View Full Version : Any VCP cert holders here?

MadMonk
03-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Just passed my VMware VCP4 exam! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/Smileys/woohoo.gif

Anyone else here have it or studying for the VCP cert?

Jethrol
03-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Congrats. I don't have the certs...hell I didn't even know they were available. How difficult were they?

MadMonk
03-07-2010, 08:00 AM
I'd say the test itself was tougher than most of the MCSE exams I've taken (though the MCSE takes much more effort and time to obtain). One thing to keep in mind too is that in addition to passing the exam, you are required to attend a training class. If you pass the test and don't have the training from an approved vendor, you don't get the cert. In that respect, it's just as costly as the MCSE because the classes are are expensive.

As for the test, I don't think the questions were really great at testing day-to-day working knowledge. I've been working with VMware for 3 or 4 years now and I'm pretty comfortable with it, but I was completely guessing at a few questions. The test seemed to focus on things like what obscure options are on a certain rarely-used screen and even some questions on older 3.5 stuff that doesn't apply with 4.0.

I highly recommend using the TestKing study guide on this rather than depending on the official test roadmap and documentation. You constantly hear recommendations that say to focus on system maximums and such and I had no more than 3 or 4 questions on that stuff (out of 85). The TestKing guide was the first certification aid I've ever purchased; I've always gone the self-study route before but from now on I'll pay the extra money for their product.

Jethrol
03-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Good to know...thanks!