View Full Version : Such a waste tax money and cop's time

soonergolfer
03-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Gambling machine raids were conducted Monday at four locations in Oklahoma City, and vice unit officers seized illegal slot machines.

The managers or owners were issued citations on complaints of possessing gambling paraphernalia.

The locations are: The Roadway, 2503 W Reno Ave.; Lee Stop-To-Stop, 3301 S Robinson Ave.; May Avenue Food Plaza, 1220 N May Ave., and Speedy Food Mart, 2331 SE 15.

Master Sgt. Gary Knight said the machines are illegal because they operate as a game of chance in which a player spends money trying to win something of value.

Establishments that allow the machines to be operated on their premises run the risk of losing their licenses to sell beer and to sell lottery tickets, in addition to other criminal and civil penalties, Knight said.

Illegal gambling complaints can be reported to the vice unit at 297-1299.

It amazes me that the city wastes its time with seizing a few machines. I find the cops desription of an "illegal machine" hilarious. It sounds a hell of a lot like a scratch off ticket that you can purchase at thousands of locations.

Midtowner
03-10-2010, 02:12 PM
When the city turns around and auctions these machines off, I think you'll see how it was worth their time to seize them.

mOKCie
03-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Do you mean the law should be changed or allowed to be broken? Allowing laws to be broken without penalty is not the way to go.

nik4411
03-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Master Sgt. Gary Knight said the machines are illegal because they operate as a game of chance in which a player spends money trying to win something of value.

wouldnt those machines full of stuffed animals that you try and grab with the claw fall under that category?
better go seize those too.

Caboose
03-10-2010, 02:44 PM

wouldnt those machines full of stuffed animals that you try and grab with the claw fall under that category?
better go seize those too.

Maybe it can be argued that those claw games are games of skill rather than chance.

nik4411
03-10-2010, 02:50 PM
haha, maybe so.

kevinpate
03-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Maybe it can be argued that those claw games are games of skill rather than chance.

Nope.
Not game of chance.
Not game of skill.
It's a matter of faith.

My, oh, my, how quickly the world forgets the lessons of Toy Story.
:dizzy:

mugofbeer
03-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Gee, I always thought it was the job of the police to enforce laws. I guess I was wrong.....

disinfected
03-11-2010, 02:13 PM
I see these in all sorts of gas stations around here, usually the prize is phone cards. Is it legal to have them with a permit or something?

Kerry
03-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Gambling It amazes me that the city wastes its time with seizing a few machines. I find the cops desription of an "illegal machine" hilarious. It sounds a hell of a lot like a scratch off ticket that you can purchase at thousands of locations.

You didn't by chance get your machine taken did you?

BBatesokc
03-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Personally I don't have a problem with the machines. However, I would have a problem with the city turning a blind eye if they knew they were illegal and they were receiving complaints.

brownb01
03-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Gee, I always thought it was the job of the police to enforce laws. I guess I was wrong.....

Lots of things are illegal. And yes, they should enforce the laws.

let's make sure they stop by your house, and watch you and your wife haivng sex, and let's make sure she doesn't get on top! That's illegal in OK!

That would be kinda silly huh? yeah, well so was this bust. I am sure they have much better things they could be doing. heck, how about just working at reducing stolen cars, and home robberies? Gangs? Murders? Oh the list...

rcjunkie
03-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Lots of things are illegal. And yes, they should enforce the laws.

let's make sure they stop by your house, and watch you and your wife haivng sex, and let's make sure she doesn't get on top! That's illegal in OK!

That would be kinda silly huh? yeah, well so was this bust. I am sure they have much better things they could be doing. heck, how about just working at reducing stolen cars, and home robberies? Gangs? Murders? Oh the list...

There's at least one in every thread

oneforone
03-14-2010, 01:21 AM
Unless I am mistaken... Police are sworn to uphold all laws not just the ones that are causing the biggest problems at the moment.

Besides if they just turned a blind eye and ignored it sooner or later the reporting party would run to the media complaining.

Then we would be griping about the police not responding to citizen reports.

This makes about as much sense as this scenario.

Officer: Sir, I clocked you at 80 in a 55.

