View Full Version : OKC Grand Prix

Pages : [1] 2

Dean-Brown
03-05-2010, 06:39 AM
I heard the end of a conversation on the radio this morning, KQOB BOB FM, that the Mayer has been soliciting information about bringing a Grand Prix even to OKC. Is there any information out there that I have missed?

Thunder
03-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Are you saying.... Bring the Pontiac HQ to OKC?

Kerry
03-05-2010, 07:05 AM
There was a story a few months ago in the Oklahoman that said the guys that brought drag boat racing to the Oklahoma River were forming a new motorsports company to attract an un-named event to OKC every year. I assumed it had more to do with boats than cars but I would love for it to be cars.

Kerry
03-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Just found this.

Mayor Mick Cornett Trying to Bring Grand Prix to OKC - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=12088624)

Mayor Mick Cornett Trying to Bring Grand Prix to OKC
Posted: Mar 05, 2010 2:50 AM EST
Updated: Mar 05, 2010 2:51 AM EST
OKBlitz.com Staff

OKLAHOMA CITY – OKBlitz.com's Dean Blevins has learned that mayor Mick Cornett is pursuing a Grand Prix race in downtown Oklahoma City.

Cornett told Blevins that he has been planning this for five years and has had an engineering group come to the city to lay out a downtown track.

"I believe it will eventually happen," Cornett said. "I just don't know when."

OKCTalker
03-05-2010, 07:19 AM
I could envision much of it downtown with a stretch along the N shore of the Oklahoma River where the walking/biking trail is. Entertainment infrastructure is down that way, and parking could be in the C2S area. What a blast - why not?

LordGerald
03-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Just found this.

Mayor Mick Cornett Trying to Bring Grand Prix to OKC - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=12088624)

It's a neat idea. It won't happen this season though. Since CART and IndyCar have merged, their season is split evenly between road races and ovals. If they can define a track, it could definitely be viable next year. I can see Broadway being a good straight track, or even a pit area.

onthestrip
03-05-2010, 07:26 AM
From someone involved with it, I have heard the same. It would be an annual event, sponsered by the big 3 oil companies and the race would wind it's way through downtown. Sounded pretty damn cool

Kerry
03-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Are we talking CART/Indy or some other racing circuit?

I think I would prefer American Le Mans (notice they are all flex-fuel racing cars)

American Le Mans Series - Welcome Home (http://www.americanlemans.com/)

http://www.automobilesreview.com/uploads/2009/04/911-gt3-rsr-farnbacher-loles-racing.jpg

http://admin.americanlemans.us/drupal-6.9/sites/default/files/images/JaguarLB3.jpg

http://www.knfilters.com/images/press/cr16.jpg

ultimatesooner
03-05-2010, 08:27 AM
all the yuppies that bought expensive condos next to the train tracks and complained about the noise are gonna love this one. Can't wait to see the reaction from the wanna be race car drivers from the fairgrounds too

It would be great for the city though

Kerry
03-05-2010, 08:44 AM
all the yuppies that bought expensive condos next to the train tracks and complained about the noise are gonna love this one. Can't wait to see the reaction from the wanna be race car drivers from the fairgrounds too

Events like this ARE the reason people want to live downtown. If you want peace and quite it is called 'the country'.

earlywinegareth
03-05-2010, 08:51 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about I-44 drivers at 5pm on Fridays...now THAT gets the adrenaline goin'!!

Kerry
03-05-2010, 09:06 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about I-44 drivers at 5pm on Fridays...now THAT gets the adrenaline goin'!!

If the guy behind you is wearing a crash helmet - change lanes and let him pass.

We have a road here in Atlanta called Georgia 400. For a long time I thought that was just a local nickname given to a freeway/Interstate. Turns out there really is a Georgia 400 and it is all its name implies.

workman45
03-05-2010, 09:07 AM

Sorry man, the commute here is so mellow it's unbeliveable. Anywhere in California makes this look like a snoozefest.

That's not a complaint mind you, just an update on reality for the uninformed. :LolLolLol

Kerry
03-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Sorry man, the commute here is so mellow it's unbeliveable. Anywhere in California makes this look like a snoozefest.

How to make a left hand lane change on an LA freeway.

Step 1. Turn right blinker on
Step 2. When everyone moves right to block you, change into the left lane.

betts
03-05-2010, 09:44 AM

It's one weekend. I'd be fine with it, and I suspect most of the other "yuppies" would be as well. And I like the train noise myself.

