View Full Version : 2012

Thunder
03-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Watching the movie, at the part where a telephone conversation is taking place on a ship after a huge chunk of California sunk into the ocean.

This really gets me to thinking. What if this will actually happen?

It's like the movie, The Day after Tomorrow, which holds true and make the most perfect sense.

Now this movie, 2012.

I say the governments of all nations and leading scientists are keeping a tight shush-shush on this. Extensive projects underway right now. The time is getting closer.

Look at us, we are already witnessing the pre-warnings with the amount of earthquakes that we have been getting and scientists are predicting more, even stronger, quakes to come for the states.

It was mentioned that something funny is happening with the sun right now.

I fear that it will only get worse, much more than we all have been expecting.

Well, back to the movie. The cig is done.

kevinpate
03-05-2010, 04:57 AM

I say the governments of all nations and leading scientists are keeping a tight shush-shush on this. Extensive projects underway right now. The time is getting closer. ...

Well, they were until you decided to blab about it. :numchucks

By the way, as you go to work today, if you are approached by three men in dark suits, skinny ties, and ugly, overly starched shirts .... RUN!
:LolLolLol

bandnerd
03-05-2010, 05:26 AM
I can never get over how much delight and joy you get from doomsday scenarios, Thunder. It really makes me wonder about you.

Thunder
03-05-2010, 06:13 AM
Here is a post from my blog.

I have seen the preview of this movie before it hit the theaters. Other than that, I was not aware of the time it went to the theaters and the release date on disc. The other day, I saw that it was coming soon on Blu-Ray and a couple of hours earlier, I saw one available at 7-Eleven. Of course, I grabbed it!

2012 is a really awesome movie with a lot of special effects. I enjoyed it quite much, of course, with my two feline sons. I drank beer. :) Not just a movie, this is one film that will really get you to be thinking. Can this happen? Or is the real question is... Will this definitely happen in our lifetime? If so, how severe will it be?

Right now, something is happening. Look at the events across the world, especially here at home, in OKlahoma. Earthquakes. More and more earthquakes are starting to surface, several of them are quite strong to devastating. This is only the beginning. To be more accurate, this is a warning to pre-2012 and that day will come.

More focus on Oklahoma. We been having more earthquakes now than ever before. A couple had been above 4.0 and all of them had been at least 2.0 except for the one being slightly less. Scientists and Geologists are now investigating these quakes. More equipments are urgently being flown in across the state. Newly discovered, there are unknown fault lines and they are rapidly shifting. In addition, the ground temperature at depth is much warmer.

There have been reports of the sun's strange activity that is affecting the Earth's magnetic fields. With that, and all of the other factors combined, the planet continue to become more unstable and disastrous events will continue to unfold. Do not forget that the Scientists also support that the alignment in our galaxy will occur in 2012.

2012. Watch the movie. Ask yourself the questions. Do the research. Most importantly, be prepared.

Midtowner
03-05-2010, 07:06 AM
Movies = Entertainment =/= reality.

It's that simple. 'Course, if you think I'm wrong, get some credit cards and go to Tahiti.

Thunder
03-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Movies = Entertainment =/= reality.

It's that simple. 'Course, if you think I'm wrong, get some credit cards and go to Tahiti.

Or Chile. It's only the beginning.

mugofbeer
03-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Yeah, there's no recorded history of earthquake or volcanic activity in the world until just the last few years. Its starting and its a sign....

OKCisOK4me
03-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Did you watch any of the special features? Or were they not included with the rented DVD? The reason I ask is because there's this survivalist guy on there who's opinion it is that it will happen in a matter of hours on that date - December 21st, 2012 (coincidentally just like the movie, lol). I've read many books on the subject and it is DEF interesting reading.

If all is true on this day and it happens to be the day that God (or a god) is going to take us out to the big dance then I'm going to accept my fate with arms wide open like Harrelson's character did--although, I don't think I'll be preaching from a mountain top with a mega radio on my back, lol. Or maybe I'll just request the day off and sleep through it...

Either way, yesterday, this thought popped into my head. Everything about the universe seems to be pointed in our direction--as, we're the center of the universe. They say that our sun is suppose to go through the dark rift which aligns with the center of the universe. Or is it the galaxy? Either way, it's space. Obviously the galaxy has a center but how do we know that the sun hasn't passed a certain invisible line in space already? And the universe? We can't pinpoint the center of the universe so how do we know that the sun is going to go through some imaginary line?

