View Full Version : Keep It Local OK movement

Pages : [1] 2

metro
03-02-2010, 07:21 AM
I'm kind of disappointed and surprised that no one posted anything on this yet. Their launch party was last week.

Welcome to Keep It Local OK! (http://www.keepitlocalok.com/)

CaseyCornett
03-02-2010, 07:23 AM
I was at the launch and, unsurprisingly, it was packed. "1708"/"Cafe Evoke" is such a cool little venue.

FritterGirl
03-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Wanted to go to the launch, but had another engagement. It IS a cool initiative. Can't wait to get my card.

mugofbeer
03-02-2010, 08:02 AM
It's easy - Sonic instead of McDonalds.
Johnnies instead of Chili's

what else folks? Get some good names out there!

CaseyCornett
03-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Rococo Restaurant, Iguana Grill...

EvokeCoffee
03-02-2010, 12:02 PM
We are excited to be a part of it! I hope everyone gets out and picks up their cards and starts shopping (or eating or whatever)!

Matt
03-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Johnnies instead of Chili's

Apple's instead of Orange's.

How 'bout Pizza House instead of Papa John's? Crest instead of Walmart?

OKC@heart
03-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Fantastic Idea!!! It is this type of local thinking that is going to help continue to grow the local economy. Keep the multiplier effect going in our local economy not in the coffers of the national chains! Woohoo!!! When I move back that will be one of my first acquisitions! Get the card that makes a statement and supports those who have invested in the city!

gmwise
03-02-2010, 12:44 PM
I hope the lack of publicity isnt an indication of dedication of its leadership.

Urbanized
03-02-2010, 02:57 PM
I know you're probably just trolling with your negativity, but I'll bite. To question "the dedication of its leadership" less than a week after the launch party - and as far as I can guess because you haven't happened to see or hear ads - is pretty unfair. Especially when the launch party was - by all accounts I've heard - hugely successful.

I know I personally have seen quite a bit of advertising locally for them, and I've seen articles about them in the Gazette and The Oklahoman. But beyond that, my understanding is that much of their strategy relies on social media and what social media experts are referring to as "influencers." This fits perfectly with the national buy local movement, which is heavily driven by social media and local "influencers." Those people are far more likely to buy into the buy local movement than the average person they might catch by advertising on the 6 PM news. They're more qualified prospects.

By that measure, they hit the exact right notes involving Cafe Evoke, Chef Ryan Parrott and COOP Aleworks, who are all leaders in the local social media for business scene. Another measure of their social media success is that within a week of launch they have 1,600 fans on Facebook and 1,800 followers on Twitter. In all fairness they have been active on FB and Twitter for a while, but anybody who is working to build their business online social media following will tell you that those are impressive numbers.

metro
03-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Not to mention it's a nonprofit and don't have deep pockets to advertise like traditional media.

mugofbeer
03-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Don't expect regular TV/Radio/Newspaper media who is owned by and/or relies on national corporate advertising to some extent to highly publicize such a group. The Gazette and other community publications would be the ones to do that. If the organization has sufficient financial support they can do their own advertising.

Urbanized
03-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Well, The Oklahoman is not totally running away from them:

Here's a NewsOK video (http://feeds.newsok.tv/services/player/bcpid1815820490?bctid=69317874001) that Keep It Local OK just linked on Twitter.

tuck
03-03-2010, 05:09 AM
This movement will gain traction in time. AGE has joined for all locations; such an easy decision. The launch party was full all night long. I don't see a downside at all.

stephy
03-03-2010, 06:59 AM
So, umm, does this mean you people now don't want Whole Foods or Trader Joes here?

I'm really trying to understand this city, but I see the exact same people in this thread chiming in on getting a WF here, or filling out a survey to show how much we want some of the more affluent chains in OKC. Not to mention numerous other threads that are the exact opposite in ideals as the subject of this thread.

