View Full Version : Interesting way to attract Google.

circuitboard
03-02-2010, 07:43 PM
CNN) -- At 79, Bill Bunten doesn't exactly understand the Internet boom. The Topeka, Kansas, mayor has an e-mail account, he said, but his assistants take care of most of his online communications and tend to search the Web for him.
But Bunten believes so firmly that younger residents of Kansas' capital city will benefit from faster Internet connections that he wants Topeka -- which he describes as a place of many lakes and the site of a burgeoning market for animal-food research -- to change its name for a month.
In a formal proclamation Monday, Bunten announced his city will be known as "Google" -- Google, Kansas

Topeka 'renames' itself 'Google, Kansas' - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/03/02/google.kansas.topeka/index.html?hpt=C1)

hoya
03-02-2010, 09:56 PM
They have the Internet on computers now?

animeGhost
03-02-2010, 11:03 PM
I really hope okc is working on a bid for the google internet.

sgray
03-03-2010, 02:06 AM
I did a short write-up on google's site when that whole thing came out last month, explaining why OKC should be considered. They may still be accepting input from citizens as well as city leaders. While not a disconnected city by any means, we should go after any high-tech projects we can.

OKC@heart
03-03-2010, 06:54 AM
I too wrote and requested a bid for OKC. I hope that as many as can will take the time to put it forward

hipsterdoofus
03-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Yeah...apparently Topeka also renamed their city Topikachu a few years ago too...I'm not impressed.

kevinpate
03-03-2010, 07:11 AM
> Bunten announced his city will be known as "Google" -- Google, Kansas

Wonder if they hired any decent artists to make cutesy with the logo?