View Full Version : OKC Public School Middle School Questions

MuseMOKC
03-06-2010, 02:55 PM
My son enters the 5th grade this fall. As I am not from Oklahoma originally, I am unfamiliar with how the system works for junior high in the Oklahoma City Public Schools. With MAPS the Jr. High he would have entered is gone (Hoover) so he'd go to a high school? (Sorry I'm very confused).

Anyway, I'm not familiar with the charter school set up and would greatly appreciate any tips, advice, school recommendations. I know it is more than a year away, but I really cannot find honest assessments about the schools other than "Move to Edmond, Yukon," or "Enroll in Casady..."

Thanks to everyone in advance.

ewoodard
03-11-2010, 11:17 AM
If your son is entering the 5th grade he will be in elementary school not jr. high. I think the OKCPS system is middle schools now that go 6th to 8th grades then 9th to 12th in high school. I am not sure of the charter school set up myself, but if you will call the district they should give you all the info you need.

MuseMOKC
03-11-2010, 03:14 PM
If your son is entering the 5th grade he will be in elementary school not jr. high. I think the OKCPS system is middle schools now that go 6th to 8th grades then 9th to 12th in high school. I am not sure of the charter school set up myself, but if you will call the district they should give you all the info you need.

I know he has one more year in elementary, but they don't tour the schools until the spring semester of their 5th grade year. Considering there is an application process as well as a lottery for the charter schools, I was hoping to get some impressions about the different charter schools from parents of kids attending. I already contacted the charter schools and searched the websites. I am sorry if my question was not clear. Thanks.

ewoodard
03-11-2010, 04:54 PM
My fault I should have read more carefully, any way good luck!!!!

smooth
03-11-2010, 05:43 PM
My son enters the 5th grade this fall. As I am not from Oklahoma originally, I am unfamiliar with how the system works for junior high in the Oklahoma City Public Schools. With MAPS the Jr. High he would have entered is gone (Hoover) so he'd go to a high school? (Sorry I'm very confused).

Anyway, I'm not familiar with the charter school set up and would greatly appreciate any tips, advice, school recommendations. I know it is more than a year away, but I really cannot find honest assessments about the schools other than "Move to Edmond, Yukon," or "Enroll in Casady..."

Thanks to everyone in advance.

I'm not sure when it was, however, several years ago, the Oklahoma City public schools ruined the breakdown of the schools. They use to be elementry being Kindergarten thru sixth, JUNIOR high was seventh thru ninth, and high school was tenth thru 12th (sophomore thru senior). Now, it's all screwed up. We were proud because we were in junior high. Now it sounds demeaning being in "middle" school.

fuzzytoad
03-11-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm not sure when it was, however, several years ago, the Oklahoma City public schools ruined the breakdown of the schools. They use to be elementry being Kindergarten thru sixth, JUNIOR high was seventh thru ninth, and high school was tenth thru 12th (sophomore thru senior). Now, it's all screwed up. We were proud because we were in junior high. Now it sounds demeaning being in "middle" school.

Several years? ITYM several decades ago..

in the 70/80's it was K-5 = elementary, 6-8 Middle, 9-12 High(with some places splitting 9-10 and 11-12)

Of course, this was in NE OK(Tulsa/BA). I could be completely wrong about OKC.

Wambo36
03-11-2010, 06:17 PM
You're not wrong. OKC public schools have been using the middle school model since at least 1971.

bandnerd
03-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Wouldn't the kiddo just go to another middle school? There still has to be one not too far away...there's a bunch of middle schools in OKCPS. Hoover isn't the only one.

smooth
03-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Several years? ITYM several decades ago..

in the 70/80's it was K-5 = elementary, 6-8 Middle, 9-12 High(with some places splitting 9-10 and 11-12)

Of course, this was in NE OK(Tulsa/BA). I could be completely wrong about OKC.

Years, decades... Semantic. Plus, the Oklahoma City public schools have NOT been using the "middle school" concept since 1971. I was in high school then, and in Oklahoma City, and remember the JUNIOR HIGH I attended was still called JUNIOR HIGH, not "middle school."

Wambo36
03-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Years, decades... Semantic. Plus, the Oklahoma City public schools have NOT been using the "middle school" concept since 1971. I was in high school then, and in Oklahoma City, and remember the JUNIOR HIGH I attended was still called JUNIOR HIGH, not "middle school."

Well I hate to burst your bubble, but that was my first year at Rogers Middle School in the OKC Public School System. I know where I spent the 6th, 7th and 8th grades. It was in a middle school. It actually would have been the 71-72 school year so I guess maybe we're disagreeing over the date at the beginning or the end of the school year.

corpsman
03-15-2010, 08:51 PM
As a fifth grader, your child will be in elementary school. Since you said the old middle school would have been Hoover, and since I don't' know nor do I want to know your address, I can tell you that there are 5 possibilities for middle school once your child enters sixth grade. They are John Marshall, Oklahoma Centennial, Taft, Belle Isle Charter, and Classen SAS (School of Arts and Science).
Good luck

corpsman
03-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Wouldn't the kiddo just go to another middle school? There still has to be one not too far away...there's a bunch of middle schools in OKCPS. Hoover isn't the only one.

bandnerd, the old Hoover Middle School, since MAPS for kids, is now Eisenhower Elementary. What was once Eisenhower Middle School is now Oklahoma Centennial High School/Mid-High. John Marshall also has a combined high school and middle school population as does Frederick Douglass.

corpsman
03-16-2010, 07:07 AM
Well I hate to burst your bubble, but that was my first year at Rogers Middle School in the OKC Public School System. I know where I spent the 6th, 7th and 8th grades. It was in a middle school. It actually would have been the 71-72 school year so I guess maybe we're disagreeing over the date at the beginning or the end of the school year.

Let's don't forget the 5th Year Centers of the mid-70's. Students were grouped K-4, 5-7, 8-10, 11-12 as I remember. Whatever happened to 1-6, 7-9, 10-12? And please don't get me started on Luther Bohanan and his Finger Plan.

ddavidson8
03-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Stay away from Casady. They molest children there. Heritage Hall is a much better choice.