Which is it?

metro
03-03-2010, 07:42 AM
stephy, I think with anything, diversity is key; as the old saying goes, don't put all your eggs in one basket. I think most of the posters here want a healthy mix of good local retail selection, coupled with a few highly desirable national chains that the locals just can't offer due to economies of scale.

stephy
03-03-2010, 07:46 AM
But that's not "Keeping it Local". If the locals can't offer something due to economics, then obviously they aren't being supported by the local community.

mugofbeer
03-03-2010, 11:23 AM
So, umm, does this mean you people now don't want Whole Foods or Trader Joes here?

I'm really trying to understand this city, but I see the exact same people in this thread chiming in on getting a WF here, or filling out a survey to show how much we want some of the more affluent chains in OKC. Not to mention numerous other threads that are the exact opposite in ideals as the subject of this thread.

Which is it?

Whole Foods or Trader Joe's (what I understand of it since I've never seen one) DOES NOT EQUAL Homeland or Buy-4-Less. Two different types of stores that don't have an OK owned alternative.

stephy
03-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Whole Foods or Trader Joe's (what I understand of it since I've never seen one) DOES NOT EQUAL Homeland or Buy-4-Less. Two different types of stores that don't have an OK owned alternative.

Hmm, well I never said that WF & Trader Joes = homeland or buy-4-less.

I'm actually not really sure where you're trying to go with this.

A quick look in the yellow pages shows me LOTS of locally and OK owned alternatives.

short list:

Oklahoma Food Cooperative
Sooner Produce
First Fruits Berry Farm
Pinata Produce
Agnew Grocery
Anderson Food mart
Angels Produce

and, of course, Akins

I've only lived here for a few months so I, of course, don't know where ALL the locally owned grocery places are, but I'm sure this "Keep It Local" initiative can produce a bunch more alternatives.

Maybe if more of these stores were supported by the locals, they would thrive and become as "elite" as WF. Of course, maybe WF will see this initiative and decide it's not in their best interest to enter such a hostile market.

<shrug> who knows?

progressive_liberal_lion
03-03-2010, 12:05 PM
lol

gmwise
03-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Sorry Urbanized,I wasnt trying to "troll",just a observation and a hope.
But I'm sure the "locals" could have done a better job.
Reaching out to neighborhood associations, and other community groups.
But muggs make a good point to say unless they have finances to fund their own publicity.
Those media outlets tend not to support a "buy local" unless it comes with a nice ad buy.
I have not heard of them on Twitter nor Facebook.
All media outlets have "local happenings", once again I have not read or heard of it.

Urbanized
03-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/KeepItLocalOK?ref=ts)

Twitter (http://twitter.com/keepitlocalok)

Web (http://www.keepitlocalok.com)

mugofbeer
03-03-2010, 10:52 PM

Which is it?

Stephy, I don't know if I am understanding you or not but if you are new to the city here is my take. OKC is a city that has lived through a very long period of having an inferiority complex. It is a city that has a lot of people but has not had as much wealth as many cities it's size. Outside retailers look at OKC and see there is no concentrated area of wealth and wealthy demographics so they have often chosen to skip OKC. Other, smaller cities such as Tulsa or Omaha or Albuquerque have gotten certain retailers where OKC has not.

OKC is traditionally a value oriented city - thus our love for fast food restaurants, Wal Mart and anything that can be gotten cheaper. However, with MAPS, improved economy with higher oil and gas prices and some good fortune like landing an NBA team, people are breaking out of that inferiority complex. Except for a shrinking group of ever-nay-sayers who won't support anything that is an investment in their city, people in OKC are looking for alternatives.

People here have long gone to other cities for shopping excursions. When we go to Dallas or KC or Atlanta or Austin and see some of the venues they have for simple things like grocery stores, a segment of the citizens here would like to have that. Whole Foods is an example of an organic grocer who has tremendous meats, fish, produce and prepared foods - something that can't be easily found here.

Personally, I don't care about the organic issue but lots of people do. I'd be happy to just see a top quality regular grocery store open a few locations that has a butcher shop, prepared foods and great produce. Sure, I'll go to Kamps when I can because it is local but its a long way from where I live.