I must say, although I don't agree with everything he does, Mayor Cornett is nothing but forward thinking. He'll go down as one of the all time great mayors, considering the effect he's had on this city. He thinks big, and we've benfitted.

mark
03-05-2010, 10:35 AM
could this mean they'll fill in some of the potholes or will it be an obstacle course?

Kerry
03-05-2010, 11:36 AM
could this mean they'll fill in some of the potholes or will it be an obstacle course?

Now we know the 'real' reason behind Project 180. Downtown OKC has to be race-ready. BTY - I am just kidding.

animeGhost
03-05-2010, 11:43 AM
This would be awesome for our city. Ive always wanted to see a grand prix race now I might get to see it in my own city!!! Not to mention the cool photos and videos we'd get from that as well as more positive natl attn.

gen70
03-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I used to work in downtown Charlotte N.C. and the traffic going in and out during rush hour was like a NASCAR race. Oh yeah! I would like to see a Grand Prix race in OKC.

Of Sound Mind
03-05-2010, 12:02 PM
How to make a left hand lane change on an LA freeway.

Step 1. Turn right blinker on
Step 2. When everyone moves right to block you, change into the left lane.
:congrats::congrats::congrats:
That's good stuff. Thanks for making me laugh.

metro
03-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Nothing new, he's been working on this for years.

TaoMaas
03-05-2010, 02:41 PM
How long are Grand Prix tracks?

mmonroe
03-05-2010, 03:10 PM
NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com/could-auto-racing-be-coming-back-to-oklahoma-city/article/3444135?custom_click=headlines_widget)

Auto racing could be on its way back to Oklahoma City.

On Tuesday, the City Council will vote on a resolution that would allow the city manager to enter into negotiations with Oklahoma City Grand Prix, LLC, according to the meeting agenda released Friday.

Oklahoma City Grand Prix, LLC, is a company that has been working for more than three years to bring a race to Bricktown.

The proposed street race would be an annual stop on the American LeMans Series schedule, starting in the summer of 2011.

The proposal comes three months after the announcement that racing will likely not return to State Fair Speedway this summer.

CaptDave
03-05-2010, 08:03 PM
This would be a great thing for OKC. The American LeMans Series is the most "cutting edge" racing in the US technologically speaking. They also combine their events with the World Challenge Series often which are as close to real street cars racing as it gets.

theparkman81
03-05-2010, 08:15 PM
I think it will be awesome to have it here.

gen70
03-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Hope it happens.

pinlifter
03-06-2010, 08:29 AM
The mayor mite try getting the Go-Carts back downtown before getting his feet wet with the Big league. BTW World Rally cars would not need the pot holes fixed.

rcjunkie
03-06-2010, 08:55 AM
The mayor mite try getting the Go-Carts back downtown before getting his feet wet with the Big league. BTW World Rally cars would not need the pot holes fixed.

Been there, done that, the Mayor/City is doing the right thing by thinking big.

Watson410
03-06-2010, 04:25 PM
This would be a GREAT event for OKC, not to mention be a huuuuuge hit! I would support something like this in a heartbeat. The Indycar series would be much better than the Le Mans series but i'm not going to be picky, it would be BAD ASS to get either event. Come on Mick! Let's push for this...

Jethrol
03-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Wow...American LeMans would be awesome. How about Formula 1?? Too much to hope for?

I would love to see auto racing here in OKC....the more stuff the better!!

bluedogok
03-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Yeah...F1 in OKC...:LolLolLol

Bernie thinks Indy is to "hickish" and small time for him and Tony G wouldn't agree to the 25-25 million dollar sanctioning fee that Bernie wants and gets from the Middle East and Asian governments. FOTA wants a race or two in the US but until someone pays Bernie's ransom it isn't coming back. We went to the last F1 race at Indy. He wants a NYC street race, there has been a Las Vegas street race idea floated out there. The only FIA sanctioned track in the US (other than Indy) capable of hosting F1 is Miller Motorsports Park outside of Salt Lake City, I don't think Bernie is going there. Laguna Seca and Barber are too small for the F1 circus and Miller would have to build more facilities for it. F1 has been abandoning many of the traditional tracks because they aren't in the cosmopolitan cities that he so desires to get the high rollers. At least Montreal is back on the calendar.

I think an ALMS race would be great, they had it in Houston a couple of years at Reliant Park as a support race to Champ Car. When Champ Car folded the race went away. Until the IRL changes cars they will be a non-starter almost anywhere new. I remembered when CART cars used to test at Hallett, I love that little track.

The F1 season starts next weekend at Bahrain.