Motorist: Why didn't you get the guy who blew past me doing at least 100?

Officer: Why does it matter you were driving just as dangerous.

Pointing out what everybody else is doing wrong just because your in trouble makes you look pathetic. When you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar sometimes it best to take your licks, square yourself away and move on.

geterdone
03-28-2010, 09:09 PM
I felt like it was a joke also when I heard the story on the news. They made such a big deal about it as if they caught Osama Bin Laden.

Kerry
03-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Officer: Sir, I clocked you at 80 in a 55.

Motorist: Why didn't you get the guy who blew past me doing at least 100?

Officer: Why does it matter you were driving just as dangerous.

The real answer is the guy doing 80 was easier to catch.

brownb01
03-30-2010, 08:15 PM
There's at least one in every thread

yeah, maybe so.

My point was there are thousands of laws that are broke and not enforced. We just pick which one society has a problem with, and enforce those.

Oh wait...unless you are in an Indain Casio...and then you can gamble all ya want.

To the point of the orginal poster...there are a lot better things we could be spending our tax dollars on.

Oh...for the the guy that thinks doing 80 is just as dangerous as doing 100...needs to do some math! Figure up what it takes for a car to stop from 100 and 80. The cop better being going after the car doing 100...that guy is endangering much more.

ljbab728
03-30-2010, 10:31 PM
yeah, maybe so.

My point was there are thousands of laws that are broke and not enforced. We just pick which one society has a problem with, and enforce those.

If we have a law that you think shouldn't be enforced the solution is to work to have it repealed. Just because some other laws may not be enforced strictly or often has no bearing at all.

Bunty
03-31-2010, 07:18 AM

There's a number of unjust laws in this supposedly free society. And some people think the cops need to focus more of their time toward looking out for criminal types who are truly doing something like actual harm against the will of the people. There's only so many cops and only so much time.

brownb01
03-31-2010, 07:27 AM
There's a number of unjust laws in this supposedly free society. And some people think the cops need to focus more of their time toward looking out for criminal types who are truly doing something like actual harm against the will of the people. There's only so many cops and only so much time.

Well put.

ronronnie1
03-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Apparently there are no murders, rapes, robberies, or burglaries in Okc city limits if the cops are spending time/money on this. Yeah yeah the machines are illegal and you gotta follow the law and blah blah blah. Just seems the cops' time could be better spent chasing real criminals.

Bad cop - no donut.

ronronnie1
03-31-2010, 09:26 AM
If we have a law that you think shouldn't be enforced the solution is to work to have it repealed. Just because some other laws may not be enforced strictly or often has no bearing at all.

...and slavery used to be the law of the land, and if you didn't turn in a runaway slave, you were breaking the law.

(you don't wanna go there)

brownb01
03-31-2010, 09:55 AM
These are white colar crimes. These people have the money to pay for bail, attorney's, and so on. Hence, they are an income revenue source for the county.

Real crime is a bleed on the economy, and judicail system. Folks commiting real crimes, don't have the money for attorney's, and will sit in jail...at a cost to the county.

Not the only reason white colar crimes are enforced...but it's a factor.

ljbab728
03-31-2010, 09:54 PM
...and slavery used to be the law of the land, and if you didn't turn in a runaway slave, you were breaking the law.

(you don't wanna go there)

That's exactly my point. If there are bad laws or laws that don't need to be enforced, work to have them repealed. Don't be flabbergasted that they are being enforced. I don't want to turn this into a political issue, but the members of the state legislature (Randy Terrill) seem to spend 90% of their time trying to pass laws, that if enforced, are a waste of the taxpayer money.

MikeOKC
03-31-2010, 10:17 PM
It's all a matter of priorities, I suppose. It seems like odd enforcemenmt to me considering what all goes on in this city without raids, but whatever. It's kind of like the big raid on the Michigan Militia as opposed to a raid on the Islamic churches and clubs (with known terrorist blowhards) within a stone's throw of the Capitol building in Washington DC. But, they'll raid the freakin' Michigan Militia. Please. Again, it's about priorities.

ronronnie1
03-31-2010, 10:44 PM
Those "Michigan Militia" weirdos ARE terrorists too. They were plotting to kill some cops, and as much as I dislike cops, organizing a "militia" to shoot them up is terrorism in my book.