Finally, related to the fact a lot of people in OKC want new alternatives that are found in most other large US cities, there is image. We are trying to break out of our inferiority complex and image means a lot. Its not trying to be vein but simply growing up some. When a city has more to offer, it's children might think more about staying home rather than looking for a better life in Dallas or Atlanta or Chicago.

Hope that helps.

betts
03-04-2010, 01:32 AM
I don't think buying local and wanting a few national chains are necessarily mutually exclusive. One of the reasons some of the national chains exist is because they offer either unique or interesting items that aren't available elsewhere. One can do some shopping in those types of stores while also attempting to support stores that are locally owned. Most of those chains started out as a single store somewhere. For example, Restoration Hardware sells drapes and curtain rods. It's virtually impossible to buy those from a strictly local store in that price range.

Since I've lived here I've made an attempt to buy as many things from local stores as possible and I will continue to do so, while hoping we get a Whole Foods, a Restoration Hardware and an Anthropologie that I can shop at occasionally.

oneforone
03-04-2010, 02:10 AM
I agree with the buy local movement because I try to spend my money with local businesses here in Midwest City. However, there are some things that the mom and pop places do not carry.

At one time we had a nice mix of national and local companies for almost every service. Unfortunately, many of them folded when the SuperCenter and other big box concepts were born. A larger majority of them quit out of fear Wal-Mart and other big box stores would put them under. Little did they know the local community would have kept them in business.

Buchanan's in South Oklahoma City was one that I think would have survived if they stayed in business. All three of their stores had something no other store had which was a small town feel. They could have very easily took the road that Crest took. Worst case scenario they could have downsized and operated as three specialty stores. (4th and Eastern, 119th and Western and 89th and Penn.)

I still miss their hot and fresh donuts. When I was kid, they were a Saturday Morning staple at my house.

PennyQuilts
03-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Hmm, well I never said that WF & Trader Joes = homeland or buy-4-less.

I'm actually not really sure where you're trying to go with this.

A quick look in the yellow pages shows me LOTS of locally and OK owned alternatives.

short list:

Oklahoma Food Cooperative
Sooner Produce
First Fruits Berry Farm
Pinata Produce
Agnew Grocery
Anderson Food mart
Angels Produce

and, of course, Akins

I've only lived here for a few months so I, of course, don't know where ALL the locally owned grocery places are, but I'm sure this "Keep It Local" initiative can produce a bunch more alternatives.

Maybe if more of these stores were supported by the locals, they would thrive and become as "elite" as WF. Of course, maybe WF will see this initiative and decide it's not in their best interest to enter such a hostile market.

<shrug> who knows?

You aren't the crazy one. It is often a question of trendiness, on some of these chain stores. Very inconsistent but being trendy isn't about being consistent.

You know, I always enjoyed going to Trader Joes but let's face it - it was just easy to go there and get stuff. Buying and supporting local takes effort and commitment. I think its great and support it. I'm almost embarassed to talk about Traders Joes because I feel like I am advertising that I'd rather spend money than take the time. Sorta goes against a protestant work ethic, don't cha know. But for a lot of people, they have more money than time and I get that.

stephy
03-04-2010, 08:20 AM
I guess I wasn't making my point clear enough.

Here's what I don't understand.

You guys want the major chains the real cities have; WF, Anthropologie, etc..

You guys also want to embrace the "Keep it Local" mentality.

Why would the chains place a new store here, in a brand new market if they see that there is a strong "keep it local" movement? with the exception of chain-branded items, there's almost nothing in those stores you can't get locally. What incentive do those stores have to move to a location which has chosen to ignore the existing chains in favor of locally-owned business?

Yes, they are mutually exclusive.

metro
03-04-2010, 09:00 AM
stephy,

Most large cities like Dallas or San Fran have a large "keep it local" movements and they seem to do just fine, and keep a balance of the highly desirable chains as well.

bluedogok
03-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Most large cities like Dallas or San Fran have a large "keep it local" movements and they seem to do just fine, and keep a balance of the highly desirable chains as well.
The same here in Austin with the Keep Austin Weird slogan by the Austin Independent Business Alliance (http://www.ibuyaustin.com/). We have most of the national chains and high end stores here and most of them have opened up in recent years but there is still pretty thriving local business environment...of course one of the "big ones" in Whole Foods is "local" here.