All I gotta say is cockameemee bs! The earth is (yes I know some people think younger) 4.5 billion years old. The Mayan Calendar is 5,126 years long per age. I'd have to imagine scientists would have seen evidence of previous major solar flares that left unimaginable scars to the earth in the past! Just keep on breathing and worrying about the scenarios close to home, lol. Mega tornadoes and snowstorms!

silvergrove
03-05-2010, 01:21 PM
For those who think the earth's alignment on Dec. 21, 2012 will lead to the end of the world need to watch this:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QJjQMwEjC1I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QJjQMwEjC1I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

/facepalm

FritterGirl
03-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Forget, 2012. The world will already be gone by then. I'd gather your friends and relatives around now. We've only got a year, it seems, give or take a few days, or weeks, or months.

Predictions that the end of the world will happen during the 2010s (http://www.religioustolerance.org/end_wrl18.htm)

venture
03-05-2010, 03:09 PM
It'll happen eventually and the day it does will be a wonderful day for humanity. Complete humbling and realization we can't control everything. Whether it be when the sun goes crazy, or when it finally burns out...or if it is a big ol' rock hurling at us like what happened 65 million years ago. These things happen. When its time for our planet to go through the typical reboot, so be it.

nik4411
03-05-2010, 10:28 PM
this is absolutely hilarious. thanks for the laughs.

oh and thunder, i dont remember the day after tomorrow much, but what has held true from that movie?
you are bugging out man. the world isn't ending anytime soon. quit worrying. you dont think in the last million years there has been earthquake activity?
this is just more Y2K type of horse ****.

nik4411
03-05-2010, 10:37 PM
oh and thunder im not ragging on you man, but like bandnerd said, it seems you think about this stuff a lot. dont worry about it man!

USG '60
03-06-2010, 06:35 AM
And Thunder, your having held a job for a whole year is NOT a sign of the end times, man. I know it can seem like it, but it isn't. :tiphat:

dismayed
03-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Check out the historical records for the late 1800's. Lots of hurricanes, earthquakes, and other natural disasters that killed huge numbers of people.

kevinpate
03-06-2010, 03:12 PM
sniff, sniff

I'm agonna miss all y'alls sooo much

snif, snif hwoooooonnnnnnkkk :whiteflag

USG '60
03-06-2010, 03:29 PM
What year was Krakatoa (Sp?) ?

bandnerd
03-06-2010, 03:57 PM
It's most violent eruption, or rather, one of the most violent volcanic eruptions ever recorded, was in 1883. Over 36,000 people died. Later eruptions from the same volcano have actually created new islands around the original island (of which 2/3 was destroyed in this eruption) that they have aptly named Anak Krakatoa, or "Child of Krakatoa."

Source: Wikipedia.

gen70
03-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Y2K!..Don't freak..

Jethrol
03-06-2010, 10:43 PM
For those who think the earth's alignment on Dec. 21, 2012 will lead to the end of the world need to watch this:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QJjQMwEjC1I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QJjQMwEjC1I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

/facepalm
hahaha.....great video!!

gen70
03-06-2010, 11:04 PM
The world will always be here. It's just reality for you now. Send your money to me now for the answers.

venture
03-07-2010, 12:30 AM
The world will always be here. It's just reality for you now. Send your money to me now for the answers.

Always is a long time. :-P Our little rock will go away, eventually. From everything I've read, in about 1 billion years the sun will have grown enough to scorch the Earth with x-rays and nearly all water will be gone by then. The sun will be a full fledged red giant by 5 billion years and will have expanded past the earth's orbit... engulfing the planet.

Of course we don't know how things will exactly transpire, but I would guess we'll see some changes to the earth's orbit as well as the sun continues to grow.

Needless to say, the planet we call Earth will eventually be gone, but so will the human race...about 4 billion years before it.

RedDirt717
03-08-2010, 04:25 AM
YouTube - The End of the World (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCpjgl2baLs)

This is probably more likely.

*Bad language*

SkyWestOKC
03-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Always is a long time. :-P Our little rock will go away, eventually. From everything I've read, in about 1 billion years the sun will have grown enough to scorch the Earth with x-rays and nearly all water will be gone by then. The sun will be a full fledged red giant by 5 billion years and will have expanded past the earth's orbit... engulfing the planet.

Of course we don't know how things will exactly transpire, but I would guess we'll see some changes to the earth's orbit as well as the sun continues to grow.

Needless to say, the planet we call Earth will eventually be gone, but so will the human race...about 4 billion years before it.

How does it grow when it's fuel is itself? When it burns long enough, it will run out of fuel. Don't dieing stars explode when they run out of gas?