Oh but that militia is xtian and we all know that only muslims are evil - xtians are perfect god-like creatures. What was I thinking?

ljbab728
03-31-2010, 10:47 PM
It's all a matter of priorities, I suppose. It seems like odd enforcemenmt to me considering what all goes on in this city without raids, but whatever. It's kind of like the big raid on the Michigan Militia as opposed to a raid on the Islamic churches and clubs (with known terrorist blowhards) within a stone's throw of the Capitol building in Washington DC. But, they'll raid the freakin' Michigan Militia. Please. Again, it's about priorities.

Mike, I agree that the police may, at times, make bad decisions regarding priorities in enforcement, but I'll never complain about the laws that are on the books being enforced as long as the enforcement is even handed and correct.

MikeOKC
03-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Those "Michigan Militia" weirdos ARE terrorists too. They were plotting to kill some cops, and as much as I dislike cops, organizing a "militia" to shoot them up is terrorism in my book.

Oh but that militia is xtian and we all know that only muslims are evil - xtians are perfect god-like creatures. What was I thinking?

I don't know if they're christians or not. I DO know that allegations of threats against cops aren't quite to the level of what the extremist Islamic churches (that are literally within 2 miles of the U.S. Capitol building) are saying. Compare threats against cops with threats of nuclear weapons and blowing up airliners. Protected by their "church" building. Sorry, when we're searched at the airport, do you think it's because the Michigan Militia(!) is out to get us? I mean, really.

I'm not defending the Militia, I am saying when I see raids on Mosques I will THEN know they're serious about "terrorism."

ljbab728
03-31-2010, 11:38 PM
I don't know if they're christians or not. I DO know that allegations of threats against cops aren't quite to the level of what the extremist Islamic churches (that are literally within 2 miles of the U.S. Capitol building) are saying. Compare threats against cops with threats of nuclear weapons and blowing up airliners. Protected by their "church" building. Sorry, when we're searched at the airport, do you think it's because the Michigan Militia(!) is out to get us? I mean, really.

I'm not defending the Militia, I am saying when I see raids on Mosques I will THEN know they're serious about "terrorism."

Mike, tell that to the families of the people killed in the OKC bombing. I'm not sure they would totally agree with you. Domestic terrorism is currently a much bigger threat to us than anything from outside.

MikeOKC
03-31-2010, 11:47 PM
Mike, tell that to the families of the people killed in the OKC bombing. I'm not sure they would totally agree with you. Domestic terrorism is currently a much bigger threat to us than anything from outside.

Was this nutty group (that's not even affiliated with the actual Michigan Militia) involved in the OKC bombing? The answer is no. And no two militia groups are alike. Some are very adamant about staying within the law until the federal government actually tries to suspend constitutional rights. In fact, that same constitution talks about the need for well-armed militias. Read Thomas Jefferson. Most people are shocked at what a radical he was when it came to this very issue. Now, to attempt the same, is viewed as "domestic terrorism" - just as Jefferson predicted!

Do I believe some in this MM offshoot were plotting violence? Maybe. Maybe not. We're big into "security theater" these days and it's quite possible the feds found a "politically correct stage" to play on rather than deal with the radical Islamists. It looked good in the headlines.

Also, the Michigan Militia says on its website (http://www.michiganmilitia.com/) that they had nothing to do with this nutty offshoot called, "The Hutaree."

Both The Southeast Michigan Volunteer Militia and the staff of Michiganmilitia.com condemn attacks or threats of any sort directed against our elected representatives or law enforcement officers. We also condemn those who would use these attacks to further their agenda. We are pleased that the arrests were made without incident or injury; the difference can now be settled reasonably in a court of law, instead of a bloody battlefield.