RadioOKC
03-05-2010, 12:08 AM
I like the movement. Both this program and the Allied Arts card do have relationships with unique local retailers. I think a lot of people have gotten wrapped up in the mega store mentality and these discount cards offer a diversion from the ordinary.

tuck
03-05-2010, 05:31 AM
The same here in Austin with the Keep Austin Weird slogan by the Austin Independent Business Alliance (http://www.ibuyaustin.com/). We have most of the national chains and high end stores here and most of them have opened up in recent years but there is still pretty thriving local business environment...of course one of the "big ones" in Whole Foods is "local" here.

Austin has done as good a job as any large city in the country of perfecting this balancing act. Reminds me that I need to get down there NOW!!

gmwise
03-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/KeepItLocalOK?ref=ts)

Twitter (http://twitter.com/keepitlocalok)

Web (http://www.keepitlocalok.com)

Thank you.

gracefor24
03-06-2010, 03:26 PM

LOL, you mean the slogan that Austin stole from Portland? :)

kevinpate
03-06-2010, 03:39 PM
LOL, you mean the slogan that Austin stole from Portland? :)

Portland is weird? Perhaps, but not compared to Eugene. They were downright, um, er, interesting peeps. Maybe they've mellowed. it has been a while.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
03-06-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't think buying local and wanting a few national chains are necessarily mutually exclusive. One of the reasons some of the national chains exist is because they offer either unique or interesting items that aren't available elsewhere. One can do some shopping in those types of stores while also attempting to support stores that are locally owned. Most of those chains started out as a single store somewhere. For example, Restoration Hardware sells drapes and curtain rods. It's virtually impossible to buy those from a strictly local store in that price range.

Since I've lived here I've made an attempt to buy as many things from local stores as possible and I will continue to do so, while hoping we get a Whole Foods, a Restoration Hardware and an Anthropologie that I can shop at occasionally.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't think they are mutually exclusive, and as metro said, represent a healthy market.

As for the movement, I hope they can add more stores soon! The card is a great idea.

stephy
03-06-2010, 10:48 PM
stephy,

Ah. So what you're saying is that Dallas & San Francisco both had strong "Keep it Local" movements going on prior to/ongoing when places like Whole Foods setting up shop?

Interesting, I'd like to see some proof of this since I'm pretty sure the exact opposite was actually the case and invalidates your entire argument.

ljbab728
03-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Ah. So what you're saying is that Dallas & San Francisco both had strong "Keep it Local" movements going on prior to/ongoing when places like Whole Foods setting up shop?

Interesting, I'd like to see some proof of this since I'm pretty sure the exact opposite was actually the case and invalidates your entire argument.

Stephy, I'm not saying you're wrong, but you're asking other people to give proof for their statements when the only proof you're giving for your opinion is "I'm pretty sure".

RedDirt717
03-08-2010, 04:52 AM
Just went through everyone of Stephy's 32 posts looking anything positive about Oklahoma City.

Not a one, in fact they aren't even normal posts. Everyone of them is negative.

stephy
03-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Just went through everyone of Stephy's 32 posts looking anything positive about Oklahoma City.

Not a one, in fact they aren't even normal posts. Everyone of them is negative.

And?

What does your personal attack on me have to do with this thread?

Martin
03-09-2010, 12:58 PM
alright, peeps... let's keep things civil. -M

gracefor24
03-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Portland is weird? Perhaps, but not compared to Eugene. They were downright, um, er, interesting peeps. Maybe they've mellowed. it has been a while.

LOL, yeah, Eugene is on it's own level.

gen70
03-09-2010, 06:29 PM
I was raised in OKC but, have been away since 1986. Anywhere I go and happen to see a product from OK., I buy it. I quess it just reminds me of home.

RedDirt717
03-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Just picked up my card, I'm going to go ahead and get behind the movement.