Jethrol
03-06-2010, 07:46 PM
They said that about the NBA also.

gsan
03-06-2010, 08:07 PM

Jethrol-

I am a huge fan of F1 and would love for them to come, but they would not in a million years come to OKC.

I have to say it would be great if American Le Mans or IRL came that would be huge.

It is a very exciting time for OKC!

gsan
03-06-2010, 08:10 PM

Bernie thinks Indy is to "hickish" and small time for him and Tony G wouldn't agree to the 25-25 million dollar sanctioning fee that Bernie wants and gets from the Middle East and Asian governments. FOTA wants a race or two in the US but until someone pays Bernie's ransom it isn't coming back. We went to the last F1 race at Indy. He wants a NYC street race, there has been a Las Vegas street race idea floated out there. The only FIA sanctioned track in the US (other than Indy) capable of hosting F1 is Miller Motorsports Park outside of Salt Lake City, I don't think Bernie is going there. Laguna Seca and Barber are too small for the F1 circus and Miller would have to build more facilities for it. F1 has been abandoning many of the traditional tracks because they aren't in the cosmopolitan cities that he so desires to get the high rollers. At least Montreal is back on the calendar.

I think an ALMS race would be great, they had it in Houston a couple of years at Reliant Park as a support race to Champ Car. When Champ Car folded the race went away. Until the IRL changes cars they will be a non-starter almost anywhere new. I remembered when CART cars used to test at Hallett, I love that little track.

The F1 season starts next weekend at Bahrain.

Blue dog are you an F1 fan?

Who do you think is going to take it this year?

It will be a great year:
Schumi's back, Lewis and Jenson are on the the same team and my team Ferrari has Alonso.
It will be very exciting!

I bet Lotus, Virgin and Hispania will not finish the first 5 races.

Jethrol
03-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Jethrol-

I am a huge fan of F1 and would love for them to come, but they would not in a million years come to OKC.

I have to say it would be great if American Le Mans or IRL came that would be huge.

It is a very exciting time for OKC!
I could tell by your post that you're not dogging the city....I'm just having a little fun at your expense.

And I agree....regardless of which series comes, I think it will be awesome and I'll be one of the first to buy tickets, hats, tshirts and any other swag....I'm seriously like the biggest sucker when it comes to souvenirs! I buy all kinds of **** I don't need but I usually either use it or pass it on to someone else via birthday gift.

gsan
03-06-2010, 08:23 PM
I could tell by your post that you're not dogging the city....I'm just having a little fun at your expense.

And I agree....regardless of which series comes, I think it will be awesome and I'll be one of the first to buy tickets, hats, tshirts and any other swag....I'm seriously like the biggest sucker when it comes to souvenirs! I buy all kinds of **** I don't need but I usually either use it or pass it on to someone else via birthday gift.

Whomever comes it will be great for OKC and it will be a blast for us.

Kerry
03-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I will travel to OKC to see this.

Kerry
03-06-2010, 09:56 PM
How is this for a potential track?

1. Start at Reno and Oklahoma Ave
2. East on Reno to Stiles, turn left on Stiles
3. North on Stiles to California Ave, turn right on California
4. East on California to Byers, turn right on Byers
5. South on Byers to Reno, turn left on Reno
6. East of Reno to Lincoln, left on Lincoln
7. North on Lincoln to Sheridan, left on Sheridan
8. West on Sheridan to Central, right on Central
9. North on Central Main, left on Main
10. West on Main to EK Gaylord (under Walnut Ave Bridge) left on EK Gaylord
11. South on EK Gaylord to Reno, left on Reno
12. Finish at Reno and Oklahoma Ave.

Total distance is 1.88 miles, has 10 turns (7 left and 3 right), a chicane down EK Gaylord. and the longest straight away is 0.4 miles. There would be plenty of room for grandstands with access to inner-Bricktown via the canal, multiple overhead walkways and Walnut St Bridge.

bluedogok
03-06-2010, 10:03 PM
The difference is the NBA has a solid track record with single sport mid-sized cities, if Sacramento, San Antonio, Indianapolis and Portland wouldn't have worked (they were considered mid-sized at the time teams were granted or moved) there probably wouldn't have been a chance for OKC.

If they won't go to Indy with the facilities already in place or Watkins Glen (where the USGP was held from 1961-1980), Miller, Barber, Las Vegas, etc. they aren't coming to OKC. The only way that they would consider it is if someone was willing to bankroll it to the tune of $60 million, the $35 million sanctioning fee to FOM and $25 million or more for local improvements/expenses for a street race. Then FOM controls all track advertising so the promoter does not get any revenue from that, the FOM does, that was always a gripe of Tony George about the Indy race.