PennyQuilts
03-15-2010, 06:54 PM
It'll happen eventually and the day it does will be a wonderful day for humanity. Complete humbling and realization we can't control everything. Whether it be when the sun goes crazy, or when it finally burns out...or if it is a big ol' rock hurling at us like what happened 65 million years ago. These things happen. When its time for our planet to go through the typical reboot, so be it.

I'm with you, Venture. Of course, doesn't mean I wouldn't fight like hell to survive but we're nuts to think it won't happen, eventually. Although, actually, I figure the germs will get us before a mean astroid or a flickering sun will.

venture
03-16-2010, 12:11 AM
How does it grow when it's fuel is itself? When it burns long enough, it will run out of fuel. Don't dieing stars explode when they run out of gas?

Wiki actually has a good article on this: Red giant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_giant)

Source: Zeilik, Michael A.; Gregory, Stephan A. (1998). Introductory Astronomy & Astrophysics (4th ed.). Saunders College Publishing. pp. 321–322. ISBN 0030062284.

When the star exhausts the hydrogen fuel in its core, nuclear reactions in the core stop, so the core begins to contract due to its gravity. This heats a shell just outside the core, where hydrogen remains, initiating fusion of hydrogen to helium in the shell. The higher temperatures lead to increasing reaction rates, producing enough energy to increase the star's luminosity by a factor of 1,000–10,000. The outer layers of the star then expand greatly, beginning the red giant phase of the star's life. Due to the expansion of the outer layers of the star, the energy produced in the core of the star is spread over a much larger surface area, resulting in a lower surface temperature and a shift in the star's visible light output towards the red — hence red giant, even though the color usually is orange. At this time, the star is said to be ascending the red giant branch of the Hertzsprung-Russell (H-R) diagram.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7c/Sun_red_giant.svg/676px-Sun_red_giant.svg.png

The Sun is expected to become a red giant in approximately five billion years.[7] It is calculated that the Sun will become sufficiently large to engulf the current orbits of the solar system's inner planets, up to Earth,[11][12][13] and its radius will expand to a minimum of 200 times its current value.[14] The Sun will lose a significant fraction of its mass in the process of becoming a red giant, and there is a chance that Mars and all the outer planets will escape as their resulting orbits will widen.[15] Mercury and most likely Venus will have been swallowed by sun's outer layer at this time. Earth's fate is less clear. Earth could technically achieve a widening of its orbit and could potentially maintain a sufficiently high angular velocity to keep it from becoming engulfed. In order to do so, its orbit needs to increase to between 1.3 AU (190,000,000 km) and 1.7 AU (250,000,000 km).[16] However the results of studies announced in 2008 show that due to tidal interaction between sun and Earth, Earth would actually fall back into a lower orbit, and get engulfed and incorporated inside the sun before the sun reaches its largest size, despite the sun losing about 38% of its mass.[17] Before this happens, Earth's biosphere will have long been destroyed by the Sun's steady increase in brightness as its hydrogen supply dwindles and its core contracts, even before the transition to a Red Giant. After just over 1 billion years, the extra solar energy input will cause Earth's oceans to evaporate and the hydrogen from the water to be lost permanently to space, with total loss of water by 3 billion years.[18] Earth's atmosphere and lithosphere will become like that of Venus. Over another billion years, most of the atmosphere will get lost in space as well;[15] ultimately leaving Earth as a desiccated, dead planet with a surface of molten rock.

Richard at Remax
03-16-2010, 02:02 PM
as a geologist the whole notion of the day after tomorrow offends me. only trying to capiltalize on the al gore success of an inconvienent truth. which turned out to be false because the scientists left out chunks of data that would have proved it is all a fabrication.

venture
03-16-2010, 03:49 PM
as a geologist the whole notion of the day after tomorrow offends me. only trying to capiltalize on the al gore success of an inconvienent truth. which turned out to be false because the scientists left out chunks of data that would have proved it is all a fabrication.

It was a movie that was entertaining, nothing more than that - is how I took it. I think until we have the ability to actually see clear real time images of what is going on beneath our feet, a lot of what we know is a crap shoot. Unfortunately I don't believe there is any ability to show real time imagining of fault lines, magma chambers, etc. I know we have ground-penetrating radar...but nothing like the current network of weather radars that would show faults, magma, other things under us and detect stress/movement.

kevinpate
03-16-2010, 06:52 PM
.oO(Am I a horrid bit of dust bunny to not care about 5 billion years out?)Oo.