RedDirt717
03-10-2010, 09:04 AM
And?

What does your personal attack on me have to do with this thread?

Do you even know what a personal attack is?

Pointing out that you have had nothing but negative things to say is not personal attack...anymore than me pointing out someone wearing a blue shirt is wearing a blue shirt.

Nice try though.

You clearly have an agenda here, just letting every one know that hasn't already caught on.

DaveSkater
03-10-2010, 09:30 AM
This is the first I've heard of this local movement. Thanks for the links. I'm a firm believer in Local support.

To bad we can't institute this concept on a national level as well. I'm personally sick of buying chinese crap.

progressiveboy
03-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Pointing out that you have had nothing but negative things to say is not personal attack...anymore than me pointing out someone wearing a blue shirt is wearing a blue shirt.

Nice try though.

You clearly have an agenda here, just letting every one know that hasn't already caught on. Agree! It seems Stephy is trying to be very antaganistic and "somewhat" hostile. This is my perception and opinion and not a personal attack on her as a person but perhaps her "attitude".

soonerguru
03-10-2010, 09:50 AM
This is the first I've heard of this local movement. Thanks for the links. I'm a firm believer in Local support.

To bad we can't institute this concept on a national level as well. I'm personally sick of buying chinese crap.

We can! No one is making us buy cheap trinkets from China!

That's why I don't shop at Wal-Mart any more.

metro
03-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Guys don't feed the troll.

stephy
03-11-2010, 06:53 AM

Nice try though.

You clearly have an agenda here, just letting every one know that hasn't already caught on.

What's your problem?

None of your personal feeling towards me has anything to do with the topic of this thread.

All I did was point out that a "Keep it Local" movement is in direct conflict with the threads on this forum clamoring for big name National chains to move here, namely Whole Foods.

When posters started whining about how there's no local alternative here to places like Whole Foods(or any other national grocery chain) I posted a number of alternatives that I saw at first glance in the phone book.

I'm trying to understand how any of you think a national chain, which is known to be very picky about locations, would choose to move to a place with a "Keep it Local" atmosphere creating a possibly hostile environment?

Now tell me, How The F*ck is that "Negative"?

Get back on topic.

------------------------------------------
Actually RedDirt717, do whatever you want, I took the advice of some people here and put you on ignore. Attack me all you want.

fuzzytoad
03-11-2010, 07:30 AM
What's your problem?

None of your personal feeling towards me has anything to do with the topic of this thread.

All I did was point out that a "Keep it Local" movement is in direct conflict with the threads on this forum clamoring for big name National chains to move here, namely Whole Foods.

When posters started whining about how there's no local alternative here to places like Whole Foods(or any other national grocery chain) I posted a number of alternatives that I saw at first glance in the phone book.

I'm trying to understand how any of you think a national chain, which is known to be very picky about locations, would choose to move to a place with a "Keep it Local" atmosphere creating a possibly hostile environment?

Get back on topic.

Actually RedDirt717, do whatever you want, I took the advice of some people here and put you on ignore. Attack me all you want.

:congrats:

metro
03-11-2010, 07:41 AM

I know this comment wasn't directed at me, but AGAIN, as others have mentioned; other cities, namely Austin,TX where Whole Foods is based, is the epitome of "Keep it Local" movements and Whole Foods, Sprouts and others moved in just fine. I doubt they are in the least bit worried about the even bigger than OKC's "Keep it Local" movement. The fact is there aren't any local grocery stores that can compare to a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc. Economies of scale kick in when you have chains, unfortunately. A local competitor just can't compete with the selection and price of a chain like Whole Foods. The places you mentioned like Akins are a joke and aren't even comparable, and Akins is the biggest alternative around. Life is full of contradictions, especially in good sized cities. The suburban movement is FARRRRRR bigger in OKC then this "Keep it Local" movement will ever be anyways.

ljbab728
03-11-2010, 10:22 PM

Get back on topic.

Stephy, that kind of language has no place on this forum and I hope the moderator will monitor that. There are some minors who read this. It does nothing to either further this thread or your point of view. Please keep it civil. You certainly have a right to express your viewpoint on the topic, however.