Blue dog are you an F1 fan?

Who do you think is going to take it this year?

It will be a great year:
Schumi's back, Lewis and Jenson are on the the same team and my team Ferrari has Alonso.
It will be very exciting!

I bet Lotus, Virgin and Hispania will not finish the first 5 races.
After the way last season went with Brawn winning everything early and Ferrari and McLaren bringing up the rear I have no idea, of course I am sure the double deck diffuser had a lot to do with that until the others adapted.

I have always been more of an open wheel/sports car fan, while working away today I had the Grand-Am race at Homestead going, now the AMA at Daytona is on (DMG, what another debacle). CART was always my favorite, ever since the split IRL/ChampCar was never the same and Trans-Am was always a good watch. The problem is now they don't run anywhere close to this part of the country anymore.

The only "big" races that I have been to are two USGP's, Dallas in 1984 and Indy in 2007. Most of the races that I have been to have been the SCCA races at Hallett. I will watch Nascar until the other series start up, .

Watson410
03-09-2010, 08:11 AM
They're suppose to be voting on this right now or sometime this morning.. I hope they pass it or say "OK". I think this can be a great annual event for the City of OKC. Quick question... If we show we can support this kind of event and show interest along with the drag boat event (Interest towards racing in general) Do u think OKC or private investors would consider or be interested in building a Multi-Use race track? (3/4-1 mile concrete oval (NASCAR regulation) with (NHRA regulation) drag strip inside oval and (Indycar/LeMans Reg.) road course.) I believe the people of OKC want professional racing.. they just don't want to drive 3-5 hours north or south to see it... not including Tulsa. Thoughts? Is this just a pipe dream?

onthestrip
03-09-2010, 08:24 AM
I say a definite no to the city building a race track. There are just too few racing events and too many other tracks around the country to justify building one. Just doesn't make financial sense

smooth
03-09-2010, 08:56 AM
I say a definite no to the city building a race track. There are just too few racing events and too many other tracks around the country to justify building one. Just doesn't make financial sense

The city of Oklahoma City would not "build" a track for the Grand Prix. Grand Prix races are conducted on city streets (for the most part) within a set distance which is two miles. The course is with a lot of turns and harder than the NASCAR, Indy, or hicktrack racing.

DISCLAIMER: Hicktracks are these rinky-dink southern or southern want to be dirt ovals such as the State Fairgounds Speedway.

Platemaker
03-09-2010, 09:03 AM

Sorry.... as far as a track goes.... a NASCAR track in Oklahoma City makes perfect sense

smooth
03-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Sorry.... as far as a track goes.... a NASCAR track in Oklahoma City makes perfect sense

I agree. Why go to Texas or Kansas when we can have our own. Plus, Oklahoma City is too large and too modern for hick races like we have had.

CaseyCornett
03-09-2010, 10:25 AM
They're suppose to be voting on this right now or sometime this morning.. I hope they pass it or say "OK". I think this can be a great annual event for the City of OKC.

Vote passed. :woowoo:

Watson410
03-09-2010, 10:34 AM
I agree. Why go to Texas or Kansas when we can have our own. Plus, Oklahoma City is too large and too modern for hick races like we have had.

Your the only one talking about dirt tracks.. I didn't mention anything about that in my post.. I said concrete oval, drag strip and road course, and how is a "grand prix" any different or harder than the Leguna Seca or Watkins Glen's of the world besides being surrounded by buildings?

Kerry
03-09-2010, 11:27 AM
The mayor said the other day he favored a multi-surface race park that would accommodate all types of racing. I take that to mean a dirt track, an asphalt road course, and a drag strip. He wanted to include this type of venue in MAPS III but there wasn't enough support. Most American LeMans series races occur on dedicated tracks, not street courses. Here are the track on the LeMans series.

Sebring
Laguna Seca
Miller Motorsports Park
Lime Rock Park
Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
Road America
Mosport International Raceway
Road Atlanta

Only the race at Long Beach is on street course.

onthestrip
03-09-2010, 01:08 PM
The city of Oklahoma City would not "build" a track for the Grand Prix. Grand Prix races are conducted on city streets (for the most part) within a set distance which is two miles. The course is with a lot of turns and harder than the NASCAR, Indy, or hicktrack racing.

DISCLAIMER: Hicktracks are these rinky-dink southern or southern want to be dirt ovals such as the State Fairgounds Speedway.

