View Full Version : Think he's worth it? Time to pony up!

mugofbeer
03-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Kevin Durant says he'll sign a max deal if Thunder offers this summer.

NewsOK (http://newsok.com/kevin-durant-says-hell-sign-a-max-deal-if-thunder-offers-this-summer/article/3443827?custom_click=lead_story_title)

kevinpate
03-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm recalling all the rabble babble of some on how the young star would bolt OKC at the first opp available.

And then I just sit back and chuckle as I read the current article

BoulderSooner
03-04-2010, 09:53 PM
just a note .. .that writer needs to check his facts ..

KD will not be unrestricted in the summer or 2011 ... he will be a restricted FA that summer and the thunder would have the right to match any offer

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
03-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Either way, yes it is/will be worth it.

circled9
03-05-2010, 08:15 AM
off the subject just a tad but tonights came against the clippers is huge. will the team be able to come back from wednesday nights blowout against denver against a team they do not match up well against on the road? i will be very impressed if they can. kevin is supposed to be their leader so this will give him an opportunity to sh

TaoMaas
03-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Regarding the topic of this thread: Yes, I think KD is worth it if we're serious about wanting a competitive NBA team in this city. I was reading an article about him yesterday and the consensus around the league is that KD is a bit of a freak...and I mean that in the best possible way! He's too quick and too good of a shooter to be as tall as he is. If you put a small, fast guy on him, he just elevates and shoots over them. If you put someone his size on him, he goes around them. So...if we don't do all we can to hang onto KD, I don't know who we'll go get because we'll have to pay as much (and more likely more) to get someone else of his caliber in here. I say, "Pay the man and let's go win some more ballgames!"

betts
03-05-2010, 01:09 PM
He is worth every penny. He's not only a great player, but he's a great ambassador for the team and this city. We would be fools not to look him up for as long as possible.

TaoMaas
03-05-2010, 01:51 PM
...he's a great ambassador for the team and this city.

Forgetting for a minute how good of a player KD is, this is a huge reason to keep him. Certain people are going to lead and influence others, so when you have one of those dominant people, you better be sure that they're going to lead folks in the direction you want them to go. I don't think we could ask for a better role model in that respect than Durant. On another thread, we were talking about whether it would be smart to pick up Allen Iverson. Knowing that other players are going to take a cue from the behavior of the best players, who would we rather have influencing our team...a guy who works his tail off or one who thinks it's beneath him to show up for practice? KD's the guy we want...no doubt about it.

CCOKC
03-05-2010, 11:34 PM
I heard that Magic Johnson told KD that the NBA needs him. If the NBA needs him then I would think we would want him to be here. BTW his interview with Magic will air during halftime of the national ABC broadcast on Sunday. He's the toast of the association right now.

RadioOKC
03-06-2010, 10:23 AM
KD has to stay. We would be foolish to let him go. Great role model and player!

Chris
Radio OKC - Where it's all about the music! (http://radiookc.com)

Jethrol
03-06-2010, 05:29 PM
This reminds me so much of Bob Stoops. When he came to OU, everyone was asking how long he was going to stay. Whenever there has been an opening at another top school, the press starts in....."Stoops is the #1 choice." or "Stoops said to be considering the job at ______ university" Then when they interview him he says, "Not going anywhere. Let me say that again, I'm happy here and won't be leaving anytime soon." Yet the next big opening that shows up, the rumors will start again.

You know, I love OKC but we seriously seem to be stuck in this 2nd class mentality where outstanding players and coaches just don't want to come here....because....after all, it's Oklahoma. Well you know what....I don't agree. I don't think that Texas, Chicago, California are any better than us. OK is just fine and ever big named players, coaches and people seem to agree.

But keep it quiet.....we don't want all the jerks to move here.

I'm glad KD is enjoying his stay here and I seriously hope the management pay's up. He's totally worth it. IMO they should resign him ASAP!!

Celebrator
03-06-2010, 05:43 PM
This reminds me so much of Bob Stoops. When he came to OU, everyone was asking how long he was going to stay. Whenever there has been an opening at another top school, the press starts in....."Stoops is the #1 choice." or "Stoops said to be considering the job at ______ university" Then when they interview him he says, "Not going anywhere. Let me say that again, I'm happy here and won't be leaving anytime soon." Yet the next big opening that shows up, the rumors will start again.

You know, I love OKC but we seriously seem to be stuck in this 2nd class mentality where outstanding players and coaches just don't want to come here....because....after all, it's Oklahoma. Well you know what....I don't agree. I don't think that Texas, Chicago, California are any better than us. OK is just fine and ever big named players, coaches and people seem to agree.

But keep it quiet.....we don't want all the jerks to move here.

I'm glad KD is enjoying his stay here and I seriously hope the management pay's up. He's totally worth it. IMO they should resign him ASAP!!

PREACH ON, brother, you could not be more correct!

Laramie
03-07-2010, 01:19 PM
I hope that the Thunder takes Durant up on this offer. What has this team had to pay upon relocation to Oklahoma City?

Nothing!

We took up the Ford Center concerns (Improvements for NBA-Ready) after relocation was apparent and the State Legislators did their part in passing some incentive.

Bennett & PBC did overpay ($85 million) for this franchise and they did incur losses ($60 million) while in Seattle; however, the ownership can now focus on fine-tuning this franchise to make it competitive and acceptable to the Oklahoma City community.

jstanthrnme
03-07-2010, 08:20 PM
I heard that Magic Johnson told KD that the NBA needs him. If the NBA needs him then I would think we would want him to be here. BTW his interview with Magic will air during halftime of the national ABC broadcast on Sunday. He's the toast of the association right now.

Kevin Durant Sits Down With Magic Johnson - ESPN Video - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4974421&categoryid=2378529)

He had good things to say about OKC to Magic Johnson.

Jethrol
03-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Kevin Durant Sits Down With Magic Johnson - ESPN Video - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4974421&categoryid=2378529)

He had good things to say about OKC to Magic Johnson.
That is a VERY cool interview!!! Thanks for posting it!

I couldn't be more thrilled to have KD and the rest of the Thunder team right here in OKC. The players really seem to be fitting right into this community. I have a friend that goes to church with one of the players and he says he's the most down-to-earth guy you'd ever want to meet. Laid back, cool and very easy to talk to.

Seriously....remember this time. It's that time where so many people still don't realize what a great thing we have going here. Too bad for all those pps that moved away and missed the transformation. They'll be back!