RedDirt717
03-12-2010, 02:02 AM
Well, I've never called anyone a name on here.

I've never personally attacked anyone. I voice my opinion unapologetically, and if someone is constantly dogging on OKC, or has nothing good to say about the city I've grown to love I dont mind them "blocking" me. If Stephy has ever said anything positive or even neutral about Oklahoma I'd be OK with him/her questioning this particular movement, but the fact of the matter is she's been in several posts I've glanced over dogging the people here, pardon me for questioning her motives.

So block me, I'm cool with that...I'm pretty sure others like ronnie, and HVAC have done similar measure because they didn't really like my opinion. Some people just want to be petulant without objection, but whatever.

So back to topic;

There isn't anything wrong with wanting a Whole Food, et al. All this means is we want better quality here. If someone local could come in and provide that in a grocery, of that size, immediately I'm sure all of us would be behind it 100%. They're giant corporate chains, they thrive on taking out the little guy...I've never heard of walmart deciding not to go into a city because the local vendors created "to hostile" a environment, that's just ridiculous.

The point of all this is, instead of going to Arby's, go to Sonic...instead of Panera, go to Prairie Thunder Baking Company. Keep the wealth here in the city, other large cities have similar measures. Austin, St. Louis, Chicago, DC, etc, etc...it doesn't keep WF and friends from starting business there.

So yah, shop where ever you want, but if you have an option in pure quality between buying your seafood from Target, or Avalon...go to Avalon. Outback, or Red Prime...go Red Prime.... If whole foods comes and you want a certain product from them, buy from them, but if that same product is at Wheelers, buy from Wheelers. It's pretty simple.

Some people are here just to be nay sayers.

If you're one of those people, go ahead and block me.

stephy
03-12-2010, 07:13 AM
You certainly have a right to express your viewpoint on the topic, however.

No, apparently I don't. At least not according to the almost full inbox of hateful PMs from people on this forum.

fuzzytoad
03-12-2010, 07:29 AM
No, apparently I don't. At least not according to the almost full inbox of hateful PMs from people on this forum.

That's business as usual around here, I'm afraid...

Welcome to OKCTalk :-(

If you aren't 1000% positive about the newest fad or trend to hit the OKC "elite", or aren't a cheerleader for the city 99.9% of the time, you'll get attacked like that, been there many times unfortunately....

Just keep your head down and ignore what you can, they'll bait you non-stop if they think they can get you to lose your temper and do something to get yourself banned.....

gmwise
03-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Yup
The moo moos are waiting in the wings, and VERY selective as to who to go after.

ljbab728
03-12-2010, 10:20 PM

Stephy, as I told you in response to the PM you sent me, I hope you do continue to post. We don't have to agree with you but it helps sometimes to have opposing views so we don't get too satisfied that we have all of the answers. Please just respect the potential readers enough to use civil language when doing so.

betts
03-13-2010, 06:13 AM
I must say, after seeing several people post that they've gotten hateful PMs, that I'm surprised people here would do that sort of thing. We should be able to agree to disagree as adults and secret notes seem rather childish. I don't really enjoy posts from people who can't find something positive to say once in a while, but as long as they don't violate TOS they have a place here, IMO.

USG '60
03-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Whole Foods vs Walmart. I heard this story reported on NPR yesterday. The Great Grocery Smackdown - Magazine - The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/03/the-great-grocery-smackdown/7904/) . Whole Foods didn't do too well as it turns out. Weird, eh?

Matt
05-05-2010, 01:19 PM
So how's the Keep It Local OK movement going?

Went to Pops for lunch today, was gonna buy a KIL card (which are sold there according to the KIL website (http://www.keepitlocalok.com/edmond/members/edmond-east-arcadia-pops.htm)), and the woman knew nothing about Pops selling them. She said they accepted them, they just didn't sell them.

Kind of disappointing. I know I could buy a card online, I just wanted to buy one there since I'm at Pops more than I'm at any other KIL-partner location.