Well aware that grand prix is on city streets. I was referring to a NASCAR track. There are only so many events to go around and there are numerous other tracks around the country vying to attract/keep them. If we built one, we still wouldn't be a stop for a NASCAR race.

Kerry
03-09-2010, 01:26 PM
There are far more types of racing than Sprint Cup NASCAR.

smooth
03-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Your the only one talking about dirt tracks.. I didn't mention anything about that in my post.. I said concrete oval, drag strip and road course, and how is a "grand prix" any different or harder than the Leguna Seca or Watkins Glen's of the world besides being surrounded by buildings?

I'm not "Talking" about anything. While on the computer, I write, not talk.

smooth
03-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Well aware that grand prix is on city streets. I was referring to a NASCAR track. There are only so many events to go around and there are numerous other tracks around the country vying to attract/keep them. If we built one, we still wouldn't be a stop for a NASCAR race.

You never mentioned a NASCAR track. You only mentioned a track. That could have been any kind of track.

Watson410
03-09-2010, 01:31 PM
We may not be a guarantee stop as soon as the facilities are built but we would be within 2 or 3 years.. GUARANTEED!!! (well, my guarantee anyways) OKC/OK ranks in the top 3 in TV rating and I don't remember the exact numbers for TX Motor Speedway attendance but if I remember correctly, the owner said Oklahomans make up 25-30% of attendance on race day.. Those numbers may be a little off, but my point is NASCAR knows the interest is here, they just can't do anything about it. If OKC were to build a multi-surface facility the number of events would be endless... there could easily be some sort of racing going on most weekends.

Watson410
03-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm not "Talking" about anything. While on the computer, I write, not talk.

Oh, my apologies. lol.

Kerry
03-09-2010, 01:42 PM
I feel like Bubba from Forrest Gump

Their motorcycle racing, truck racing, semi racing, IMSA, USAC, Nascar Nationwide, Nascar craftsman, sprints, Outlaws, dirt track, ... ... .... ..., American LeMans. That, thats about it.

the hip
03-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Can we have it go down Classen? It needs to be patched up.

CaseyCornett
03-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Oh, my apologies. lol.

Doesn't he technically "type" :doh:

decepticobra
03-09-2010, 03:20 PM
this may seem like a new concept to many Okies, but Long Beach, Ca has done this on an annual basis for over 30 yrs with their Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.

OU Adonis
03-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Ca has done this on an annual basis for over 30 yrs with their Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.

Not sure I want a bunch of Toyota's racing around OKC right now.

bluedogok
03-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Most of the tracks that Nascar runs on are owned by two groups, one being a France (Nascar) family member and the other being Bruton Smith's group (owner of TMS). There is very little hope of getting a Cup race, let alone a 1.5 mile Nascar oval in Oklahoma with TMS and Kansas Speedway so close, the owners would block it, the time has passed to get in on that aspect of Nascar. There are already built "Nascar tracks" that have never held a cup race and really have no hope of getting one, they are having to do some of the lower level Nascar series races in addition to local races to keep afloat.

It does make sense to site the different venues together but you wouldn't normally build a drag strip inside an oval, they just aren't conducive to working together like that, like football and baseball fields in the same stadium has never worked well for either. Most of the time you build a road course inside and oval to attract roval racing for sports cars like the Grand-Am cars or locals like Texas World Speedway in College Station does. You would also build a dirt track outside the main oval like TMS has, as some tracks they even have some night dirt races the same weekend as daytime big races.

smooth
03-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Most of the tracks that Nascar runs on are owned by two groups, one being a France (Nascar) family member and the other being Bruton Smith's group (owner of TMS). There is very little hope of getting a Cup race, let alone a 1.5 mile Nascar oval in Oklahoma with TMS and Kansas Speedway so close, the owners would block it, the time has passed to get in on that aspect of Nascar. There are already built "Nascar tracks" that have never held a cup race and really have no hope of getting one, they are having to do some of the lower level Nascar series races in addition to local races to keep afloat.

It does make sense to site the different venues together but you wouldn't normally build a drag strip inside an oval, they just aren't conducive to working together like that, like football and baseball fields in the same stadium has never worked well for either. Most of the time you build a road course inside and oval to attract roval racing for sports cars like the Grand-Am cars or locals like Texas World Speedway in College Station does. You would also build a dirt track outside the main oval like TMS has, as some tracks they even have some night dirt races the same weekend as daytime big races.

I hear this crap a lot about a lot of things. If NASCAR tracks in the mid Atlantic and Southeast can survive with many being closer together than that craphole to the south or Kansas, then it can be just as successful here. You can not say what owners will do.