A well-armed citizenry is the best form of Homeland Security and can better deter crime, invasion, terrorism, and tyranny. The intention of this website is to inform, promote and facilitate the development and training of the militia. Everyone is welcome, regardless of race, creed, color, religion or political affiliation, provided you do not wish to bring harm to our country or people. If you are a United States citizen (or have declared your intent to become such), who is capable of bearing arms, or supports the right to do so, then YOU ARE the MILITIA!

The site also has video of US Attorney Barbara McQuade stating that the actual Michigan Militia was not the target of this investigation.

ljbab728
04-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Was this nutty group (that's not even affiliated with the actual Michigan Militia) involved in the OKC bombing? The answer is no. And no two militia groups are alike. Some are very adamant about staying within the law until the federal government actually tries to suspend constitutional rights. In fact, that same constitution talks about the need for well-armed militias. Read Thomas Jefferson. Most people are shocked at what a radical he was when it came to this very issue. Now, to attempt the same, is viewed as "domestic terrorism" - just as Jefferson predicted!

Do I believe some in this MM offshoot were plotting violence? Maybe. Maybe not. We're big into "security theater" these days and it's quite possible the feds found a "politically correct stage" to play on rather than deal with the radical Islamists. It looked good in the headlines.

Also, the Michigan Militia says on its website (http://www.michiganmilitia.com/) that they had nothing to do with this nutty offshoot called, "The Hutaree."

Both The Southeast Michigan Volunteer Militia and the staff of Michiganmilitia.com condemn attacks or threats of any sort directed against our elected representatives or law enforcement officers. We also condemn those who would use these attacks to further their agenda. We are pleased that the arrests were made without incident or injury; the difference can now be settled reasonably in a court of law, instead of a bloody battlefield.

A well-armed citizenry is the best form of Homeland Security and can better deter crime, invasion, terrorism, and tyranny. The intention of this website is to inform, promote and facilitate the development and training of the militia. Everyone is welcome, regardless of race, creed, color, religion or political affiliation, provided you do not wish to bring harm to our country or people. If you are a United States citizen (or have declared your intent to become such), who is capable of bearing arms, or supports the right to do so, then YOU ARE the MILITIA!

The site also has video of US Attorney Barbara McQuade stating that the actual Michigan Militia was not the target of this investigation.

Mike, you're a little off in your criticism. My point about the OKC bombing was that it was a result of domestic activity and never suggested that it came from this group. This is a quote from the Michigan Militia.

On its Web site, the Michigan Militia denied involvement in the raids.

“Neither MICHIGANMILITIA.COM nor the SMVM (Southeast Michigan Volunteer Militia) have been raided by the FBI. We do nothing illegal,” reads a statement on michiganmilitia.com.

I wasn't trying to indicate that this group was involved at all and they haven't been raided. I still stand by my statement that domestic terrorism is a much bigger threat, and as such, deserves much more attention that the Islamic churches or organizations. We can't ignore any threat but need to turn the most attention to the biggest and most immediate threats.

Bunty
04-01-2010, 12:12 AM

Where the hell does it say in the Oklahoma Constitution or where ever that it's a crime for the female to get on top when in a sex act? If true, why would lawmakers in Oklahoma a hundred years ago think doing that would be going against God's will?

rcjunkie
04-01-2010, 03:10 AM
Where the hell does it say in the Oklahoma Constitution or where ever that it's a crime for the female to get on top when in a sex act? If true, why would lawmakers in Oklahoma a hundred years ago think doing that would be going against God's will?

Bunty, 90% of your postings have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand, you might try reading the subject title 3--4 times before posting.

IT'S WAY PAST TIME TO JUST SAY NO!!

Larry OKC
04-01-2010, 03:58 AM
It is a stream of consciousness thing...did you notice he was responding to someone else's post...which was probably in response to someone else and eventually ya might be able to trace it back to the actual thread topic

brownb01
04-01-2010, 07:33 AM

here are some of them...

Dumb Laws in Oklahoma. Crazy Oklahoma Laws. We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws! (http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/oklahoma)

Bunty
04-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Bunty, 90% of your postings have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand, you might try reading the subject title 3--4 times before posting.

IT'S WAY PAST TIME TO JUST SAY NO!!

Then why is it such a highly severe problem for you to practice what you preach and steer this thread back on topic?