View Full Version : Radio antennas for the home

Jethrol
03-07-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm thinking about investing in a quality receiver and one of the things I really miss is quality AM/FM radio reception in my home. This will be my primary receiver for the home and I'm going to invest in a quality receiver and quality speakers.....so it will be a little while before I buy....got lots of research to do.

I'm wondering about antennas and what you all would suggest. I have an attic that I can put a larger antenna in but I don't know much about them. What should I look for in an antenna and how much should I be prepared to spend? Are there combo antennas that will work with other broadcasts like TV, police scanners, ham radios and things like that or is it just single purpose? I hope these aren't really stupid questions....I'm just an audiophile noob.

oneforone
03-08-2010, 02:51 AM
CCrane would probably be your best bet for antennas. Most retails stores with the exception of a few mom and pop stores have cut down to the bare bones assortment of antennas.

C. Crane Company - Antennas - Toll Free (800) 522-8863 (http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/)

Bunty
03-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Sony's AM FM table radio with HD with a T-wire antenna mounted at the top of the ceiling works fine with me. The antenna is concealed behind a tapestry hanging above my fireplace. Unless you want to try for steady reception from the Tulsa stations, the antennas that come with the radio are probably all you need.

mugofbeer
03-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Instead of an antenna, couldn't you get all the stations you want by tuning into them on the web?

Jethrol
03-08-2010, 09:13 PM
CCrane would probably be your best bet for antennas. Most retails stores with the exception of a few mom and pop stores have cut down to the bare bones assortment of antennas.

C. Crane Company - Antennas - Toll Free (800) 522-8863 (http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/)
Thanks!

Jethrol
03-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Sony's AM FM table radio with HD with a T-wire antenna mounted at the top of the ceiling works fine with me. The antenna is concealed behind a tapestry hanging above my fireplace. Unless you want to try for steady reception from the Tulsa stations, the antennas that come with the radio are probably all you need.
Perhaps. My old receiver is really old so that probably has a lot to do with the reception.

Jethrol
03-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Instead of an antenna, couldn't you get all the stations you want by tuning into them on the web?
Maybe I'm confused.....are you saying that home audio systems have internet capabilities? I'm talking about a quality home audio system with high fidelity sound. Do these come with internet access?

bluedogok
03-08-2010, 10:07 PM
A few do have network connections, mostly for access to a home network and some have expanded capabilities.

I just use a Radio Shack TV antenna (roof/attic mount) for my radio (with a splitter) and the OTA sub-channels that Directv don't carry.

mugofbeer
03-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Maybe I'm confused.....are you saying that home audio systems have internet capabilities? I'm talking about a quality home audio system with high fidelity sound. Do these come with internet access?

I missed the FM radio part - thought you just liked surfing AM radio - I'm the wrong one to try to answer the question you have above but my gut tells me they probably can make the connection.

Jethrol
03-09-2010, 05:46 PM
I missed the FM radio part - thought you just liked surfing AM radio - I'm the wrong one to try to answer the question you have above but my gut tells me they probably can make the connection.
I'm actually interested in FM radio because I love NPR and hate that my current older radios can't pick it up inside the house very well....even though I have antennas on them. Keep in mind, I live in far NW OKC and KGOU is in Norman...but the reception in my car is awesome even when I'm sitting in my garage with the door closed. heh...yeah I've had to do that during interesting stories.

I'm also interested in surfing around on the AM band because it's been years since I did that in my home.

FM music is also cool when working around the house. There's just nothing like KRXO to get me all in the cleaning mood!!