not" right. Has been from the "get". Pro. politicians are blood suckers and think we are stupid. When you get money for your opinion, you are bias..[Rant Over] Wrong thread..Sorry...

MTgrizzly
03-18-2010, 08:50 AM
I am so sad to see my name is not there, is it because I live in MT (nope) it is because I am not a billionaire, darn!!!